• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
commonyoshi said:
I fear that one day when they will make a game where we have to wave the revmote around to do spells. *shudders*
Why would you fear that? That sounds like a cool idea. It sounds kind of like Black and White, where when you wave your hand in a certain path it performs a miracle.

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Revolution doubling motion sensors [update 2]

The original post (preserved below) was an error on our part. We apologize. However, we thought it was important to emphasize the real news. That is, CVG reports that the secondary Revolution controller attachment — nicknamed the 'nunchaku'— will contain accelerometer/motion sensor technology. This opens the door for dual motion-controlled inputs. For example, in an FPS game, one hand would controller looking and moving, while the other hand would control aiming and firing.

While looking and aiming are traditionally one action, the Revolution could potentially separate the two. Imagine running in one direction and blindly shooting in another. An intriguing concept, but not necessarily useful.

That's not to say that dual motion sensors aren't useful. Imagine a game that requires one hand to push forward and pull back while the other hand rotates/rolls from side to side. We're thinking some form of flight simulator, but the possibilities for innovative game concepts are truly limitless.

Source: Joystiq

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Two new Rev games have been announced.

Elebits by Konami

Weekly Famitsu has the scoop on Konami's first Nintendo Revolution title, Elebits. Produced by Shingo Mukaitouge (Guitar Freaks & Drum Mania series), the game features the new Elebit creatures. Players will explore the game world, hunting these Pikmin-like characters, which actually serve as an energy source for the movement of the game world. The name Elebit is derived from "electricity" and "bit" (as in "tiny") — 'tiny power-charged creatures.'

Mukaitouge says that Elebits is being designed using three focal concepts:

* The sensation of actually touching the game world (inside of the screen)
* Manipulating objects to find things
* The introduction of the Elebits

With Elebits, Konami looks to be targeting casual gamers. Indeed, the game is said to include some stages that can be completed in less than 10 minutes. As for online multiplayer, Konami has not yet made a commitment, staying focused on the development of the game's single player experience.

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz by Sega

Sega has announced Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz for the Nintendo Revolution. The next installment looks to return the series to its roots with classic action/puzzle gameplay. As expected, the Revolution's unique functionality will add a new dimension to the playing field, allowing players to control the game world by tilting the controllers. Also, for the first time, a jump-ability will be added to game, initiated by flicking the controller upward.

As with previous SMB titles, party games will be one of Banana Blitz's biggest draws, and Sega has promised a huge library of dynamic mini-games designed with the Revolution in mind, including Whack-a-Mole and ring toss.

ALSO: on e3 announcements:

CNN recently opined on Sony and Nintendo's strategies for E3. According to the prediction, Sony won't be revealing the launch price for the PlayStation 3. Instead, that announcement will be saved for a future date PR opportunity. And while Nintendo will come clean with the official name of the Revolution, don't expect the company to be talking price tags either, or for that matter, a launch date.

With little chance of one-upping the competition, Microsoft will use the event to hype Windows Vista gaming. As for the Xbox 360, well, CNN declares we'll "see the first footage from the next installment of Halo..."

Source: Joystiq

SnaKKer

Smash Rookie
The Revolution is going to do so much for gaming... the 360 and PS3 are great, but this controller is gonna do wonders. And for so cheap, how can you not want to pick one up. Good stuff.

Zink

Smash Champion
I heard they are thinking about bundling the shell and nunchaku free. This was posted a while back.
Plus, I think the top additions they can add is 1) a lightgun thing and 2) a variation on nunchaku
Not much room to add on, although anyway I would expect them to be cheap.
And even if not, I would buy them for the full game experience.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Craftstar said:
Microsoft will use the event to hype Windows Vista gaming.
It's a freaking OS. Other than showing Halo 2 (with probably enhanced visuals), wtf?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
*grumble* I had IE crash TWICE while editing my post to say that....

Wii.....sigh......

"I'm going to do a wii"
"I'm playing with my wii-wii"

With a name like that, it's not even able to be stolen....

"I just stole this new console"
"Oh, you took a Wii?" *laughter*

Super Smash Bros Wii? Mario Kart Wii? I don't really think they thought this through....

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
dAhaRShdudE: dude
tworabidmonkeys: Hi!
dAhaRShdudE: The Revolution's final name is ****ing Wii
tworabidmonkeys: WHAT
dAhaRShdudE: Nintendo Wii
tworabidmonkeys: what the hell
tworabidmonkeys: Are you serious
tworabidmonkeys: Did E3 start or something
dAhaRShdudE: pronounced "We" (you would know this though, since you're in Japanese) but ****ing Wii
tworabidmonkeys: OH ****
dAhaRShdudE: No. It's Nintendo's pre-E3 hype
tworabidmonkeys: IT'S ON IGN
dAhaRShdudE: I TOLD YOU
tworabidmonkeys: Jesus
dAhaRShdudE: hahahha
dAhaRShdudE: I thought Xbox 360 was weird.
dAhaRShdudE: But jesus. Wii?
tworabidmonkeys: I'm picturing little kids going down slides.
dAhaRShdudE: Hahahaha
dAhaRShdudE: that actually made me chuckle
tworabidmonkeys: You know, when I found out that Revolution was a codename, I was really relieved.
tworabidmonkeys: Because that was kind of a cliche name.
dAhaRShdudE: Would you take Rev or Wii?
dAhaRShdudE: I'd take Rev.
tworabidmonkeys: But Wii...
dAhaRShdudE: "LET'S GO PLAY SOME ****ING WII!"
tworabidmonkeys: Stick with Rev, dammit
dAhaRShdudE: "I'm gonna go home and play Wii online"
tworabidmonkeys: oy vey
dAhaRShdudE: looks like WWII to me when I see it
dAhaRShdudE: Wii
Wwii
dAhaRShdudE: NINTENDO WORLD WAR II
tworabidmonkeys: I can't believe Nintendo didn't think of any of these things

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Nintendo's controller is wildly different, and as is this name.
I think it's sort of a mistake just changing from the name that people got USED to.

The DS wasn't supposed to be its name, but they stuck with it.

And I'm getting really SICK of consoles with numbers in their names.
But Wii...is a little...interesting.

I mean, if the games still rock, then wii are going to be having a lot of fun regardless of the name.

But yea, I personally really liked Revolution.
Who knows? If they get enough negative feeback (which is ALL I have seen thus far) they may change it back.

--

Here's a good point someone made:

"My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb. However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."

I gotta admit, names for game systems ARE pretty cheesy and dumb. PlayStation? When you sit and think about it, it really is pretty stupid.
XBox? Bleck.
And Nintendo? :psycho:

But the names have grown on us.

Also, according to Gamespot, 'ii' means 'good' in Japanese.
Kind of like how 'wa' means bad, so 'Wario' is even more of a pun besides the upside down 'M.'

Anyway, if this is the name they stick with, so be it, game console names are stupid, just make sure the games are good!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Ii = Good
Warui = Bad

Waluigi is a pun. Not Wario.

DS said:
I mean, if the games still rock, then wii are going to be having a lot of fun regardless of the name.
I see what you did there.

SnaKKer

Smash Rookie
Nintendo is weird. This is a weird name. I'm assuming they'll have a great online service, since they're got this pluralist name.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Drab, you're just to clever. I thought JMY was just having a little fun. For some reason I'm not shocked at all. But c'mon, wii? WII!?

If Nintendo picked this name I have no hope in the remaining "secret".

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Chill said:
Drab, you're just to clever. I thought JMY was just having a little fun. For some reason I'm not shocked at all. But c'mon, wii? WII!?

If Nintendo picked this name I have no hope in the remaining "secret".
According to rumors, the accelerometer thing Craftstar posted is the final secret.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Omfg. I think this is basically just absolutely hilarious.

I'm sure after the initial shock phase we'll all get over it, but. omfg. wii.

You at least have to give credit to Nintendo for being original.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
I read this earlier, and I had mixed reactions. On the one hand, I had this sinking feeling of sorrow and dread. And on the other hand, I was furiously abandoning my anticipation. This is just
SO
FREAKING
LAME.
I can't even bear to attempt to comprehend it. And did anyone read the bull that Nintendo wrote to justify this? Not "Wii" as in a play off of "WiFi," no, we have... this:
Nintendo said:
Wii sounds like "we," which emphasizes that the console is for everyone. Wii can easily be remembered by people around the world, no matter what language they speak. No confusion. No need to abbreviate. Just Wii.

Wii has a distinctive "ii" spelling that symbolizes both the unique controllers and the image of people playing it. And Wii, as a name and a console, brings something revolutionary to the world of videogames that sets it apart from the crowd.

So that's Wii. But now Nintendo needs you. Because it's really not about you or me. It's about Wii. And together, Wii will change everything.
I have never heard so much crap squeezed into one artical before. This is just dumbfounding, overall. I know it's not really that big of a deal, it's not the world ending or anything, but... dear God.

I want to find the Japanese hippy marketer responsible for this and inflict harm upon their person.

SnaKKer

Smash Rookie
I don't think they'd make such a bizarre name without a really unique, strong system to back it and make people care.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trust me, if they stick with this name, it'll grow on us.

Sillier names have.

Game Boy? How gay is that, when you sit and thinkabout it?
And I mean, NINTENDO. WTF? It's a very silly name, but because of what it's associated with, we're fine with it.

Still, The Revolution was the coolest name for a console I know of, with the Genesis being in 2nd place, and maybe the Dreamcast in third.
Just about any name of a console that doesn't sound like 'Game' 'Play' or 'Box' in it is already more original than everything out there!

Kokichi

Skia Oura
BRoomer
Cashed said:
I see what you did there.

When the name of your console is a pun, you know something's gone wrong...But whatever. I'm too over it now to fight it. Do whatever the freak you want, Nintendo. I think wii all just want good games.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Calling it Wii is like your mom wear that ugly sweater in public in front of all your friends.
Nintendo Fanboys got pwned.

Matt

Banned via Administration
When I saw the article headline on IGN, my first reaction was "oh, it's just a typo, they meant WiFi." I hate being wrong.

My brother whined about it for nearly an hour and even though I agree that it's a stupid stupid name, it ultimately doesn't matter. They wanted to reach out to a bigger audience? Yeah, that's a lost cause with a name like Wii. But the real fans are still going to support the system, per usual. They won't lose tons of money (as my brother predicts they will) simply because the name sounds silly.

But what they will lose is potential money. And lots of it.

What matters most, though, is the quality of the games, and I think there's very little doubt that the games will completely rule.

Mud Buddha

Smash Ace
It's just, imagine saying to someone "Maybe we should play some smash. You know, on my, uh, my Wii".

Ugh.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
Mud Buddha said:
It's just, imagine saying to someone "Maybe we should play some smash. You know, on my, uh, my Wii".

Ugh.
Arg yea why did it have to be Wii?
Dii, or Rii or Yii or anything else would have been better, cause at least you can talk to your friends about.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I quite hate the name, but I was probably going to buy a 360 and a Revo anyway, so it doesn't really matter. Not being able to use the name of my new Nintendo console in any sentence for the rest of my life won't stop me from playing it.

I thought you guys would enjoy this. Possible teen-adult(ish) content, but not really.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer

Srsly, the name isn't that bad. Anyways, you can always revert back to "let's play nintendo" instead of "let's play wii."

I have to admit, though, the name will probably go over much better in Japan.

Invincible Fox

Smash Journeyman
Or rather then let's play some Wii I'm just going to say "Let's play some Revo" Also when the DS came out people though "DS?!? how stupid is that?" Don't worry Nintendo knows what they're doing

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Invincible Fox said:
Or rather then let's play some Wii I'm just going to say "Let's play some Revo" Also when the DS came out people though "DS?!? how stupid is that?" Don't worry Nintendo knows what they're doing
I don't see how they do (know what they're doing) considering they picked "Wii" instead of "Revolution". It's not like the name will stop me from buying it, though, and I had been planning to more and more recently.

Note: It's 2:07 PM and I'm still as bothered by the name as I was a few hours ago. Maybe more.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
"I'm just going to pretend that they didn't change the name.

[generic I love the Revolution comment]"

[generic immature spaz comment] :p

*COUGH* iPod *COUGH*

Supidest name ever!
Go ahead and say it!
iPod
Yea, that DEFINITELY sounds like an MP3 player that plays, music, doesn't it?
Psh. Bullcrap.

And does the name iPod sound dumb after it sells well and we all refer to it all the time?
Nope.
Did people bash the iPod because it sounded stupid?
I don't think so.
And XBox 360?
How queer is that, really?

So quit your whining and deal with it. If they do keep this name and the Wii sells, I'll guarantee it'll catch on.

thedocsalive

Smash Ace
Personally, I don't have a problem with the name Wii. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, and I'll be fine as long as the quality of the system and games is still very good. However, I strongly loved the name Revolution. I thought to myself, "I'm not sure about Nintendo trying to attract non-gamers to this new system, but if it will work, it will work with the name 'Revolution.'" It seemed so perfect and fitting. With the code name of DS staying as the permanent name, I expected the same to happen with Revolution.

In the end, I think we'll adjust to the name Wii, but I feel Revolution would have been much better.

Top Bottom