• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Excellent. This seems to be the first trustworthy source. Great find.

The only other thing I could ask for would be to have the system come with another remote but this is just fine. Now the only question to be answered is when/if preorders will be taken.

BTW-News channel? Weather channel? Were these known prior to this article?

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
About what I expected, if that is correct. It's a shame it really is being released so late (two days after PS3? come on...), but the addition of free Wii Sports (along with bowling! nice...) is welcome.

*EDIT* No Vulpine, those things weren't known.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Oh shiznet!

So basically a core system is $200, but you have to buy Wii sports with it.

I don't care, I'd proably be buying it anyway.

Nintendo pulled through with a $200 price tag like most of us assumed, and I'm happy.

However, I don't think this will be the only thing new we learn. The head of the NoE press conference said they would have the biggest Wii news of the Year. It's can't be just the price and stuff, cuz its a day later than the rest of the conferences. Even though they will have their own price and date, I'm hoping for something else as well.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
About what I expected, if that is correct. It's a shame it really is being released so late (two days after PS3? come on...), but the addition of free Wii Sports (along with bowling! nice...) is welcome.

The date doesnt bother me too much. I have a strong feeling that the Wii will do fine regardless of it's launch. Besides the 19th is just three days after my B-day. I know what im getting...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Why couldn't they release it on the same day as the PS3? Yeah, stores would be packed, but hey.....

Wii sports being bundled is a great idea. Those channel things sound interesting, wonder if they're going to be suported outside Japan?

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Release it a few days after...
Because within those 3 days, every PS3 will go BYE BYE.

And everyone else will be left in the dust--poof, a new, cheap system comes out right afterward, and you know some people will choose to buy it with the PS3 production situation looking as it is...

But in the end, I think it's gonna sell, regardless.
We shall see.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
So they launch the GameCube 3 days after the Xbox launched, and now they're launching the Wii 2 days after the PS3. I'm going to be the first to say the successor to the Wii launches 1 day after the PS4 or Xbox Next.

At $250, I'll be waiting till some more games come out that I want. I do really want Wii Sports, but I can wait. With the date being so late, I'll already have used any money I have on Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Fuzion Frenzy 2, DOA Xtreme 2 and Too Human.

Hope to see some good games announced at this conference, though.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I'm glad the release date has finally been announced...and they stayed with a Sunday release date. To be honest, I'm not sure how many of the launch games I'll be getting besides Zelda, and while free Wii Sports is a plus, I don't think I'll be playing it much. It's going to be very busy time for lots of electronics stores...and eBay

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
None of those details are certain. They have not even been announced in Japan by Nintendo yet. Wait a couple more hours before you get all exited.

EDIT: The article has been pulled. So chances are it was speculation.

Ferro De Lupe

Smash Lord
So, a good $350 should be enough for me to get the console, Twilight Princess, a second controller, and download a couple games... Sweet action!

MeleeMan

Smash Ace
NNID
WilderFTW
3DS FC
2105-9709-5961
Official release date in Japan is December 2nd for a Price of US $212. (25000 Yen)

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
Well, lets see who flies off with this... (I'll keep editing this until my sources stop or I pass out)

According to Gameword Network (link 1) [...]
the Wii will be releaced in Japan on December 2nd... for a converted approx of $212 US (right around guestimates).
The Virtual Console downloads are going for: NES 500 yen (~$4 US), SNES 800 (~$6 US), and N64 (~$8 US). The Virtual Console will start with 30 Nintendo games, and 30 random other old system companies' games, with 10 new downloadable games each month added.

Some cut and paste from 1st link: "Cost of the accessories is as follows if purchased seperately. Wii remote: 3,800 Yen (US$32), Classic controller: 1,800 Yen (US$15), Nunchuck attachment: 1,800 Yen (US$15)."

Do note, of course, that the Press Confrence for us may contain different information, like more accurate prices. Other than that, this should give us a good sign of Dec 2nd for the releace of the Wii.

What we're getting for that $212 is in the second link.

And holy bajesus batman, "Pokemon: Battle Revolution" is confermed for launch title, along with Twilight Princess. Unconfermed is "WiiSports" and (taken cut and paste) "Odoru! Made in Wario." (sources is link 3; last or so update on the blog)

Link 4 is preview video for the Wii's (possible) launch titles! Watch it, I demand you!

Link 5 has a robust list of Wii titles with release dates (again, translated link, so go through third link), and Link 6 is Wii.com JP, which has videos. Many videos. Lets eat their bandwidth.

http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/10307/
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools
http://gonintendojustincase.blogspot.com/
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/movie/lineup.html
http://translate.google.com/transla...&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&prev=/language_tools
http://wii.com/jp/movies/forecastchannel/

EDIT1: MeleeMan beat me to the price. I'll [ spoiler ] it out then.
EDIT2: Added 2nd link and so forth.
EDIT3: Added accessories bit.
EDIT4: Apparently, the translated google link doesn't work well. Navigate from the first link if this is the same with you.
EDIT5: Third link and related release titles info.
EDIT6: Preview vid, link 4.
EDIT7: Isn't this scary. Link 5/6 added with related bit of text.

MeleeMan

Smash Ace
NNID
WilderFTW
3DS FC
2105-9709-5961
Yeah, well IGN still says that it will hit in America first, on the 19th. Who knows if they're right or not though...

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Lol, no need to cover the price. I'm going to update the first post anyways. Censor a character list for Brawl, not the release date and price :p

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
A Mod from earlier was warning bannings if things were repeated, and I no like bannings. o.o

Feel free to chop out any facts from my post or from my sources for the first post then, Kokichi. It's currently a horribly outdated thing, but if we can just throw all the facts there, it might be less of a jumble.

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
US Wii Price, Launch Date Revealed
The news we've all been waiting for.
by Kathleen Sanders and Matt Casamassina
September 13, 2006 - Nintendo fans finally have a price and release date for the company's new generation console, Wii. The Big N is set to officially announce that the system will hit retail in North and South America for $250 on November 19. The New York Times published with the story and seems, in fact, to have beaten Nintendo Co. Ltd with the news.

Nintendo's Wii console will come packaged with one Wii remote, one nunchuck attachment, an AC adapter, an audio/video cable, a sensor bar, sensor bard stand, a Wii console stand and two batteries. The package will also come bundled with a copy of Wii Sports, a compilation sports game that best shows off the mechanics of the system's unique controller. Wii Sports features tennis, baseball, golf and previously unannounced bowling and boxing games.
Nintendo said it would provide Wii owners with more than 25 unique games this year.

Wii's much talked-about Virtual Console download service, which enables gamers to purchase classic games, will offer a library of some 30 titles when the system launches. Titles will include entries from the Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong franchises, Nintendo said. Virtual Console games will cost between $5 and $10 each. Specifically, Nintendo Co. Ltd. announced that Virtual Console games would cost 500 yen ($5), 800 yen ($8) or 1,000 yen ($10); we're presuming these prices are for NES, SNES and N64 games respectively.

The Big N confirmed that it would charge $50 for its new Wii games, which is $10 cheaper than the cost of typical Xbox 360 titles. (Please note that this is First-Party games, prices have not been announced for Third-Part Wii games -- publishers are free to set their own prices on Wii titles.)

Nintendo Co. Ltd. revealed that Wii's various controllers would be available to buy separately at launch. The Wii remote will cost 3800 yen or about $40; the nunchuck 1800 yen or about $20 and the classic controller 1800 yen or about $20.

In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a living room centerpiece by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wil will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updated news and weather channels. In addition, the system will ship with the Opera Web browser, enabling users to connect online.

Sony recently announced that it would ready 400,000 PS3s in North America and another 100,000 in Japan for the system's launch. Nintendo said it plans to ship 4 million Wii units worldwide by the end of the year.

Nintendo will launch Wii in Japan on December 2 of this year for 25,000 yen, it revealed. North America will get the system first.
i think we just have to wait until NINTENDO officially says so later this day.... This is based on a New York Times article...

This is what Nintendo of Europe says (on their official website):

On Friday, September 15, Nintendo will host a huge invite-only event in London. The subject: Wii.

Hundreds of invitations have been sent out to European press, to join us on this momentous occasion. While that unfortunately means the general public isn't able to attend, it doesn't mean you have to miss out on the biggest Nintendo news of the year.

On Friday we'll have full coverage of the Wii event right here, so you can find out the official word straight from the source as soon as it's made public.

What's it all about? Well, you'll just have to wait and see. But as the text on the invitation card teasingly states:

All of you will be excited, intrigued and interested in what we have to show you.

This is an event you must not miss. Wii promise.
So... since i'm a Nintendo VIP 24:7 , I will post the info as soon as it's available tomorrow. Today, a same event (in Japan) is scheduled, however... it has not happend yet around this time, will be later today (I will post it when I'm back from university). Any information you find on websites are just "likely rumors".

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
Uhh, wtf? That article was taken down about an hour ago because it was false.

And kudos to Kokichi for the updates on front page. Keep checking that place out for the most confermed facts we got!

'Cept you need that preview video! Fourth link in my post up there. I assure you, it's gold.

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
u havent read the whole post....
+ its not taken down... i just copy / pasted it from the website a minute ago.
Also,
check the 2nd quote. That one is of much more importance.

Khorsan

Smash Apprentice
Huh. Sorry about sounding like ******* then, but I tried the NY site earlier when some sources said it was down, and it was. Plus, your original post didn't include that second bit.

So Europe's tomorrow? Apparently, US' is tomorrow too. I seem to be coming up blank for a time though, so if anyone finds something, I'll get some shuteye, 'cause it's friggin' midnight where I'm at.

EDIT: I'm through with updating my upper post, 'cause anything useful seems to now be on the first post of the thread now.

EDITEDIT: GamesAreFun (the source for most of the stuff in the first post) has an updated list of what the games are in that vid, which has exploded into 43, and about 20 or so of them are what seems to be actual game titles (as opposed to guesses). Even though the list is likely to get corrected, there's a lot of concrete titles to add to the first post's list.

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
FYI, the NY Times article was marked as inaccurate, so don't pay any attention to it. Just wait for the New York announcement tomorrow.

Also, edits to the first post, including a link that shows off it's Photoshop abilities and UI (I'm not kidding!).

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Thanks for updating the first post, Kokichi. I hate updating all my various gaming topics here, haha. Tomorrow, when everything is official, I'll edit it so it's all nice and pretty.

Flok

BRoomer
BRoomer
Let me just tell you all that I am mostly amazed at the mega list of Wii games which I saw on IGN just now...

I swear, everyday a new Wii game is revealed I tell you! And it's not even out yet.

I will wait with enthousiasm for tommorow.

Skywalker

Space Jump
So, Nintendo won't be releasing Corruption on launch? *Cries uncontrollably*

Less than 3 hours . . .

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732669p1.html

US Wii Price, Launch Date Revealed
The news we've all been waiting for.
by Kathleen Sanders and Matt Casamassina

September 13, 2006 - Nintendo fans finally have a price and release date for the company's new generation console, Wii. The Big N is set to officially announce that the system will hit retail in North and South America for $250 on November 19. The New York Times published with the story and seems, in fact, to have beaten Nintendo Co. Ltd with the news.

Nintendo's Wii console will come packaged with one Wii remote, one nunchuck attachment, an AC adapter, an audio/video cable, a sensor bar, sensor bard stand, a Wii console stand and two batteries. The US package will also come bundled with a copy of Wii Sports, a compilation sports game that best shows off the mechanics of the system's unique controller. Wii Sports features tennis, baseball, golf and previously unannounced bowling and boxing games.
Nintendo said it would provide Wii owners with more than 25 unique games this year.

Wii's much talked-about Virtual Console download service, which enables gamers to purchase classic games, will offer a library of some 30 titles when the system launches. Titles will include entries from the Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong franchises, Nintendo said. Virtual Console games will cost between $5 and $10 each. Specifically, Nintendo Co. Ltd. announced that Virtual Console games would cost 500 yen ($5), 800 yen ($8) or 1,000 yen ($10); we're presuming these prices are for NES, SNES and N64 games respectively.

The Big N confirmed that it would charge $50 for its new Wii games, which is $10 cheaper than the cost of typical Xbox 360 titles. (Please note that this is First-Party games, prices have not been announced for Third-Part Wii games -- publishers are free to set their own prices on Wii titles.)

Nintendo Co. Ltd. revealed that Wii's various controllers would be available to buy separately at launch. The Wii remote will cost 3800 yen or about $40; the nunchuck 1800 yen or about $20 and the classic controller 1800 yen or about $20.

In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a living room centerpiece by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wii will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updated news and weather channels. In addition, the system will ship with the Opera Web browser, enabling users to connect online.

One of the channels available on Wii is called the "Mii Channel." Here, players can customize avatars by selecting from a variety of face shapes, hair styles, color schemes, and so on. The hook is that these avatars can not only be stored on the console itself, they can also be transfered to the Wii remote itself -- presumably so players can easily access their personalized characters and take them with them when playing against friends.

Sony recently announced that it would ready 400,000 PS3s in North America and another 100,000 in Japan for the system's launch. Nintendo said it plans to ship 4 million Wii units worldwide by the end of the year.

Nintendo will launch Wii in Japan on December 2 of this year for 25,000 yen, it revealed. North America will get the system first.

Nintendo of Japan has added an amazing breakdown of the Wii's various interfaces to its overseas website. Everything is in Japanese, but the videos speak for themselves. Readers can click right here for a 14-page walkthrough of the system's ambitious features. Included in the list of options are demonstrations of the forecast, Mii, and photo channels. The forecast launches a virtual globe that can be spun in any direction. In the photo channel, users can load hundreds of their favorite photos and edit them in real-time. It's possible to message friends with Mii character profiles and to send pictures in messages. And the videos demonstrate surfing the Web with Wii's Opera browser. These are absolute must-see videos.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Had a feeling the New York article was accurate, seemed to be too much co-incidence that they'd write about stuff and release it before it was released in japan.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
At $250, I'll be waiting till some more games come out that I want. I do really want Wii Sports, but I can wait. With the date being so late, I'll already have used any money I have on Gears of War, Viva Pinata, Fuzion Frenzy 2, DOA Xtreme 2 and Too Human.

Hope to see some good games announced at this conference, though.
Same here, except I wanted to get Wii sports to see if I could get any 'non-gamers' to play it. I'm not really excited about any of the Wii games being released. I'm probably going to just buy one of the versions of Zelda and maybe some VC games.

I just noticed that batteries will come packaged in. Anyone hoping for a rechargeable controller will have to wait until a third party option comes up. The $60 it will cost for a complete controller is kind of dissapointing.

Donut, Why did you say MP3 won't be released a t launch? Was there a delay?

8-bit hacker

Smash Cadet
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/live-at-nintendos-nyc-wii-press-conference/

blarg.
People are complaining because:

1)It's launching "too late"
2)It's not cheap enough.
3)It only comes with one remote.

Let's address them, shall we?

1)Too late? For who? You think that a $600 monster of a machine that is going to be in RIDICULOUSLY short supply is going to get that much of a headstart on Wii? Please. PS3 is slated to have what...500,000 units in the US at launch or something? That's 500,000 for an entire country. They haven't even broken down (to my knowledge) what percentage of those units will be 20GBs and what will be 60GBs. Wii will be in much higher stock. A plus for Wii. By the time Wii comes out, you won't be ABLE to purchase a PS3, even if you could afford one.

2)Not cheap enough? Come on, this isn't new guys. Systems have been launching at over $200 for quite some time now. The PSX and Saturn were $500 when they launched. Hell, aside from the Gamecube and Dreamcast, few systems launch under the 250 mark. Not to mention, you are getting a game compilation with it, which is unheard of in the gaming industry these days. It would've been sweet if they went back to the days of old and had the Action Set, the Super Set, etc like they did with the NES.

3)Why is this a problem? Oh no, one controller. Again, not new. The time to ***** about this was when PS, Saturn, and N64 launched, not now. It's been 11 years since then, we should all be used to the one controller deal. "But they're promoting group play..." Okay, so did the N64, Gamecube, Dreamcast, XBox, and XBox360, and they came with a whopping ONE controller. It's cheaper than the competition, so I think we can dig a little deeper to pick up a controller and nunchuck. I do wish that the remote and nunchuck came bundled instead of needing to make a separate purchase, but that's alright.

I'll make sure I have one reserved. It should be great.

Being too late isn't even that big of a deal. Seeing that the weekend after is black friday.

UI videos:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/presentation/07.html
New preview video:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/movie/lineup.html

Now, did I just see link ride on a dragon and some sort of RE like substance?

US site has now gone live.
http://www.wii.com/en_US/

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
This is about what everyone expected, I think. Have we seen a list of launch titles yet?

The controller's pretty expensive if you want a nunchuck attachment, but I was reading the Games forum on SA and someone made this point: Most of the party games look like they'll only use the Wiimote, so even if you want four controllers, you probably only need two nunchucks. I don't know how accurate that is, but it seems like a pretty good plan.

I'd also like to mention that the Wii drops right at the beginning of my long Thanksgiving break. I get ten days with it before I have to start classes again.

Top Bottom