• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Was anyone expecting their games to appear on the VC? If XBLXA didn't exist that might make sense. But it does and for them to put those games on a compettitors system would seem...silly.

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Holy crap, I had never thought of playing Goldeneye and Perfect Dark again on the rev...now I am sad.

F8X

Smash Ace
New News From F8X

This Just in
The Rev will have no hard drive
Here is a Story From Joystick
Revolution to support external HDDs & other 3rd party storage devices
During a recent conversation with CNN (focused on cheaper game prices), Nintendo President Satoru Iwata suggested that the Revolution would support a multitude of storage options. Referring to the console's USB ports, Iwata confirmed that "practically any storage method can be used."

The Nintendo Revolution will not feature an internal hard drive. Instead, the unit will utilize 512 MB of flash memory and built-in SD memory card support. In addition, Iwata's remarks imply that Nintendo intends to, ultimately, leave the best storage solution up to the consumer's discretion — a freedom that could give Nintendo an edge (in terms of consumer satisfaction) over Sony and Microsoft. For example, a quick search on Circuit City's website yields Seagate's 160 GB external drive for only $60 (with rebate). Compare that to Microsoft's $100, 20 GB 360 HDD (also manufactured by Seagate). No contest.

Memory options will be important for gamers looking to stockpile the Revolution's Virtual Console titles. Iwata noted that aside from classic games, Nintendo plans to issue new titles through the download service as well. But does the storage freedom mean a loss of security for Nintendo? That is, will this decision increase the prevalence of homebrew apps, including emulators that already run all of those classic games, on the Revolution? It's a tough call.
To read the stroy from cnn(which is brand new )click Here

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
i never cared that much for any of rare's games anyway so i wont miss them. the only thing i feel sad about is that there is no chance that banjo-tooie(sp?) will b in ssbr. im glad we can play donkey kong 64. i never was able to beat that game...

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Revo tech specs coming tonight!

http://gonintendo.com/?p=1735

or

gonintendo.com article said:
Matt Casamassina has posted on his IGN blog that we can expect, and I quote, “detailed Revolution tech specs with tonight’s IGN Revolution update. Very current, trusted, 100% legit info from extremely reliable sources.” He then goes on to say, “This is going to be interesting.”

Nintendo makes us wait for info on a daily basis, and now IGN is making us wait too! At least with IGN we will only have to wait a few hours. I will keep check on the IGN Revo page as best I can. Tonight at 9:00 pm I am being interviewed for an online newspaper, so I will be busy for an unknown amout of time. I will do my best to cover any news coming out of IGN during the interview. Let’s hope the info pops up before/after the interview! Thanks to Vaati for the heads up!

Aruun

BRoomer
BRoomer
They're uh, already posted.

IGN.com said:
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said that his company is not interested in waging a technology war against Microsoft and Sony, whose next generation consoles promise more power and in turn high-definition graphics. The Big N's still-codenamed Revolution system is in contrast designed to be quiet, small and affordable. Nintendo has invested millions in an innovative new controller that has the potential to permanently change the way people play games - for the better, the company hopes. As a result, players would be hard-pressed to find any Nintendo executive willing to go on the record about Revolution technical specs. In fact, former Nintendo of Europe marketing chief, Jim Merrick, indicated in an interview last year that the company may never divulge details on Revolution's horsepower to the public.

Obviously, Nintendo is unable to take the same approach with game studios, many of whom are currently working with Revolution development hardware and in possession of finalized system specifications. IGN Revolution is in regular contact with software houses making titles for Nintendo's new generation system. Last year we relayed to our readers initial system specs based on insider reports. Today, we present updated information on Revolution's "Broadway" CPU and "Hollywood" GPU, which are provided to Nintendo by IBM and ATI respectively.

For today's report we spoke to a variety of trusted development sources, all of whom are in possession of Revolution development hardware - some more finalized than others. The studios who updated us with this information have asked to remain anonymous for obvious reasons, but we can verify that the specifications forwarded to us are current and come by way of either official Nintendo documentation or benchmark tests with working Revolution kits.

Insiders stress that Revolution runs on an extension of the Gekko and Flipper architectures that powered GameCube, which is why studios who worked on GCN will have no problem making the transition to the new machine, they say. IBM's "Broadway" CPU is clocked at 729MHz, according to updated Nintendo documentation. By comparison, GameCube's Gekko CPU ran at 485MHz. The original Xbox's CPU was clocked at 733MHz. Meanwhile, Xbox 360 runs three symmetrical cores at 3.2GHz.

Clearly, numbers don't mean everything, but on paper Revolution's CPU falls performance-wise somewhere well beyond GameCube and just shy of the original Xbox. However, it's important to remember that the CPU is only one part of the equation.

Revolution's ATI-provided "Hollywood" GPU clocks in at 243MHz. By comparison, GameCube's GPU ran at 162MHz, while the GPU on the original Xbox was clocked at 233MHz. Sources we spoke with suggest that it is unlikely the GPU will feature any added shaders, as has been speculated.

"The 'Hollywood' is a large-scale integrated chip that includes the GPU, DSP, I/O bridge and 3MBs of texture memory," a studio source told us.

The overall system memory numbers we reported last December have not greatly fluctuated, but new clarifications have surfaced. Revolution will operate using 24MBs of "main" 1T-SRAM. It will additionally boast 64MBs of "external" 1T-SRAM. That brings the total number of system RAM up to 88MBs, not including the 3MB texture buffer on the GPU. By comparison, GameCube featured 40MBs of RAM not counting the GPU's on-board 3MBs. The original Xbox included 64MBs total RAM. Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 operate on 512MBs of RAM.

It is not known if the 14MBs of extra D-RAM we reported on last December are in the current Revolution specifications.

"The external RAM can be accessed as quickly as the main RAM, which is a nice touch," a developer we spoke with alleged.

Lots of numbers, but what do they all mean? The short answer is that Revolution is exactly as Nintendo has publicly stated: a console whose primary focus is not quadrupling raw horsepower, but rather a potentially gameplay-changing new controller. Nintendo's new hardware supports this innovative new peripheral and not the other way around. Looking back, it makes sense.

In early 2004, Nintendo's former president Hiroshi Yamauchi said that it was unnecessary to accelerate the release of next generation consoles; that current machines were more than adequate. The Big N announced that it would release a series of peripherals to extend the life of GameCube, but only halfheartedly supported the approach with limited microphone and bongo-enhanced titles.

Sources close to Nintendo have, however, told IGN Revolution that the company was experimenting with in-development GameCube controllers very similar to Revolution's freestyle-style unit. The problem research and development faced at the time was that these controllers encountered unavoidable latency issues, which made them nearly incompatible with fast-paced software. Apparently the Big N overcame this particular hurdle.

Whether or not Revolution is, in fact, a vehicle for the new freestyle controller or not, systems specs rarely tell the whole story. We would remind readers that during an era when polygon numbers meant everything, GameCube's polygon peaks were lower than PlayStation 2 and Xbox. However, few would disagree with the assertion that Resident Evil 4 - a title developed from the ground-up for Nintendo's system -- was one of the prettiest games of the generation.

A spokesperson for ATI had no comment, except to say that the provider was excited to be working with Nintendo on the Hollywood GPU.

IGN Revolution contacted Nintendo of America for comment, but the company did not return our query in time for publish.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
i think it's quite genius that this console has "secrets". it really has rised a few eye brows. it would be smart of them to keep the secrets until we bought the rev. there could be a little instruction booklet on what the secrts are. anyways, i hope they fix the controllers. everyone i know who has a system has had their control sticks all messed up. (except me:))

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Suprise, the secret is that the system doesn'tcome with anything except a disk that lets you play the "You are An Idiot" song in flash on the Rev, providing you've installed flash which you can't do unless you hack the Rev. Hah hah!

kaid

Smash Master
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/699/699033p1.html

near the bottom...

Iwata told CNNMoney that Revolution users would be able to expand the system's 512MBs of internal flash memory with SD Cards, which can be plugged into the front of the console. SD Cards come in sizes upward of 8GBs. More interestingly, though, is what Iwata suggested to the publication, which is that because Revolution features two USB ports "… practically any storage method can be used." This comment would seem to indicate that users will, in fact, be able to hook up a hard drive to Revolution for significantly expanded storage.

Finally, the Japanese executive hinted that more virtual console partners were on board and would be announced at a future date. "A number of different publishers are now interested in participating in this virtual console system," he said. "As far as the details, though, I believe we will wait for another opportunity before discussing them."

The Great Marth

Smash Lord
So by what he said^......you can use Flashdrives on the revo right? well what if you plug the drive into your CPU? could u look at your stats and stuff from your games?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I don't know about the Stats, but you could most likely store the games on your computer via Flash Drives.

Zink

Smash Champion
I wonder about using the USB ports for nonstorage reasons. like having a mouse/keyboard or a headset...lots of possibilities for the USB ports. maybe a USB hub can be used to connect multiple Revs together for LAN matches?

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
With these "official" stats on the performance, it pretty much confirms the fact that the rev may not be capable of running third party ports...sigh...I guess this really depends on how much the new games will be utilising the power of the other consoles.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Frankie Jones said:
With these "official" stats on the performance, it pretty much confirms the fact that the rev may not be capable of running third party ports...sigh...I guess this really depends on how much the new games will be utilising the power of the other consoles.
Not necessarily. The PS2 was underpowered compared to the others and it handled ports just fine. Admittedly, there's a bit of a bigger gap....

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I'm blaaaak! I mean, "baaaack!". Er, sorry.

It must have already occurred to someone, but I'm surprised I hadn't heard anyone point out how much versatility the USB ports could bring; can't believe I didn't think of it myself. What Zink said about the usefulness of these is especially interesting.

P.S. I'm guessing from his location that Frankie Jones was formerly JediMasterYoda? I think that was what his location said, at least.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
no, it's Fierce Deity Vegeta.

and i can't believe i didn't realize that about the usb either. that's definately something to think about.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
Mic_128 said:
Not necessarily. The PS2 was underpowered compared to the others and it handled ports just fine. Admittedly, there's a bit of a bigger gap....
As some people have been saying for a while now, the largeness of the gap may not be important to the ability to play the games. The other systems may be inherently more powerful, but all of that power isn't necessarily going to be used to run a given game.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
this months gameinformer mazagine shows of revolution graphics and gameplay

quoted from one of the posters who read the article
wow

holy crap, my blog has gotten 10,000 hits since i posted those scans. anyways, i just finished reading the actual article in game informer, and it says that the sword and guns can be twisted in your hand, by twisting the rev's remote. so you can shoot gangster style and block with the sword. also, there is split screen and online multiplayer planned, just no details yet. you can also jump over and take cover behind objects by moving the rev's remote towards a upturned table or a wall, and reload by pulling the remote back. by the way, they are ingame screenshots. this game is looking ****ing hot as hell.

posted by el moco @ 4:54 PM

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
why? those screens look incredible. this is the revolution in action, and its majorly kickass. imagine with a knife, you stab but at the same time twist the controller so that you twist the blade in their stomache for extra damage. this is going to be SO fun to play.

D1

Banned via Administration
Well pics never do justice for me I wanna see vids of how the game plays in motion then I'll give a final verdict...

...lol like anyone cares about my opinion XD.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
ChRed2AKrisp said:
why? those screens look incredible. this is the revolution in action, and its majorly kickass. imagine with a knife, you stab but at the same time twist the controller so that you twist the blade in their stomache for extra damage. this is going to be SO fun to play.
yea, i was thinking like, the next resident evil (hopefully RE4 style) would be so fit for this controller for the guns and knife. also walkin through creepy areas using the controller as a flash light would at to the realism. rev WILL own <3 nintendo

Plomid

Smash Ace
well yeah i do fail :laugh:
but this could give us a bite-size of what other games could look like(like say smash bros) and yeah if these are final we could expect some serious mind blowing **** from smash

Top Bottom