• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Zink

Smash Champion
So maybe those of us with experience in using a particular weapon could use their experience in the game, knowing how to move the weapon... interesting.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
yes, its for the May 2006 issue, however, we all know that magazines are ****ed up and we get them the month before they are labled as, so subscribers should be getting this in the mail sometime this month.

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
Drab Emordnilap said:
To me, it looks just as good as what I've seen of the 360, frankly, but I'm not a graphics-whore, so I may be missing something.
I have to say I agree. It doesn't look quite as effects-laden, and the textures are pretty simple, but it looks very smooth and stylish, and the lighting is quite nice. Looks a heck of a lot better than any X-Box game I've played, anyway.

I'm a graphics-*****, not a tech-*****, and I assure you there's a difference. Graphics-whores care about how the games look, not the technology that goes into it, and I have to say, this looks better than a buttload of 360 games. Everything might not be overflowing with a cornucopia of bloom effects, but it still looks good. Although, you never really know until you see it in motion - Oblivion looks quite a bit worse in motion with the terrible animation and whatnot.

kaid

Smash Master

That's what the GC is capable of.

now imagine something twice as realistic, and you have what we can expect to start with on the Rev. it will only get better from there!

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
Well, keep in mind, pretty much a year of development has gone into Twilight Princess since the last batch of screens were released, unless I missed something.

Bread-Butterer

Smash Ace
Nah, Nintendo's been twiddling they're thumbs for a year waiting for e3.

I really don't think they'd do that to us -_-

atleast we know the 3rd party developement teams have been busy with titles like Red Steel and Sadness that hopefully we'll see a lot more of at e3. sigh...a month is too long to wait :(

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
link's face looks buttnasty in that pic. but i guess the horse looks decent for GC. i will very much appreciate the graphic of the Rev if they're twice as good as that.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'm finding these days, the less realistic it looks, the better the visuals seem to be.

kaid

Smash Master
That's a frame-of-reference thing. You KNOW what a person's propoptions should be, how they move, ect. If the game carries the impression of stylization, you can suspend it and simply appreciate the stylization.

For realistic games, however, the characters are supposed to look real... but we're still a few generations away. IMO, High Def is actually a step backward- it would be easier to make a model that looks just like a real person in standard def- High Def simply shows the flaws better.

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
Im worried about something.

In the RED STEEL game, you can swing the controler and make the sword swing...blah blah blah.

well if lets say 5 more games come out and use swords.....wouldnt they be pretty boring? cause wouldnt ALL those games play the SAME way.....swing control and sword moves?

do u get wha im saying?

Zink

Smash Champion
Pobabaly there won't be 5 sword games, Nintendo is smart enough to spread out over the genres. Also I bet the swordplay won't be as similar as you think.
Anyone want a fencing game?

Deo_Smash

Smash Apprentice
Zink's right. There are many types of ways to swordplay. Fencing is one, but a open-swinging is more of my taste. Plus, Ubisoft advised players to NOT swing wildly. So it'd be smart to watch where your swinging or you may take your own head off. So Ubi is making this a "watch your aim" kind-of experince, which will help in overall accuracy that can aid when you play other games. Other games may let you go nuts. Maybe other games will let you use other weapons such as Axes, hammers, and the list goes on. I wouldn't worry too much about the overuse of swordplay. Developers will (or should) come up with something differnt so they won't be a clone of Red Steel.

I'm up for a fencing game. After that, lets play quickdraw Zink.

Zink

Smash Champion
That would rock.
WHOA EDIT: quickdraw won't start until the sensor can tell you are facing backwards (or at least the controller is) then you hear a sound to turn around and shoot!

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
The Great Marth said:
Im worried about something.

In the RED STEEL game, you can swing the controler and make the sword swing...blah blah blah.

well if lets say 5 more games come out and use swords.....wouldnt they be pretty boring? cause wouldnt ALL those games play the SAME way.....swing control and sword moves?

do u get wha im saying?
Yeah! I mean if you played games all on the same controller it would get really bor--

Oh... wait. Every other console does that. At least the Revmote has different attachments and things, and it's the first of it's kind, so we won't get tired of it as fast, if it at all.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
I just read my GI, and I must say I am even more excited about the Rev. than ever!

And remeber what the article said. With Red Steel, they want to be the game that teaches the next gen how to use the contorller like a sword. Maybe that leaves room for more sword games to really expand on the different styles of sword use. Plus, any future sword using titles would filter themselves out if they are a good game or not. I mean, look at how many arcade shooting games there are, and then think, there are really only a couple of good ones that you play, because you know the game is better, like Time Crisis, or Area 51.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
brainstorming ideas for the rev makes me wish they hadn't said the controller add-on will look like a wavebird. I'd be fine with somthin that just looked like the right half of the wavebird. especially if i'm gonna be swinging my controller, I don't want to have to use both arms. I'd prefer it if the free-hand nunchaku setup stayed how it was and sothing just expanded the right hand side, which has always been the more active side since the beginning.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
kaid said:
IMO, High Def is actually a step backward- it would be easier to make a model that looks just like a real person in standard def- High Def simply shows the flaws better.
Doesn't that show you something? Why should we keep the old resolution when high-def lets you see more on screen and sharpens everything up, to the point where the old textures in games look terrible? A higher resolution is better, and yes, companies have to make higher-res textures and such for games in high-def, but that's a good thing. It gets rid of the boring, flat textures and gives you more life-like textures that look like they have depth and are full of color. If you play a game in high-def and standard def, there's a huge difference. Play a PC game in 640x480 with the lower-res textures on and then play the game in 1280x720 or higher with the high-res textures on and you'll see a remarkable difference. Yeah, the 1280x720 version won't look that great with the lower-res textures, but if you get the high-res textures in there, it's a huge difference.

Mic_128 said:
I'm finding these days, the less realistic it looks, the better the visuals seem to be.
Some non-realistic games are beautiful. I really like what Rare did in Kameo, and what I've seen of Viva Pinata. The graphics are stylish and cartoony, so when you see them you usually are just like "Whoa! That looks crazy!" instead of "So it looks like they went for realism and failed." It's not really about realism though, it's about art style. You can go for a realistic look, miss by quite a bit and still have a very nice looking game if you have a good art style. Kameo, Viva Pinata, Okami and Wind Waker are four examples of games with awesome art style. They aren't realistic looking at all, but they look amazing because of the art style. Developers can go for a realistic looking game with an awesome art style, it's just something that doesn't seem to stick out because it doesn't happen too often.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
The whole nunchaku joystick attachment does seem a little awkward, and maybe even a little limiting when it comes to having a full range of motion for your swinging hand (or whatever we should call it). I kinda figured maybe if the joystick attachment could have been wireless too, but after all the discrepencies the article claimed to have resolved concerning multiple controllers being universal and not full of complications, I guess having a wire conecting the joystick isnt soo bad after all.

EDIT: and in response to cashed, I can totally see what your saying, but in a agame like Twilight Princess, the idea is to be more realistic than any other link game yet, so by delaying the game, the public has the right to expect much more graphically, and maybe thats where there will be justification in criticising the game.

Resting_Fox

Smash Master
ChumpMoney said:
...in a agame like Twilight Princess, the idea is to be more realistic than any other link game yet, so by delaying the game, the public has the right to expect much more graphically, and maybe thats where there will be justification in criticising the game.
I doubt they delayed twilight princess to upgrade the graphics. They probably wanted to ad more to the gameplay. The graphics are fine even though just a little plastic looking. But all man-made attempts at nature have been plastic.

McFox

Spread the Love
BRoomer
I was under the impression that the reason TP was delayed was to add Revolution functionality. Unlike adding stuff to graphics, adding Rev. stuff actually makes sense for why it's delayed so long.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Cashed said:
Some non-realistic games are beautiful. I really like what Rare did in Kameo, and what I've seen of Viva Pinata. The graphics are stylish and cartoony, so when you see them you usually are just like "Whoa! That looks crazy!" instead of "So it looks like they went for realism and failed." It's not really about realism though, it's about art style. You can go for a realistic look, miss by quite a bit and still have a very nice looking game if you have a good art style. Kameo, Viva Pinata, Okami and Wind Waker are four examples of games with awesome art style. They aren't realistic looking at all, but they look amazing because of the art style. Developers can go for a realistic looking game with an awesome art style, it's just something that doesn't seem to stick out because it doesn't happen too often.
Indeed. This is the reason why Pixar has done so well (apart from their great stories and animation). When a super realistic person is attempted, people are going to notice that something isn't quite right. And so we should, we see humans in the mirror every day. Most people can't actually tell exactly what is wrong, but they know that it is something, and when something fake emulates us so closely to perfectly, it is human nature to be uncomfortable about it. In The Incredibles for instance, Pixar chose a very stylised human look and its trademark bright colours and sylised world, and it makes the movie so much more enjoyable than it would have been if everything was realistic.

Games that try to be super realistic always end up with bad, grainy texures, and scary looking characters, because systems are not nearly powerful enough to actually cater for what is neccessary for a truly realistic game, and even if they were, it would take forever to actually create a complete game at such a high detail, not to mention the fact that it would still end up looking unsettling anyway.

The game developers that succeed in making great looking games actually design the game for the system. They recognise their limitations, and adapt their art and design style to make the most of what they have. Even realistic looking games can look great, but they will always have a semi-stylised look because they know that it will have better results than a photo-real attempt. Most of my visually-favourite games all have very hand-painted looking textures, rather than a bunch of photomanipulated junk.

And McFox, I'm not sure if this is what you were getting at, but if they were redoing the graphics or something, it would take much longer than simply adding a new control scheme.

ChumpMoney

Smash Lord
All good points, but I still think the graphics presented by the Rev will be more than we or I atleast expected, so maybe I can just take it as a kind of bonus. I mean, those Red Steel screens were much more than I would have predicted.

Still, you gotta understand that TP is more on the level attempting to capture a more detailed realistic style. I'm sure if they wanted to do something unique like in Wind Waker, then it would have been more obvious from the start. I think thats why I expect more of a realistic look to TP, because from the start it looked as if this time the next Zelda game would follow that sort of path. And if it doesnt take the extra step in detail, then hey, whatever i'm sure it'll be a sweet game becuase frankly, Zelda games always kickass.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Toomin said:
I was under the impression that the reason TP was delayed was to add Revolution functionality. Unlike adding stuff to graphics, adding Rev. stuff actually makes sense for why it's delayed so long.

actually, no. i'm too lazy to dig through my posts, but miamoto sayed that TP was delayed for numerous reasons. Apparently most of the employess were happy because they now had time to add a lot more to the game that they didn't have time for before.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
i dont know a single person who has a high def tv. graphics dont worry me at all. the xbox 360's graphics phail when hooked up to a regualar tv.

Zink

Smash Champion
Good grief it was announced official a long time ago and we all discussed it to pieces!
EDIT: looks like there is an all-caps filter. just pretend, ok?

Top Bottom