• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wii classic controller pro vs Gamecube controller

Abel1994

Smash Lord
So I have to choose one to buy tomorrow. I used a GC all my life ever since the Gamecube first came out. Right now my main controller is completely broke yesterday and now im forced to use the one with the broken c stick. Im just wondering which one should I get tomorrow. if I do get the Wii pro then ill just try and relearn how to play brawl with it and hope for the best.

Wii classic pro
vs
gamecube

Supreme Dirt

King of the Railway
I use GCC, but if you want to be awesome, use CCPro.

Then do a double claw. You've got a DPad that can be used for stuff other than taunts because of its layout.

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I can use both, but I actually prefer my classic controller. I don't have a pro, but the pro's button layout is better than the regular, plus it has grips. I just like the proximity of the sticks better and the d-pad isn't entierly useless like the gamecube's.

Flayl

Smash Hero
CCPro has better shoulder buttons. GCC has a better control stick. The CCpro's second control stick feels more responsive than the GCC's C-stick.

CCPro's button layout is arguably better (it's easier to press Y and B).

If you're not going to play Melee, the CCPro is the better choice. Or you can do like I do and play Brawl with CCPro and Melee with GCC and use different characters so you don't get mixed up.

Gatlin

cactus in the valley that's about to crumble down.
Gamecube, no question for me. I actually asked this exact question not too long ago and nearly everyone said gamecube. I don't regret their choice.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
If your controller broke, literally go out to your nearest Gamestop or similar store, ask to look at their used controllers, and feel around with them for a few minutes each until you get one you like.

-DD

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Igot the pro and im getting used to it and so far I LIKE IT BETER OMG WIRLESS MEANS I CAN MOVE AROUND MY DUMB SPOT YAY I LOVE PRO

M@v

Subarashii!
Only reason i'd want to use the ccpro is because I got the gold one from the goldeneye collectors edition.
(I do use the ccpro in other wii games)

WaffleBlaster

Smash Journeyman
I played gamecube on Melee/Brawl for about 3-4 years, but I had to swap over when I got my Wii because I didn't have an extra controller. I find the classic superior to the gamecube and I don't even have a pro, though I'm thinking of getting one.

Zodiac

Smash Master
It doesn't really matter which one, they are basically the same controller, the buttons are just set up differently and theres an extra trigger button....really there is no difference between the two other than shape and button layout...and that doesn't even differ to much. Save the money and stick with cube, that is unless you have some strange CC pro fetish.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I have used the original Wii Classic Controller for this game, so the Classic Controller Pro would be no different.

Also, both the CC and CCP don't have pressure sensitive L and R buttons, which is good, considering that shields aren't pressure sensitive in Brawl.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I have used the original Wii Classic Controller for this game, so the Classic Controller Pro would be no different.

Also, both the CC and CCP don't have pressure sensitive L and R buttons, which is good, considering that shields aren't pressure sensitive in Brawl.
That is the only thing I would seriously consider about getting a CCPro. That and it's wireless. I may get one so that I can sit anywhere and play, but for seriouslies, I would always go GCN controller.

Gatlin

Try using the Wii Remote alone. You win a tourney with that control scheme, and I'll really be impressed. :roll:
Lol I was stuck with the Wii remote for a whole 2 weeks before I decided to buy a Gamecube controller. Those were not fun times...

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
My personal preference when playing Brawl is the GameCube controller because it feels the most natural since I also use it for Melee and SSB(VC). However, after practicing with it for a while the Classic Controller Pro feels almost as good.

Here are some pictures of my favorite controllers for playing the Super Smash Bros. games.

Having used every single controller at some point or another, I can concur that the GCController is better in most areas. The general feel of the controller is more natural and the button layout is well designed. The Z and shoulder buttons are FARRRR better on the CCPro, no doubt about it.

I felt however that there was a bit more lag when using the CCPro, maybe it was just me, but it felt really sluggish. There's also the issue of battery life and whatnot, but if you have the slightest bit of knowledge, you'll make sure to take your rechargables at full charge.

So yeah, IMO, GCController > CCPro > CC.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I've never used a ccpro but it doesn't matter

gcc all the way
Most people who have been playing Super Smash Bros. since Melee generally prefer the GameCube controller but they’re getting a little harder to come by nowadays. Sure you can still order the platinum ones directly from Nintendo’s on-line store but if you’re going to put yourself through all that you might as well order the newer white Japanese GC controller that features a substantially longer cord. Surprisingly many on-line retailers are currently sold out of those so in that case the easy-to-come-by Classic Controller Pro seems like a viable alternative.

I’m kinda a controller collector (see photo below) so that’s why I like to own at least one of every kind and in almost every color available. :)

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Lol I was stuck with the Wii remote for a whole 2 weeks before I decided to buy a Gamecube controller. Those were not fun times...
Man I can't function with the Wii remote...I play horrible because the controls are all messed that way.
You could've just bought a Wii Classic Controller (or Classic Controller Pro) to avoid that dilemma. Of course, some people are pretty picky with their controllers.

Gatlin

You could've just bought a Wii Classic Controller (or Classic Controller Pro) to avoid that dilemma. Of course, some people are pretty picky with their controllers.
Well I thought about it. The Wii Remote was all I had since it's what came with the Wii, and it was getting annoying not having as much potential as I could have with a GC or CC. I originally was going to go out and buy a CCPro, but right before, I asked another forum which I should get and really at least 80% of people said GC, so that was my choice. I'm not really picky about controllers, but I fear it would take some getting used to again if I were to switch it up again.

Arikags

Smash Cadet
I went from GCC to CCP a few months ago. Then I tried to switch back for the hell of it last week, but I couldn't do it. CCP is just easier to work with, hands-down.

FIREL

Smash Ace
Well I thought about it. The Wii Remote was all I had since it's what came with the Wii, and it was getting annoying not having as much potential as I could have with a GC or CC. I originally was going to go out and buy a CCPro, but right before, I asked another forum which I should get and really at least 80% of people said GC, so that was my choice. I'm not really picky about controllers, but I fear it would take some getting used to again if I were to switch it up again.
Never EVER play with the wiimote alone, its horibble. Atleast put a nunchuk in.

Gatlin

Never EVER play with the wiimote alone, its horibble. Atleast put a nunchuk in.
Hah you know, that is what I tried when I first got the game was Nunchuk + Remote, but I just couldn't get the handle of it, so I dropped the Nunchuk. I would have used it had I known now how hard it is to do anything besides tilts and jabs.

Abel1994

Smash Lord
Most people who have been playing Super Smash Bros. since Melee generally prefer the GameCube controller but they’re getting a little harder to come by nowadays. Sure you can still order the platinum ones directly from Nintendo’s on-line store but if you’re going to put yourself through all that you might as well order the newer white Japanese GC controller that features a substantially longer cord. Surprisingly many on-line retailers are currently sold out of those so in that case the easy-to-come-by Classic Controller Pro seems like a viable alternative.

I’m kinda a controller collector (see photo below) so that’s why I like to own at least one of every kind and in almost every color available. :)
I forgot how the n64 controllers look so baddass lol

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
I'm debating on switching to a CCP. The only thing is, assuming you would use the right analog as the C-Stick, Could I get used to it being that big? And i cant tell how far apart the A B Y X buttons are, i need to see it at a store.

M!nt

Smash Champion
I would say the gamecube controller is better because Ive used for smash so long it kinda hard to change, that and I never acually played with a CC or CCP.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
I'm debating on switching to a CCP. The only thing is, assuming you would use the right analog as the C-Stick, Could I get used to it being that big?
I think that’s one of the CCP’s greatest strengths, the fact that the right analog stick is the same size as the left one. In general this makes smash attacks easier to perform.

Flutter NiTE

Smash Lord
I think that’s one of the CCP’s greatest strengths, the fact that the right analog stick is the same size as the left one. In general this makes smash attacks easier to perform.
That is actually one of my concerns though, I'm used to the C-Stick being so small, I feel like this big C-Stick will take up much room. Also, I always used Y to jump, Seeing how it is so far away from A now may make it seem akward.

tan(90

Smash Apprentice
I am a classic controller pro user myself, but I have a question. Does it have input lag disadvantages to the gamecube controller since it is wireless?

Top Bottom