• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

primusfan

Smash Ace
^^^I have rented Call of Duty 3 (I still have it), while I can say the gameplay graphics are pretty mediocre for a new game system (the cinema graphics are great though), the game is really fun. If you like FPS war games, Call of Duty 3 is definitely worth a try.

Sensai

Smash Master
From what I've heard (a friend has it), Call of Duty 3 for the Wii is great.

Paranoid Android said:
While Smash Bros does pwn all but a few deserving multiplayer games, I don't think Smash can fill the online roll like Halo has. The reason is that a fighting game demands even less lag than an FPS, and because Smash is just more fun to play in groups, while an FPS is much better with your own TV screen. Wii basically needs a Halo rip-off. It can be a different time. A different theme. But it needs to have the core elements that have made Halo a success. That is: A good online interface, available patches, and a decent game. (By the way, by decent game, I mean the opposite of Red Steel, whose lack of weapons, levels, or anything interesting at all strikes me as absolutely astounding.)
The thing that made Halo was the young kids who had obviously never played a real FPS by the name of CounterStrike.

But I know what you mean, regardless. I think MP3 or RS2 (if that comes out quickly....and given the pace of RS, it will) could easily do this.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
The thing that made Halo was the young kids who had obviously never played a real FPS by the name of CounterStrike.
Or it was the extremely fun gameplay, especially when playing Capture the Flag on Blood Gulch with 15 friends. Saying Halo isn't a real FPS is ********.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Say, did anyone get the 3rd Wii update today? It's not much: it just fixes a few internet related things, and update the parental controls.

Now, instead of my Wii freezing when I access the Wii Shop Channel, it says "unable to connect to server" and gives me an error code. Luckily, I know my Wii is completely fine; dial-up just can't handle the Wii Shop Channel.

Halo rip-off, you say? Nintendo had one (at least, in terms of multi-player), it was called "Star Fox Assault"....sadly though, the main game wasn't the greatest, and the multiplayer didn't even support LAN player. I truly believe, however, that if it were an online title, it would have done quite well. Yeah, I know SF: Assault wasn't a first person shoot, but it was a darn good 3rd person shooter.

Sensai

Smash Master
Excuse me Cashed. I didn't mean the word 'real' in the real sense (pun most certainly intended).

And I still think that the only reason Halo was considered good was because the Xbox at that time had nothing else going for it. So, all the kids who had Xboxs, probably because their parents saw 'Microsoft' and thought that it must be good so they purchased it, finally had something to play.

But, I will admit: sitting around and having a huge Halo fest with friends was fun so long as it held my interest. After a while though, things just got fairly easy with the pistol being so godly (I love that pistol, seriously. One thing that I really like about that game), so I'd start exploding myself with grenades and testing the physics of the game.

Or playing with only have the controller while another friend played with the other half. That's my favorite.

Back to the point of my post: Halo, while being an FPS (and for a console, a passable one), is not/was not worth the hype. Especially not with my copy of CS waiting for me and all my friends owning that already.

[Edit:]

Sorry P, I forgot to respond. Haha.

No, I didn't see the update. I guess I'll go star the DL after my dad finishes his Zelda session...

Also: are there patch notes to be found for the Wii updates? If so, where?

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
I don't believe so; the only thing we know is that it updates the Parental Controls (because it tells you this), and updates the Wii Shop Channel (us 56Kers figured that one out :p).

Please, don't call me "P", "Fox", or "Fox McCloud" will do just fine ;)

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
So, here's a question: when I get my Wii, if I plan on using it for parties with other fellow gamers (and some non-gamers) would Bomberman 93 be a good choice?

It's 6 bucks, it allows for 5 players to play at once, (I can use my Wiimote and every else can use GCN controllers, correct?) and it sounds like it has some fun and simple and easy to get into gameplay.

Would you suggest I download it after I finally manage to get a Wii? *crosses fingers for Saturday when he goes to the Nintendo World Store or Toys R' Us in NYC*

Nite

Smash Champion
I really wanted to get Call of Duty 3 for the Wii, but I couldn't cope with the fact that it doesn't have a multiplayer function. That's just stupid to me. A FPS with no multiplayer? That's just uncool.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I've heard good things about Bombrman from a friend. He and his brother play it "nonstop."(so he claims) Here's a real review.

digitalkll of GameGaqs said:
"Bombs away!!"
Bomberman '93
Black Bomberman has stolen the power generators to the galaxy's own power station, and hidden them between seven planets, it is up to White Bomberman to restore power to the station and bring peace to the planets again and capture black bomberman and bring him to justice. The objective is the same as in the first Bomberman game, use bombs to destroy all enemies. Once you have made your way throughout each level destroy the boss that is guarding each of the power generators and transport yourself to the next planet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Graphics
Bomberman graphics are just simple, cute and colourful. The bosses are imaginative, fairly large and quite well animated. Basically everything just does the job with not that much frills.

6/10

Sound
OK this is my favourite part! The BGM in this game is some of the best heard throughout the PC Engine Bomberman games. There's a lot of variety in there from remixes of the original music to Egyptian themes all in Stereo sound (hey this was back then in 1993 you know)!! If you can hook your PC Engine to a decent amplifier and have a nice decent set of headphones Bomberman has some nice suitable bass in its explosions and the sound chip can produced some really nice deep base tones in Bomberman '93 's bgm. The sampled drums are awesome too; music really helps you go along through the many stages.

10/10

Game play
Ok you got your basic story mode. Hectic 5 player battles, battles between handheld to handheld and a password feature, or save feature (if you got suitable media for back up). Power-ups include more bombs, manual detonation, extra lives, and extended flames. Occasionally, you also get the ability to walk through bombs or walls, or to kick bombs. If you accidentally blow up the exit, whether it is active or not, or if time runs out, you will unleash new enemies that you also need to destroy.

Hudsonsoft have added stuff to keep things interesting like conveyor belts, gates, warps, tiles that stop you placing bombs placed on them. Some of the boss fights are really hard in this!

9/10
-----------------------
Overall Hudsonsoft has made a fantastic bomberman game, personally I think this is the best one simply because the music is just really awesome to listen to and its definitely worth owning in your games collection. In one player story mode the game starts of slow but as you eventually get more power ups and become stronger the levels become more hazardous, but bomberman has always been a multi player party game and this is where the fun is at!

9/10

Reviewer's Score: 9/10, Originally Posted: 03/20/06

Bedi Vegeta

Smash Master
Issues that the Wii has, and should be addressed, if there's ever Wii 2.0:

1) Make the speaker on the Wiimote better. Please. The sound quality is awful.
2) Make the Classic Controller truly wireless, instead of having us plug in into the Wiimote and letting it dangle like a. . .well, you get the idea.
3) Give us rechargeable batteries for the Wiimotes, or give us death. Preferably, the former.
4) Give us a music player for the Wii Channels--we can play custom music in games only? What's up with that?
5) Make the nunchuck slightly heavier. It's so light now, that I fear I might accidentally break it if I sneeze.

Small issues, I know, but they're legitimate ones that I think are important nonetheless.

And speaking of the Wii, did anyone watch Today on NBC this morning? Al Roker stopped by Nintendo World Store, and the line at 8 AM was the length of the entire block. Some people went as early as 3 AM just to get in line. I'm flabbergasted that demand has remained this high, especially this late into the launch. Craziness.

It makes me feel better, since now it seems like my 13 hour launch-day wait in Times Square was completely justified. :chuckle:
You may well be in luck. Nintendo has already confirmed that they will be releasing a Wii system capable of DVD playback sometime next year. Perhaps they will add more than that.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Yes. In Japan.

They've also confirmed its a no-go in the U.S., at least for next year, and if it happens at all.

Anyone remember the DVD playing GC? No? That's because it was Japan only.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Vulpine, you're right. I guess I skimmed you post at the end. It looked like you said the "suprise" would be something unusual. If only I had read the word 'forthcoming'...

So, I'm playing Zelda and I feel like the controls are kinda' just there. With games like Wii Sports and Monkeyball the're fun because of the controller. With Zelda the game is fun but it wouldn't be any less fun with a standard controller.

The controls don't take away from the game but they don't add anything either. Does anyone else feel this way?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I don't believe so; the only thing we know is that it updates the Parental Controls (because it tells you this), and updates the Wii Shop Channel (us 56Kers figured that one out :p).
The update also prevents hacking that allowed people to use the Shop Channel as an Internet browser. It was quite interesting, but the Shop Channel music would keep playing while surfing the web...
So, here's a question: when I get my Wii, if I plan on using it for parties with other fellow gamers (and some non-gamers) would Bomberman 93 be a good choice?

It's 6 bucks, it allows for 5 players to play at once, (I can use my Wiimote and every else can use GCN controllers, correct?) and it sounds like it has some fun and simple and easy to get into gameplay.
I would recommend it if you can find a group of people. It's a great multiplayer game, and you can't help but feel nostalgic playing Bomberman old-school style. :)
You can use a combination of Wii Remotes/Classic Controllers and Gamecube controllers. Just be sure you hook up the Gamecube controllers into the right ports.

Also: are there patch notes to be found for the Wii updates? If so, where?
I don't think there are any patch notes available to the public. It seems the first two initial updates on launch day allowed SD card use and opened up the Shop Channel. The latest update allowed Parental Controls for the Shop Channel and prevents hacking of the Shop Channel to be used as a Web Browser. Other than that, there really isn't much to go on in terms of exact changes...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Zelda was fine as it is, I guess we're still getting used to the controller. Using the pointer for the arrows and other such items is cool and all, but it's still Zelda. I keep getting all my buttons confused still. I open the equipment menu when I want to change my tunic, and vice versa. I also tend to mix up all my items with the D-pad. It's not taking away, I'll get used to it, but yeah it does seem like the controls just kinda got there.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
The update also prevents hacking that allowed people to use the Shop Channel as an Internet browser. It was quite interesting, but the Shop Channel music would keep playing while surfing the web...
Whoah, how could you do that? What were the results?

Yes. In Japan.

They've also confirmed its a no-go in the U.S., at least for next year, and if it happens at all.

Anyone remember the DVD playing GC? No? That's because it was Japan only.
Well, it wasn't a Nintendo Gamecube, per se'; it was a Panasonic Q. Yeah, yeah, Gamecube guts, but still. Evidentally, it had a really high quality DVD player too...it's a shame that it didn't come to the US of A, it was more stylish than any of Gamecubes. Heck, even the controller was different. (they even made a special game-boy player accessory that fit only The Panasonic Q).

I always wanted one, but the prices drove me away ($500-$600). Now they're much cheaper, but...there's really no need.

Sensai

Smash Master
Sorry Fox.

And I have no idea about Bomberman...no idea at all. Wii Sports has done magic for me, so I see no reason for another party game ATM (save Monkey Ball, which is great).

Osco316

Mic_128
BRoomer
A crummy world of plot holes and spelling errors
I played Wii for the first real time yesterday (I had played it once before at a Gamestop but the sensor thing wasn't working, so that doesn't count). I went over to a friend's house with 3 other guys and we took turns playing Wii Sports (He only had one controller, according to him they were sold out everywhere). Even though we had to switch off it was one of the most fun times I've had playing. I can truly see this as a party system, especially since they have a Monkey Ball out as well (I loved Monkey Ball 1 and 2 for GCN). It was too bad he didn't have Zelda, since I wanted to try that out.

It took me a little bit to get used to how the sensor worked (especially for golf, I was terrible at that), but once I did it was a great time. My favorites from the game were Boxing and Tennis, and I can see four-player tennis as being incredibly intense.

This really makes me want a Wii.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Ok, the Wii will be the first system i've ever hooked up to the internet. So just to be perfectly clear, the connection has to be wireless right?

primusfan

Smash Ace
Yeah, i'm gonna try to get a wireless connection soon. I don't have the cash right now. I didn't even have the money to buy any games with the Wii (I bought a 2 year warranty to go with it). I've been playing nothing but Wii Sports and I have Call of Duty 3 rented right now.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
Chred2AKrisp, did you make that sig yourself? If so, you might want to think about reducing the opacity of the lens flare. What you want to do for background lighting is to make a whole new layer, fill it black with the paint bucket, make a lens flare render, and set the layer to screen. It makes the lighting better and a lot more subtle.

Plus, try to use Color Balance/Brightness-Contrast/Hue-Saturation adjusted layers to modify the color of the stock (Flaco) to make it blend better with the background. And for the background, you can usually vary it up a bit in terms of pattern and/or color using brushes on multiple layers instead of filter stuff.

I'd suggest even changing the angle of the background; i.e. rotating it 90 degrees counterclockwise so that the direction of the background matches the angle of Flaco's body to make a better sense of flow--like, continuity between the background and the stock.

And to be slightly on topic, the controls for Zelda really do feel tacked on. Like someone else said, it doesn't really add anything, and doesn't really take anything away. Although personally, what I do to make Zelda more interesting, is I actually do different motions for different sword swipes--when I do a forward thrust, I'll thrust the Wiimote forward, when I do a vertical slash, I'll do a downwards movement with the Wiimote, etc. It's not necessary, but I just do it to make myself more immersed. :ohwell:

Zootematix

Artist formally known as ToadBanjoConker
BRoomer
Okay, I have a stupid question, but I need some help. Is the disc slot on the Wii supposed to glow blue? Cause mine only flashes blue when I insert a disc/turn on my system.

Help!

Sensai

Smash Master
Right, Primus. And there is some type of USB thing that allows for wireless internet something or another...I know next to nothing about it, but that's fine.

Uh....regarding Zelda controls: I'm not sure I agree about it 'not adding' anything. It's most certainly been tacked on, as you have been saying, but it most certainly adds a level of immersion to the game with the actual swinging (sorta) and the speaker in the controller.

The aiming is an improvement too. Deny it!

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
The controls don't take away from the game but they don't add anything either. Does anyone else feel this way?
Comparing the Wii controls to controls of past Zelda games, I can say that I prefer the old controls. (Edit: change my mind. this is better. however...)I dont like how you need to assign the item to the B button instead of simply pressing one of the control pad buttons. I dont like the lack of the C-stick camera. I dont like how the game makes you point the Wii-mote at the TV to use items like the slingshot. These are just little things, but yeah...

There are some upsides to the new controller. Z-targeting is a lot smoother. Speaker is good, I guess. The + and - buttons make the menus slightly better.
(I bought a 2 year warranty to go with it)
>_<
As i've said before, graphics don't make a game. But i'm just curious; how are the graphics in Twilight Princess?
Best GC graphics I've ever seen. I haven't actually played some other Wii games for a good comparison.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
They're GameCube graphics... Really good, polished GCN graphics, but still, GameCube graphics.

As for the controls, they don't feel tacked on to me. It definitely adds a layer to the game: Maybe the random wiggling of the Wiimote isn't that great, but thrusting the Nunchuck forward to shield bash is awesome, and the aim is so intuitive. Not to mention you can make your fairy fly over the screen.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
How do you change the channel for your USB connector? I can connect fine but I want to see if I can connect more quickly if I change it.

Zink

Smash Champion
No idea, prolly Nin Support or your ISP can help you, though.
I think TP's graphics were a cut above GCN graphics, because it has a lot more little things like bloom effects and nice water that you just can't get on the GCN. It's a noticable difference.
I liked the controls. It feels far better to use the bow with the Wiimote! Perfectly intuitive and very easy. It makes you feel like a sniper :)

applejack

Smash Journeyman
When climbing the vines or swimming or just doing something boring I just wave the fairy around the screen circling Link. It helps make the boring parts less boring.

On horseback combat I often find myself shaking my Wiimote madly tring to hit something, but other than that the controls are good.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Well, I don't how exactly the Wii Shop Channel was hacked to be used as a Web Browser, but here's a vid to show the end product. If I remember correctly, it had something to do with messing with the DNS settings or something...doesn't matter anymore since the patch prevents this.

I know it's old, but multiple trailers for the Wario Ware Smooth Moves have been released. I especially like the one that features classic Nintendo microgames.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Yeah...I'm glad the original Star Fox got a reference! Still, the graphics and sound are pretty bad. Ah well, I don't really care, at least it got in there.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm looking forward to WarioWare actually...it'll probably be the next game that I (as in myself, not parents) buy.

Nite

Smash Champion
There were a couple new Virtual Console games added recently. I checked the Wii shop channel earlier and the newest additions are: Ecco, the Dolphin; Golden Axe (YES!); and Super Star Soldier.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

Mhmm. It also looks like they're finally standardizing things and releasing VC games on Mondays (FINALLY! Something to make Monday worth it all!).

Anyways, the ones this week are:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Donkey Kong Jr. (500 Wii points - NES)
Victory Run (600 points - TG-16)
Columns (800 points - Genesis)
Ristar (800 points - Genesis)

Top Bottom