• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
well the point of me saying the 199$ thing was becaues all the consoles were at or very close to 199$ so maybe the revo will be 199$. if they do this........that will be a small bonus for nintendo.

red_samus3956

Smash Cadet
Cashed, did you read the price for the GC BUNDLE, not the console, the bundle came with about 10 games, and the console, the price fot the cube ONLY, was $150.....

BETA

Smash Ace
red_samus3956 said:
And, how can Nintendo not allow 56k internet accesablities on the Rev? (you know, for us poor people!) Online gaming on the Rev. will be great, but if you have to pay $50 a month for the internet that the Rev can play on, then no one will play it!
You can get broadband for $30/month............

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
noo...cashed is right about the $200 price. it was a hardware bundle, what the standard console comes with(console, controller, ac adapter).

darn it.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
red_samus3956 said:
Cashed, did you read the price for the GC BUNDLE, not the console, the bundle came with about 10 games, and the console, the price fot the cube ONLY, was $150.....
The GameCube launch price was $200 - just for the cube. I don't know what ****ty bundles you are referring to but all of Nintendo's main home console systems have historically launched for $200. Including the GameCube. I should know, I bought one myself for that price.

BEAM swordzman

Smash Journeyman
beckhamisaqueer said:
^

As did I.
Please type longer posts.
but why are we debating over the original GC price? the GC did sold for $200.

I kno this is old but, do developers now have kits for revolution?

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The Great Marth said:
but u can also use the revo online features with a 56k hook up.
It requires highspeed internet. You cannot go online with 56k. Also, if you have 56k, it's time to get with the times. Over 50% of homes with computers now have broadband, and it's $10-20 more a month.

redsamus guy said:
And, how can Nintendo not allow 56k internet accesablities on the Rev? (you know, for us poor people!) Online gaming on the Rev. will be great, but if you have to pay $50 a month for the internet that the Rev can play on, then no one will play it!
2 million plus Xbox Live users disagree.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
well do u think the games wil be higher in price? ive heard that the revo is the cheapest of the 3 systems to develop for but does that mean it will still be 49.99 for a game?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
There's a very likely chance that Revolution games will stay at $50 to compete with XBox 360 games, which will also be staying at $50 a game. That hasn't been confirmed, but Nintendo is pushing to be the most affordable console, so it makes sense that its games won't be more than the competition's.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Holy. Crap. If everyone continues to make such terrible, moronic posts with such slaughtered versions of the english language, I'm going to go into a total paroxysm of rage. Every last few pages is filled was complete and utter crap. The idiocy in those posts is ineffable.

Oh, I think I'm going into convulsions now. Guess I overdosed on stupid.

Edit: this is mostly aimed at The Great Marth.

SuperMajinLink 287

Smash Lord
JediMasterYoda98 said:
Holy. Crap. If everyone continues to make such terrible, moronic posts with such slaughtered versions of the english language, I'm going to go into a total paroxysm of rage. Every last few pages is filled was complete and utter crap. The idiocy in those posts is ineffable.

Oh, I think I'm going into convulsions now. Guess I overdosed on stupid.
Such intelligence and prowess, huh Mr. I'm such an arrogant SOB?

Yeah, anyways, I'm more than positive that the GCN launch price was $200.00 and Revolution will most likely do the same. Also, I'm hoping games stay in the price range of 40-50.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
MajinLink 287 said:
Such intelligence and prowess, huh Mr. I'm such an arrogant SOB?

Da illest said:
gamecube launch was 150 dollas.............WHERE TO GET BROADBAND FOR 50 DOLLAS OR LESS?

He has a point.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
A RECAP ON THE LAST TWO PAGES

Mostly it was about money. Money money money.

A lot of people said stuff about $200. Somebody else said $199. Then somebody else said, "No, it's $150." Then another person said $50. Intense debating ensued.

In the end, it was decided that the previous consoles cost various amounts of money, and that it doesn't really matter at all. As for the Revolution, it was decided that nobody actually knows what the price will be since it has not been announced, even though lots of people speculated different amounts and disagreed a lot.

</recap>

Yeah. So now we can move on.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
This is an amazingly clever and enlightening post.

Currently, we don't have any official release date or launch price of Nintendo's next gen console. All we know is that its coming, and that its the next console to be released by Nintendo. Several have argued that its release cost will be 200 dollars (or 199.99 for you nitpicky penny pinchers). Evidence suggests that the Revolution will cost 200 dollars if not a little more. The first strongest piece of evidence we have is Nintendo's word. They have already stated that they are shooting for a 200 dollar release price. That is only an estimate though, and quite often what is being shot for is usually missed, and if it is, it might be aimed a little high. If that information is actually false, then the second strongest piece of evidence we have is the trend of Nintendo's past consoles, All of which released for 200, or less, dollars, as memories and evidence suggests. We haven't, however, dealt with a console of this magnitude. Again, however, the same scenario has been played out three times previous to the up and coming launch of the Revolution. Technology is making constant advances that allow for such powerful consoles to become cheaper and cheaper.

Nintendo hasn't been making money off of GC console sales, rather, it gets its income (from the GC aspect of its sales) from its games, another fact that has been stated by Nintendo. The optical medium is extremely cheap to produce, especially from a manufacturer's standpoint (a dollar for a CD, and a couple dollars per DVD.) The profit margin on even the average 30 dollar GC game comes out around 900% for Nintendo and the developers. (including the extra cost from shipping, store stocking fees, store profit, etc. etc. Assuming a disc costs about 1.5 dollars to make, add an extra 50 cents for printing the manual and putting it in a case, and that Nintendo sells it to, say, a Wal-mart for approx 20 dollars.) With those kinds of profit margins, they can afford to lose a little on the console. If they start selling it at cost for 200 dollars (assuming thats the at cost price of production at the time of its release, which does go down over time) once it comes out, then their profit margin is 0%, but only for one sale per household. The video games, however, are making thousands of % in profit margins per sale, and that profit margin can be achieved several times per household that owns a Revolution. Having a lower profit margin on the sale of the Console encourages the less spendy shoppers to be drawn towards buying a Revolution over its competitors since its a "long-term" investment in the gaming world. Once they own a revolution, they have the option of all the Revolution titles, which is a force to be reckconed with. The games are supposed to cost at least 50 dollars brand new, giving Nintendo extremely high profit margins assuming they sell games to vendors for at least 50% of what the vendor retails it for.

I hope SOMEONE thinks this post is at least somewhat clever and/or enlightening... If not, heres a disclaimer for you haters. V Enjoy ^_^

(DISCLAIMER: Should said amazingly clever and elightening post, heretofor referred to as the ACEP ((A)mazingly (C)lever and (E)nlightening (P)ost) not meet the required standards of the reader's, heretofor referred to as the second party, concept of Amazingly Clever and/or Enlightening, I, heretofor referred to as the first party, retain all rights to denounce that said ACEP was ever declared Amazingly Clever and/or Enlightening, regardless of evidence physical, ethereal, and/or electronic produced by the second party. Should the second party sustain damages during viewing of the ACEP whether by content within the ACEP due to lack of understanding and/or reading comprehension, or by an act of God, the first party retains the right to void any claims or suits filed against it.)

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Nice

Vir_Iratus said:
This is an amazingly clever and enlightening post.

Currently, we don't have any official release date or launch price of Nintendo's next gen console. All we know is that its coming, and that its the next console to be released by Nintendo. Several have argued that its release cost will be 200 dollars (or 199.99 for you nitpicky penny pinchers). Evidence suggests that the Revolution will cost 200 dollars if not a little more. The first strongest piece of evidence we have is Nintendo's word. They have already stated that they are shooting for a 200 dollar release price. That is only an estimate though, and quite often what is being shot for is usually missed, and if it is, it might be aimed a little high. If that information is actually false, then the second strongest piece of evidence we have is the trend of Nintendo's past consoles, All of which released for 200, or less, dollars, as memories and evidence suggests. We haven't, however, dealt with a console of this magnitude. Again, however, the same scenario has been played out three times previous to the up and coming launch of the Revolution. Technology is making constant advances that allow for such powerful consoles to become cheaper and cheaper.

Nintendo hasn't been making money off of GC console sales, rather, it gets its income (from the GC aspect of its sales) from its games, another fact that has been stated by Nintendo. The optical medium is extremely cheap to produce, especially from a manufacturer's standpoint (a dollar for a CD, and a couple dollars per DVD.) The profit margin on even the average 30 dollar GC game comes out around 900% for Nintendo and the developers. (including the extra cost from shipping, store stocking fees, store profit, etc. etc. Assuming a disc costs about 1.5 dollars to make, add an extra 50 cents for printing the manual and putting it in a case, and that Nintendo sells it to, say, a Wal-mart for approx 20 dollars.) With those kinds of profit margins, they can afford to lose a little on the console. If they start selling it at cost for 200 dollars (assuming thats the at cost price of production at the time of its release, which does go down over time) once it comes out, then their profit margin is 0%, but only for one sale per household. The video games, however, are making thousands of % in profit margins per sale, and that profit margin can be achieved several times per household that owns a Revolution. Having a lower profit margin on the sale of the Console encourages the less spendy shoppers to be drawn towards buying a Revolution over its competitors since its a "long-term" investment in the gaming world. Once they own a revolution, they have the option of all the Revolution titles, which is a force to be reckconed with. The games are supposed to cost at least 50 dollars brand new, giving Nintendo extremely high profit margins assuming they sell games to vendors for at least 50% of what the vendor retails it for.

I hope SOMEONE thinks this post is at least somewhat clever and/or enlightening... If not, heres a disclaimer for you haters. V Enjoy ^_^

(DISCLAIMER: Should said amazingly clever and elightening post, heretofor referred to as the ACEP ((A)mazingly (C)lever and (E)nlightening (P)ost) not meet the required standards of the reader's, heretofor referred to as the second party, concept of Amazingly Clever and/or Enlightening, I, heretofor referred to as the first party, retain all rights to denounce that said ACEP was ever declared Amazingly Clever and/or Enlightening, regardless of evidence physical, ethereal, and/or electronic produced by the second party. Should the second party sustain damages during viewing of the ACEP whether by content within the ACEP due to lack of understanding and/or reading comprehension, or by an act of God, the first party retains the right to void any claims or suits filed against it.)

This is an amazingly clever and enlightening post! This is very well thought out. Keep it up!

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
I have a question......

If i only used my revo for dowloading ALL the NES,SNES,and N64 games...........could all of those game fit in the 512MB of mem?

or is that way to much data?

Gnight

Smash Journeyman
The Great Marth said:
I have a question......

If i only used my revo for dowloading ALL the NES,SNES,and N64 games...........could all of those game fit in the 512MB of mem?

or is that way to much data?
No. You can't fit all of the NES, SNES, and n64 games into 512MB media.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Perhaps all NES games, but definitely not anything more. There's roughly 5400 SNES games, IIRC, and most are larger than 500 kb, so not even a quarter of SNES games.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It was said that you can upload the saved Nes, Snes, ect games onto a computer.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Vir_Iratus said:
Ok, to be honest, I don't really give a crap about the prices, and I don't want to start the price argument again and I'm very sorry of this does, but I just have to argue with some points you made.

You seem to be forgetting that it costs a lot of money (seven figures) to actually MAKE the game. There is a surprising amount of effort that goes into a video game, and effort costs money. Sure, it's cheap to actually publish the thing, but the profits aren't as much as you are making them out to be.

Also, your theory would apply to all of the consoles.

MOVING ALONG
As far as I know, not all of the old NES etc titles will be available, especially not the third-party ones, so......I forgot what my point was...

I'm interested to see if you can download roms to your PC from the internet (it's illegal kids, don't do it) and play them on the Revolution...if you can indeed upload from the Revolution it means that you would have to be able to transfer the other way as well...so unless Nintendo has some uber-strong security thing, the new format of games will start popping up on the internet...not that I endorse it or anything, just pondering...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
ChRed2AKrisp said:
nintendo has stated that stated can be transferred to your computer via SD card, so space is not an issue.

I'm not going to look futher back than that.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Fierce Deity Vegeta said:
Ok, to be honest, I don't really give a crap about the prices, and I don't want to start the price argument again and I'm very sorry of this does, but I just have to argue with some points you made.

You seem to be forgetting that it costs a lot of money (seven figures) to actually MAKE the game. There is a surprising amount of effort that goes into a video game, and effort costs money. Sure, it's cheap to actually publish the thing, but the profits aren't as much as you are making them out to be.

Also, your theory would apply to all of the consoles.

MOVING ALONG
As far as I know, not all of the old NES etc titles will be available, especially not the third-party ones, so......I forgot what my point was...

I'm interested to see if you can download roms to your PC from the internet (it's illegal kids, don't do it) and play them on the Revolution...if you can indeed upload from the Revolution it means that you would have to be able to transfer the other way as well...so unless Nintendo has some uber-strong security thing, the new format of games will start popping up on the internet...not that I endorse it or anything, just pondering...
Don't mind if you want to argue something from it... thanks for reading it at least. The effort put into making a game can be split out evenly and stretched among the cost of production for every disc they make and sell. So for a game like Halo or Halo 2 where MILLIONS of copies were sold, the cost to actually make the game was more than covered. And true, while MS and Sony are makin' the same kind of profit margin off of the games themselves, they're a little more greedy than Nintendo it seems. Based off of how much their previous systems were sold for and what they were worth, it would suggest that they overpriced their goods, or at least just tried to make a profit off of the consoles too. This isn't a part of the price argument, just sayin' is all...

As far as the Roms go for the Revolution, it would be very possible to alter the Roms they sell for the Revolution so that they have a small encryption code located within their programs that would be recognizeable by a Revolution only (kinda like the security garbage at the beginning of PS discs) meaning you may not be able to download Roms off the internet to put on there. Just speculation really, but they might have such security measures. The files could also be in a zipped up format or something that only Revolutions can unzip, making it unusable on Computers, but can still be backed up onto a harddrive. A computer might look at it as if it were just a data file that couldn't be read, but it would still be the same file. I wouldn't be surprised if people immediately took all the stuff they downloaded for the Revolution and started sharing it so others could play it on the Revolution for free. I don't know though, Nintendo just might give the Roms away to anyone who buys a Revolution. We'll see.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I hope it uses regular SD cards, because I've got a bunch laying around from my ppc that I don't use much anymore. I think Nintendo will do a lot to prevent rom sharing.

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
Vir_Iratus said:
Don't mind if you want to argue something from it... thanks for reading it at least. The effort put into making a game can be split out evenly and stretched among the cost of production for every disc they make and sell. So for a game like Halo or Halo 2 where MILLIONS of copies were sold, the cost to actually make the game was more than covered. And true, while MS and Sony are makin' the same kind of profit margin off of the games themselves, they're a little more greedy than Nintendo it seems. Based off of how much their previous systems were sold for and what they were worth, it would suggest that they overpriced their goods, or at least just tried to make a profit off of the consoles too. This isn't a part of the price argument, just sayin' is all....
Yeah. I can't believe those buisinesses would try to profit from the video games they're selling us.

Why would those console manufacturers would try to make money from those games? It's disgusting.

They should just give the games away. I shouldn't have to pay for them.

Claym4n

Smash Cadet
I've really lost interest in the other two consoles after reading about the new controller, can't wait! I wish Nintendo would put the GBA SP D-Pad on more of their products though, the one on the remote looks pretty impractical.

Vir_Iratus said:
Based off of how much their previous systems were sold for and what they were worth, it would suggest that they overpriced their goods, or at least just tried to make a profit off of the consoles too..
The PS2 and XBox were underpriced pretty severely at launch, Sony and Microsoft were losing money on every console sale.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Mediocre said:
Yeah. I can't believe those buisinesses would try to profit from the video games they're selling us.

Why would those console manufacturers would try to make money from those games? It's disgusting.

They should just give the games away. I shouldn't have to pay for them.
-.-*

[sarcasm]Gee... you're SUCH a genius...[/sarcasm]

You could at least give the benefit of the doubt, but w/e... smart alecks just HAVE to open their mouth...

Claym4n said:
The PS2 and XBox were underpriced pretty severely at launch, Sony and Microsoft were losing money on every console sale.
300$ is UNDERpriced? I find that VERY hard to believe. Even for the at launch price, thats a bit extreme.

As far as the D-pad goes for the Revolution controller, they may have been going for an old school feel. I haven't looked at any of the old controllers recently though, so I can't really compare them. I think the controller looks fine as it is though. I'm more interested in the shell idea for games like SSBR and the next Mario game. I mean, if some games don't require the shell, then you'll have to pull your controller out of the shell every time you want to switch games. Eventually the contacts could become weak or loose, meaning it might rattle around in there, or not work properly. Its also an extremely sensitive piece of equipment moreso than previous controllers with its gyroscope. I don't know about the rest of you, but I've thrown my fair share of controllers into the ground in frustration or seen them thrown down by my bros. (happens a lot, since they get really mad when I beat them at SSBM, which is always...) I just hope Nintendo builds these things to REALLY last.

Top Bottom