• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
O_o.........eh it's not really bad, I liked the sound of Revolution better though. I just cant see myself using Wii in a sentence without feeling slightly ********.

Like I could just see this happening.

Girlfriend on phone: So what you doing?
Me: Playing with my Wii

:ohwell: lmfao eh. It kinda makes me want to go around screamin wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii! :joyful:

LOL. w/e. Im still getting one reguardless.

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
Destiny Smasher said:
"I'm just going to pretend that they didn't change the name.

[generic I love the Revolution comment]"

[generic immature spaz comment] :p

*COUGH* iPod *COUGH*

Supidest name ever!
Go ahead and say it!
iPod
Yea, that DEFINITELY sounds like an MP3 player that plays, music, doesn't it?
Psh. Bullcrap.

And does the name iPod sound dumb after it sells well and we all refer to it all the time?
Nope.
Did people bash the iPod because it sounded stupid?
I don't think so.
And XBox 360?
How queer is that, really?

So quit your whining and deal with it. If they do keep this name and the Wii sells, I'll guarantee it'll catch on.
Generic immature spaz comment? Pfft. I hate the name, what can I say?

"Supidest name ever!
Go ahead and say it!
iPod"

Wii is easily worse than "iPod". Easily.

"And does the name iPod sound dumb after it sells well and we all refer to it all the time?
No-"

Yep.

"Did people bash the iPod because it sounded stupid?"

Is that what any of us are doing here? It has a stupid NAME. NAME.

"And XBox 360?
How queer is that, really?"

Not very?

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
quick question, is Wii soposed to be pronounced like the payroll paper thw W-2 (dubya two) or is it dubya ei ei?

EDIT: WERNT!!!! nermind. i saw BACH's post. we? wtf is up with that? thats gay as ****.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
I do agree with that notion.

Supporting what I've been getting at, here's Kaplin, one of the big talkers of the big N:

"I think people have to look back and let it settle in. I'm sure people felt the same way when Google was named – or the iPod. Napster. Yahoo. There's a whole host of unusual names that have become a part of everyday conversation and I think they're viewed now as unique."

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I actually like the name. To quote The Fairly Oddparents:

Cosmo said:
"We" can mean anything! "We three," "We the people," or my favorite... WEEEEE!!!
The Revolution sounds like a better name for a game system, but Wii is still hilarious enough to work. The name automatically makes it sounds fun, because it sounds like "WEEE!!!" :)

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
Invincible Fox said:
Or rather then let's play some Wii I'm just going to say "Let's play some Revo" Also when the DS came out people though "DS?!? how stupid is that?" Don't worry Nintendo knows what they're doing
I think we can all agree that "DS" and "Wii" aren't even in the same dimension of stupid. I never really saw anything wrong with DS myself, actually.

Let the horrible, horrible wordplay commence!

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Concering what was said above about the NAME not the product, tell me this: do you buy names or products?
I rest my case. Regardless of the name, if the console is still good, it will STILL be good.

Also, notice that Nintendo is getting exactly what they want--shock, surprise, PRESS.
People are talking about this now, and its gathering attention to the console just before E3.
Coincidence? I doubt it.

We can judge the name all we want, but if a name is what sells a product and not the product itself, then that just goes to show how STUPID consumers really are.

We don't know the entire picture yet, and until we do, we can't really judge anything too much except make our little kid pee jokes.

At least they went for something that wasn't 'generic video game word + geometric shape + number.'

It's different, and it's got people talking.
That's called press, and as long as Nintendo can follow up with a good product, then this press is doing exactly what it should--build curiosity and suspense.
If people doubt the stupid name and it turns out to be a hit seller, then it'll only leave us more impressed than it would if it had a more generic name.

Don't misinterpret me, though--Revolution was STILL the coolest console name ever.
But the name doesn't matter quite as much to me as the GAMES do, know what I'm sayin'?
Super Smash Brothers Melee would STILL be just as good if it was titled, "Smash Bop Sockem Pee People." And we'd be lazy anyway and call it SBSPP instead of SSBM.
Point is, names don't make products.
---

First thing *I* thought when I first saw the name and logo: Korean MP3 player. The thing people have to remember is, Nintendo's trying really hard to change, and if you've followed all the craziness surrounding this thing, a goofy-sounding name shouldn't be that shocking, especially following the initial controller reveal. Now they're saving the best for last: the games. - Ray Barnholt of 1Up.com

You've gotta admit, a radically weird name matches a radically weird console. :psycho:
Everyboday was having these EXACT same reactions when the controller was revealed, remember. ;)

Bahamut

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
Bahamut3585
Except now it'll be called Super Smash Brothers WII-LEE.

This won't preclude me from buying the system, but it WILL prevent me from telling other people I got it.
Destiny Smasher said:
Everyboday was having these EXACT same reactions when the controller was revealed, remember.
I'm still not sold on THAT, either . . .

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
LOL.
Dude, if this name sticks, and it SELLS, I am gonna be SO excited to say, "It's a WII! And it's my Wii, and I love my Wii very much."

Anyway, yea, people were TOTALLY flipping out and getting just as upset over the controller, and look at THAT.
Nintendo may prove everyone wrong--we'll have to waiut and see.
Gotta appreciate them for keeping the gaming industry lively and fresh, though.

They've got all these water cooler conversations going on.

beckhamisaqueer

Smash Cadet
It would be sweet if the Big N used this to hype it up before E3, then switch it to a real name. But sadly, that is a far off dream.

Wii sucks. I will probably still buy it, but I am not the market. Think of how many people will pass on it because its name is a joke. Most people are dumb. Nintendo already has a kiddy image. I'm sure Wii will solve that. Marketing to everyone? Scratch out teenage boys, and young adults. How many of your grandmothers will drop what they're doing and go buy a "Wii." Scratch that out. Wii doesn't market to everyone. Wii markets the little five year olds who think it's fun to say.

I remember two years ago when I was a nintendo fanboy. I only wish I could say that now.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I like how people are trying to justify this by talking about other products names.

"The playstation?" "How gay is that?" "What is it, like a station were you play games?"
"And don't get me started on the gameboy. Where's the boy at?" "Huh?" "Huh?"

Of course the name wouldn't stop me from buying it, but that doesn't mean it's not incredibly ridiculous.

Nice pic EE.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I agree, this name is terrible. Absolutly terrible.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Chill said:
I like how people are trying to justify this by talking about other products names.

"The playstation?" "How gay is that?" "What is it, like a station were you play games?"
"And don't get me started on the gameboy. Where's the boy at?" "Huh?" "Huh?"
I've been laughing at DS's posts as well.

the Marronator

Smash Ace
Bahamut said:
This was my reaction this morning:

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
My thoughts exactly. I don't have too much problems with the name Wii, but the thing it does do is make the system sound like it is for kids. The thing is Nintendo already has a reputation for having games that only kids play. When I asked people at my school, alot of them disliked nintendo because it was so kiddish, and this new name is definatly adding to that reputation.

Although I could easily live with that new name, "Revolution" sounds a lot better, expecially in public. "Hey, lets go home and play with my Wii!"

The name also will get a TON of puns.

kirbyultimate

Smash Lord
Yeah, the name sucks, but at least it's not as bad Nintendo 64! Ahahahaha!

Or Game Boy, for that matter. I mean, come on? If Game Boy came out now, you'd be screaming "Gay boy" so fast. It's only because it easily acronyms into GB for GBC, GBA, GBA SP that it works.

And don't get me started on the DS.

(Usually I don't rag on Nintendo this much, honestly. I hate Xbox more... and Xbox, the name, I mean hone...)

Giygas

BRoomer
BRoomer
I remember a similar dissatisfaction when Nintendo finally revealed the name for Twilight Princess. While it wasn't the best choice for the franchise, in my opinion, when you look at it in perspective, you don't have the connotations of urine, genitalia, etc.

Seriously. I've been watching a virtual internet meltdown, going through message board posts on IGN, 1Up, Nintendo.com (which has been having server issues all day because of the news), Gamespot, etc. The Wii jokes were a dead horse being beaten within the first few hours, and I don't think it will stop. If people still use names like "Gaystation", "Sucksbox", etc., I can only imagine what horrors they'll concoct for wii.

Heck, I'm afraid to tell my friends the new name. We're all psyched for the final Revolution name and I don't want to suck the wind out of their sails by telling them what the folks at Nintendo managed to come up after putting "a lot of thought" into it, to quote Perrin Kaplan. When I told my wife about it this morning she remarked that it sounded like a preschool toy for a toddler or something.

I do agree that this kind of marketing can be good. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. 'Cept if it's bad, it can throw a wrench in things. I remember a car called the Chevy Nova that didn't sell in Mexico because "Nova" means "no go" or "doesn't go" in Spanish. With "Wii" being the spawn of thousands of urine and phallic jokes all over the place on the first day alone, this can quickly snowball into something very bad.

Of course, Nintendo will stick with this. It'll grow on us, I know. But still... when a company has to devote time and resources defending their name, that's a dead giveaway that it's not so hot. IGN, Game Informer, and a few other sites have already interviewed Nintendo reps on why they chose the name.

I'm still in utter disbelief. Nintendo always finds something each generation that is their achilles heel (cartridges on N64, no online play/purple toy box for GCN) and I thought no HD support would do it this generation, but it looks like the name might just take the cake.

Reggie's opening statement May 9th should be, "so... anyone heard any good jokes lately?"

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
kirbyultimate said:
(Usually I don't rag on Nintendo this much, honestly. I hate Xbox more... and Xbox, the name, I mean hone...)
Yet Xbox makes sense as the name, as the console uses DirectX and it's uh... the shape of a box. Names that make sense are nice, I just don't see how Wii goes so well with a videogame console.

Giygas. So you guys finally got married? I haven't been to any forums besides GameFAQs today that mention the name, and the only area I've seen it mentioned on GameFAQs (out of the areas I visit) is Next-Gen Gaming. The room is always a mess... but right now it's a mess of Wii topics.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Cashed said:
I've been laughing at DS's posts as well.
Shh. I was trying to be subtle.

I believe the Chevy Nova's name was changed when it was sold to Mexican consumers. I don't think that will be the case here. It's not the worst thing they could have come up with (or maybe it is) but I don't think it will help them to expand their audience. Haven't they heard of focus groups?

F8X

Smash Ace
Giygas said:
I remember a similar dissatisfaction when Nintendo finally revealed the name for Twilight Princess. While it wasn't the best choice for the franchise, in my opinion, when you look at it in perspective, you don't have the connotations of urine, genitalia, etc.

Seriously. I've been watching a virtual internet meltdown, going through message board posts on IGN, 1Up, Nintendo.com (which has been having server issues all day because of the news), Gamespot, etc. The Wii jokes were a dead horse being beaten within the first few hours, and I don't think it will stop. If people still use names like "Gaystation", "Sucksbox", etc., I can only imagine what horrors they'll concoct for wii.

Heck, I'm afraid to tell my friends the new name. We're all psyched for the final Revolution name and I don't want to suck the wind out of their sails by telling them what the folks at Nintendo managed to come up after putting "a lot of thought" into it, to quote Perrin Kaplan. When I told my wife about it this morning she remarked that it sounded like a preschool toy for a toddler or something.

I do agree that this kind of marketing can be good. Word of mouth is a powerful thing. 'Cept if it's bad, it can throw a wrench in things. I remember a car called the Chevy Nova that didn't sell in Mexico because "Nova" means "no go" or "doesn't go" in Spanish. With "Wii" being the spawn of thousands of urine and phallic jokes all over the place on the first day alone, this can quickly snowball into something very bad.

Of course, Nintendo will stick with this. It'll grow on us, I know. But still... when a company has to devote time and resources defending their name, that's a dead giveaway that it's not so hot. IGN, Game Informer, and a few other sites have already interviewed Nintendo reps on why they chose the name.

I'm still in utter disbelief. Nintendo always finds something each generation that is their achilles heel (cartridges on N64, no online play/purple toy box for GCN) and I thought no HD support would do it this generation, but it looks like the name might just take the cake.

Reggie's opening statement May 9th should be, "so... anyone heard any good jokes lately?"
Dude I was just about to type this in relation to the Nova :laugh:

It makes no sense, this in my mind seems more like a publicty.

I just hope this is not like the Xbox 360 launch, there will be people out to get their hands on my Wii.
http://wiiwtf.ytmnd.com/

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Destiny Smasher said:
Anyway, yea, people were TOTALLY flipping out and getting just as upset over the controller, and look at THAT.
Nintendo may prove everyone wrong--we'll have to waiut and see.
Umm.....no. The Revmote originally looked stupid and people began to like it because of the many possibilities it created. Wii is a name. You cant change someone's opinion on it. The best we can hope for is to wait it out for three or four years. After that, everyone will have gotten used to it. Just like we all got used to the other stupid names like Playstaion and Game Boy. My Playstation fanboy friends are going to milk this thing for so long.:(

Rumikun

Smash Apprentice
Wii?????
Wooooooooooooooooooow...... With the "iSomething" and "WiFi" fads today, they are better off calling it SSB Wi (as in WiFi)

or just stick to "Revolution" =\

rounder_nk

Smash Ace
Rumikun said:
Wii?????
Wooooooooooooooooooow...... With the "iSomething" and "WiFi" fads today, they are better off calling it SSB Wi (as in WiFi)
Originally Posted by BACH
It is not called REVOLUTION anymore - it's called Wii (pronounced we) i repeat - W i i
sorry but i had to because the posts were on the same page. :p

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
Bahamut said:
Except now it'll be called Super Smash Brothers WII-LEE.

This won't preclude me from buying the system, but it WILL prevent me from telling other people I got it.I'm still not sold on THAT, either . . .
You should write proverbs or something, because that is exactaly how I would have said it if I hadn't put my head through the wall after I found out what the Rev is actually called.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Well, I can at least say that the Wii thing has made quite a big splash. And also, whenever i think or say the word "we", I automatically think of the Wii. Hope this doesn't continue... After one week of this, I will be very pissed.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Destiny Smasher said:
"My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb. However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation.
And yet, none of them are named after a wasate product of the human body. There's no game system named Poop is there? How about Pus?

Munzer

Smash Rookie
Il just repost what i posted in the other topic.....cuz im lazy.

Personally I am a little dissapointed with nintendo, I think that revolution would have been a better name. Dont get me wrong im definately going to get this regardless, but this was probably a bad marketing decsision.

Yes Nintendo is know for being innovative and yes this is innovative, however this just doesnt seem like the smartest thing to do, especially when they arent doing very well in the console war. There will most likely be people who dont buy this simply because it sounds too "kiddie".

This reminds me of zelda WW which was a very good game, although it probably would have sold more if it wasnt cell shaded. Some of my friends as well as many other people would not even buy it simply because of how it looked. There are many close-minded people who will also not buy this now simply because of its name. If more people were open-minded this would not be a problem, but it is. Nintendo needs to stop thinking that they know best and listen to their consumers.
(And im not tryin to put Nintendo down just adding my 2 cents)

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
Munzer said:
This reminds me of zelda WW which was a very good game, although it probably would have sold more if it wasnt cell shaded. Some of my friends as well as many other people would not even buy it simply because of how it looked. There are many close-minded people who will also not buy this now simply because of its name. If more people were open-minded this would not be a problem, but it is. Nintendo needs to stop thinking that they know best and listen to their consumers.
(And im not tryin to put Nintendo down just adding my 2 cents)
That is why there is debate over which is better. Graphics or gameplay? Nintendo is becoming less and less dominant over other systems. I agree they need to listen to their consumers but who are we to say they haven't made great games (Just saying).
Yes it looks bad with the name and all but we must remember we shouldn't judge by looks or what seems to be. Maybe it will change.

kaid

Smash Master
For those of you who feel Wii will contribute to the "kiddy" steriotype... why?

Is it because the first thing you think of is what you did in the bathroom before you learned the word piss? If so, a "kiddy console" would fit right in your mental age range.

Is it because Wii is too inclusive, that it makes you realize you have no life?

Or is it because you find it fun to say things with a lisp and then blame it on Nintendo?

Top Bottom