• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii/Wii U

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm having trouble with SD memory cards. I've inserted two different cards and the Wii cannot detect either for purposes of transferring game save files. However, the Wii can see pictures on them with the photo channel. Go figure. :(

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Ouch! That's not good that the new firmware causes problems like that.....

I'm a 56Ker (and don't patronize me for not getting broadband, it just DOESN'T EXIST out where I live), but I know how to set the DS or Wii up so that it can connect to the internet anyway.

It took me about 3.5-4 hours to download the 2 updates....so far, I haven't had any problems...and hopefully I won't!

Anyway, I was able to successfully send and receive messages...but I have yet to send/receive a Mii (no Wii's added, just e-mail addresses). Also, when I log onto the Shop Channel, everything appears fine, at first....then when I try to link my Nsider account up with my Wii, it connects, then takes me to a new page. Sadly, it locks up here (the only way to get out of this page is by unplugging the power).

Hopefully I can link up my account at a friends house (who had broadband)....and *hopefully* in the future I can access the Wii Shop Channel.

I just hope I'm not effected by that error...I haven't seen anything yet...hopefully I won't.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
No, I found the problem. If you look on the support site, it says that the Wii requires a downloadable update before it can save games onto SD cards. :(

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Oh, question: How do you go about sending messages to your friends? I've added them and they've added me, but to no avail. Given, I only waited 5 minutes for all of that to register...
It supposedly takes a while to receive messages, due to congestion and what not. You should have received them by now...if not then maybe it got eaten by the Internet. Go fig.

When is the google channel going to come out and when are the weather channel/news channels going to start working? Ive currently been able to connect online with the wii so i wanted to know if these things are already out and my internet sucks, or are they not out yet?
The Internet and News channel should be available in January last I heard. The Forecast channel should be ready in December. It's not like they're needed that badly, because you do have a comp in front of you...

The firmware updates were for the Shop Channel and the SD Card feature. as already mentioned. So, you kind of need them.

Oh, and as far as 56K, you should really try to find someone that has broadband and download updates, etc. But if you're patient enough, then 56K away...

Wow...great news for those who can't connect to the internet. Yes, I'm lying.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/746/746907p1.html

I only have trouble sometime, and neither of those codes looks familiar.
From my understanding, this seems to mostly affect people who received the earliest shipments (i.e. if you had a startup disc with your Wii), so most people won't encounter this problem. Various other problems have been reported with Remotes, Disc Read Errors, Overheating, etc. Most of these problems are due to user error (no joke either, some people just don't get it or they refuse to read the instruction manuals...), but a few are actually due to defects. Of course, the number is incredibly low, so it probably doesn't affect anyone here. Be glad is Nintendo is trying to help everyone out for free. :)

And for those looking to get a Wii during Black Friday, if you've never been to a Black Friday sale, it's a lot worse than you can ever imagine. I guarantee it.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Oh, and as far as 56K, you should really try to find someone that has broadband and download updates, etc. But if you're patient enough, then 56K away...
Well, I was patient enough to download the first two...so I think I can tolerate the others. (I'll just update at night). Sadly, I live "out in the middle of nowhere" so I have to travel a little bit to actually find someone that has broadband. Ahh well, there's always my father's office.

From my understanding, this seems to mostly affect people who received the earliest shipments (i.e. if you had a startup disc with your Wii), so most people won't encounter this problem. Various other problems have been reported with Remotes, Disc Read Errors, Overheating, etc. Most of these problems are due to user error (no joke either, some people just don't get it or they refuse to read the instruction manuals...), but a few are actually due to defects. Of course, the number is incredibly low, so it probably doesn't affect anyone here. Be glad is Nintendo is trying to help everyone out for free. :)

And for those looking to get a Wii during Black Friday, if you've never been to a Black Friday sale, it's a lot worse than you can ever imagine. I guarantee it.
Start-up disk? Hmm, I definitely didn't get that, thank goodness. About the only problem I really had was my Wii-remote was suddenly, and inexplicably not synced with anything. Whenever I pressed any button it would just sit there and flash. No big deal, all you have to do is press the resync button on the Wii-Remote and the Wii console.

Overall, my system has been working really well; and I have yet to receive any error messages...it's just that dial-up = 00ber-slow.

Ahh well, I'd rather have a system that downloads updates slowly, than one that is buggy.

blaksheap82

Smash Ace
I would have gotten one at Target this morning if four guys hadn't cut us in line. My brother and I got there at 4 AM, the four guys came at like 6:30, and they handed out tickets at seven. Then the employees, after a few other people and I told them they cut, gave them tickets anyway. But what I was more mad about was how Target didn't do one per household like every other store, instead they did one per customer, and one family of six walked out with one each, even the eight-year-old looking kids. :mad:
I just picked up a preorder that was never picked up at EB. SCREW YOU, Target!!! Good thing today's my day off. :laugh:

I'm setting up right now; I can't believe all the manuals for this thing, holy crap. Also, I plugged in the power source, and the light was already red... I don't know what that means yet, but it's a little bit worrying. My brothers don't get home from work or school for a while, it's just going to be me, Link, and a Wiimote and Nunchaku for the next three hours, at least.

EDIT: I guess the red light just means it's plugged in, or something.

Oh hey, was anyone else worried about how sturdy the stand was? I know Nin makes really hardy consoles, but it didn't seem real secure in the stand, even with the circular bottom; better safe than sorry

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
I just picked up a preorder that was never picked up at EB. SCREW YOU, Target!!! Good thing today's my day off. :laugh:

I'm setting up right now; I can't believe all the manuals for this thing, holy crap. Also, I plugged in the power source, and the light was already red... I don't know what that means yet, but it's a little bit worrying. My brothers don't get home from work or school for a while, it's just going to be me, Link, and a Wiimote and Nunchaku for the next three hours.

Oh hey, was anyone else worried about how sturdy the stand was? I know Nin makes really hardy consoles, but it didn't seem real secure in the stand, even with the circular bottom; better safe than sorry
Well, I never relished the idea of display any console vertically, so I just popped off both of the Gamecube flaps on the side, and displayed it horizontally. Personally, I think it looks better that way. Also, I might add, I think it's safer; if you or a friend gets excited while playing a Gamecube game, you might pull the system over (yes, even with the circular disk). Granted, I kind of doubt it'll happen, but I just think it's a lot safer to display it horizontally.

The color of the LED light has to do with the WiiConnect24 service. If the light is red, it means the service and Wii are off. If the LED is orange, it means the Wii is off, but the WiiConnect24 service is on (thus the Wii is in standby mode). If the LED is green, of course, it means that the Wii is powered up.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
If set the Wii in the stand correctly, it's actually quite sturdy. Just make sure it fits securely and the bottom vent isn't blocked, otherwise your Wii will overheat. You can take off the flaps covering the Gamecube controller ports and memory card so that you can set it down, but it still shouldn't be a real problem unless someone tries to throw a controller...

As far as WiiConnect24, you can disable it completely through the options menu or by unplugging the Wii, but it's best to leave it on unless you're afraid of it overheating.

Oh, and Wii Play has been confirmed for a US release around 2007 and will come with a free Remote. I wish I could find the article again as proof though...

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
I waited in line for about 13 hours for the midnight launch of the Wii in Times Square. . .it was grueling, but in the end, I think it was worth it.

Honestly, I'm just not sold on the whole idea of the Wii yet. Yes, it's interesting in concept, but I just feel that it wasn't as necessary a change as Nintendo suggested it would be. I could switch back to the regular control scheme for Zelda instead of the Wiimote/nunchuck, and I wouldn't mind.

Other minor complaints: the internet service is pretty lacking right now. It's really too bad that there's literally zero online support with the exception of about 9 or so games, all of which aren't that appealing. . .and no weather, internet, or news. Meh.

Otherwise, the Wii is just what it is--another game console, albeit with a rather intuitive interface. Admittedly, the new controls are INCREDIBLE for Super Monkey Ball and Wii Sports. Not so much for Zelda.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I got with a group of 4 and we played Wii sports and red steel for the first time. Despite me getting hit and a Wiimote to the ceiling, it was awesome. Can't wait to do it again.

Man I need a better computer/internet connection so I can access the other channels and send messages. Did you all use wireless routers or did you use the Nintendo Wi-Fi connector? I need to know which one would be better.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Man I need a better computer/internet connection so I can access the other channels and send messages. Did you all use wireless routers or did you use the Nintendo Wi-Fi connector? I need to know which one would be better.
Theoretically, they should be nearly the same speed, but some people don't have a choice and have to use the WiFi connector. If you have wireless already setup in our your house, then connecting the Wii is similar to connecting the DS. Just know that the connection is kind of slow due to traffic congestion and your individual broadband. You'll have to download two updates before you can shop on the Shop Channel or mess around with SD card data.

primusfan

Smash Ace
Well, I finally played a Wii ! I went to a local gaming cafe. Some guy brought his new Wii. I played Wii Sports Bowling for a couple of minutes, it was so awesome. Can't wait until mine comes in.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
i initially had problems getting online.

I changed my router channel to 1 and it worked( in trouble shooting it says channel 1 or 11 increase signal strength).

Sensai

Smash Master
Well, I finally went shopping last night. Not really all that much to look at. I could've swore that it would be more entertaining.

Now my grandpa's in the living room, so I can't touch my Wii til he goes to sleep. Oh well.

And Black Friday is great fun, so long as you're not NEEDING what you want.

Sensai

Smash Master
Monkey Ball: BB is excellent. I have to pry it from my sister's/father's/girlfriend's hands.

[Edit:]

Ack! Left my sig on. I apologize profusely.

Also, I just sent my Wii an email. It took it less than a minute to recieve it. Maybe it was slow because EVERYONE who got a Wii was getting online and bogging things down?

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Have any of you linked your NSider account with the Wii? If so, what happens? Whenever I try, it says "connecting"...then after about a minute (I'm a 56Ker, remember), it takes me to another page where it says "one moment, connecting....", but internet activity freezes, and nothing ever happens.

Also, if I select "do not link", will I be able to link later?

Sensai

Smash Master
Fox P, I have no idea. Everytime I do anything out of the ordinary on the Wii internet wise, it freezes. Plus, I don't have an Nsider account.

I have a question, though: Does the Wii recieve messages/Mii's while I'm playing a game? If it does, does the blue LED light up?

Dunno if anyone'll know the answer, but I'm somewhat curious.

Also, any ideas as to when the next update'll be? :-D Hopefully they'll smooth some things out, haha.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Well, the Wii Weather service will be launched December 20th...so I'd say between now and then (or specifically then).

I too am wondering if it sends and receives Mii's and Wii-messages while I'm playing a game...and if it lights up. I could always experiment with my friend, I suppose.

So, I'm not the only one who has a Wii that is a bit touchy! Ahh well, launch systems are always finicky! Anyway, did you notice if you had the option to link your Wii with an NSider account later?

Also, call me "Fox".

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The Opera Web Browser should be released around December, supposedly to coincide with the Japanese Wii launch. It's not that important...I'd rather they release more Virtual Console games than worry about the Internet Channel.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Ok, a slight update: apparently I'm not the only one who's Wii stops communicating with the internet when I click "link" or "do not link" in the Wii Shop Channel.

No one knows how to fix it yet...one Nintendo tech-guy told a customer he'd send him a new Wii, and then the customer would send him the defective one.

Sadly, I may have to do this...*sniffle* and I had a pretty good score on Wii sports! Oh well. *chuckles* good thing I kept all the original packaging!

Nite

Smash Champion
I want the web browser sometime. I just want to get online from my room.

Anyways, 2 new Virtual Console games were released recently. I saw them when I got on the Wii Shop Channel earlier. I just happened to notice them because they weren't on there before. One is Bomberman '93. I don't remember what the other one was though. They are TurboGrafix games.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I didn't have any trouble linking my nsider account, though i had internet trouble initially.

What does it do? For those of you with a DS, you could link your DS to your account, and then your stats went up on the nintendowifi.com leaderboards. Probably a similar thing happens with this.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
ChRed2AKrisp is kind of right. From my understanding linking your account allow games purchased through Virtual Console to be automatically registered at the Nintendo website. You don't have to link acounts if you don't want to, but it could have future use (i.e. purchase x number of Virtual Console games and get _____ free).

Fox P McCloud, have you tried connecting to the Shop Channel more than once? The Shop Channel tends to do odd things...I had trouble connecting yesterday, but I was able to get through without a problem after a second try.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I've tried multiple times...around 5, I believe. Every time I try, it results in the same thing.

Every time I've tried, I've always used the "Link" option. However, I can guarantee if I select the "do not link" it'll do the same thing.

I'm not the only one experiencing this problem.....

Nintendo's forums are getting absolutely pounded right now (can't access it), as is their e-mail and phone-support. I'm going to give it about a week...if the issue isn't resolved by then, I might have to call :S.

I was able to get my DS working in a matter of minutes...same way with the Wii; my only problem is the Wii Shop Channel. :T

primusfan

Smash Ace
I'm not sure if this is old or new ( I think it's new) news but apparently some people are already having to send their Wiis back. It seems that a certain downloadable update is bricking some systems.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
ummm... they're all wireless. and the only lag i've found is in legend of zelda tiwlight princess and that's only because it was ported. For other games and the wii home menu there's no lag.

Blazey

Magical Love Gentleman
BRoomer
Wow, sounds like there are alot of problems with the Wii. o.0 Jeez, I hope they resolve all the issues for the Australian release. :urg:

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
The only problem I've really encountered is that sometimes the Wiimote won't correctly interpret a gesture. It happens a lot in Wii Sports boxing; like I'll throw a low punch and the Wiimote just won't read it. Other times, like in Zelda, one gesture will be interpreted for another; i.e. a forward thrust with the nunchuck will be misinterpreted as a side-to-side gesture.

But in general, these problems happen very rarely. All in all, after playing about 15 hours of Zelda/Super Monkey Ball/Wii Sports, I can safely say that the concept of the Wii really does work. It's certainly not flawless, but it definitely works.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Sometimes my sound wont work for a hit or two on the controller in Zelda, but that's pretty rare.

Fox P McCloud

Smash Apprentice
1. Some Wii's won't be able to access the internet after the first 2 updates, this generates a particular error code.
2. Some Wii's are completely bricked after downloading the first 2 updates.
3. Some Wii's work perfectly; you can connect to the internet, download updates, send messages, and play games fine, but the Wii stops communicating with the wireless router when you click "link" or "do not link" in the Wii Shop Channel. In short, the Wii Shop Channel just doesn't work for these Wii's. This produces no error code.

Luckily if you have problems 1 or 2, it's fairly easy to get a replacement unit.

Sadly, however, you have to get ahold of a fairly competent technician to get him to send you a replacement unit for problem #3 (most will just say you typed in something wrong, their server is busy, your router is not properly configured, etc). However, this isn't the case for this rare, but annoying problem.

All in all, Nintendo's being very cooperative at replacing the units (free of charge, of course)....I just hope that I can get mine replaced sometime next week (in other words, get ahold of a competent tech).

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
My Nintedo Wii's code is:

1330 4006 2746 0769

I will add everybody that responds:
"I added Mr. Gaw" or "added joo gaw" or whatever.

Just lookin for some friends for my Wii.

Top Bottom