• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
And that's just it. The Wii doesn't have enough games that appeal to the hardcore audience. I'm not interested in Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars or Mario Strikers. They're games that appeal to the strictly Nintendo crowd. It needs more appealing games for people who are picky about their games and don't just want the same old series. It just all comes down to that difference in opinion. I have different taste than you in games, I bought a Wii, there's only a few select titles that I see that I'll end up buying for it. Your list of "epic" titles aren't nearly what I'd define as epic now a days, either. Epic games are the ones that pull you into the game, where the story rivals that of something you'd watch at a movie theater. I've yet to play a Wii game with pacing, audio, graphics and gameplay like that.

LOL. Come on Cashed, that has to be one of the biggest homer posts I've ever seen.

How does Metroid Prime appeal only to Nintendo? That's like saying, Halo only appeals to Nintendo people. They're both sci-fi first person shooters.

Fire Emblem? Are you serious? Alot of people other than Nintendo players play rpgs, and Fire Emblem is a good rpg. I think you're just a bit sour, because for the most part, with the exception of Oblivion, RPGs fail on the Xbox.

Bwii? Im not a huge fan of Bwii, but it's a decent game, that appeals to more than just Nintendo fans.

And the same old series? Halo 3 is basically Halo 2, with a few changes, and better graphics. Come on Cashed, take off the Xbox 360 graphics, and give Wii some cred.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I judge games solely on graphics? Oh man. If I did, I sure wouldn't hold Halo 3 so highly. I never stated graphics alone make a game epic, it's a combination of all the things I listed in my previous post.

Nice jab at the end there, too, saying Halo 3 is just the same old series. It's a 6 year old series. Mario, Metroid, Zelda, even Fire Emblem in Japan are old series.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
I don't really understand this post at all to be honest. The Wii does have games that appeal to the hardcore audience..but you refuse to play them?

Basically you're just a graphics *****, which isn't surprising. Because if you didn't judge the game solely by graphics, you'd see that your taste is simply comprised of what makes your eyes glaze over, because really, the Wii has games that meets every single one of your criteria for an epic game..including graphics to a certain degree. I've heard Xbox fanboys say their Wii is collecting dust..but really, they either simply don't care about being proven wrong or just don't pay attention very much.

I'm a hardcore gamer, but why would you define hardcore as Xbox? It's really silly to say a game is epic because a game has stunning graphics.

The Wii has GOTY 2007 easily with Mario Galaxy, I think that much is certain.

PS. Halo 3 is just the same old series
The Wii doesn't have any games to appeal to a GENERAL hardcore audience. You listed games to appeal to Nintendo audiences. Metroid Prime and Metroid Pime 2 were nothing special. Just take a generic FPS, add Metroid, and it sells to Nintendo fans.

And, yea, Halo 3 is the same old series, just like Zelda and Mario.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
And that's just it. The Wii doesn't have enough games that appeal to the hardcore audience. I'm not interested in Metroid Prime 3, Fire Emblem, Battalion Wars or Mario Strikers. They're games that appeal to the strictly Nintendo crowd. It needs more appealing games for people who are picky about their games and don't just want the same old series. It just all comes down to that difference in opinion. I have different taste than you in games, I bought a Wii, there's only a few select titles that I see that I'll end up buying for it. Your list of "epic" titles aren't nearly what I'd define as epic now a days, either. Epic games are the ones that pull you into the game, where the story rivals that of something you'd watch at a movie theater. I've yet to play a Wii game with pacing, audio, graphics and gameplay like that.
Yeah, I totally understand that. Epic definetly isn't the word I wanted to use there.

That said, when I think of an "Epic" game- it's normally from a Nintendo console. Although I used the word loosley last post- there are very few games I would actually dub epic. In fact, this generation- I would only dub Gears of War, Twilight Princess (maybe), and maybe Oblivion as "Epic". Bioshock? No. Halo 3? No. Rainbow Six Vegas? No. Guitar Hero 3 (while one of my favorite games of all time)? No. So, while trying not to stray into console debates- even the 360 doesn't have many games that captivate me emotionally while having good gameplay elements.

For me- if I only bought "Epic" games, and not some just plain good games- I would probably find myself with large chasms between the release dates of one epic game and anther. All the games I listed for the Wii definely are enjoyable to play, IMO- and I feel that the majority of gamers would agree on those terms. I think the main difference between us is what warrents purchase of a game. If a game looks new, interesting, and just plain cheap fun- I'll buy it to keep me busy while waiting for the few epic games that you will buy. This is precisiley why I will probably buy Zack and Wiki, and you would probably never even take a second glance at it. Just a difference in opinions- is all. I'm gonna go edit my last post.

D

Deleted member

Lolllllllllllllllllll

Kay first I stated that specifically Halo 3 is the same old series.

That means that it doesn't differ much from Halo or Halo 2 at all.

I've never said that sequels are inherently boring, that's what you said. It's just major hypocrisy on your part, 's all. Nothing important.

Halo 3's graphics aren't shabby. They're clearly better than anything Wii has right now, in terms of models, textures, effects, etc. Art style would go to something else.
I still see no reason why I shouldn't believe that your opinion doesn't mean much because of your graphics fetish but whatever, continue denying it

The Wii doesn't have any games to appeal to a GENERAL hardcore audience. You listed games to appeal to Nintendo audiences. Metroid Prime and Metroid Pime 2 were nothing special. Just take a generic FPS, add Metroid, and it sells to Nintendo fans.

But this is precisely my point though, because saying Wii has no general hardcore audience games is just simply hypocritical, because I can say Cashed listed games like Halo 3 which appeal to Xbox audiences.

Xbox != Hardcore guys, stop using that word as a substitute

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
I judge games solely on graphics? Oh man. If I did, I sure wouldn't hold Halo 3 so highly. I never stated graphics alone make a game epic, it's a combination of all the things I listed in my previous post.

Nice jab at the end there, too, saying Halo 3 is just the same old series. It's a 6 year old series. Mario, Metroid, Zelda, even Fire Emblem in Japan are old series.
Do you think Halo will ever die? No. In some shape or form, Halo will continue. And you know why it's only been around 6 years? Maybe because that's the lifespan of the Xbox 360.

Im not denying that they overuse the Mario series. They do, and some of the games they produce are trash. But If you're going to call Metroid Prime 3 old, you're going to have to call Halo old as well. The Original Metroids, and the Prime Metroids are two different series. The games are too different to compare.

See, with nintendo, at least they change the experience with each of their games. Look at Galaxies. It's getting higher ratings than almost all of Xbox 360's games. It doesn't have as good as graphics as the Xbox, the story isn't even close to some of the games that Xbox has, yet it's an amazing game.

Just because the game doesn't fit your standards, doesn't mean Nintendo is making games just for Nintendo people.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer

Ok if this turns into a double post I'm sorry, but seriously. A generic First Person Shooter? What about the Xbox 360. Almost all of their "good" games are FPS. GoW, BioShock, Halo 3, COD 4. All of them are FPS. Sounds like it appeals to only one audience.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Just because the game doesn't fit your standards, doesn't mean Nintendo is making games just for Nintendo people.
Isn't that exactly what it means? They have way too many mini-game compliations and not enough games based on realism, combat, and competition, meaning right now, it doesn't appeal to me. There are many games out there like that and they are excluded.

Lonejedi said:
Ok if this turns into a double post I'm sorry, but seriously. A generic First Person Shooter? What about the Xbox 360. Almost all of their "good" games are FPS. GoW, BioShock, Halo 3, COD 4. All of them are FPS. Sounds like it appeals to only one audience.
It's generic in that it's nothing special and nothing new. Take a generic ENGINE + Samus = Nintendo Fanboy circle jerk.

The rest of the games are in no means generic. Bioshock alone is more innovative in gameplay then nearly all Wii games.

And that's just a few games. You ignored the games that appeal to other audiences to prove your point.

D

Deleted member

Agreed jedi..

And guess what? All of those "good" games were hailed for their amazing graphics, save for maybe Halo 3.

GaW..your purchase of Zack and Wiki is definitely a wise one. If Cashed knew any better, he'd buy it too and realize that just because the main character doesn't have a gun, it doesn't make it any worse of a game

Crimson King said:
It's generic in that it's nothing special and nothing new. Take a generic ENGINE + Samus = Nintendo Fanboy circle jerk.
Does that mean that: Not very innovative FPS + Master Chief = Halo 3 and Xbox reacharound?

Crimson King said:
The rest of the games are in no means generic. Bioshock alone is more innovative in gameplay then nearly all Wii games.

And that's just a few games. You ignored the games that appeal to other audiences to prove your point.
I'm surprised that you're even bringing this point up.

Bioshock was innovative? It had really amazing presentation and atmosphere, but you think the gameplay was innovative? Power-ups are old my friend.

Wii Sports, criticized as a E3 Tech Demo, has more innovative gameplay than any other game out there save for other Wii games like WarioWare and Zack and Wiki, where waggle isn't just tacked on, making it impossible for you to play it on another system.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
This is turning into console debates, but Cashed, I think if you listed the games you considered great for the 360, I don't think I would be interested in buying any more of them then you would in buying the Wii games I listed.

So, unless you're suggesting there's more 360centric people than wiicentric people- the Wii doesn't have any more of a problem than the 360 does- if you can understand that.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
This is turning into console debates, but Cashed, I think if you listed the games you considered great for the 360, I don't think I would be interested in buying any more of them then you would in buying the Wii games I listed.

So, unless you're suggesting there's more 360centric people than wiicentric people- the Wii doesn't have any more of a problem than the 360 does- if you can understand that.
Exactly. From here on, any console debate posts will be warned. It's ok for a post or two but after that, take it to the Console Debate.

DeLoRtEd, stop thinking your opinion is gossip. You come off as REALLY pretentious.

Cashed, just stop egging them on, it's enough they vehemently hate us, me especially for buying a PS3, already, no need to push it even more.

lonejedi

W.I.T.T.Y
BRoomer
Ok to prove my point, I took the top rated games from Gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews.htm...&mode=all&sort=score&dlx_type=all&sortdir=asc

Gears of War 9.6 Nov 7, 2006
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 9.6 Mar 24, 2006
The Orange Box 9.5 Oct 10, 2007
Halo 3 9.5 Sep 23, 2007
Forza Motorsport 2 9.2 May 29, 2007
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 9.2 Mar 8, 2006
Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 9.1 Nov 21, 2006
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare 9.0 Nov 6, 2007
Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords 9.0 Oct 11, 2007
BioShock 9.0 Aug 20, 2007
Perfect Dark Zero 9.0 Nov 21, 2005
Guitar Hero II 8.9 Apr 3, 2007
Call of Duty 3 8.8 Nov 8, 2006
Burnout Revenge 8.8 Mar 6, 2006
Dead or Alive 4 8.8 Jan 1, 2006
Project Gotham Racing 3 8.8 Nov 18, 2005
Call of Duty 2 8.8 Nov 15, 2005
Command & Conquer 3 Tiberium Wars 8.7 May 8, 2007
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2 8.7 Mar 8, 2007
Kameo: Elements of Power 8.7 Nov 15, 2005
The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles 8.6 Mar 28, 2007
F.E.A.R.

I highlighted the games that are FPS, correct me if I'm wrong on some of these.

Out of the top 22 games, 13 of them are FPS, that is over half.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
In response to lonejedi, of course Halo won't die. They've just finished up the FPS portion of the story and there's the RTS, Halo Wars on the way next year along with Peter Jackson's Halo project, whatever that turns out to be. I find that really funny too, because I believe you said something along the lines "at least Nintendo changes their games, look at Mario Galaxy" Alright, they added physics to the game, which should be expected out of a modern day title. It's still a platformer, like it's always been. You're still collecting 120 objects. I fail to see how taking the series into an entirely new genre isn't changing the game's formula, but adding physics to an old formula is.

And Mr.GAW, you're right, this is turning into the console debates because there are some of you who have a huge problem with people like me saying that the Wii doesn't have enough games to appeal to the hardcore audience. I can, and will close this topic if you guys don't get your **** together.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
I think a 360 owners idea of a hardcore gamer and that of a Wii owner's conflict. I do consider Mario Galaxy, Battalion Wars, Fire Emblem, and MP3 hardcore.

If Cashed knew any better, he'd buy it too and realize that just because the main character doesn't have a gun, it doesn't make it any worse of a game
Although DeLoRtEd put it bluntly- I do believe this sort of represents your idea of a hardcore game. What else would you consider hardcore? What game where you don't have a gun, that is?

So, if you do consider the previously mentioned games hardcore, I think you'll see that while Wii may be lacking very high quality games, it's not lacking hardcore games, which brings us back from console wars into Wii discussion.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The funniest part about that Mr.GAW, Halo 3 is the only retail game for the 360 I own that has guns in it.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Jesus, do you have ANY freaking games?

I seriously don't understand what other good 360 games there are that don't have guns- save maybe Oblivion and GH3

D

Deleted member

Why don't you give Zack and Wiki a try then, Cashed? You'll love it.

Masterem243

Smash Lord
Hey guys, go to the check Mii out Channel, and search for: 2420-9517-9299. Why can't you just search for the Initials?

Masterem243

Smash Lord
How about this. You show me the Mario by posting it up on the Posting Plaza, and I can see it for myself? Don't worry about me stealing it; because I already posted one for the contest.

Masterem243

Smash Lord
Not only does it boost your Mii colletion, it definitely shows how popular you are as a Mii designer.

I

i8waffles612

wow this channel is actually pretty cool. It actually has a point, rofl. Im gonna be using this once in awhile.

I need to make a mario without a cap!

Masterem243

Smash Lord
You can probably find at least one in the Posting Plaza. Would they take pre-made Miis for the contest? Like ones you imported?

Masterem243

Smash Lord
Yes, it certainly is. The only problem is that there are about 5 Michael Jacksons and Darth Vaders there.

Stryks

Smash Hero
OMG the falcon mii is PURE win, and the goomba is so funny, Im SO gonna start making miis again, I only did for family members... thats about to change...

Hatless mario FTW!

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Seeing some people's Miis is cringe inducing. Apparently any sort of face plus a yellow shirt and yellow baseball hat is Wario. Change the colors respectively to red, green and purple and you also find tons of Marios, Luigis and Waluigis. I have to say though, there are some gems. There was a Wario where someone used the cyan eyeblush and rosy cheeks and it looked much better than the other Warios.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I use Steve Zissou. It's my favorite right now lol. I haven't mucked around with the channel yet but my Wii's drive is pulsing so I guess I should get to that.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Speaking of the disc drive glowing, at first I loved it. Now I hate it. When I wake up in the middle of the night and the thing is making my entire room glow blue, it makes me cranky. In the settings I even selected "No Illumination" or whatever. That, along with how warm the thing gets after being in sleep mode for weeks, causes me to unplug it.

Top Bottom