• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
I can't pass judgement until I see the back of the controller. If it's flat like an old SNES controller, then it's far from perfect: Recent generations of controllers are shaped the way they are for a reason: Comfort. Also, I don't like the left joystick being below the D-Pad - It looks as if it's tacked on there and isn't important (like on the PS2 controllers).

Skywalker

Space Jump
If you look closely, the L/R buttons are actually triggers; that sounds somewhat comfortable.

In a different point of view, one of the reasons that I like the controller is that I'm a bit of a SNES junkie.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
I personally think the gamecube controller is the best conventional controller ever made. It fits the hand like a glove, the emphasis on the A button helps simplify gameplay, and the sholder buttons are nice and springy. The only thing that erks me is the Z button. It just seems out of place.

The VC controller looks nice, but it seems a little too flat. It doesn't seem like it will fit comfortably in my hands like the GC controller. Then again, I havent felt it yet so time will tell if Im right.

The Wiimote is not a convetntional contoller by today's standards. So I cant really compare it with the others.

chalupa

Smash Cadet
NNID
TacoShell
3DS FC
3265-5071-3854
personaly i think the classic controller is perfect cause its like the snes controller ( best console ever!) and the playstation controller ( easy to use controler). add the 2 together and you get perfection.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
meh, I hate the PS2 controller. I find it really awkward to use the analogue sticks and it's a little too small for my hands. If the VC controller is even smaller I'll be sticking with my gamecube controllers >: ( (assuming they work for retro games).

There was a youtube video floating around where it looked laughably small. But that guy could have just had giant hands...

Does anyone think the separate days for the wii conferences could mean it's getting a staggerred release? Like japan gets it early october, america gets it a few weeks after and europe another few weeks.

10 days to go...

Skywalker

Space Jump
Does anyone think the separate days for the wii conferences could mean it's getting a staggerred release? Like japan gets it early october, america gets it a few weeks after and europe another few weeks.
Well, let's take a look at the Nintendo DS: It had a staggered release. It released in the US in early November; released in Japan in Winter; and released in Europe in Spring, if what I remember is right.

Dr.ROC

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I think I heard that there pushing for a thanksgiving realease in america, so fear not Europe, its sure to be out in a couple of weeks after that so it will deffinitely be out before christmas.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I personally think the gamecube controller is the best conventional controller ever made.
Seriously? I found the controller comfortable when I first got it, but after I got my Xbox I was amazed how good the Type S controller felt. I realized how small the GameCube controller felt. And now with my 360, I'm just spoiled. They took the Type S and tweaked it just a little bit, making it by far the most comfortable controller I've ever used. When I pick it up I don't have to find a comfortable spot or anything like I do with the PS2 controller, GameCube controller or Type S (it was nice, but there was that sweet spot because of the black and white buttons) Xbox controller, I can just pick it up and instantly be ready and comfortable.

The Wiimote looks like it should feel like any TV remote, but perhaps thicker. I don't remember hearing about any comfort complaints from E3.

greenblob

Smash Lord
Well, the GC and XBox controllers have the same (and best IMO) type of layout. The PS controllers (and imitation versions) are HORRIBLE.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
The GCN controller would be perfect except for a couple things:
1: It's too small for big-handed people.
2: The differently sized buttons (A, X, Y, B) make certain fighting games awkward unless you take the two-fingered approach, and don't contribute much to anything - Of course, it's perfect for Smash, but that's not the point. It should be like the SNES button layout.
3: The Z button's placement sucks.
4: The absense of a fourth shoulder button.

Ideally, you'd have a slightly enlarged GCN controller with an SNES layout, 4 shoulder buttons - the back two of which being triggers, and the same, optimal, joystick layout.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Hmm . . .

Each controller had advantages and disadvantages.

The GCN controller had a controlled analog stick, as the sides around it were octagonal. Therefore, it would be easier to steer in racing games and jump in SSBM.

The PS2 controller was best for action games, RPGs, and sports. Unlike the GCN controller, it had a neutral button layout, where the X O ^ [] buttons were the same size. This made it easier to perform combos in action & sports games. Also, the circular layout of the analog stick surrounding thingy made it more comfortable for long RPG sessions, where there was a lot of running around.

The XBOX controller simply owned in the FPS genre. The stick was very accurate to shoot with, and any sniper from Halo 2 could tell you that. Also, the triggers provided an immersive experience to racing.

primusfan

Smash Ace
I always thought the GC controller was close to perfect. The XBOX controller was kinda big, although I did like the L and R triggers; great for shooting games. The PS2 controller is always difficult when it comes to finding a comfortable spot for my hands. I'm just hoping the Wii-mote doesn't feel too weird.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
2: The differently sized buttons (A, X, Y, B) make certain fighting games awkward unless you take the two-fingered approach, and don't contribute much to anything
Really? I thought it was great for fighting games, since then you know by feel where the buttons are, rather than with the playstation, where a combo might be square square circle triangle square but you keep pressing the wrong buttons because they're all the same (whenever I play on a playstation it takes me quite a while to stop looking at the pad so I can try and see where square is.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Really? I thought it was great for fighting games, since then you know by feel where the buttons are, rather than with the playstation, where a combo might be square square circle triangle square but you keep pressing the wrong buttons because they're all the same (whenever I play on a playstation it takes me quite a while to stop looking at the pad so I can try and see where square is.
I can relate to this. For some reason I always have to look at the controller to see which button im pressing

Atleas with the GC controller each button has a unique position feals totally different. And like I said before. The size of the A button helps make games simple. The"action" button is nice and big so players know exactly where to go. Plus, you have the accessory buttons convieniently hovering around it.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord

I've never had that problem (I forgot how the SNES was laid out, so I'll just use the PS2 example):
Square is neutral thumb tip, X is neutral thumb second middle, and triangle and circle are the same, but raised up into a slightly less comfortable position. But try pressing B and X on a GCN controller without hitting A or using two fingers - It's impossible unless you have some freakishly flexible joints.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I've never had that problem (I forgot how the SNES was laid out, so I'll just use the PS2 example):
Square is neutral thumb tip, X is neutral thumb second middle, and triangle and circle are the same, but raised up into a slightly less comfortable position. But try pressing B and X on a GCN controller without hitting A or using two fingers - It's impossible unless you have some freakishly flexible joints.
Paranoid Android brought up a good point.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
I have saved 80$ till now. Does anyone knows when the Wii reservations in the stores will start? I want to reserve it for the same day it comes out.......

Skywalker

Space Jump
I have saved 80$ till now. Does anyone knows when the Wii reservations in the stores will start? I want to reserve it for the same day it comes out.......
I would guess sometime after September 14th. Nintendo claims that will be the time "everything" will be unveiled.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Im going to try and preorder as soon as possible. What sucks is I need enough cash to preorder a Wii and a couple games too. It would be a nightmare to end up buying a system but unable to get any games with it. Now the only question is, which 2 games should I preorder? It's kinda hard to choose.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Yeah I figured that. I havent preordered any games yet. How much does it usually cost per game?
Nintendo is aiming for lower price tags than the XBOX 360, so I believe somewhere around $49.99, possibly less for titles that aren't quite as ambitious as Twilight Princess and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Reserving a piece of hardware will cost you atleast $50. Reserving a piece of software will cost you atleast $5. And remember, rumors are pointing to Gamestop, EB, etc. not taking reservations because of what happened with the 360.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
If that's a joke, its stupid.

For those who believe he actually has come up with that date, the date has been floating around the internet for a couple months, only heightened by an announcement from nintendo which was coupled by the message that the launch date might be hidden within it, and IGN came up with 10/02.

Skywalker

Space Jump
And remember, rumors are pointing to Gamestop, EB, etc. not taking reservations because of what happened with the 360.
If I remember correctly, Microsoft had a shortage of XBOX 360s, and people who reserved it had to wait. If the "No reservations" rumor is true, it could be that Gamstop/EB Games isn't willing to take such a chance.

Top Bottom