• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Tempest is a perfect example of a new user bashing a new user. Not only that, but calling Begolfer stupid and not using proper grammar himself. Hooray.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Triggers isn't what I was talking about. I honestly really dislike analog sticks for precise things like racing. Almost all racing games these days are extremely sensetive, and I don't think analog sticks are intuitive enough for controls that require such precision. I wasn't even speaking of the mock-up steering wheel attachment either. It doesn't matter if you tilted the controller or moved it left and right - it may not be like driving a car, obviously, but the control over motions such as though is alot greater than on an analog stick. Not that sticks don't have their place - I just don't think it's in racing games.

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
I doubt I will get hdtv within the next ten years. If I need really good resolution for some weird reason I'll use a computer monitor.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
ChRed2AKrisp said:
you do't drive a car by tilting a stick.
beckhamisaqueer said:
Yeah, I mean who doesn't drive to work with a thumbstick, and A/B buttons.
Wow, is there an echo in here?

JMY, I don't know what you're talking about, I love the analogue stick for racing games, and personally, I think using the pointer for steering (if that's what you're talking about) on the rev controller would be way too sensitive. But I guess it's all just a matter of personal taste.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
If I made a racing game, the pointer would be used more like a jet's joystick. Yeah, it sounds weird, but stay with me. You hold it vertical. Tilt forward to accelerate, pull back to decelerate. Left and right turn, and you've still got your buttons and D-pad for things like sliding, powerups, etc.

If not, it would make a great jet-sim game. :p

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think that if there is a big problem with the Revolution controller, it will be Nintendo's asking: "is there another way to do this?" as opposed to, "is there a better way to do this?" My example here is the aforementioned racing genre. I think that using the tilt functions of the new controller might be unique and cool for a time, but ultimately I see nothing wrong with racers today (though the genre is getting a bit too familiar), and that the new controller would only offer something different and not necesarily any sort of improvement over the tried-and-true formula that has worked for over 20 years.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, Giygas, you have a point; however, nobody else is doing anything else different, let alone better, so at least Nintendo is changing the pace a little. And honestly, I think the Revolution will be better for many genres. Not all, of course, but it's pretty difficult to cater a non-conventional controller to all genres (just as it would be impossible to cater conventional controllers for the creative games you know Nintendo will make that use the sensor).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I think the Gyroscopes would be an improvement. The Sticks are annoying when you want to turn left juuust a little, no, too far, bit to the right, too far.....

Plus, who can honestly never say they have tilted their controller/leaned into a turn on a racing game?

Royal Flush

BRoomer
BRoomer
In the cards Ten, Jack, Queen, King, and Ace suite
Shy Guy said:
http://www.revo-europe.com/news.php?nid=8367

Nintendo Revolution is confirmed to be launched in the latter half of 2006, making it the last next-gen console to be released for the third time.
I don`t think anyone is sure on the release date I`ve seen sites that have said everything from March 2006-Spring 2007 for the Rev. Release date!

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Are you honestly saying that Nintendo of Japan is somehow more reliable than Nintendo of America, even though they're the same company?

To the last two posters, this is NINTENDO OF AMERICA. This is Nintendo talking. Begolfer, it doesn't matter what unfounded rumors you heard, Nintendo is saying latter half of 2006.

Please, don't believe ANY news you see about the Revolution unless it comes directly from Nintendo (of which Nintendo of America is a branch of).

Mediocre

Ziz
BRoomer
McFox said:
Are you honestly saying that Nintendo of Japan is somehow more reliable than Nintendo of America, even though they're the same company?
McFox, I have vauge memories of reading about NoA reps saying various things only to find out later that NoJ had said that those statements were incorrect.

However, I think that an official release from NoA, like this is, would be accurate.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Well, honestly, that is a huge mistake on their part.

GCN was released a few days after the XBox and was smashed in sales. What's gonna happen a few MONTHS after the PS3 and 360? The only way I can see this as a positive is if their intent is to not have their released overshadowed by the 360/PS3 but honestly, at least a 4 month jump start for the PS3 and nearly a year jump start for the 360 may be insurmountable.

Let's watch what happens.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
There's really no evidence that BECAUSE the Gamecube launched later, that it did worse in sales. Maybe if it had launched before XBox, the same thing would have happened.

And actually, the situation you describe worked pretty well for Sony. The PS2 came out more than a year after the Dreamcast and...well... I think we all know how that one turned out. :p

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Not confirmed of course, but it IS coming sometime. And that SHOULD be a great game.

The problem with the last two Starfox games, I think anyway, is that they weren't actually developed by Nintendo.

Starfox Adventures - Rareware
Starfox Assault - Namco

Please Nintendo, take back the reigns and use your Revolutionary controller to do the Starfox series justice!

Kirby King

Master Lameoid
Premium
BRoomer
NOA issued a press release about the Smash Bros. GameCube bundle that said Wario was in SSBM.

Yeah, they're not great at fact checking. I wouldn't expect them to screw up the launch date of their next console, but... you never know.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I remember when NOA released information on the Wind Waker just a month before it came out in the U.S, they may as well have never played the game before.

NOA and NOJ may be parts of the same company but they have alot of communicaton issues that may end up harming them.

BETA

Smash Ace
Release date wise, November 06. It's not announced, but I'm calling it. DS came in November, Gamecube came in November, and didn't the N64 come out in November? Also, Zelda was supposed to come out in November. November is the perfect time to let it settle in just before the holidays.

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
BETA said:
Release date wise, November 06. It's not announced, but I'm calling it. DS came in November, Gamecube came in November, and didn't the N64 come out in November? Also, Zelda was supposed to come out in November. November is the perfect time to let it settle in just before the holidays.
If I'm not mistaken, it was November 23rd when TLOZ: OOT and TLOZ: MM came out. Both on or around that same date, just a couple years apart. The Wind Waker was supposed to come out then too, but got bumped to a later May release date. I think Nintendo prefers to release things on or around that date. They have probably done market studies showing that it has X number of advantages over all the other times of the year or something. Sounds likely that the Revolution could be released then, but they might also have other dates during the year that they like to release things. Who knows...

I remember when OOT came out though... beat the game in less than a month with no players guide, and accidentally beat the water temple with an extra key... whoops...

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
I thought it was November 18th... at least for OoT, anyway. Nintendo has had its little tradition of releasing some of its bestselling games/hardware on 11/18 going back about (if not more than) a decade. I was pretty sure OoT was the '98 release for that.

Edit: Just checked, GFAQs lists OoT as coming out on 11/24/98 as published by NOA. Oddly enough, it also lists it as released on 10/31/98 in the US published by just Nintendo...

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Omnigamer said:
I thought it was November 18th... at least for OoT, anyway. Nintendo has had its little tradition of releasing some of its bestselling games/hardware on 11/18 going back about (if not more than) a decade. I was pretty sure OoT was the '98 release for that.

Edit: Just checked, GFAQs lists OoT as coming out on 11/24/98 as published by NOA. Oddly enough, it also lists it as released on 10/31/98 in the US published by just Nintendo...
Thats weird, since I coulda SWORN I've seen the game boxes sold with a label saying "Game of the Year award: 1997" It probably is the 18th of November, but in my area the game was delayed a bit for BOTH OOT and MM. So it did release to me more on the 23rd or so rather than the 18th. I even preordered both of them, and the stupid stores still released them late. Knowing my luck, my area will continue to get them about a week later than the rest of the world, leaving me as the eternally screwed wannabe hardcore gamer... ugh... Not that I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I can't say "yeah well, I owned it the first day possible!" Not that its something I'd be proud of, but I guess I wouldn't be technically hardcore to some...

OOT probably was a 1998 release day, and for some reason my brain is probably switching the 8 with a 7... regardless, I'm still gonna check it on my collectors edition of Zelda on GC just to see the official release date.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Lol. Europe and Australia get everything like a YEAR later than South Carolina gets it. You're pretty lucky by SWF standards. :p

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
McFox said:
Lol. Europe and Australia get everything like a YEAR later than South Carolina gets it. You're pretty lucky by SWF standards. :p
-.- Granted... but South Carolina is still one of the most backwater gaming areas of all time. The majority of "tournaments" held by stores include, lets see, Madden football, Madden football, and oh yeah, Madden football.

Sports games are some of the most ironic and useless games ever. Don't get me wrong, I like some in particular, but they're the totally non-realistic ones where you can beat the crap out of your opponent. NFL Blitz anyone?

Tempest 01

Smash Journeyman
Vir_Iratus said:
Sports games are some of the most ironic and useless games ever. Don't get me wrong, I like some in particular, but they're the totally non-realistic ones where you can beat the crap out of your opponent. NFL Blitz anyone?
I only like Mario Tennis games and Strikers looks pretty cool too.

The reason I play V. Games is to put myself in an unrealistic enviroment and have fun. If one wants to play the REALISTIC sports games, go out and play the sport. If you like those games though so be it. This is why i like FE games and Zelda games and AC.

I gots two questions: Since "Link" is always nameable in (I think) every Zelda game, how did he get the name Link?

Cashed, do you hate me? you bash me at every possible time...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
What if it's a rainy day and you can't go out and play the sport? What if you're handicapped and can't play the sport? Telling someone to go out and play the sport instead of playing a game based on it is pretty ridiculous. Go play with real cards, don't play solitare on your computer. Go race real people on the freeway, don't play Need for Speed. Etc.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
McFox said:
Not confirmed of course, but it IS coming sometime. And that SHOULD be a great game.

The problem with the last two Starfox games, I think anyway, is that they weren't actually developed by Nintendo.

Starfox Adventures - Rareware
Starfox Assault - Namco

Please Nintendo, take back the reigns and use your Revolutionary controller to do the Starfox series justice!
Why does fox need a game of his own, when he owns on SSB all the time?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Because SSB isn't a Starfox game.

I don't know about you, but if there could ever be another game that captures brilliance quite like Starfox 64, I'd like to play it, and not SSB. And the new controller is just the way to do it.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
SF:As was horrible. SF64=sweet.

I heard a VERY LONG time ago that Falco would have his "own' game like fox did(SF:Ad)..........has there been anything said about that? if so...could it be for the revo?

Vir_Iratus

Smash Ace
Cashed said:
What if it's a rainy day and you can't go out and play the sport? What if you're handicapped and can't play the sport? Telling someone to go out and play the sport instead of playing a game based on it is pretty ridiculous. Go play with real cards, don't play solitare on your computer. Go race real people on the freeway, don't play Need for Speed. Etc.
Wow... you do seem to try and cut Tempest off at every turn... All he wanted was your LOVE!!! And you give him a bag of flaming crap and tell him to put it out with his face. Ok, sorry for the exageration, I couldn't resist.

A game centered around Falco would be pretty cool, but it would most likely be very similar to another SF game. It could, however, give more depth to his past maybe. It could let you find out where he came from and how he came to be on the SF team.

I really like the idea of revolutionizing the next StarFox game and making it tilt controllable. You really wouldn't need very many buttons for that. It could be easily accomplished using the "Nunchaku" design for a controller. A barrel roll would be done with the joystick. One Z button would be boost, the other would be brake. A would be laser, and B would be bomb. So simple, but I can see it being EXTREMLY fun. I'd love to play something as brilliant as SF64 with the graphics and innovation of the Revolution against some friends. They're probably already working on a project like that though. Sweeeeet...

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
and thats fine. i heard it a while back. it think it was when star fox adventures came out. some people were saying that since falco didnt really have a role in the game, he was on another mission and a game would be based of that mission he was on.

but yea it just a rumor i guess.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Vir_Iratus said:
Wow... you do seem to try and cut Tempest off at every turn... All he wanted was your LOVE!!! And you give him a bag of flaming crap and tell him to put it out with his face. Ok, sorry for the exageration, I couldn't resist.

A game centered around Falco would be pretty cool, but it would most likely be very similar to another SF game. It could, however, give more depth to his past maybe. It could let you find out where he came from and how he came to be on the SF team.

I really like the idea of revolutionizing the next StarFox game and making it tilt controllable. You really wouldn't need very many buttons for that. It could be easily accomplished using the "Nunchaku" design for a controller. A barrel roll would be done with the joystick. One Z button would be boost, the other would be brake. A would be laser, and B would be bomb. So simple, but I can see it being EXTREMLY fun. I'd love to play something as brilliant as SF64 with the graphics and innovation of the Revolution against some friends. They're probably already working on a project like that though. Sweeeeet...
Actually, it'd be pretty simple to do it without the nunchaku add-on. A would be bomb, B fire, left/right on the d-pad to tilt and/or do a barrelroll, down on the d-pad to brake, and up to boost. It may not sound comfy, but I have a feeling it'd be fine. IGN's hands-on with the controller made it sound like the space between the A button and the d-pad was easily manuvered.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
How about actually spinning the controller (in a barrelroll style) instead of hitting right or left on the d-pad. Oh man. The possibilities.

yes giygas sarcasm.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
yeah. you wouldneed the dpad. move the controller as a pointer to move the ship, spin it for barrel rolls, tilt it up or down to brake/ boost. then a for shoot and b for bomb.

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cashed said:
How about actually spinning the controller (in a barrelroll style) instead of hitting right or left on the d-pad. Oh man. The possibilities.
I assume you're being sarcastic...? Trying to spin the controller might be pretty awkward, unless it's just a small rotation. Actually spinning it around over and over would be tough (yes, I tried it on a remote), though the Rev controller might be small enough to make something like this easy.

Top Bottom