• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why play pichu????

Smash Master
I totally disagree. Pichu has several redeeming qualities that are worth mentioning. I consistently perform better with my Pichu than I do with my top tiers, although it may largely be due to matchup unfamiliarity. Still, I beat a Sheik that knew how to chaingrab that wrecked my Fox. Should say something.

I'm not a horrible Fox either. I can drillshine, JC grab, rshdl, all that good stuff. I even doubleshine after dair, and I use the shine turnaround firefox edgehog. Basically, I can play Fox, but my Pichu performed better in the matchup against friggin Shiek.

It's not 95-5.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
What's so difficult about JC grabs, drillshines, and Reverse SHDL? 0.o And why SHDL when the whole point of SHL is to keep yourself moving?

It's true, though, some people focus more on combos and tech skill than their actual approach. Especially with a character like Fox where tech skill is everything. So in the end you either can't get the combo started, or you get ***** before you can try. =p

unknown522

Some guy
I totally disagree. Pichu has several redeeming qualities that are worth mentioning. I consistently perform better with my Pichu than I do with my top tiers, although it may largely be due to matchup unfamiliarity. Still, I beat a Sheik that knew how to chaingrab that wrecked my Fox. Should say something.

I'm not a horrible Fox either. I can drillshine, JC grab, rshdl, all that good stuff. I even doubleshine after dair, and I use the shine turnaround firefox edgehog. Basically, I can play Fox, but my Pichu performed better in the matchup against friggin Shiek.

It's not 95-5.
Technical skill =/= good with Fox.

owned

10char

this is why we play pichu
=D

wow good thread i guess lol? i c some of u feel pretty strong about defending him but falcon obviously destroys pichu anyday and so does EVERY other character in the game except mewtwo.
I had a bo7 set with raynex in falcon v pichu FD only. Once he started to catch on, it was getting bad for me. Jump back knee > approaching moveset.

Smash Master
*******. How am I going to show over the internet that I have mindgames and prediction skills, except that I beat a friggin Shiek with Pichu.

Tech skill is a bigger part of Fox's game than it is for every other character.

The point of firin yah lazor is to do damage, not run away. I mean, how stupid can you be? Durp durp I need to get away. Lemme push B a few times. Oop I died lolz.

Maybe moonwalk jumpback knee. I really can't see it working against Pichu's missile of a nair otherwise, unless you jumped at him from so far away that you were planning to land just behind his shield.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
If your winning because they don't know how to fight pichu what happens when they do know how to fight? pichu's fair is barly disjointed so it can beat the knee, try upair falcon has to stay on the ground or get cuaght in it.plus falcon has a high SH and pichu is very short and it's hard to land anything other than ground moves

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
*******. How am I going to show over the internet that I have mindgames and prediction skills, except that I beat a friggin Shiek with Pichu.
I've beaten Foxes with Kirby. They knew how to SHDL, dash dance, SHFFL, and Nair-Shine on shields. Admittedly, they knew jack **** about Kirby vs Fox and I won.

I guess the matchup isn't that bad. Totally winnable, especially at high level.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
In other news kirby killed himself... again. but the one thing pichu has going for him is speed and I just saw axes pikachu beat forwards sheik and come really close vs wobbles ice climbers with wobbling on. pichu is faster than pikachu by a pinch.

Smash Master
I've beaten Foxes with Kirby. They knew how to SHDL, dash dance, SHFFL, and Nair-Shine on shields. Admittedly, they knew jack **** about Kirby vs Fox and I won.

I guess the matchup isn't that bad. Totally winnable, especially at high level.
I bet if you played those Foxes with a top tier you would have won as well. That's the difference.

I'm pretty pissed off right now that there are people in the world who cannot discern these arguments for themselves.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Well, seeing how I lost with Falco and then used Kirby to embarrass them because of wounded pride...

:laugh:

Edit: I mean, I can basically take your post, edit it slightly as so:

I'm not a horrible Falco either. I can Dair-Shine on shield and hit, Shine-grab on shields, rshl, all that good stuff. I even doubleshine after dair, and I use the shine turnaround firefox edgehog. Basically, I can play Falco, but my Kirby performed better in the matchup against friggin Fox.

And now my argument has about as much credibility as yours.

Anecdotal evidence against no-name players, at a level that is clearly not high-level, is too pro. Especially when you note their inexperience in the matchup.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Tell you what my arguement is pichu has a stronger grab game, is faster,silamr moves the air moves other than the upair spike are perfect copies, same for f-tilt,jolt, and d-tilt with pichu's side b being better and he has a wall jump and hard to hit. Other stuff blah go **** your _____. cookies. I disargee repeat arguement, I freakin hate circles

This is a perfect circle to braek break the circle lets argee to this F*** my veiws now let's argue something worth our time. And tell you what you can be right everytime as long it helps pichu's metagame F*** me

Smash Master
Well, seeing how I lost with Falco and then used Kirby to embarrass them because of wounded pride...

:laugh:
Do you know what you're doing with Falco?

Pikachu wrecks Pichu because it's the only matchup where Pikachu has a range advantage. Other matchups, I'm not so sure. They really aren't comparable. Pikachu kills faster (thunderflip + gimps) and dies later, but has more trouble getting hits in because he's generally slower. If you're playing Pichu like you would play Pikachu, you're doin' it wrong.

General question? Is it worth it to jump away and down-B? I never do it, but it seems impossible to punish in my head.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
Tell you what my arguement is pichu has a stronger grab game, is faster,silamr moves the air moves other than the upair spike are perfect copies, same for f-tilt,jolt, and d-tilt with pichu's side b being better and he has a wall jump and hard to hit. Other stuff blah go **** your _____. cookies. I disargee repeat arguement, I freakin hate circles

This is a perfect circle to braek break the circle lets argee to this F*** my veiws now let's argue something worth our time. And tell you what you can be right everytime as long it helps pichu's metagame F*** me

Considering you called "90%" of the smash community ignorant pricks just a few pages back (and you've made it a recurring theme), don't be surprised when a couple of us either don't have anything to say or are reluctant to.

Just chill out with the Pichu already. =p

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Yeah who is this KirbyKaze guy? Why does he think he knows everything?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
srcew it I will just never get mad again and refuse to argue these things. Down-B is good I,ve seen people run into it at times but be smart in friendlies test stuff.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Do you know what you're doing with Falco?
Well, you defined being not-horrible with Fox as being able to do a whole bunch of technical stuff. I did the same, only for Falco.

So, yes, yes I do.

I can, after all, Dair-Shine on shield and hit, Shine-grab on shields, rshl, all that good stuff. I even doubleshine after dair, and I use the shine turnaround firefox edgehog. Basically, I can play Falco, but my Kirby performed better in the matchup against friggin Fox.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
What the hell is there to know with Kirby?

He only has like 9 moves.

And that includes his jump, wavedash, spot-dodge, and roll.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
you can dthrow jab reset missed techs into a swallow.

cool trick.

Smash Master
If you can genuinely say you play Falco as well as you play Kirby, and a Fox lost to your Kirby and beat your Falco, then we're in the same boat and I see no reason why you wouldn't want to reexamine Kirby's matchups against the high tier.

Or course, if your opponent kept jumping into the ****, then they don't know the matchup and it's a little different. The Sheik I played against seemed to know what he was doing, chainthrowing me from 0-80 and then letting fly with fair. He only got the grab twice though, because he wasn't going for it extensively because he knew I was doing everything in my power to avoid it.

My Kirby gets wrecked by high-level Foxes btw. I really don't know what I'm doing with that guy though.

deflurer, if you're gonna call Pichu slow, expect to be called ignorant.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You've gone from saying your opponent had no experience to "he seemed to know what he was doing".

The whole point of not having experience is the ignorance that goes with it.

Moreover, it is not difficult to grab Pichu with Sheik. How your Fox lost will remain a mystery to me but if your opponent didn't get grabs or at the very least capitalize on your efforts to not get grabbed properly with other moves properly, then he sucked. Pichu is extremely easy to combo and space moves on with impunity, even without grabbing the matchup should be easy. If he lost, even with chain grab, even with being gay, then he's probably terrible.

derfleurer

Smash Journeyman
Again, i'm bringing up the fact that he labeled 90% of the community. As in: what he said what a complete generalization. As in: it wasn't aimed at me (and so far i've said nothing negative about her).

And again, I said she's slow because:

I said she had a great SHFFL. But that doesn't change the fact that she suffers insane hitstun and has an incredibly short roll and wavedash.

And just so no one else completely freaks out on me, I do play all characters. And short of Fox, Mario, and Falcon, I play them all evenly.
If you're not in complete control during the match, you're gonna get 0-deathed.

I've been trying to make the subtle points without putting too much emphasis on Pichu's faults since the Carzy keeps flipping out about it.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Why play pichu? A couple ideas:

You don't have a top tier character

Get ***** hard enough so that you pick up a top tier char instead

Playing a low tier well should definitely help out your top tier (because you have to work that much harder and be that much smarter)

You are sick of seeing top tiers in the finals

Why not play pichu?

She hurts herself

=P

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I,m mental you gotta do and I,m trying to avoid the pichu circle were someones like pichu sucks because ____ no he doesn't because ______ no he sucks because _____ but he can chaion throw and pikachu is goodwas pichu isn't pikachu because he sucks because _______ you can see the loop right?

Smash Master
You've gone from saying your opponent had no experience to "he seemed to know what he was doing".

The whole point of not having experience is the ignorance that goes with it.

Moreover, it is not difficult to grab Pichu with Sheik. How your Fox lost will remain a mystery to me but if your opponent didn't get grabs or at the very least capitalize on your efforts to not get grabbed properly with other moves properly, then he sucked. Pichu is extremely easy to combo and space moves on with impunity, even without grabbing the matchup should be easy. If he lost, even with chain grab, even with being gay, then he's probably terrible.
Well, he's beaten RockCrock, so he can't be that terrible.

It's prolly a mystery to you because you think Pichu sucks, and I know he's just so rarely played properly and he's actually very fast, hard to hit, and deadly.

ICG: I think discussing Pichu's pros and cons is a valid use of this thread. Eventually I think we'll get around to discussing the implementation of the things he has going for him while avoiding exploitation of his weaknesses. Actually we know most of the latter pretty much boils down to "don't get hit."

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Fine.
cons
light
chain throwable
self-damage
short techs
poor range

pros
uber fast
powerful
a few chain throws+tech chase
2 projectiles
up-B is flexible for recovery and approach
great recovery and anto edge gaurd
good edge gaurd
vey large sheild
good juggle
many grab set-ups
very hard to hit/ combo in SOME cases
can't be pillared/waveshined even on a wall
can't be camped easily-fast,small,can run under missles, duck/jump lasers
immue to all but one ice climber chain throw (jigglpuff have 2 handoff and jab reset)
really good with mindgames with short walk, taunt,couch,hard to predict, etc
stage glitchs help mindgames/approach
hard to juggle for a long time-small,up-B around them and you juggle them,down-B
Amazing SHFFL
NO really weak stages that mess you up bad, unlike ice climbers, sheik,bowser, etc.
good with platforms on or off
no useless moves or near useless can someone say unlike kirby,ness,fox,falco,marth, and m2
best pummel in the game comes on frame 3 and holds them 2 frames longer than other people's 6 for pichu 4 for them

I am think I am forgeting alot of stuff

I hav an idea on how to let us pichu players deal with chain throws and techchaser a little better. if they miss the grab and see that you didn't tech it what do you think they will do? jad reset grab right? I heard if you di up a some % if won't work, your pichu your light so you should get out much earlyier by diing up and maybe you could even get a nair on her.

Don't try on j-puff it's not worth it plus the fact pichu is small stops them from trying different things

Smash Master
how do you juggle with Pichu? Uair is like a stiff breeze. Down-B has too much lag. Am I missing something?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
WTF? upair works on ffers for some time and you can throw in an up-smash or end it with whatever. That's partly why I said somewhere SHFFL upair more range and it sets up stuff.

My brother hates me for useing upair

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Yeah Magus said to SDI jabs and it can work at any %. But since it's Pichu and he's friggin light all you pretty much need to do is ASDI and hold the c-stick up and it''ll work unless you're at like 0-10%.

Oh and does u-air only send u in one direction? or is it broken like pika's?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
only up sadly, but it's great for juggling FFers. what do you mean by the sdi stuff I was talking about a way to counter the reset

TresChikon

Smash Lord
If you get jabbed while laying down, just wiggle the control stick at the top and you'll input smash DI, so you'll land on your feet instead of that get-up animation.

Holding the C-stick up works too, but isn't as reliable.

Don't try on j-puff it's not worth it plus the fact pichu is small stops them from trying different things
Why is it worse to try to escape her reset? Can't she do some horrible ish to you if you let her reset you?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
if you fail jab rest rest even if you were at 0% your basily f***ed when rest comes your way my she's F***ed if she misses. Heck try it if you want

Top Bottom