• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why Use a Bad Character?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
-Which bad character do you play?

:falcon::samus2::kirby2:

-Do you think your character is bad?

C. Falcon sucks. Samus has her D-Air and some decent harrassment but isn't too sharp in the big image. Kirby is decent, he has a good air-game but is too fragile.

-How did you come about to playing this character?

I mained Captain Falcon in Melee, but he's gone kind of to the side in favor of Wario, still the one I use the second most though. Samus because I love Metroid, and Kirby because I love his games too.

-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?

Fun, it's really just that. Sure I might be better with Meta Knight (duh,) but there's just such satisfaction in winning with these characters. Plus, as I said before, it's just fun to play someone as action-packed as C. Falcon and knee someone to oblivion, it's fun to meteor smash someone to hell with Samus, it's fun to air juggle people with Kirby.

-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?

As I said, I still play all of these, but I switched main to Wario. I initially planned to main Meta Knight in Brawl at first, but since he turned out to be too overpowered and there was no satisfaction in playing him, despite the fact that he's one of my favorite video game characters, so I planned on either C. Falcon or Wario, and since Wario turned out to be just as much fun as Falcon but better, the Captain was thrown to the side. Wario was my second most anticipated character after Meta Knight anyways, so that was alright.

-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?

Heck no, while I do love winning as much as the next person, I always play games primarily for the fun. I have fun with these characters, Wario is the only above average character I play, and that's simply because he is fun. I love playing these 3 characters, and I have no regrets.

-Feel free to add anything to this

Fun. Ridley for SSB4. Nerf Meta Knight. kkthxbye.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
:wolf:

Not entirely bad, he is good and can B-reversal and wavebounce easily. However, he has arguably the worst recovery in the game.

I was a :fox: main. I started to play competitively against a friend of mine who played :snake: and I saw this as a very hard MU. One day I was playing as a random character against his :snake: . And :wolf: appeared and I gave him a very hard time. :wolf: has better range than :fox: and is a better MU against :snake: . That's why I played him as one of my mains.

-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?
The satisfactory of winning against strong characters with a borderline character gives me enough satisfactory to continue playing with him.

-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?
I already play a good :zerosuitsamus: , :popo:, and :metaknight: . So I have other good options, but nothing is going to stop me from playing :wolf:

-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?
I would possibly choose :popo: to have more time on practicing my chaingrabs.

Toxicroaker

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4184-2367-6702
-Which bad character do you play? Bowser
-Do you think your character is bad? No!!! he should be respected he has very high damage output and also has a good damage racking move in fire breath pinning people with fire breath bringing them up to 70-80% and killing them is fun :D plus he is not knocked back far. only problem is speed -_-
-How did you come about to playing this character? He is the villein (I usualy perfer the villeins) of my favorite series so I naturally was drawn towards him
-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws? Yes I will stay true to the koopa king despite his running speed and size because he is a very good character in all other ways
-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching? once I saw how low on the tier list he was I instantly tried switching and lucario, olimar, pikachu, diddy kong, and meta knight all sucked the only successful one was D3 and I still like bowser more
-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you? Heck no are you crazy!?!?!?

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
-Which bad character do you play? Bowser
-Do you think your character is bad? No!!! he should be respected he has very high damage output and also has a good damage racking move in fire breath pinning people with fire breath bringing them up to 70-80% and killing them is fun :D plus he is not knocked back far. only problem is speed -_-
-How did you come about to playing this character? He is the villein (I usualy perfer the villeins) of my favorite series so I naturally was drawn towards him
-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws? Yes I will stay true to the koopa king despite his running speed and size because he is a very good character in all other ways
-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching? once I saw how low on the tier list he was I instantly tried switching and lucario, olimar, pikachu, diddy kong, and meta knight all sucked the only successful one was D3 and I still like bowser more
-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you? Heck no are you crazy!?!?!?
Then you should be hyped for the new Bowser :p, he truly is awesome.

Don Guero

Smash Journeyman
-Which bad character do you play? :pit2:
-Do you think your character is bad? he is only bad against the high tiers, which everybody uses, so kinda but not too much.
-How did you come about to playing this character? i was just trying out all the characters and pit felt more natural to me.
-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws? i think he can be better. and he still feels very natural to me..
-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching? N/A
-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you? i probably would
-Feel free to add anything to this. i think i dont switch because im a fanboy XD

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
-Which bad character do you play? :pit2:
-Do you think your character is bad? he is only bad against the high tiers, which everybody uses, so kinda but not too much.
-How did you come about to playing this character? i was just trying out all the characters and pit felt more natural to me.
-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws? i think he can be better. and he still feels very natural to me..
-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching? N/A
-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you? i probably would
-Feel free to add anything to this. i think i dont switch because im a fanboy XD
Hmmm, I don't really consider myself that Pit is a "Bad character". He is in the upper mid tier, and can make his way to victory among top tier characters if played correctly.

peeup

Smash Lord
Which bad character do you play?
I main Pokemon Trainer, but I also play a lot as Yoshi, Ganondorf, Jigglypuff, and DK (though he isn't that bad.)
Do you think your character is bad?
I think he's fundamentally flawed. Stamina prevents you from getting the most out of Pokemon Trainer. It becomes really hard to get kills because there is typically only one Pokemon that has a favorable matchup against any particular opponent, and so you would naturally use that Pokemon most in the fight. By the time you're done racking up damage, you have like half the normal KO power that you normally would. I think that each Pokemon on their own would be far higher up on the tier list than PT is.
How did you come about to playing this character?
My first main was Olimar, and I was ecstatic when the first tier list came out because he was ranked fairly low (I knew that was a horrible placement at the time, but I wasn't complaining.) I like to play low tier characters, partially because after maining ICs and Jigglypuff in Melee, my friend who I usually played with would complain that I only pick cheap characters. While playing Olimar, I also toyed around with PT because Pokemon is my favorite franchise in Smash, and RBY are some of the best games out there. When subsequent tier lists ranked Olimar as high tier, I decided to drop him and go straight for PT.
If you use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?
First and foremost, because he is the most fun character in the cast, IMO. I lose interest in characters really easily, but with PT if I get bored of Squirtle, I can focus more on Ivy, etc. Secondly, the reason in the question above; people can't complain about low tier characters being cheap (except for Bullet Seed hehe). Thirdly, I kinda suck, and it's much less embarrassing to lose as PT than to lose as Olimar.
If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?
Hell no I wouldn't. I couldn't. I've tried to jump around to other characters (Ganon, Jiggs, DK) but Pokemon Trainer is the only one who can hold my interest for more than a little while.
Feel free to add anything to this.
Gotta rep the genwunners out there. Only potential Sm4sh character that could dethrone PT would be Mewtwo.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
:lucas:
No, when I first saw the tier list, when I first joined, I was surprised to see my best character, which owns all in a low tier.
After playing Mother 3, I was inspired by Lucas and wanted to main him and found he's one my best characters.. Plus, I never was really as Ness, but somehow the best as Lucas.
I continue using Lucas because, if I lose a battle as Ike (my primary main), mostly from range characters, I switch to Lucas to show them who's boss.
Nope, mostly because he's a staple to my brawl mains and I win almost every battle with him.

24Hejo

Smash Rookie
:gw::rob::mario2::kirby2:
No. I believe that all four of my characters can have a lot of priority depending on the amount of skill.

I'm a pretty big Mario fan, and I've been using R.O.B. and Kirby ever since I got the game because of their combo ability. I have always performed the best with G&W.

I have the most fun and skill with these characters. I try to accept their flaws and find ways around them. Tier lists don't matter to me very much.:ohwell:

No. I win many matches with the characters I main now. Besides, I kinda like the fact that I don't main any "good characters."

Tysonyoshi

Smash Rookie
Which bad characther do you olay?
I main Yoshi, Lucas, and Kirby
Do you think your characther is bad and why did you start using it.
Yoshi: I started using him because he is my favorite Nintendo characther and with a relativeley safe recoverey. I don't think he's nessessary bad but I can tell he is harder to pick up for some people and a lack of mainers is one factor that puts him down aside from derpy rolls and OoS's. This guys just my playstyle so I find it hard to find much flaw.
Lucas: The second characther I picked up. I would call him a bit bad but those flaws really set Lucas back such as the grab release dickerey and whatnot. With decent setup moves and good smashes Lucas is just another one of those characters for me. Plus theres he always the unexpected bthrow KO potential.
Kirby: Just randomly started playing him for theh lulz. Hes not too shabby.
Why do you still use them if you do?
-I'm not breaking my playstyle or use someone elese just to win. So AW HELL MAW
If you could go back to time and choose a new characther who would it be?
Nu I'm not changing.
Extra
I love the look on peoples faces when I own them with Yoshi

OTG Paladin

Smash Rookie
What bad character do you play?

:falcon:

Do you think your character is bad and why did you start using them?

Unfortunately, yes.. He is pretty bad. I started using him because after playing F-Zero GX for a whole month, I got the extreme urge to play him even though I knew he was highly inferior compared to himself in Melee (He is one of my secondaries in that game)

if you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?

He is nothing but a badass. Plus, I have had decent experience with the :diddy: MU (My most hated MU) as :falcon:. Banana trip into knee (or banana combos into Falcon Punch) into DTaunt is one of the greatest feelings in this game. :) Also, he is a good character to go to for me when I get bored of :marth:

Not really because when I started playing :falcon:, I knew exactly what I was getting into. I might have spent some time into learning :snake:, but I do not regret my decision one bit. :)

Feel free to add anything to this

Chrom for Smash 4!! Make it happen!

Silvalfo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Silvalfo

:falcon: YESZ!

Surely. He's a character with basically no great strengths except for mobility, which is not that useful when you can't do much even when you've reached the opponent.

I've always liked him since SSB64 due to how flashy and badass he was. Then, back in 2008, I started to play a diversity of Brawl's roster in order to get used to the characters, and I found myself enjoying :falcon: more than any other character.
Also, the "How to Play Brawl Like a Man" series pretty much oriented me on my main.

I've been playing this game for so long, I'm not dropping him that late. Considering the whole flashiness and badassery and manliness stuff, it ended up becoming a matter of honor.

Though I've never stopped going :falcon: , I ended up learning a bit of :pikachu2: and recently became interested in hammering stuff with :dedede: . I'd sincerely play with all the characters I enjoy the most.

No. I'm the best Falcon in my city (pretty much the only Falcon in my city, hahaha). All of Falcon's moves have reached such a memetic state and all KOs with him are so satisfying... I regret nothing.

"-Watashi wa shine! Shinenzou!
-FALCON PUNCH!
-Captain Farukon!
-Gyaaaargh!
boom"

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
I play:kirby2:

I do not think he is bad. Just misused. I have mained :kirby2: ever since brawl came out. The reason why i use:kirby2: is because i am good with him. I am all around a good smash player and can use various characters. But i totally own with :kirby2:

The reason why i still use :kirby2: is because people have a hard time beatinge when i use him.

Generally when i play i choose:kirby2: for the first match then every match i choose a different character to broaden my skills. I usually switch to:lucas: or :falco: i then cycle through alternate mains. Like:zerosuitsamus: or:ike: or :charizard:. Likei said i am a versatile smash player and can use almost anyone. But :kirby2: will always be my main.

(Should i make a separate post for :lucas:?)

DrMcNugget

Smash Apprentice
I play :ness2:

Ness is pretty decent when used correctly.

Ness just seemed like a perfect fit because my primary main character approaches aerially for the most part (Wario).

Ness doesn't actually have huge downsides in my opinion. Grab release shenanigans is my big problem but there isn't much else. He has solid KO moves. His ridiculous dash grab covers some of his attack range problems. Solid throws. He is a high tier doubles character in my opinion.

I haven't switched.

I picked Wario and ZSS before Ness. So no. I picked them for a reason and I decided to stick with it.

SVGK

Smash Rookie
i play luigi, but main meta knight purely for the badass-ness he has.

i like jumping around and side smashing people.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I play Melee, but Brawl is fun and I use the same bad character, so I will post my MELEE reasons, then why I stuck with him in Brawl (even though I could never be super good at this game because I love Melee; Brawl is just kinda fun sometimes for me).

Which bad character do I play?
Ness forever man!

Do you think this character is bad?
No. I know it. He is completely awful in Melee. I have heard he is also bad in Brawl. I am inclined to believe it.

How did you come about to playing this character?
Back when I was a casual, I fell in love with the PK Flash edgeguard. I hated how they changed that move to make it less good in Brawl. None of my friends could get by that move in Melee, but I had to just use the (still fun) bat for Brawl.

If you continue to do so, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?
The big headed kid in the striped shirt is so much fun. I am really sad that I may have to go Fox for my bad matchups. In Brawl, he is the only character I can use well, but I have dabbled a bit in Olimar, Lucas (of course), and Diddy. I would say out of those three my Olimar is best, but nowhere near my Ness (which is nowhere near competitive for Brawl).

If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?
I play this character a lot. Like I said, I am sad that I have to fall back on Fox to play against bad matchups. In Brawl, I can change characters more without feeling bad. They are all casual friendlies to me, but I will play Ness more than other characters still (when not going random).

If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?
Even if I changed my mind, I would probably play Ness still. He just feels so natural to me. My dash dancing, wavedashing, L-cancelling, and edgeguarding are all the most consistent with him. I think if I was maining a different character when I started playing competitively, I would have eventually found the kid because I am most willing to put work into him. In Brawl, I doubt I would switch mains simply because I don't want to put the amount of work into Brawl that I have in Melee, but if I ever find a character that is more fun than Ness, I will play that character (which is my problem in PM right now; Ness isn't that fun, but I may look for someone else). I look forward to seeing what Smash4 has to offer for Ness (if he returns) and if any other characters are more fun.

Most of those questions seem to come down to: Do you care about having fun, or do you care about winning? Dude...if you are looking for help on choosing your mains (which it looks like the OP is), go for fun. I feel as though you will naturally be best with the character you have the most fun with. Even if your results are better with a character (mine probably would be with Fox), you can play your main better (which is true for my Ness).

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
I think this counts as a tactic, so I made it here. *shrug*

This is more directed at anyone who uses or used a character that's just flat out not good. If you want some perspective...I'd call that the tier under the current borderline tier and below (some might even include BL tier, since they're BL for a reason).

[collapse= characters I'm looking at]

Borderline
D: :wolf: (+2) :gw: (-2) :fox: (-1) :peach: (±0) :pit: (+3)

Mid
E: :rob: (+1) :kirby2: (-1) :sheilda: (+3) :sonic: (±0) :dk2: (-5) :ike: (-1) :sheik: (+1)
F: :yoshi2: (+2) :ness2: (±0) :pt: (+1) :luigi2: (-4)

Low
G: :lucas: (±0) :mario2: (±0) :samus2: (+1) :bowser2: (-1) :falcon: (±0)
H: :jigglypuff: (+1) :link2: (-1) :zelda: (±0) :ganondorf: (±0)[/INDENT]

[/collapse]

Anyway, I just want to here some other peoples' opinions on willingly playing bad characters. Here's some of the things I'd like to see discussed since I'm a listing person:

I really want to know because it's eating me up at this point >_>

I'll start it off:

-I play 3 characters I consider bad. They are :mario2:, :luigi2:, and :sonic:.

-I do think my characters are bad. :mario2: is the definition of lacking in this game. He's got some strong points, but other characters are just flat out better. :luigi2: has been dropping on every tier list for the most part. People are getting better at exploiting his inability to approach. Playing him is becoming a chore against better people. :sonic: is the least flawed of my 3, but he's still got some problems. He can't KO to save his life and IMO he requires a lot of execution and effort to...not get that far. You can press 10 buttons and do 5 different cancels and just end up doing 20% or something. Then, your opponent makes one read and they catch up >_>

-I started off as a casual player, so I just went to my favorite characters. Luigi was first, but then I gave Mario a shot. After Mario, I gave Sonic a shot and liked him too.

-I can't answer the next question and that's kind of the reason I'm posting this to begin with, just to get some other ideas. I know :mario2:, :luigi2:, and :sonic: are flawed as ****, and I've seen the best players of the former 2 switch off of them completely...yet I still continue to use them...I don't know why, and I'm beginning to not enjoy them in a competitive environment anyway. But for some reason, I can't drive myself to just drop them completely even though in my own mind I feel like I'm wasting my time.

-If I could go back to the point I picked my first characters, I would do so and probably go high tier. Not necessarily :metaknight:, but just someone good enough to where I know if I lose, I never consider it being partly due to how bad my character is.

-For an additional point, every time I bring up dropping people, someone always says "why? you should stick with them." or "Don't, you're good with X character" and it's getting annoying at this point. Being good with a bad character...won't matter in the end. At the end of the day, someone's going to be smart enough to exploit your characters flaws and cause you to lose. What's the point of encouraging someone to keep limiting themselves?

This doesn't even apply to just brawl. It can apply to any character where you've got a wide selection of characters.

So let me hear it.
My bad character (and main) is none other than the Blue Blur himself, even though he doesn't really deserve that name in this game. Why do I play as him? He is my favorite video game character, that's about it. I really think him being shoe horned into Brawl at the last second hurt him. He is just so dang weak like you said, you really have to bust your tail to rack up damage. I had a friend who said Sonic was cheap because he was fast. The only thing fast about Sonic is his dash speed. His air game is terrible at times and most of his attack have poor lag. Add that with smashs with low start up, horrible priority, and poor out of shield options and you got yourself a bad fighter. I have won a lot of matches with him, but not by much and against a descent player it was by the skin of my teeth. I try not to complain because I know you can win if you are skilled enough and I don't mind a hard fight, but its just too much work to fight as Sonic.

Deathconsciousness

Banned via Administration
I play :ness2:

Ness is pretty decent when used correctly.

Ness just seemed like a perfect fit because my primary main character approaches aerially for the most part (Wario).

Ness doesn't actually have huge downsides in my opinion. Grab release shenanigans is my big problem but there isn't much else. He has solid KO moves. His ridiculous dash grab covers some of his attack range problems. Solid throws. He is a high tier doubles character in my opinion.

I haven't switched.

I picked Wario and ZSS before Ness. So no. I picked them for a reason and I decided to stick with it.
ALL CAPS WHEN YOU SPELL THE MAN'S NAME

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
lol @ this whole thing

sonic is objectively the ****tiest character in the game btw
I remember the day when I found out Sonic was gonna be in Smash. I remember the day when I accepted that Sonic was pretty much the *****tiest character in Smash more lol

BSP

Smash Legend
lol @ this whole thing

sonic is objectively the ****tiest character in the game btw
Sonic's move set outside of spins, grab, and throws is pretty terrible, but since he's got so much mobility and mixup potential, he's not one of the worst characters in the game.

TriforceOSM

Smash Cadet

:link2: and :ike: (I also use :marth:), but mostly :link2:.

Truthfully, I don't think any character in this game is bad. I just think the players are giving up on them because it's easier to main a HT, or because they'd rather wait in hopes for a better version in the next game.

I'd like you guys to recall how long it took for characters other than Fox, Falco, Marth, etc. to become viable characters in Melee. Brawl's been out for 5 years, and thank God that the next game is coming, but it's still too early to say anything about any character imo.

Well, I started out using only Ike when my friends got Brawl in '08. When I got it for Christmas of '09, I was already familiar with Ike so I kept using him and picked up Marth as a secondary. Later in '10, I picked up Link just for the sake of legitimizing this name (TriforceOSM or Triforce of Swordsmen), because all the names I thought of, pertaining to Ike/Marth, were extremely corny (i.e. FireEmblemDuo...ya).

I began training with Link and just completely neglected my other mains, constantly wanting to see if I got better with him. Eventually I just stopped using Ike & Marth and solely used Link.

I play Link because I believe he's a BL/MT worthy character who's held back by a few crippling MUs (MK, Falco, D3, etc.), but also because I have more fun playing with him than any other character.

Oh and I can't play MK for ****

No I've played with every character already, and I can't play any of those "good" characters missing from that horrible list (Well, except for Marth).

I'd like to say that denial of the impossible can make the impossible possible. I probably stole some famous quote :lol:

Jonas

Smash Champion
Bowser, at least when I still played Brawl. Also I don't play Melee that often anymore, but when I do, I like to whip out Bowser once in a while.

He's terrible, but definitely better than in Melee. Lack of shieldstun gives his defensive game a major boost, he can fly (sort of) and his command grab has an outrageous range.

I was kind of a Gimpyfish fanboy at the time (although I'd never played Melee competitively by then) and I always sort of liked Bowser as a Nintendo character. I knew that some characters were much better than others and that some are damn near unplayable, but I didn't care.

I still think that at some deep, perhaps unconscious level, most low tier mains don't truly want to succeed and win tournaments. They're content with being "the best Ganon in the world huuuurh" even as they are being ***** by everyone in pools, because they are doing so well with such a ****ty character. Some of them also want to "prove" that their character can be used effectively at top level, which is a completely wrong way to approach competitive play. I admit that I was probably guilty of this at some point.

Some of them are completely honest about it though. They just want to go to tournaments, hang out with friends and have fun trying to play as well as they can with their favourite character. These are the only low tier mains I can identify with because they are completely aware of their characters' limits and aren't trying to fool themselves.

I played Brawl for a year after launch before switching to Melee, which wasn't enough time for me to realize that I wasn't gonna go anywhere with Bowser. I mean, up until that point I just kept improving with Bowser and played evenly with pretty much everyone in my community, so at that point I had no incentive to switch. Had I stucjk with Brawl and taken it seriously in international events and stuff, I would have probably been forced to switch at some point.

Played around with Dedede, Game & Watch and Diddy but never really seriously committed to any of them. Also Mario to counter my friend's Samus, lol (it's easy to see that this is a completely unwinnable garbage-matchup for Bowser).

Probably not. It turned out to be irrelevant because I completely stopped playing the game competitively. I would've probably tried to stop myself from sticking with Bowser in Melee, though, although it's not like I ever did fantastic with Marth.

No, stfu

I'd like you guys to recall how long it took for characters other than Fox, Falco, Marth, etc. to become viable characters in Melee.
.... They were already dominating everything almost immediately after the tournament scene had started.

I'd like to say that denial of the impossible can make the impossible possible.
It seems no one has denied it hard enough yet.

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
Sonic's move set outside of spins, grab, and throws is pretty terrible, but since he's got so much mobility and mixup potential, he's not one of the worst characters in the game.
I shouldn't have said he is the worst, he has all the things that you said. I just wish he had a lot more priority and KO power. That's a big reason why I play with him is because I love his mindgames and combos, I think they fit him well, I just know I should be able to KO a Kirby player long before he reaches 150% lol

DLA

"Their anguish was my nourishment."
NNID
DLAhhh
Bored at work, so what the hell.

-Which bad character do you play? Ganondorf is my main, I also use Sheik and DK in tournaments (in addition to several high/top tiers)
-Do you think your character is bad? Ganondorf is bad. But not as hopeless as people think he is. DK isn't bad at all, and can be the downright scariest character in the game in a pressure situation. And Sheik is just as good, if not slightly better IMO. I think she'd be BL or even high tier, as the Japanese believe, if she didn't have a few unreasonably horrible MUs.
-How did you come about to playing this character? Ganondorf was one of my Melee mains, and though he wasn't the first character I tried in Brawl, he was the first character I got good with. I gained a bit of a reputation with him so I stuck with him. I don't remember why I started DK, but he looked fun so he was my go-to secondary for a few years. And if I remember correctly, I started Sheik about two years ago because Anti made a facebook status saying Sheik was really fun. Kinda silly lol.
-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws? Because I still have fun with them. That's it really.
-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching? In tournament, I've pretty largely put Ganon on the sidelines in favor of Falco, Sheik, MK, and likely Marth soon. I still consider Ganon to be my best character in terms of mastery, but he's just so much worse than my other characters that I do better without him in a lot of MUs. I'll still bring him out in tournament occasionally though (especially against mid tiers or lower), and DK as well. I also primarily use Ganon in MMs and such.
-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you? I think that starting with Ganon made me better in some respects, but worse in others. My read game is really good, but my camping game is pretty much nonexistent, which makes me really impatient in times where I should just be hanging back. I don't regret starting with Ganon though, as that's how people have come to know me. I think I've gained a lot of infamy that I wouldn't have been able to achieve with any of my other characters, unless I lived in a better region. But I do often wonder what it would be like if I stuck with my first main (Snake) or, someone else.

nat pagle

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0834-1759-2409
Truthfully, I don't think any character in this game is bad. I just think the players are giving up on them because it's easier to main a HT, or because they'd rather wait in hopes for a better version in the next game.

I'd like you guys to recall how long it took for characters other than Fox, Falco, Marth, etc. to become viable characters in Melee. Brawl's been out for 5 years, and thank God that the next game is coming, but it's still too early to say anything about any character imo.

What's your definition of "bad" then? Is it different than low tier? The low tier characters are mostly gimped by some aspect that just doesn't allow them to be viable against more viable characters. And the competitive scene for all Smash games has blown up long after Melee was released.

Most people would rather main a HT simply because they're HT. Their inherent advantages are more useful than the disadvantages of other characters. For instance, why would someone choose Ike over MK? MK has the recovery, speed, priority, aerials, etc.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
The first 3 questions can be answered simply, that I play Jigglypuff, I know she's bad, and I do so because Jigglypuff is my favorite character in all of Smash. I main her in 64, Melee, and Brawl.

Now, most people tend to view me as the best Jigglypuff player in Brawl (not that the title is worth much because nobody plays her). So I'll show you guys my point of view from a good low tier main.

I want to make this clear first, most competitive players go to tournaments in order to beat the rest and win, they go to tournaments all the time and practice all the time. I don't do that. I just play because I like to play, I don't practice and I only do well because I just naturally play well at the game. You could consider me to be like, a REALLY good casual player. As I don't go to tournaments very often and don't dedicate my time to the game. To be truthful, even if I DID main Metaknight I still wouldn't win, because I'd still have to dedicate all my time to being good at the game. So why waste time sucking with a top tier character I don't like when I can play as a character who I do like. My proof behind this is that I also happen to main Diddy Kong, who I chose to play in the beginning of Brawl's life BEFORE he was considered top tier. I played him because he could spawn items, and I've always enjoyed playing with items. Diddy Kong is top tier in Brawl now, but even so, I'm not winning tournaments because I'm not dedicating my time. Jigglypuff was top tier in Melee and I didn't win with her either. So it brings me back to my point as I ask this question in response "Why does it matter what character I choose if I don't plan on dedicating my time to this game?". Plain and simple I like playing in a competitive scene, not because I'm going to always win but because I casually enjoy playing others at a high level. If I do win, that's just a bonus.

D

Deleted member

Luigi
Not really. While Luigi does have his flaws, such has some of his good kill moves easily being blockable and having a poor approach, I don't think Luigi is as bad as people make him out to be. I'm pretty good with Luigi to be honest.
He's Luigi! He's my favorite character of all-time and I will always main him!
Again, he's my favorite character. I like battling my friends over Wi-Fi and fighting level 9s to hone my skills and learn and execute more combos.
I mostly really play the SSB games for fun instead of playing competitively. While I do go on stages like Battlefield and Final Destination with no items on to test my competitive skills, I still play the SSB games for fun and to have a good time. I do also main higher tiered characters like Pikachu and Meta Knight, but I use them because I like those characters rather than to have a fair shot competitively.
Heck no! Luigi has been my main in every game and always will be! I don't care if Luigi is the Ganondorf of SSB4, I'll still main him!

Javon89

Smash Ace
:mario2: :falcon:
-Do you think your character is bad?​
Yes, namely Mario's low kill power and pitiful range as well as :falcon: 's nerfs from Melee across the board, but all characters have their quirks
-How did you come about to playing this character?​
I've been playing Mario games most of my childhood so he came to become my favorite video game character. I've been using him in any game he's featured in since. As for :falcon: , I started using him in Melee, and had a lot fun with him.
-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws?​
Their play style is what I'm most comfortable with, I love their air games and :mario2: 's gimping tools
-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching?​
I stopped using him for a short time to train up some secondaries for tournaments. I don't really regret it as I still use :mario2: for the majority of my tournament play, but the extra characters is good for really bad match ups.
-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you?​
Not at all, but it's more of a character loyalty type of thing. I also tend to have the most fun playing them.

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
No. I'm the best Falcon in my city (pretty much the only Falcon in my city, hahaha). All of Falcon's moves have reached such a memetic state and all KOs with him are so satisfying... I regret nothing.
nah,no offense for you,but Brazil's scene is so small that is easy as *** to be the one of the top players of a bad character,since almost anyone plays with them.

Where do you live exactly?
Curious about your falcon.
(PM me)

Toon Link 99

Smash Cadet
Kirby and Link
They may not have so many good matchups and they are not that fast, but they are not bad.
I like them as characters, since I grew up with The Legend of Zelda and Kirbt. I like their fighting styles too.
I want to show people that I can play with "bad" characters too. I am a MK main, but I use characters I like.
I will use them until I quit smash. I don't need to switch characters, since I can use Meta Knight and Toon Link too. If I would switch, I would regret it for years...
No, I use them because I want to use them. I just need some time and patience to get better.

TriforceOSM

Smash Cadet
What's your definition of "bad" then? Is it different than low tier? The low tier characters are mostly gimped by some aspect that just doesn't allow them to be viable against more viable characters. And the competitive scene for all Smash games has blown up long after Melee was released.

Most people would rather main a HT simply because they're HT. Their inherent advantages are more useful than the disadvantages of other characters. For instance, why would someone choose Ike over MK? MK has the recovery, speed, priority, aerials, etc.

It's more preference than viability, but instead of telling you why Ike is viable, I'll just show you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjapzGUfIYs
Might as well provide another since that one's outdated: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3NV_B4Xm6o

Take into account that before San, Ike was LT.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Ike is after ICs the scariest character in the game. Ike players always manage to make me fall for their everything because I am scared of everything.

Cassius.

you're deadMEAT.
NNID
CVSSIUS
3DS FC
3239-3108-0529
Bowser

Of course. To give a somewhat longer answer I think Bowser is decent in theory/on paper but that's not the case.

I've always liked Bowser, ever since Melee, but I knew he was absolute garbage in that game. Watched videos of WarriorKnight back in 2008/2009 and started taking him a bit more seriously (before the Vex hype train). That's about it. WK got me into the trap.

I used him because I was actually really good with Bowser (arrogance yo aaaAAAaaa), but seriously, I reached a point where I was regarded as a top 2 Bowser player (out of like, 10). I did pretty well in tournaments, and I enjoyed myself. I was at the forefront. I also continued to use Bowser because as I mentioned before, he sounds good on paper. Amazing defense/OoS move, his ledge options at <100% are godlike, a command grab/grab release options in a shield-oriented, slow pace game. If you ever shielded against a character like that, it sounded/felt like you became food for me. It was fun. Of course, that was far from the case, but it still wasn't too bad. I use the past tense because I don't really play Brawl anymore.

I play Falco a lot on the side, so if I were to "switch", it'd be to using him. The last 5 tournaments I went to in Upstate NY, I barely used Bowser. I just used Falco, Snake, D3 and Diddy Kong. I wasn't in my home area (NYC) so after a while I didn't really feel the need to use Bowser. I actually did even better without him, so I don't regret it at all.

Nope. I learned everything about this game through using him. You learn a lot by playing a bad character. If you truly want to become good, it forces you to hone certain skills and talents. Nothing is spoon-fed to you (I'm not a hater of top tier characters, but it's just how it is honestly. Bad characters don't have anything going for them, so you really have to put in more effort as a player to win matches). I wouldn't recommend it to anyone personally, but I honestly didn't feel a dire enough need for me to REALLY use a good character in this game. I blame my youth, because when I was at tournaments years ago I never truly cared about winning. But now when I play different games, like UMvC3 and AE, I feel more motivated to perform well (like when I'm up-state). So maybe if I ever enter Smash tournaments in NY/NJ again I might not use Bowser.

The Smash series is really the only time where I've been in a position where my favorite character(s) are garbage. In almost all of the games I play, my favorite characters are godlike...it's just how it goes (Zero, for example). As a result of that, and me wanting to win at things I'm good at, I pretty much just use Bowser and top tiers lol

Gabe Hartzog

Smash Apprentice
Ike is after ICs the scariest character in the game. Ike players always manage to make me fall for their everything because I am scared of everything.
Ike players usually get me when I play Basic Brawl, when everyone is going at it, he can pretty much Smash attack the whole match. Its easy to fight him one on one, but in a fray, you don't pay attention and wam! You are KO'd at 50% :/

deadjames

Smash Lord
NNID
deadjames
3DS FC
0989-1855-2743
-Which bad character do you play? :luigi2:
-Do you think your character is bad? Objectively no, I think Luigi is a lot better than the community gives him credit for, I would put him at least in D tier, possibly even C-, but when you compare him to his Melee and P:M incarnations, yes.
-How did you come about to playing this character? He also used to be my main in 64 and Melee
-If you still use this character, why do you continue doing so despite their flaws? I still play him every now and then, if I'm feeling really frustrated and nothing else seems to be working I'll go Luigi just because I've played him for so long that virtually everything he can do is muscle memory for me.
-If you've stopped using this character, who did you switch to using? What drove you to switch? Do you ever regret switching? I switched to :pikachu2:, mainly because once I got back into Melee recently, and started getting into P:M I got frustrated with Brawl Luigi because he's just blatantly better on those other two games and I just happened to take a shine to Pikachu.
-If you could go back in time to the point where you started using your bad character and had the ability to choose someone else at that point, would you? Nope.

Ghostbone

Smash Master
:peach:

Depends on how you define bad.
Peach is pretty much in the right position on the tier list, so if you consider those characters bad then yes she's bad.
She has a few really bad qualities, her terrible fall speed and lack of an air-dodge really hurt her in certain matchups, as she just gets juggled/stringed really hard. Not having a proper air-dodge in Brawl is a really big disadvantage (like air-dodging onto the stage from the ledge just isn't an option, air-dodging past tornado never works, air-dodging into marth never works, etc.)
To make up for it she has float which no other character has, and her dair is probably the best in the game, and beats every uair if they try to come from directly below her, so she has some anti-jugggling tools. It's not an insurmountable weakness (it can be compared to Wario suffering from the worst air-release in the game, but he's really hard to grab to make up for it).
She also has a dreadfully hard time killing in many matchups (though it's often exaggerated, she often doesn't have to get a kill right away to put you in a bad position to set-up into proper kill options), but it's not like she doesn't have some other really good strengths to compensate.

It's mostly just a matter of I really enjoy her Brawl playstyle, so I picked her up. Daisy's also my favourite nintendo character so I guess that kinda has to do with it (though I don't ever play Melee Peach so eh).

I don't really use her in tournament too often anymore. She has limited viable matchups in top tier, but in those that she does well in I'll definitely consider picking her. (basically anyone that isn't MK/Marth/Toon Link/Snake)
But in a region where there's very few good players, and we all have pocket MKs, it's hard for me to find good opportunities to bust out Peach.

In tournament I play MK/Snake because they're just better against other top tiers. I don't really regret switching (and I didn't really switch in the first place as MK has been my main character since I started in 2010), Peach just isn't up to their standard in character viability.

This question doesn't really make sense to me, I play Peach because I enjoy using her, I could have decided to pick anyone else but the comfortability/enjoyment isn't there so I didn't.
If I could choose any character to be most comfortable with? Maybe Marth or Fox or ICs, idk.

Melee Peach sucks, true facts.

I also play Kirby and dabble in Squirtle Trainer, but cbf doing write-ups for them.
Kirby just lacks proper kill options since bair is always stale, Squirtle's one of my favourite characters in the game, and one of the most well designed Brawl characters tbh (he just fits the game really well, with proper approach options, good strings, a threatening grab game, etc.) , he's just held back by the other pokemon.

Top Bottom