• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm having fun with most games so far. Excite Truck is kind of blah and I won't even touch Red Steel but everything else is good. The only thing I'm worried about right now is the release list for the coming months, it looks a little gamecube-ish. I'll probably continue to buy games for the PS2 while pining for a 360 or PS3.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Well, i'm going to pick up a Wii from BestBuy tonight!

I was at a local gaming cafe and my friend brought his Wii. I could play Wii Sports for hours. I also played Excite Truck....not as great.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I finally unwrapped my copy of Red Steel. What monsters of foul gameplay, graphics, and control would leap out at me?

Suprisingly, none. I have only two complaints thus far. Obivously, the controls. They are a problem in the turning aspect...however they're not nearly as much of a problem as people make them out to be. The lock on feature helps ALOT. And before you hard core FPS fans start hisssing and booing, its not lockon in the sense that you can't miss. It means that the person is locked at your center of vision. However, you can still aim freely within tyour vision range. SO you can be looking at one person, but if another guy pops out, you can quickly aim to take care of him and then get back to the problem at hand. You still have to aim, so its not cheap at all.

My other annoyance is actually becoming a plus. I didn't like the between mission comicbook like frozen images, but know I think it gives the game a unique sort of feel and i kind of like it. The sound for this game is incredible.

Opening doors, throwing grenades, reloading, picking up weapons...its all so intuitive and it fits like a glove.

Overall, if i was doing the reviewing I'd give this game aty least a 7.5/10 for the masses, 8.5 for my personal feelings.

Sensai

Smash Master
^^^^

Thanks for that. You probably just made my mind up to get it.

From what I've seen of reviews, it's horrible. From what I've heard who've played it, it's great. I just dunno anymore.

Anyways, my Wii won't connect to the Shop Channel. I looked to see if it was one of those updates that messes it up, but I couldn't find any links that reffered to that. I don't think it is, though.

Anyways, here's the error code, so if you happen to know anything about it....help?

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I need some advice. I checked the Sunday newspaper five minutes ago and there was an add for Wiis at Best Buy tomorrow, 12 minimum a store. How soon should I get there?

Sensai

Smash Master
You mean that there will be Wii's at BestBuy on Sunday, or on Monday?

Either way, it depends on how crazy people are at wherever you live and how many people read that newspaper and would respond to it.

At minimum, 5 hours. Hell, depending on how much time you have to waste, and how much you're willing to waste it...you might just wanna live in BestBuy for the day.

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
The Wiis are on sale Sunday. (not "on sale" as in a discounted price) I guess I'll get there at 6am and wait until 10. I just hope I get one and hope even more it's not one of the defective ones.

Omnigamer

All the things
BRoomer
^^^^

Thanks for that. You probably just made my mind up to get it.

From what I've seen of reviews, it's horrible. From what I've heard who've played it, it's great. I just dunno anymore.

Anyways, my Wii won't connect to the Shop Channel. I looked to see if it was one of those updates that messes it up, but I couldn't find any links that reffered to that. I don't think it is, though.

Anyways, here's the error code, so if you happen to know anything about it....help?

That error indicates that the Wii can't make a proper connection with the wireless router/whatever you're using. That, or it just times out. If you're doing something on the connection, like downloading or uploading something, you may want to pause that so the Wii can make a full connection.

Lucas The Lefty

Smash Apprentice
can u download the opera browser free right now on the wii? i herd that after the year is over its gonna cost money to download but i haven't herd if anyone has done it. also wii sports should have been online or should eventually be online. if Nintendo made wii sports online it would have been a taste of the wii's online capabilities and would also be a little hold me over until the real online multiplayer games come out. hopefully they'll come out with more stuff like that in the future, but only time will tell.

Sensai

Smash Master
You cannot download the Opera browser as of yet, but I believe that it'll be released to coincide with the Japan launch.

I fixed my problem. For those who are getting Error Code 052030 (dun dun!), simply change the channel on your wireless browser from what it is now (probably 6) to either 1 or 11. I chose 1, loaded up my Wii, and it worked flawlessly. It's actually MUCH quicker then I thought it was.

And good luck with those Wii's. Common, if you get one, you gotta gimme your code ASAP.

(BTW: I stepped outta my 52030 problem and into another one: my blue LED may be broken!)

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
And good luck with those Wii's. Common, if you get one, you gotta gimme your code ASAP.
Will do. *prepares to fight off eight year old kids at Best Buy* Thanks, Vulpine.

What Wi-Fi games do you have now? I bought Red Steel early because there was a sale.

Also, there may be problems with my internet. My DS cant go online and I've tried everything the Nintendo.com had to offer. (Not the DS's fault. It works fine at McDonald's and friends' houses.)

Sensai

Smash Master
Common...I dunno how to break this to you, so I'mma come right out and say it:

Nintendo's not releasing any online games until next month (December, with the release of that Pokemon game), and I don't think they're allowing for any 3rd party people to do online until Q1 'o7, possibly later.

I'm sorry man...there were no survivors.

[Edit:]

My LEDs work! Yippy!

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Is the LED supposed to stay on full time? It looks so cool, and yet mine only blinks on when I start up the system. I heard it also starts when you get something over Wiiconnect24, but I don't have anyone's Wii code yet, so I haven't tested it.
Yeah, before launch nintendo made an announcement that Led's were not going to be on full time. In fact they were gonna do away with it completely, but changed their minds. It blinks when the console turns on, and when you've received something over WiiConnect24 it'll start pulsing blue.

edit: does anyone know what the poin of the USB ports is besides for ethernet? Especially since there are TWO ports? Why doesn't the Wii take USB flash drives? I have one of those, and its a lot easier to transfer stuff from my comp with a USB key than it is with an SD card.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I'm sorry for sounding stupid here, but are you talking about the LED on the Wiimotes, or the Wii itself. The power light on my Wii hasn't gone blue, so I don't know...

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I don't think it's the power light that pulses blue. I'm pretty sure it's the disk slot. You know when it blinks blue when the system is turned on? That what they're talking about.

That's the only blue light I know of.

Lucas The Lefty

Smash Apprentice
if your talking about your 4th contoler light not working its just because the battery isn't full power anymore, my batteries died and i had to replace them, i had the same problem u did but when i put new ones in all 4 came back, its a power gague.

Sensai

Smash Master
I was talking about the LEDs in the actual console, where the disc goes in.

It blinks when it comes on and when you recieve something.

And ChRed, I have no idea about the whole USB ports. Oh, wow, it just occurred to me, perhaps we will be able to hook keyboards up to it to chat in online games.

Jeah...I'm sure everyone else has had this revelation. I'm just dumb, sorry.

Lucas The Lefty

Smash Apprentice
has anyone done the mii parade? i've only herd about it, i really gotta crack this WEP and get online so i can get going with all the updates and things. i herd a rumor that you will be able to go into a chat room w/ your mii and talk <weather speaking or typing idk> but i also herd that communications will be possible with a DS but then again it might only work with the DS or it might also work with the DS, Nintendo isn't telling us what we should know about the system and a lot of the online capabilities and features.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Mii parade is fun if you've got a bunch of buddies with a bunch of Miis on Mingle which they don't send to you. If someone sends you a bunch of random Miis he thinks are funny, just tell him to turn Travel on and Mingle on for all his Miis. Right now there's like 6 Miis in my parade.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will release firmware updates that will "unlock" the USB ports.

Many people have already tried plugging things in, and often times the unit is powered up, but nothing works. Why? Simple: the Wii doesn't have the drivers to operate the keyboard.

I think that when Opera comes out, so will a keyboard firmware upgrade...because surfing the net with the Wiimote alone is going to be painstaking.

In the future they could add things like a mouse, camera, flash-drive support, microphone hookup, or anything else that you can think of that uses USB on your PC.

And if Nintendo doesn't offer support for a keyboard, I'm sure some 3rd party will jump on the bandwagon.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Good for you man. You're going to have a fine x-mas.

And about battery life, I got 15 from the cheepo batteries that came with the Wii and 18-20 from standard Energizer batteries. From this point on im using rechargable AAs so I dont have to worry about spending extra cash on batteries. I seems like a good investment.

COD3PWNER

Smash Cadet
I actually got a Wii on Friday in Mississippi at 7 in the morning, I love Call of Duty 3 and Twilight Princess. The Photo channel is also really fun to screw around with. When you get a Wii, definately get those 2 games.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Well, last night was the first time I camped out for a video game console. I went to BestBuy this morning around 2:00 a.m. and didn't leave until 10:30. Long story short, I finally got a Wii !

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Are there any reliable rechargeable AA's? All the ones I've used build up a memory and after any extended use their life decreases dramatically. I was wondering if normal rechargeable batteries have caught up to cell phone, iPod, and GameBoy batteries yet.

Lucas The Lefty

Smash Apprentice
wow thats pretty good smashman, idk if you sold it or not yet but when u do tell us the price, i herd up to 14,000 for a PS3 but thats cuz there's so few of them, i figured with the wii's since there was more supply it wouldn't be worth selling but now they're all sold out where i live so maybe it was a good idea, especially now that everyone has been bragging it up and finding lots of glitches with the ps3.

i read someplace that the wiimotes are suppose to last 60 hours alone and 30 with a nunchuck but that seems extensivly exagerated, i had to change my battieries<spell> already and i got it a week ago, although i have been playing a lot.

just wondering, has anyone cracked a wep encrypted wireless connection ever? also is anyone good with linux and would know the coad to do so?

smashman90

Smash Lord
Does the wii have the hard drive thing like the xbox and the 360 where it can save games on the console itself and then you could use memory cards in case you were traveling, etc.? Remind me and I'll tell you guys how much the bid for the wii that I am selling on ebay was.

Vulpine51

Smash Lord
Are there any reliable rechargeable AA's? All the ones I've used build up a memory and after any extended use their life decreases dramatically. I was wondering if normal rechargeable batteries have caught up to cell phone, iPod, and GameBoy batteries yet.
I've been using the same energizer rechargable batteries to power up my paintball loader for about two years. Just be sure they're fully depleted before charging them (although I havent always done that and they still work fine).

Does the wii have the hard drive thing like the xbox and the 360 where it can save games on the console itself and then you could use memory cards in case you were traveling, etc.? Remind me and I'll tell you guys how much the bid for the wii that I am selling on ebay was.
The Wii has something like 518mb of flash memory. That should be enough to save a plethora of files so there;s no need for a SD card unless you plan on owning a library of software. So no hardrive (possible upgrade though), but yes you can get Wii SD cards in the 518mb, 1gig, and 2gig size that run from about 40$-100$.

Edit: has anyone seen what the inside of the wii looks like? Im very curious.

Zink

Smash Champion
There were photos up earlier, called "Wii Hardware" or something like that.
Got a question about cables... Gamespot had a little article where they showed what an improvement component has over composite. Does component require a special port or something? Anything beyond a standard TV?

Top Bottom