• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
It's been confirmed quite a few times that it'll be coming out before Thanksgiving. It may even be out as early as Oct. 2nd, if people figured things out correctly.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Okay, good news and bad news...lets go with the good first.

Taking advantage of the old-fashioned but very powerful 'word-of-mouth' marketing technique, Nintendo of America is hand-picking several lucky people across North America to host top-secret events promoting Nintendo's Wii, with 30 of their friends.

To be held next month, the 'Wii Ambassador' program will see Nintendo provide 6 Wii consoles plus food and drinks to each event. Further, those lucky enough to be in attendance will meet at a top-secret location before being transported to the unknown venue.

A user of 1UP.com has posted photos and details of a special package he received today, which included an Onyx Black Nintendo DS Lite unit and a personal invitation, signed by NOA President, Reggie Fils-Aime.

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/images/NEWS/WiiCertresize.jpg

Also, Tecmo has said that they will be "agressively suporting" the virtual console.

And now the bad news.

According to pcgames.com.cn, problems in the manufacturing process of the Wii-mote and the nunchuk controller have arised, causing extensive testing to be undertaken until satisfactory units are produced.

The publication says it made a visit to a particular factory, which also produces some PSP systems, and interviewed a quality controller, who revealed that mass production of Nintendo's products is proving to be a tedious task. Such problems reported are not related to the advanced internal technologies of the controllers, but rather buttons are said to be non-responsive and unnatural noises sound when the controllers are waved around. Further, some controllers are said to damage easily.

Currently the factory is testing samples and must then forward those to Nintendo Japan for further testing. It is claimed that if these issues cannot be ironed out soon, then the Wii's launch strategy may be under threat.

Of course, other factories are likely contracted to produce units and it is unknown as to widespread, or in fact significant, the reported problems are.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Okay, good news and bad news...lets go with the good first.

Taking advantage of the old-fashioned but very powerful 'word-of-mouth' marketing technique, Nintendo of America is hand-picking several lucky people across North America to host top-secret events promoting Nintendo's Wii, with 30 of their friends.

To be held next month, the 'Wii Ambassador' program will see Nintendo provide 6 Wii consoles plus food and drinks to each event. Further, those lucky enough to be in attendance will meet at a top-secret location before being transported to the unknown venue.

A user of 1UP.com has posted photos and details of a special package he received today, which included an Onyx Black Nintendo DS Lite unit and a personal invitation, signed by NOA President, Reggie Fils-Aime.

http://www.aussie-nintendo.com/images/NEWS/WiiCertresize.jpg
The question is whether those who go the event will tell us all about it, or be forced to keep what they learned secret. I hope for the former.
Also, Tecmo has said that they will be "agressively suporting" the virtual console.

And now the bad news.

According to pcgames.com.cn, problems in the manufacturing process of the Wii-mote and the nunchuk controller have arised, causing extensive testing to be undertaken until satisfactory units are produced.

The publication says it made a visit to a particular factory, which also produces some PSP systems, and interviewed a quality controller, who revealed that mass production of Nintendo's products is proving to be a tedious task. Such problems reported are not related to the advanced internal technologies of the controllers, but rather buttons are said to be non-responsive and unnatural noises sound when the controllers are waved around. Further, some controllers are said to damage easily.

Currently the factory is testing samples and must then forward those to Nintendo Japan for further testing. It is claimed that if these issues cannot be ironed out soon, then the Wii's launch strategy may be under threat.

Of course, other factories are likely contracted to produce units and it is unknown as to widespread, or in fact significant, the reported problems are.
I pray this doesn't become a huge problem. It could ruin the Wii and I, for sure, don't want that to happen.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The question is whether those who go the event will tell us all about it, or be forced to keep what they learned secret. I hope for the former.
Concidering the fact they're doing it for word-of-mouth advertising, I think it's safe to assume they're able to talk about it.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Will this replace September 14th, or will the Ambassador event just add on to September 14th?

Zink

Smash Champion
What I anticipate is some kind of pre-launch thing with the Ambassadors, who then go around telling everyone the Wii is awesome like a week before launch to get everyone revved up.

kaid

Smash Master
The Wii ambassidor session in los angeles, CA, is September 15th, the day after Reggi's announcement. (the ambasidar in question has a blog on IGN)

primusfan

Smash Ace

:eek:That sucks....BAD. They have to figure out what's wrong with it soon. We need Wii out in stores before Thanksgiving like they said.

Skywalker

Space Jump
:eek:That sucks....BAD. They have to figure out what's wrong with it soon. We need Wii out in stores before Thanksgiving like they said.
I can almost guarentee Nintendo will fix it before the Wii releases stateside; their consoles and controllers have always been somewhat durable.

EDIT: So, the two events are one day apart? This should be interesting.

Skywalker

Space Jump
Yeah, but Nintendo's never made any controller like this before. It could be more complicated to make or fix or whatever.
Yeah, it would be extremely complex. However, Nintendo already has experimented in the past with revolutions. Did 8-bit graphics work? Yes. Did the 64's analog stick work? Yes. Did the DS work? Yes.

After a fine track record, it's doubtful that Nintendo will screw up one of the most hyped systems of all time.

Skywalker

Space Jump
It would really suck if they had to make a late launch.
Let them make a late launch if they have to. Gamers complained about Halo 2 being delayed . . . and it ended up becoming one of the greatest FPSs of all time. If Nintendo needs that extra month to improve some things, then let them.

LemonManX

Smash Lord
True, this isn't Bungie.net. But they were both fine games, only lacking the addition of bots in multiplayer... anyway back to the Wii.

Its look promising thats for the sure, the wiimote... the nunchuck... the games... the support... the Wi-Fi (even though it uses lame friend codes). Nintendo will make up some lost ground this generation.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Reggie said it a while ago in some interview saying they were going to try and keep it as similar to the DS's online. It wa said quite a while ago, so good luck finding a link to a source. :/

Skywalker

Space Jump
Reggie said it a while ago in some interview saying they were going to try and keep it as similar to the DS's online. It wa said quite a while ago, so good luck finding a link to a source. :/
I doubt that Nintendo will stick with it, though. The friend code system worked quite well for the DS, as it was handheld, and most of the games were aimed at pre-teens.

Nintendo may do something different for Brawl, as it will likely become a more "hardcore" game than Mario Kart.

chalupa

Smash Cadet
NNID
TacoShell
3DS FC
3265-5071-3854
It's been confirmed quite a few times that it'll be coming out before Thanksgiving. It may even be out as early as Oct. 2nd, if people figured things out correctly.
this cant be right cause the nintendo fusion tour takes place well through october (im going the 15th) and one of the ads is "be among the first to play the wii" and if its already out thats not correct

LemonManX

Smash Lord
I honestly have no idea if they'll stick with friends codes... if they do then hell I suppose we get what we pay for (which is $0). But I suppose I can handle friends codes if I must, Wi-Fi will be too fun to say no to, of course we could get lucky and they could announce a change in their online plans.

Two versions of every game? I also doubt that would happen... it would take alot just to make two versions of Wii games.

And we don't know when the Wii is coming out, they did say before thanksgiving but there are rumours of a delay in the production of Wiimotes.

Skywalker

Space Jump
I honestly have no idea if they'll stick with friends codes... if they do then hell I suppose we get what we pay for (which is $0). But I suppose I can handle friends codes if I must, Wi-Fi will be too fun to say no to, of course we could get lucky and they could announce a change in their online plans.
Yeah, it wouldn't be the end of the world if Nintendo included the friend code system. I imagine that there would be a sticky for exchanging friend codes if such a thing happened. However, I want more . . .
Two versions of every game? I also doubt that would happen... it would take alot just to make two versions of Wii games.
Games have never had two different versions simply for ratings, except certain incidents with Jack Thompson certain polititians.
And we don't know when the Wii is coming out, they did say before thanksgiving but there are rumours of a delay in the production of Wiimotes.
That may be true, but until it's official, the broad "Fall" release date is good enough.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I heard about EA supposedly leaking the price on the Wii as being $170, so partly out of curiosity I called EB and asked if you could reserve the Wii yet. I actually didn't expect to because no launch date's been announced yet, but the guy (who I know is the store manager) said that he doens't think you'll be able to reserve them, my guess being because of the 360 debacle. I really don't have time to camp out in front of EB or Walmart for three days. He did say there are games you can reserve for Wii, but TP wasn't even on the list. Btw, do you think it's too much to ask for SSBB to be on those demos, even just the chars that have been announced so far on like two or three stages? I guess that would have to be called wishful thinking.

PS. The first page doesn't mention the day this month they're supposedly announcing the release date. Has that specific day been announced?

Skywalker

Space Jump
Wii (and PS3) demo stands due October/November.

*Drools on floor*
I heard about EA supposedly leaking the price on the Wii as being $170 . . .
That price is seems to be too good to be true, but if it is, the sales will be immense. The only question is whether Nintendo will be profiting; or losing money for every console sold -- which is still happening for the Xbox 360.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
tbh, I would expect them to raise the price to 200 dollars and throw in wii sports/extra controller instead of keeping it at 170 dollars. That's just a weird number...

And I don't think friend codes would be that bad a thing IF there is only 1 code for each system. It would still require you to add people personally (so it's safe) but it's not so time consuming and irritating that I just never play my friends online.

Skywalker

Space Jump
tbh, I would expect them to raise the price to 200 dollars and throw in wii sports/extra controller instead of keeping it at 170 dollars.
Or make two packages for the Wii, one $199.99, the other $169.99.
And I don't think friend codes would be that bad a thing IF there is only 1 code for each system. It would still require you to add people personally (so it's safe) but it's not so time consuming and irritating that I just never play my friends online.
'Not a bad revision for the Friend Code system.

I'd also like the ability to party up with other players in Brawl -- I'll get my *** kicked by some of you.:laugh:

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
Or make two packages for the Wii, one $199.99, the other $169.99.
Well there wouldn't be a point to that package then :confused:

I don't think nintendo will be making different versions like sony and microsoft simply because it's confusing for a lot of consumers. I'm not sure how the price translates from america to england exactly but I would be a little annoyed if the base console + controller is more than 130 pounds (the price of gamecube launch). I am paying for hardware that's not much more powerful, especially when you factor in that it's been 5 years and the controller can't add THAT much to the price. I reckon it'll have a £150 price tag with a game bundled in and no other choice :).

Top Bottom