• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Lucas The Lefty

Smash Apprentice
yeah, its actually a 512mb flashdrive that's in the wii, also the controlers have 4k memory in them which lets you save up to 10 mii's on it, probably more stuff eventually. while waiting on line for the wii i bet the third kid a dollar about the memory in both, i got the dollar.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
See I wasnt sure whether it was 518 or not. Well, I was only off by a few mbs. Nice job on the dollar bet though. I won a bet like that today.

found some intresting wii photos

above is the ATI "hollywood" graphics chip(larger) and the IBM "broadway" processor

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Ahh, good old component.

If you have the ports for a component cables (red blue green +audio left and right) that doesn't mean you can take advantage of them. Many CRTs 27" and below have component inputs, but they still only support 480i. In order to enjoy the full capabilities of the Wii and the component cable, you will have to play on an EDTV (very very hard to find), or and HDTV.

Just remember, if you play your Wii on a big screen TV, things may not be entire focused...most Plasma and LCD's have a native resolution which they display at (anything else looks a little icky). Anyway, your best is to use the component cables on a HDTV CRT..most of those have no native resolution (infinite resolution). If, however, there ever is a Wii firmware upgrade that supports 720p or 1080i, then it shouldn't look terrible on LCD or Plasma (though you still can't beat CRT's picture quality).

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Hazzah! I got my Wii, and I didn't have to wait overnight like Primus did. :p I'm definately doing that again the next time around. The people in line with me were all really nice. #43 out of 51. woot

Is the LED supposed to stay on full time? It looks so cool, and yet mine only blinks on when I start up the system. I heard it also starts when you get something over Wiiconnect24, but I don't have anyone's Wii code yet, so I haven't tested it.
I coulda sworn I saw an option to turn it on full time... :/

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Is there anyway to turn the sound off from your controller?

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
actually there is a way i saw somewhere you can turn down the volume maybe when you are at the pause menu and you go to the wiimote settings .

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
At any time, you press the home button on the controller. A screen should pop up. Go to the bottom of this screen and select for Wiimote settings. Lower volume.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Nope, we all assumed that. You can just about guess how many people at Nintendo are getting bugged because of that "problem" (read the freaking manual..it says when it comes on in there!).

FireBomb

Smash Lord
The way things are, there will need to be a manual that tells you how to read a manual.

Either that, or Nintendo makes all manuals springloaded so they jump out of their boxes, demanding attention.

linkapprentice

Smash Apprentice
LOL I saw that recently. It gives me some ideas to make a brighter intensity replacement sensor bar - just get two candles XD

So the sensor bar isn't really a sensor bar. Just two IR LEDs that triangulate the Wiimote's position in 3D space. And all the work is done by the controller and the Wii. Maybe that's why Nintendo had some trouble in R n D with IR sources and getting the Wiimote to detect the sensor bar for a while.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
yes, it's infrared, but I'm fairly certain it functions as more than just a "flashlight". Still, if you want to test your theory, get out a couple of really bright LED flashlights and put them on either side of your TV.

If it works, well, I was wrong...if it doesn't, well, chances are there's something a little more complex involved.

Own3dGuerO

Smash Apprentice
Agh i found out I'm getting a Wii for christmas.

They were all soldout at Target today.
They had a demo one and it was ridiculously tiny.

I think I'm also getting some Controller Gloves?!

Idk they look cool.
=P

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've seen those; believe it or not, they're made by Nintendo themselves.

Also, I think they glow in the dark.

anyway, Nintendo also has a little docking station that's pretty neat: it has 4 cut-outs for your Wiimotes, a place to put the console itself (vertically displayed, of course), and a little tray for your memory and SD cards, along with your Nunchuks. It also comes with a 512 meg SD card. Really, it's a pretty interesting little pack (it costs around $50).

Own3dGuerO

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've seen those; believe it or not, they're made by Nintendo themselves.

Also, I think they glow in the dark.

anyway, Nintendo also has a little docking station that's pretty neat: it has 4 cut-outs for your Wiimotes, a place to put the console itself (vertically displayed, of course), and a little tray for your memory and SD cards, along with your Nunchuks. It also comes with a 512 meg SD card. Really, it's a pretty interesting little pack (it costs around $50).
Glow in the dark?
Hah I saw a blue and green controller glove.
They were see-through kind of.

$50 for all that?

Not bad I'm pretty sure I can add that on since the Wii is only $250 =]

Own3dGuerO

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know any stores that are getting them in stock again? Any information is appreciated! for a loser like me...
Well like I said earlier...

I talked to the TARGET Electronic Department earlier today.
They said they're getting a shipment this week.
So look for target to have some very soon.

Sensai

Smash Master
All the stores around Mii that carry them said they wiill be getting some wiikly shipment of Wiis.

Jeah, I wiint there.

Seriously though, I doubt it'll be hard to find 'em around December 3-13th. Everyone's settling down from Thanksgiving, but not yet thinking of Xmas shopping.

Oh, and here's some actual news. Given, it's not for the US. It's for Japan, meaning take these dates and add 1.5 billion years.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/747/747663p1.html

Oh...actually, that says launch day.

****IN' JAPANESE PEOPLE!

[Edit:]

I'm sure everyone knows this too, but the English version of the Brawl trailer has been released. In case you haven't seen it, or want to see it again:
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html

Own3dGuerO

Smash Apprentice
All the stores around Mii that carry them said they wiill be getting some wiikly shipment of Wiis.

Jeah, I wiint there.

Seriously though, I doubt it'll be hard to find 'em around December 3-13th. Everyone's settling down from Thanksgiving, but not yet thinking of Xmas shopping.

Oh, and here's some actual news. Given, it's not for the US. It's for Japan, meaning take these dates and add 1.5 billion years.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/747/747663p1.html

Oh...actually, that says launch day.

****IN' JAPANESE PEOPLE!

I'm sure everyone knows this too, but the English version of the Brawl trailer has been released. In case you haven't seen it, or want to see it again:
http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748545/vids_1.html
Yeah I'll be getting mine in about 2 weeks.
Chirstmas Shoppping for Wiis is gonna be such a pandamoniom.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Do you have to have access to the internet to recieve messages from other mii's? I'm not sure as I do not have my Wii connected to the internet yet.

Also, the connection does have to wireless right? That's the reason I can't get online.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
There is a smashboards connected thread for the wii numbers....

its stickied....

HOW DID YOU MISS IT>.<

neways, i'm adding both of you, my Wii number is in my profile.

Sensai

Smash Master
Blast it. I'm always getting infractioned, if that's a word.

Anyways, my number is labled under my sig. It's also all over the Smashboards Connected Thread.

If you add me, PM me.

Snap

Smash Ace
QUESTION:

what happens when you add somebody? does it let you guys play each other or something? maybe add points to some reputation? what does it do! what point is there to add? let me know

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^

At this point and time? The only benefits are that you won't have to do it later, you recieve mail from him, and also you occasionally recieve Miis.

That's about it.

Oh, and here's one more bit o' news.

Elebits and WiiConnect24 (it's Joystiq, be warned):
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/11/27/elebits-one-of-first-few-titles-to-leverage-wiiconnect24/

And here's something funny that I found perusing the Internets. Take a look, but it's not news in the least:
http://blogs.theage.com.au/screenplay/archives/004378.html

God...that link's hilarious. If you have the time, you should seriously read through. Excerpt:

Why should consumers choose your next-gen console over your competitors?

Nintendo: We have no competitors. We're solely focused on capturing new consumers, like ethnically diverse groups of groovy 30-somethings and pensioners who are sick of trying to yell "Blue!" into their DS.

Sony: Let me say first of all that Nintendo is ace. We respect them. In fact, we respect them so much we often borrow their ideas. Wii will actually be a bit of a laugh, but those graphics are a bit embarrassing, hey? And as for Microsoft, they truly suck.

Microsoft: Let me just say that we really admire Nintendo. In fact, we admire them so much we paid $375 million for one of their key developers. Boy, was that a mistake! Anyway, if you do buy a Wii, please buy a 360 as well. You can't play Halo on a Wii, now can you? And as for Sony, they truly suck.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Hurray for Australian journalism. Except for the grammatical errors >_>. Also, I just saw the first advertisement for the Wii on Australian tv. Fantastically, it was during the OC, one of the highest rating shows in Australia.

^_^

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yea, that "interview" was amusing...

Can't wait to get my Wii.
Areyou guys so sure they'll really be that easy to get?
I sure hope so, I really want one and haven't been able to find any yet--and I'm not in the mood (nor do I have the capability) to camp out somewhere.

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
forblaze71 said:
Also, I just saw the first advertisement for the Wii on Australian tv. Fantastically, it was during the OC, one of the highest rating shows in Australia.
You know, the OC used to be good during season 1, but after that, it all went downhill. Blatant attempts at male fanservice (Marissa turning temporarily lesbian and making out with other hot chicks), a complete lack of actual progression (major problems are miraculously resolved in 1 episode), and really awful story arcs just completely ruined the show. Now that Marissa's gone and replaced by her less-attractive and completely uninteresting sister, the whole Ryan-Marissa dynamic's gone to ****. Great job, Fox.

. . .yeah, so I used to watch the OC consistently.

Anyways, I'm completely confused as to what Nintendo's doing with the US's Virtual Console lineup. We get ZERO Mario games, half of the incredible SNES on the Japanese list (namely LttP) are absent from ours. . .what the heck is NOA doing?

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
an update: well, fellow 56Kers, the problem has, indeed, been solved with the Wii Shop Channel.

Today I took my Wii over to a person's house who has broadband (along with my router). I did not change a single thing on my routers settings (same channel, same WEP, same SSID, etc). I set everything up, and set up a new connection on the Wii...then I did a connection test: successful. Ok, big whoop, now comes the test:

I went into the Wii Shop Channel, everything, of course, loaded faster. Then comes the screen where I enter the information, I enter it in, then click enter....*gasp*! Not much to my amazement, everything loaded, and I could access the Wii Shop Channel! Yay. The downside? I'm back at my home residence where 56K is king >_>; Now, it locks up first "connecting" screen (where you can move your cursor around). I suspect it's locking up earlier now because the Wii (and Nintendo's website) remembers my Wii and it's setting and input information, so I don't have to enter it in a second time..thus it tries to just go right to the Wii Shop, where it gets stopped cold....

Problem solved my fellow 56Kers, the results are finally in: you're screwed. Unless Nintendo comes out with a firmware upgrade, or changes a number of settings on their sever, we 56Kers are locked out of the Wii shop.

What would be interesting to see, is if ISDN could handle the Wii Shop (I have my doubts on this too).

Sensai

Smash Master
I thought it'd be fairly easy to get a Wii on day after launch. Shows what I know...even Nintendo is surprised at how they're selling.

Hell, my English teacher wants one.

And also...I would love to know what Nintendo's doing with the VC.

Top Bottom