• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Sensai

Smash Master
I meant in terms of fun, yes. I didn't really mean in immersion, but some of the stories in the SNES's RPGs got me pretty pulled in. But, you're right; it doesn't really do much of anything compared to a full, living and breathing 3D world.

[Edit:]

BTW, for those who don't look on the Virtual Console Thread, Donkey Kong Country and Streets of Rage came out today.

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, you can't really get sucked into the world of link when he's this 32 bit kid who smacks chickens that make beeping sounds instead of clucking.
People tend to think graphics>gameplay. Gameplay, to me, is a lot more important than good graphics. I realize that Gears of War is a good game with gameplay and tons of good graphics but, a lot of other games are put on the PS3 just because they have good graphics. Okay, maybe they have good graphics but who wants to play a game that has no value. This is why I THINK Nintendo is selling better even with their old consoles. They may not have the most detailed graphics on the market but they sure as **** have the gameplay to back it up.

Sensai

Smash Master
Jeah, there was some confusion with DKC. They said they were releasing it, but last I heard, it was MIA.

It's there now, right?

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
People tend to think graphics>gameplay. Gameplay, to me, is a lot more important than good graphics. I realize that Gears of War is a good game with gameplay and tons of good graphics but, a lot of other games are put on the PS3 just because they have good graphics. Okay, maybe they have good graphics but who wants to play a game that has no value. This is why I THINK Nintendo is selling better even with their old consoles. They may not have the most detailed graphics on the market but they sure as **** have the gameplay to back it up.
I never said LttP was not good. I love it. I just can't really get pulled into the very...sparse story and limited graphics. Sure I get sucked into teh fun and gameplay, but I do't really get attatched to the game. And i f I thought graphics were so important I would'v bought a 360 instead of a Wii. I don't own a PS3, I play at a friends house.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Donkey Kong Country is available to download. I have it right now...

Also, some new info on Fire Emblem: The Goddess of Dawn. Someone in Japan managed to get the game two days before it release...spoilers beware.

Fire Emblem: The Goddess of Dawn info (from FESS)

Stryks

Smash Hero
Sonic and the secret rings has been reviewed by IGN, its the best 3d sonic game so far, yet it got a 6.9 I believe, man thats very low, but I agree on the voice acting, sonic has to have the worst voice of all the videogame mascots ive seen, its the same one from the cartoon series and all the voices from the anime suck (at least the english ones, dont know about the japanese)... I think they should totally replace the guy...

Sensai

Smash Master
Oh, there was a video of some 25 (more or less) year old chick playing FE in Japan.

She seemed either REALLY intrigued and brought in, or REALLY bored. I'd look it up, but it wouldn't take much more then a google search from you.

And Rockettrainer, it comes out tomorrow for them. I think.

And 6.9? ****. What did Red Steel get? (looks around) Ah, a 6.0. That makes me feel better, seeing as how I enjoy Red Steel. Here's the actual score breakdown from IGN, quoted verbatim.

7.5 Presentation
Beautiful opening cinematic followed by stylized, but unimpressive story sequences. Lots of great character building elements and mini-games.
8.0 Graphics
Impressive. One of the prettiest Sonic games to date. Surprisingly better-than-GameCube visuals run in 16;9 and 480p. Framerate usually holds up, too.
5.0 Sound
The sound effects are punchy and appropriate, but the cheesy music and voice acting will make you wince.
6.5 Gameplay
Sometimes it's really intense and enjoyable. Other times it's broken and frustrating.
7.0 Lasting Appeal
A healthy single-player game and a big selection of minis, but most of them are throwaways.
Passable OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Agreed that Red Steel rocks. I could pistol headshot my friends all day.

Resturant is by far the best multiplayer map followed by:
Games
Docks
Dojo

IMO

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
And Rockettrainer, it comes out tomorrow for them. I think.
Yeah, I know, the whole time difference and whatnot. The information started pouring in since today. I'm assuming he or she played the game fora couple hours before posting.

Also, for a bit of humor or shall we say (not so) clever marketing, Radio Allergy for Gamecube is Wii-compatible!

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Japan's Nintendo 2007 lineup has been released. Too bad it's like, 99% TBA.

http://www.Kotaku.com/ said:
Fire Emblem February 22nd, One Player

Eyeshield 21: Field no Saikyou Senshi Tachi March 8th, One~Two Players

Super Paper Mario April 19th, One Player

Wii Brain Softening Game April 26th, One~EIght Players

Wii Health Pack Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Disaster, Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Mario Party 8, Sometime 2007, One~Four Players

Project H.A.M.M.E.R. Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Wii Music Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Super Mario Galaxy Sometime 2007, One Player

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Totsugeki Famicom Wars W Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Donkey Kong Taru Jet Race Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Forever Blue Sometime 2007, Players TBA

Mario Strikers Charged Sometime 2007, One~Four Players

Metroid Prime 3 Corruption Sometime 2007, One Player

Animal Corssing Release TBA, Players TBA

Hoshi no Kirby Release TBA, Players TBA
That's a lot of good sounding Nintendo made games for just one year. Hopefully, most of them will be released in the US not too far after.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
actually, nintendo confirmed Animal Crossing and kirby for 07 japan recently(click here).

way too many of those games are "sometime 07" could we try getting a release for something past two months from now? At least a tentative release, even if they push it back, would be nice.

Sensai

Smash Master
Stryks, as far as I can see, no. Which is too bad...oh well.

And what the **** Nintendo? I could understand your strategy before the Wii was released ("We'll tell you more later."), but now that the system's out, you should be telling us when certain things, or at least AROUND when certain things will be arriving.

'Wii Music Sometime 2007, Players TBA'
'Animal Corssing Release TBA, Players TBA'

Besides being THRILLED that Wii Music might actually come out, I'm kind of unsure of something: why is it that some are announced with 'Sometime 2007', while others are just TBA? If it's all for 2007...what gives?

I just want an ETA, y' know? Gimme like 'SSBB, Q3 or Q4.' Maybe even just a little note on progress. "We're doing fine, working on this and that."

Throw us a bone!

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Why is it that Nintendo looks like they went on lockdown? They have names but no information, which worries me. Wouldn't hurt to tell us what season, at the least...

On another note, I remain at my 100% correct predicton record (too bad theres only 5 right now) and Streets of Rage is awesome.

Stryks

Smash Hero
But cmon, were constantly itching our heads and pretty mcuh predicting the release date for so many games, can they at least give us more trailers/info on the game, u have NO idea how many times ive seen both SSBB trailers, I just want SOME info, like a new character, stage, supers whatever... and yet nothing...

Im hoping the release info at the GDC...

Sensai

Smash Master
FireBomb, I'm unsure what [On another note, I remain at my 100% correct predicton record (too bad theres only 5 right now)...] means. Care to explain?

Commonyoshi, I understand that Nintendo's like this. Well, I know that they were like this before the Wii came out, which, like I said earlier, is understandable. But to be unwilling (or worse: unable) to give information, if not but a LITTLE is a bad sign. Or a sign of impatience on my part...

And I'm hoping that GDC reveals something also. Cashed said it was during the first week of March...but what dates specifically?

Ah, I figured out what game they were referring to (the one that was 'in direct competition' with CoD3). It's Medal of Honor. Here's the link to the hands-on impression, for anyone who's interested.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/766/766566p1.html

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Sensai, I can understand your frustration. But to be honest, when has Nintendo ever been open and forthcoming about any of their games/consoles? I can't remember a single time when Nintendo has set a reliable release date for a AAA title, and nor can I remember a time when Nintendo has answered tons of questions at one go.

They've always preferred to hold their cards close to the vest, and be stingy when it came to releasing info in general. That's just the way they are. I've learned to deal with it by avoiding all mentions of release dates altogether, and focusing on other subject matters entirely so I don't think about when awesome games like MP3 or SSBB come out. >_>

Sensai

Smash Master
....I cannot simply not think about Brawl's future....

Haha. It doesn't really bother me terribly, I just wish that they would give us even just a LITTLE bit more of a trickle.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
If we dont get any news at GDC, when would we get more news? The new E3?

Sensai

Smash Master
I guess it would have to be the next E3...although, that's assuming they wanna show it at an event of some sort.

When is the new E3, anyways?

And when is TGS? For some reason, I heard someone talking about it recently and it made me think it was soon....

Ok, new E3 is July 11-13.

It seems TGS is in September. I have no idea where I heard it was sometime soon...

GDC is from the 5th to the 9th. That's good news...about a week and a half or so.

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Ya, but...Nintendo's never been at TGS (at least not recently...) They could spring a Nintendo/Space World type deal on us since Space World (weird name) was in August though Nintendo World was in November...

Also, (and I mentioned this in the General Brawl forums) I like how SSBB has a Players TBA thing...:p

Zink

Smash Champion
Wow, MoH looks nice. I'm thinking they're pretty close to the ideal Wii FPS control set. I'm hoping for less D-pad and more gestures in the final product, but I guess that can wait for a game with online multiplayer.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Fire Emblem Goddess Of Dawn SPOILERS********
(Highlight to read)
There will be transferable data/extras from the gamecube PoR, and many characters from PoR will be returning. The most recognized being Ike and the Black Knight.

Hopefully this will increase chances of FE characters in Brawl.

And wtf at no motion control. This game was designed for the Wiimote.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/767/767088p1.html

Sensai

Smash Master
GAW, I agree with you and am happy to see that about PoR. I guess I should go back and beat that game...

Also, this is taken directly from Matt Casamassina's blog on IGN. This guy's up there and knows what he's talking about, so I figured anything he says is good news or bad news, right? Well, check it out.

Matt Casamassina said:
There are some potentially crazy-awesome games coming down the pipeline for Wii, by the way. You guys have no idea. I know that's vague -- has to be, but I've seen some stuff that you simply have no idea even exists and frankly, if you did, you'd flip out. Comments like these have a way of backfiring on me and i'm sure some people will be annoyed that I've even brought up, since I'm unable to give even a hint about the projects in question. Others will undoubtedly say that I'm merely making crap up because there's no way anybody can disprove statements that are intentionally so unrevealing. But whatev. I know that if I was in your position, I'd be happy just to know that some very cool, unexpected stuff is brewing somewhere way behind-the-scenes. I swear, when this stuff finally shows up, I'll let you know that I blogged about it way back when. In the meantime, this is probably good material for the IGN Wii message boards.

Next week should be fun. We've got some companies stopping by to show us some Wii games. We'll be announcing a new project or two during the week. Nothing earth-shattering-major, so don't hype yourselves up, but kind of neat all the same. And if we can ever actually play them, games like SSX will be reviewed. By the way, EA never announced its new Wii project, did it? That must be forthcoming, too.

I drive back Sunday, pick up Bozon, and then the two of us make the five-hour trek to San Francisco for the Game Developers Conference. Miyamoto's going to be there. Aonuma. Kondo. Suda 51. And a bunch of other Nintendo peeps and third party devs. I'm expecting the full launch of the Wii Game Demo Channel. I don't know if that's what it's called, but it's the original game equivalent to Virtual Console titles. These are new projects developed for Wii, but downloadable. Do I really need to go on? You know what I'm talking about. I also think Nintendo will go seriously aggressive -- big, big, big -- about supporting and encouraging third parties to go crazy making new "garage" style games for Wii. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Nice find Sensai, I normally check up on Bozon and Casamassina's blog, so I guess you beat me too it. I'm thinking this maybe connected to that Wii-k in Review they did with Jessica Chobot.

Maybe this means a good online system?
Maybe it just means some really good games, but either way I'm excited. From the sounds of it though, we might not know what this stuff is till E3.

Stryks

Smash Hero
I bet hes talking about MP3s multiplayer and probably online, something that we were told they wouldnt not implement on MP3 at 1st, but then were reconsidering...

And if not I bet its a 1st party game, cause he wouldnt be all hype dup about those projects and such, so Im hoping for a good kick *** title soon, cause thanx to the sonic review I changed my mind about buying the secret rings, and Im itchin for a new game soon...

Sensai

Smash Master
I honestly have no idea what he's talking about, except for a new EA title. I'm not a huge fan of EA, but I guess I can deal with 'em so long as Nintendo's getting more support...

And I figured out the other day exactly (read: that's a lie) what the Everybody Votes channel is used for. It could be being used as a way to measure early online. The voting is the 'handshaking' between Nintendo servers and consoles, making sure that they can connect and handle that amount of traffic.

Cool.

I'm watching an episode of Game Head at around the time of DICE, and there's an interview with Reggie. Pretty much same old PR stuff, but he does comment on that he's seen the latest Metroid build, which, as he says, looks fabulous.

Then they go on to talk about some people (us) fearing that Brawl, Galaxy, and MP3 won't all be released in '07, as Nintendo has said they would. When asked if the games could POSSIBLY not ship in '07, Reggie says that he thinks the risk of that is 'very very small.'

Figured I'd let you guys know. Anything else he says, I'll post back.

Nothing at all news-esque. But hilarious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R98qC0fd_1w&eurl=

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
OK, so, seriously, WTF?

I finally get my Wii on a wireless connection, so I go to update the system, yah?

Yea, it sat, "updating," for about 5 freakin' hours!!!

WTF is up with that? And after all that waiting, it the bar had been stuck at 1/3 across for the last 2 hours of that, at least!

What the heck is up with that?
Is that just my connection?
It is slow, I'll grant it that, but still!

And in said case, what the heck am I supposed to do??

I wound up un-plugging the system because it didn't seem to have been doing a thing for hours, and when I re-booted, it didn't seem to want to boot up the Wii system menu (go figure) so I can to unplug it again and go to the forecast channel to access the update button, so now it's trying to "update" again.

I'm gonna leave it to do that for the next, oh, probably 5-7 hours, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's not gonna do a bloody thing.

Anybody know what is wrong, or what I'm supposed to do when this happens?

Stryks

Smash Hero
Destiny smasher I too had the same problem, It took me 4ever to update my wii, and it wouldnt update, it gfot stuck around halfway, and yeah I had to unplug the wii, what u should do, is do a number of connection tests, do a number of connection tests, if the connection test is succesful in every try, after the 4th connection test update the wii, its what I did and I got all my channels XD...

Top Bottom