• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Wii

Smash Rookie
BILLY AGE 8 said:
Many people that are gamers agree completely with me that the "wiistick" will suck and they wont use it..
I'm glad you've decided it sucks, without ever having tried it. Now, saying it's incompatible with your style of play... that's different. I can understand that. I won't play Emulated games on the computer because I vastly prefer playing them with a controller in my hand. If that's how you want to play games, more power to you.

And I'd like to lol at Giygas, for saying "stroke."

And Donkey Dong... if I could change my avatar, I would change it to that poster.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
So Nintendo is trying to loose customers outside of japan, they should do what the did with the NES make it Wii in Japan and Revolution everywhere else increasing their sales.

I know 5 people at my school that where going to by the revolution because of it's name but now I will remain the only person in my grade to have a nintendo console great one nintendo.

I don't mind the name but they really should have named it something people wouldn't hate, I got back from Easter Holidays today and the nerds where laughing say are you going to get a wii for your birthday Brad, I just said yes I am actually then started paying them out, but that's not the point the name is so bad that nerds mocked me NERDS mocked ME that never happens I make them cry, I don;t get mocked by them.

Nintendo needs to think about this for a second which market has more people Japan or The Americas, Europe, Australia and other countries, now I know that Market 2 or as you yanks call it the american market is bigger by a substatial number but does Nintendo know it?

valoem

Smash Journeyman
McFox said:
People were planning to buy the Revolution based on its name alone?

I find that completely ridiculous.
LOL there was a lot of smack talk about Wii here. I only read the first page which didnt have disgruntle fans so i posted an alternate thread about the dissatisfaction I had with the name, my apologies.

Even though, I'm sure no one was going to by the revolution just for the name. There is no doubt that name plays a huge factor. For the casual gamer, or for that matter, the causal person, name could very will be the defining factor in which system to buy. For example if your average middle school student would most certain not by the Wii if he wasnt a major Nintendo fan. That name by itself brings ridicule. However hopefully this name is just a joke. Esp Super Smash Brothers Wii ROFL.

SSBW just sounds awkward, SSBR, on the other hand, thats just sexy.

EDIT: reminds me of how sometimes nintendo has good marketing strategies (for clarification) such as:

And then sometimes its just plain awful

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Indeed. The trend of naming games after the console it's on went out with the N64.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, but it did happen on the 64...and that was just about it, actually.

Anyway...

"Nintendo needs to think about this for a second which market has more people Japan or The Americas, Europe, Australia and other countries, now I know that Market 2 or as you yanks call it the american market is bigger by a substatial number but does Nintendo know it?"

Did you NOT read what I posted earlier?
Yes, there may be more money in America,m but it's already taken up by Sony and Microsoft!
Nintendo is making their money in Japan because in Japan there's room for them, but there's little room for them here in America.
Although I do think it would be interesting to pull a Famicon/NES, I don't think they will.
But who knows?

Anyway, if ANYONE is going to buy something based on its name alone, they're ******** consumers, period.
Name may be what draws people in, but it shouldn't be what sells.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Destiny Smasher, I respect the views that you're professing, but some of the things that you said in your previous long post had some inexplicable logic gaps. . .and no matter how you (or anyone else) tries to rationalize Nintendo's decision, it still doesn't make sense.

Destiny Smasher said:
Should the name of their next console try to attract a riskier market of people who have a jaded view of them anyway, or attract a market where they know they can make more money and have support behind them?
Tough choice, eh? >_>
Nintendo has an established fanbase and marketshare in Japan. I think everybody agrees to that fact. However, Nintendo's choice not to attract the so-called "riskier" market in the US/EU is oddly contradictory to their much-touted "blue ocean" strategy. They've said time and again that they want to attract new people that will eventually expand the demographic of gamers beyond the standard 13-24 male demographic. . .except by ignoring the US/EU and not trying to attract that market, they're missing out a huge portion of girls, women, elderly and other people that live in the US/EU that could satisfy Nintendo's "blue ocean" ambition.

It'd make sense for Nintendo to try to appeal to the US/EU market. After all, passively relying on the same market and fanbase (in Japan) is simply a stupid business move to make, while Sony and MS continue to expand their foothold in the US/EU. . .that's called stagnation, and I'd find it hard to believe that Nintendo executives would want that scenario to play out. That's why Nintendo is following blue ocean in the first place, to specifically expand its market share to different demographics--which would be more incentive to appeal to the US/EU market, not less.

Which is why I still can't understand why Nintendo would choose a name that would potentially give them a bad PR image in the US/EU market.

Destiny Smasher said:
Nintendo products are accepted greatly and selling well, so Nintendo can market them and reach success.
If people in America think Nintendo is stupid anyway, how the heck is having a fancy name or fancy commercials going to change that? It's not.
But in Japan, it will draw more in.
I'm not sure I follow. Isn't the whole point of marketing to make your product more appealing and more desirable to the targeted audience? Whether you admit it or not, ads do work. . .people who aren't in the "core gamers" category will be sitting on the fence, as well as those people Nintendo hopes to attract that don't specifically qualify as gamers. By advertising their new console to these people, Nintendo could possibly attract a new household and thereby gain more revenue.

If all companies followed the kind of fatalistic approach to business that you described, then there'd be very little innovation and very little entry into the market. If Sony in Japan in the early 90's thought that "Oh crap, Nintendo holds the majority of the market share in Japan; our fancy name and commercials can't possibly hope to convert the Nintendo fanboys out there," then there'd be a much different videogame market now.

Point is, ignoring the US/EU market in any way, or failing to cater to their needs, or failing to devote a large portion of their advertising to the said regions, all amount to business suicide. . .it especially wouldn't make sense given that it flies directly against Nintendo's "blue ocean" strategy.

. . .I'm not trying to be argumentative Destiny Smasher, it's just that Nintendo's decision to name the console the "Wii" fails to make any sort of marketing sense. I'm running this thing over in my mind, and I can't think of any way to properly justify it. I have no problem with the name itself, btw, it's just that the logic behind naming the console as such eludes me.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Destiny Smasher said:
Kingdom Hearts 2 crossover joke here:

Huzzah for Scott and his VG Cats
I saw this yesterday, and I don't get it. Someone explain it to me. I can see she's in an Organization XIII robe, but I don't understand the joke.

beckhamisaqueer

Smash Cadet
Destiny Smasher said:
No, but it did happen on the 64...and that was just about it, actually.

Anyway...

"Nintendo needs to think about this for a second which market has more people Japan or The Americas, Europe, Australia and other countries, now I know that Market 2 or as you yanks call it the american market is bigger by a substatial number but does Nintendo know it?"

Did you NOT read what I posted earlier?
Yes, there may be more money in America,m but it's already taken up by Sony and Microsoft!
Nintendo is making their money in Japan because in Japan there's room for them, but there's little room for them here in America.
Although I do think it would be interesting to pull a Famicon/NES, I don't think they will.
But who knows?

Anyway, if ANYONE is going to buy something based on its name alone, they're ******** consumers, period.
You're right about Japan having a better fanbase, I'll give you that.

But Nintendo isn't realizing how many people they could have in America as well, by simply changing the name in english speaking countries. I'm no expert on this, but I don't believe making a name and trademarking it is overly difficult, considering it could sway at least a few hundred thousand name-freaks.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
McFox said:
I saw this yesterday, and I don't get it. Someone explain it to me. I can see she's in an Organization XIII robe, but I don't understand the joke.
I beleive she'd dressed as Axl.

As for the joke, I think it has something to do with how Nintedo said it was easy to remeber or something...

xianfeng

Smash Hero
McFox said:
People were planning to buy the Revolution based on its name alone?

I find that completely ridiculous.
they wanted to say they would own the revolution but that's not the point the point is that's money they turn down so thats about $200 on the game about $100 on 1-2 extra controllers about $200 on games, $50 on downloads and $50 on internet connection these are estimates but thats a lot of money if you duplicate it for several people

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
xianfeng said:
they wanted to say they would own the revolution but that's not the point the point is that's money they turn down so thats about $200 on the game about $100 on 1-2 extra controllers about $200 on games, $50 on downloads and $50 on internet connection these are estimates but thats a lot of money if you duplicate it for several people
Now let's compare that to an Xbox 360.
  • $400 ~ "Real" Xbox 360 (not Core)
  • $200-240 ~ 4 games (same amount of games you suggested)
  • $100 ~ 2 wireless controllers (your estimate of $100 for 2 controllers is somewhat absurd. I mean, if Nintendo wants the Wii to be affordable, the controllers wouldn't be $50 apiece. Just an observation)
  • $50 ~ 1 year of Xbox Live Gold (the only way you can play online)
  • $50 ~ Internet connection (your number, not mine)
    TOTAL: $800-$840
According to you, Wii will cost $600.

Summary:
  • You can get an Xbox 360, 4 games, 2 wireless controllers (not including what comes with the system), 1 year of Xbox Live Gold (online play), and an Internet connection for $800 to $840.
  • On the other hand, you can get a Wii, 4 games, 2 wireless controllers (not including what comes with the system), infinite Nintendo Wi-fi Connection time, $50 worth of retro games, and an Internet connection for $600 dollars (or $640 if you want to include to Nintendo USB dongle...).

EDIT: Sorry xianfeng if I misunderstood anything you said, but it's hard to understand when you don't use punctuation.

SuperChencho

Smash Ace
~My two cents

Mic_128 said:
Indeed. The trend of naming games after the console it's on went out with the N64.
They still do it to this day. Super Mario 64 DS obviously kept that trend going.

And how is "wii" supposed to be pronounced, anyway? When I saw it the name, I thought it was something like "why-two" (which sounds kinda cool anyway). I mean, you see wi-fi and you say "why-fie," not "wee-fee."

Stop and think for a second about the names consoles have had in the past. N64? That sound weird. XBox 360 sounds weird, too.

Bottom line is: I'll buy Nintendo's new console anyway. You can quote me on that and make fun of me all you want.

beckhamisaqueer

Smash Cadet
What people aren't realizing in this thread is that it doesn't really matter that you will being buying the Wii. It is about the masses. And there are masses of idiots on the borderline of buying a Wii that wil not because of the name.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
Sadly there are idiots that are on the borderline of buying the Wii just because of the name, but I think thats also cause they've yet to see what it can do. If the Wii can deliver on the potential that it has I think people won't really care what it's called.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
SuperChencho said:
They still do it to this day. Super Mario 64 DS obviously kept that trend going.
Oh yeah, forgot about <miscgame> DS.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
xianfeng said:
I was under the impression that online play would be free - especially since they mentioned it 20 times. Even so, it's a better deal than the X-Box 360 or PS3, and I'd pay more for it if I had to just because it's different than my computer.

BILLY AGE 8

Smash Cadet
well, i had another mid sized post ready, but my explorer crashed and i really dont feel like going throught another explanation, a lot arguing with Destiny Smashers last long post, so putting in all the quotes and stuff would just be a pain to reapeat

so what the main point was is

We DO classify people according to stuff more than video games
and do you really think nintendo cares that people do that, your just making crap up, nintendo doesnt care if its consumer population is called video gamers by the rest, which includes other groups such as jocks, computer nerds, anime nerds, tv addicts, movie addicts, and the various musically enforced groups.

also wouldnt it be smarter to try to expand their consumer audience and not stick to only the japanese, (in whom they already have a hold of, so theirs really no need to appeal more).

plus i never said i wouldnt use the system, just not that controller, i will use the wavebird model for the games i want. i am not going to use the remote, because i am completely sickened with it. I will get the system if they come out with titles that extremely appeal to me, such as zelda. and if you think thats dumb, think of all the people who got gamecubes because they were making resident evil games for it, or a zelda game, and with buying that they found new games for it that were decently making it worth buying the system.

you brought the DS into the picture, which is and OK system, in which i like to call a gameboy, and if that offends you because the released it as a Nintendo DS not a Gameboy DS, go cry about it, if its a nintendo brand handheld gaming system it is technically a gameboy. But bringing that in, all the difference it has is a touch screen, besides what i meant when i said, "because i dont believe nintendo will go beyond what i can do with two analog sticks and eight or so buttons." i meant the wii. all the motion thing does is sense Up, down, left right, forward, backward, and rotation, and tilting. ALL of which you can control with a couple anoalog sticks, and if you need a couple buttons, but thats why you have ten fingers to control all those at once. and usually one game doesnt use them all at once, maybe an airplane game, but usually you use two buttons for acceleration, and braking. In which is the case it still can control it all. The only thing i might not be able to do is the whole duck hunt type thing, in which i am fine with aiming with a central aim.

call me an immature 8 year old for speaking my mind and sharing what my my guess on what will happen to it, but i believe the wii will follow the downhill slope that nintendo has been on for years

BILLY AGE 8

Smash Cadet
Destiny Smasher said:
haha, this makes me laugh, this quote contradicts everything everyone is saying, "oh they changed the name to appeal better to the japanese" or "to appeal to the non-gamer". which both deal with the new name being the thing to appeal to consumers. yet this quote says that its ******** to base on name, so isnt it a mistake for nintendo to change the name to appeal in the wrong way, well at least according to you.

my opinion is The Wii, wont appeal, because it IS the name that sells. The reason nintendo has gotten this far is because of their name, NINTENDO, a name i grew up with. The name the main consumer of video games, has grown up with. Making the main consumer attracted to the nintendo name. Changing from nintendo to wii, hmmmm, big mistake in my view.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
I said what all of you said: You've got to be kidding me. Wii?
Is this some kind of joke?
Oh my god, they're serious! What was their marketing team thinking?!

Well, I guess it's not that bad...

Wii need a Revolution!

P.S. If Red Steel plays anything like Killer 7 (and from the sounds of it, it seems about as close as any game will ever get) it'll be a definate must-buy for me.

xianfeng

Smash Hero
Doggalina said:
Now let's compare that to an Xbox 360.
  • $400 ~ "Real" Xbox 360 (not Core)
  • $200-240 ~ 4 games (same amount of games you suggested)
  • $100 ~ 2 wireless controllers (your estimate of $100 for 2 controllers is somewhat absurd. I mean, if Nintendo wants the Wii to be affordable, the controllers wouldn't be $50 apiece. Just an observation)
  • $50 ~ 1 year of Xbox Live Gold (the only way you can play online)
  • $50 ~ Internet connection (your number, not mine)
    TOTAL: $800-$840
According to you, Wii will cost $600.

Summary:
  • You can get an Xbox 360, 4 games, 2 wireless controllers (not including what comes with the system), 1 year of Xbox Live Gold (online play), and an Internet connection for $800 to $840.
  • On the other hand, you can get a Wii, 4 games, 2 wireless controllers (not including what comes with the system), infinite Nintendo Wi-fi Connection time, $50 worth of retro games, and an Internet connection for $600 dollars (or $640 if you want to include to Nintendo USB dongle...).

EDIT: Sorry xianfeng if I misunderstood anything you said, but it's hard to understand when you don't use punctuation.
I was making estimates, I assumed they would be cheap because Nintendo is aiming for affordability.

I don't need to use the punctuation on the internet because The Internet is the Internet not an english clasroom.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
An english classroom is preparation for when you are in situations where you need to use written words to communicate properly with other people, ie: the internet.

BILLY AGE 8 said:
my opinion is The Wii, wont appeal, because it IS the name that sells. The reason nintendo has gotten this far is because of their name, NINTENDO, a name i grew up with. The name the main consumer of video games, has grown up with. Making the main consumer attracted to the nintendo name. Changing from nintendo to wii, hmmmm, big mistake in my view.
It won't appeal to YOU. So you and your friends don't like it, eh? When were you discussing this; in the bath? Other people will still find appeal in it, even if it does have a ridiculous name. Google isn't going spectacularly because it's called Google. It's going spectacularly because it's capable of finding thousands upon thousands upon thousands of websites loosely based on the same subject in less than a second. People will still find the Wii's sleek looks and intriguing controller appealing, and, if we're all lucky, they'll find having Spore on it appealing.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
wow everyone is still debating the name. well, when my sister saw the name she said:

''ha. the video is good but that's so stupid. it sounds like wee for when our dog goes. but i guess it's kinda cute....i like it more than revolution. that name was just stupid''

imo, she is the exact sort of market nintendo are trying to appeal to. non-gamers find the revolution to be a more threatening word. my sister enjoyed the DS very much and games like wario ware, phoenix wright and nintendogs. if nintendo market wii properly i think it can be a good move. people put too much emphasis on the urine references online. in normal life, people dont care so much >.>

this is another way of me saying nintendo has committed commercial suicide in UK.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
BILLY AGE 8 said:
A brilliant observation contradiction!

You do realize that the name is the NINTENDO Wii, right? According to you, changing the name from "Revolution" to "Wii" shouldn't make a difference because (remember, this is according to you) as long as "Nintendo" is attached the system will sell.

Venom Dream

Smash Champion
Actually, as much as I disagree with Mr. 8 Year Old here, it is just called the Wii. They are dropping the word Nintendo. It was in the IGN artical.

THE WII, not the Nintendo Wii

I don't need to use the punctuation on the internet because The Internet is the Internet not an english clasroom.
Fine, don't use punctuation. Just be aware, it's a good way to get yourself ignored/lose respect/look like an idiot/make your posts hard to read.

germ

Smash Cadet
billy they are all right. the company will still be called nintendo. but the new system will just be called wii. yes the name is absolutely ridiculous but if your name was "princess persephone" i would still be your friend. what im trying to say is, its just a name, who cares. and plus, you havent even tried playing it yet so dont knock it till you tried it.

MeleeMan

Smash Ace
NNID
WilderFTW
3DS FC
2105-9709-5961
So they're not even adding Nintendo to the front of "Wii"? What are they thinking...? If nothing else it seems like the name Nintendo would help it sell more than just... Wii...

BACH

BRoomer
BRoomer
New Yotk people - go watch the press confrense Live from Nintendo World

Planet GameCube said:
Those of you in New York City can see Nintendo's big moment--live!

The Nintendo World Store is hosting a special event on May 9. As part of the store's first year anniversary, Nintendo plans on showing their E3 press conference live to the public at 12:30 PM Eastern Time, on a first-come first-served basis.

After the conference concludes, the party will continue with competition and prize giveaways. There will also be a late-evening RSVP-only event, though details on how to register are not known at this time.

This is a golden opportunity for fans on the east coast to see Nintendo reveal the Wii once and for all, as well as show what else is coming down the road for the DS. Of course, if you can't make it to the NWS, you can keep your eyes glued to PGC for our week-long E3 coverage!

kaid

Smash Master
BILLY AGE 8 said:
all the motion thing does is sense Up, down, left right, forward, backward, and rotation, and tilting. ALL of which you can control with a couple anoalog sticks, and if you need a couple buttons, but thats why you have ten fingers to control all those at once.

Wrong. with two analog sticks, a normal controller supports 2 analog inputs (up/down and left/right) for each stick, making a total of 4 analog inputs.

The Wiimote has:
3 analog tilt inputs,
3 analog position inputs,
2 analog x/y coordinate inputs from the pointer
6 analog inputs from the nunchaku accelerometers
and 2 analog inputs from the nunchaku control stick.

...Totalling 16 analog inputs. you CANNOT do everything with 2 analog sticks.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Venom Dream said:
Actually, as much as I disagree with Mr. 8 Year Old here, it is just called the Wii. They are dropping the word Nintendo. It was in the IGN artical.

THE WII, not the Nintendo Wii
The title of the article is "Introducing the Nintendo Wii." The link to the IGN channel reads "Nintendo Wii." Nintendo would have to be stupid (not crazy) to get rid of the "Nintendo". Even Sony puts Sony Playstation in front of the PS2 (officially). And, before you say, "Well, we don't say 'Sony' in PS2.", we don't put "Nintedo" before Gamecube, either.

Oh, and Billy, do analog stick detect depth? I didn't think so.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Doggalina, just to be clear Nintendo said that the system will simply be called Wii. This is because Nintendos name is identifiable to video games and Nintendo doesn't want potential customers to look at the system and just think it is for "gamers".

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Doggalina said:
Gotcha Cashed. I see that logic there. Simply "Wii" would appeal to non-gamers rather than "Nintendo Wii." It's too bad that "Wii" is turning off so many gamers, but, heck, I'll buy it anyway.
Lol it was Chill, not Cashed who responded.
Chill just stole his Ava while Cashed has a new 1 now.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Actually, the avatars are normal now. I switched them about a week ago, and only just changed them back. :p

I still think the initial dissatisfaction most people had with Wii is going to go away, once they see how revolutionary (<-pun) the system really is. At the same time, people (read: nongamers) who'd never even heard of the Revolution won't know that it was supposed to be named that unless a gamer tells them. And the name "Revolution" is not going to attract nongamers. They're going to see that name as symbolizing a "Revolution" FOR GAMERS, which will not appeal to them at all.

Top Bottom