• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Yeah it sure has it's perks doesnt it?

Let us stroll back on topic shall we? SuperBowser's info sopposedly posted my Matt C. from IGN looks tempting, but It should definately be taken with a grain of salt. "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see."
well I no longer believe it though the rumour seems like a bunch of well educated guesses :p The only place I could find ''confirming'' this info is www.revo-europe.com and that site is a bit...crap. So, yeah, I don't think there are any sources.

:(

Skywalker

Space Jump
We'll have to trudge through 3 boring days in order to find out.

(I'll give rep to the person who first posts the official info.)

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I think the hype about bundles is overrated. You're going to buy the games and controllers you want anyway.
I don't quite agree... The GC only came with one controller, if it had come with two, that's about $25 (US) you're saving right off the bat, so if they're including two Wiimotes and Nunchakus, and possibly a SD card, I'm happy about that, especially since I have two siblings, and it appears that if I want to get this thing at launch, I'll need to pay for it all myself; not to mention having at least one multiplayer game right out of the box. I remember a post from Giygas in this thread or Console Debates or somewhere, in which she posted a picture of everything you got when you bought a NES, which by today's standards was a lot. It was because at that point in time, at least for the Japanese foreign market, video games were somewhat of an unknown quality and quantity, so for people to take the risk of buying it, they included everything you'd need to use it right out of the box. That's why you see less and less of that today, because relative to back then, people know exactly what they're buying, and what else they'll need. It's the same situation this time around, twenty-some-odd years later, as that post from Matt (whoever that is) stated, where Nin is trying to encourage people to take that same risk, of buying an unknown quantity. If everything he said is true, that is.

Except for the part about packing away the Cube, I'm pawning that thing, who needs it when the Wii is backwards compatible. I'd have already pawned it, but my siblings don't want to yet, for some reason.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
At the GameCube's launch I was pretty disappointed there were no bundles. I ended up buying Luigi's Mansion and Star Wars Rogue Squadron 2, a memory card and two extra controllers. If it comes with two Wiimotes and attachments, that'll be great, then I'll only have to actually buy 2 more Wiimotes. If it comes with Wii Sports that's even better, as that's the only game I know I want for sure at launch. I just hope that the Wiimote isn't as much as the 360's wireless controllers, $50. I thought $35 for a GameCube controller when it first launched was a lot... but $50, yeah, that's a lot for a controller.

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
This has been leaked from GameSpot by accident on their website
they have removed the prices within 20 minutes, but some ppl got an hold of it:

* Wii Controller Glove - $9.99
* Wii G-Pak Travel Case - $29.99
* Wii Game Wallet - $9.99
* Wii HD Premium Component Cable - $59.99
* Wii Memory SD 1.0GB - $59.99
* Wii Memory SD 512MB - $39.99
* Wii S-Video Premium AV Cable - $39.99
* Wii Sling Bag - $29.99
* Wii Storage & Protection 1.0GB Kit - $69.99

rather expensive if u ask me...

prices in euros:

* Wii Controller Glove - e7.99
* Wii G-Pak Travel Case - e24.99
* Wii Game Wallet - e7.99
* Wii HD Premium Component Cable - e46.99
* Wii Memory SD 1.0GB - e46.99
* Wii Memory SD 512MB - e29.99
* Wii S-Video Premium AV Cable - e29.99
* Wii Sling Bag - e24.99
* Wii Storage & Protection 1.0GB Kit - e54.99

too bad there are no controller prices.... or the official wii price yet... but i think they already descided @ nintendo and that we will just have to wait 3 days to find out... I don't quite believe this "Matt" guy, but if this is true I'd have a reason to buy the Wii emmidiatly instead of waiting for the price to drop and budles to create after christmas (or next year).

Zink

Smash Champion
blaksheap, I hadn't taken savings into account. I was referring to the fact that there isn't likely to be a huge difference between, say, a MP3 bundle and buying a Wii, controllers, and MP3 separately. With a console as cheap as the Wii, I wonder how much you can save on bundles. Say, the console, 2 controllers, and Wii Sports for $300. Price the console at about $200, controllers at $25-$30 each, and Wii Sports at $50. You only save around ten bucks for a relatively large bundle.
As for SD cards, I'm wondering about the prices Jossy gave us- they seem way high for such a standard product.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
As for SD cards, I'm wondering about the prices Jossy gave us- they seem way high for such a standard product.
That's how expensive SD cards are. A 1GB card on bestbuy.com is $53.99... and really, you're getting a good deal. 360 memory cards are currently 64MB and cost $40. There's a 256MB one coming out that'll cost $60. So yeah, $53.99 or whatever for 1GB is great.

What strikes me as expensive is the HD Component cables. $60, man. And even S-Video... $40.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
umm what? that's a horrible deal for SD cards.... there's no need for nintendo to force you to buy their ''special'' brand of SD card instead of letting existing ones work on the wii >.>

I bought a 1gb SD card a couple of weeks ago for 17 pounds and it works fine.

Also, I think that price list is fake. I'm pretty sure it was floating around the internet a week ago. It came with a pretty picture of the controller glove.

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
i thought the prices were high too....
well e-bay shopping isnt that bad =D
+ prices will probably drop after a while (after christmas? or when the wii is integrated and needed in every household lol)

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
You can get a 2GB SD card on newegg for $30, which I keep meaning to get around to ordering. I don't see the point in buying Nin's at twice the cost for half the storage. That really sounds fishy to me, I don't know if I believe that price list. I'm not even sure of what half that stuff is.

Zink, if you put a game like MP3 into a bundle (which I don't see happening without some really special offer), you're right about the price. But $10 is $10, no matter how much you're spending. With or without the game, I still think that it would be a good deal.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
The Wii and two controllers with nunchaku peripherals is a good deal for $250.00. Throwing in Wii Sports is very wise, since I can't see myself actually buying Wii Sports by itself, and because it will not only create that feeling of "I got a game for free, woohoo!", but also because it demonstrates the Wii's functionality very well.

Zink

Smash Champion
Zink, if you put a game like MP3 into a bundle (which I don't see happening without some really special offer), you're right about the price. But $10 is $10, no matter how much you're spending. With or without the game, I still think that it would be a good deal.
All right. I'll concede on this one. Maybe they'll have some kind of incentive to buy a bundle, like selling the VC controller for $10.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Cashed--the component cables may *look* expensive, but that's about the same price as the component cables for the GC. If I recall, the GC component cables run at about $65-$85 on ebay and import websites like Lik-sang. But then again, the prices might be inflated because component cables aren't sold in the states anymore, and are therefore a rare commodity.

On that note, does anyone know if the Digital Out port of the Wii is identical to the GC? It'd be nice if they used the same ports, so I could recycle my component cable and save $65. :ohwell:

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
See, I'm not comparing it to other consoles. My 360 came with component and composite cables... I don't see why it'd be so difficult for Nintendo to do the same. Then again, it's one more accessory they can overcharge for...

Skywalker

Space Jump
After the amount of capacity in the XBOX 360 hard drive, 518 MB seems a bit disappointing, unless of course, Nintendo releases a separate hard drive.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
See, I'm not comparing it to other consoles. My 360 came with component and composite cables... I don't see why it'd be so difficult for Nintendo to do the same. Then again, it's one more accessory they can overcharge for...
please don't preach about how generous microsoft is.

Try $60 controllers, or even an Xbox360 rubber bracelet for $5. There's also that bit about Xbox360's major advantage over the Wii being HD, so I'd expectthem to at least come with component cables. There's also the matter of the core system being at least $150 more expensive, probably $200 more. Did you ever think that maybe component cables are included in that cost?

Skywalker

Space Jump

Try $60 controllers, or even an Xbox360 rubber bracelet for $5. There's also that bit about Xbox360's major advantage over the Wii being HD, so I'd expectthem to at least come with component cables. There's also the matter of the core system being at least $150 more expensive, probably $200 more. Did you ever think that maybe component cables are included in that cost?
Stating facts is not by any means preaching. The controllers are $39.99~$49.99, depending on whether or not you prefer wireless. Also, I highly doubt the premium (core is cheaper) system will be more than $99.99 extra; even that amount is somewhat high.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace

lol

Donut, Cashed wasn't preaching, you're right, but he wasn't just stating facts, either, anyone who's had to write a comparison paper can hear the tone there. The PS3, on the other hand, doesn't even have those cables for the price Sony's asking.

Zink, you made a good point, it's just what I said about saving any amount of money. Its' actually good to see someone who actually wants to discuss consistently instead of just argue.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I honestly didn't mean it literally. [smart-***]There's just a difference between speaking religiously and informing others of what happened with their system. A big difference.[/smart-***]

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer

Oh, did I hit a sensitive spot and inflict MASSIVE DAMAGE? If you look back a few posts you could see I complained about $50 wireless controllers (Which isn't $60, by the way) and how overpriced the memory cards are for the 360. AWESOME overreaction, though.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
I have a strong inclination that the Wii controllers will be about the same price as the 360. I was disgusted to see a used contoller in EB with a $35 price tag on it. It looked like it was chewed on.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
I just hope that the component cable will be backwards compatible with the Gamecube...do any of you know how much the Gamecube component cables run for? It's insane: $70+

Hopefully the official component cables will be around the same price as they originally were from Nintendo: $35-$40

DarkLink567

Smash Journeyman
Yes they can, but even SD TVs have component in. It's just a better alternative to regular composite cables. It's usually recommended you get a digital cable, like DVI/RGB/HDMI for a HDTV though.

EDIT: RGB doesn't transmit a digital signal.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I lack an HDTV, so I wouldn't know. Then again, there have been rumors that in several years, many more programs will be in HD.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
That's already the case. Most of the basic stations already provide the majority of their programming in HD (DTV). FOX, NBC, ABC, and CBS all provide widescreen, HD viewing for their more important shows (like Fox's Prison Break, NBC's Late Night with Conan O'Brian). In fact, isn't there some kind of law passed by the FCC stating that all stations have to adopt digital signal programming by 2008? I think I might have read this somewhere. . .

Anyways, it's only a matter of time before HD becomes the new standard. CRTVs are being phased out, and widescreen LCD/Plasma/DLPs with built-in HD tuners are on the way in. Prices for the new TVs are dropping pretty rapidly, too. You can definitely get a decent-sized (less than 30") flat-screen TV for anywhere around $800-$1000.

Zink

Smash Champion
I think HD is not going to be a major force for another five years or so, anyway- by then I expect 60%-70% of the market for TV and accompanying accessories to be HD oriented.
Alos, 2 days to go.

Top Bottom