• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why play pichu????

BunBun

Smash Master
Making it to pro bracket and having to face players like Ken and DBR isn't all that good for a Pichu player?
Yeah...
I think you backed up his point, actually. Saying someone "is good for a ___ player" is irrelevant. It's like "look what I can do" and nothing else.
You're basically defining yourself by your character, and acknowledging that he's terrible and useless if that's as far as you can get and still call yourself 'good for a ___ player'.

When we play this goofy character, we should strive to be "good", not "good for a pichu player".

That means not going "Hey look how far I got in this tournament using Pichu". It means "I only made it to losers quarterfinals, darnit".

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I argee what do people think is good for pichu other than winning? Maybe we should make anti_____ plans like fox- approch with upair to set-up a grab or juggle or to give you an edge. you can then chain throw then edghe gaurd. yes it needs more details

Smash Master
Against Jiggs, how do you get the kill? It's not like they're hovering directly above you for the u-smash, they never stay grounded for the other smashes, and you can't edgeguard. I got 3 stocked by a Jiggs because I was reduced to random nairs for my kill.

Edit: the **** was handed out by Raistlin, btw.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
best way is dair, but floatys suck to fight.you can't really fight them

I nearly quit smash to day. But I will most likly play less. Everything sucks right now, but I don't quit easily.

J-puff really sucks pichu can't deal with spacing very well so maybe you have to just run all over the place and wait for something on low celing places

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Thanks I feel like S***, I really hope it helps by the way how would you make "really" like pleassssssssssssssse?

Vs jigglypuff I barly lost with her haveing one stock and she could SDi out of f-smash but it was on dreamland. maybe we come get some really good sheild breaking tatics that come take a stock every few matches. jab is **** d-B does a lot to sheild but they have to put them selfs in it. yeah maybe we could go to corn. if they miss the wall tech when you throw them at the wall it gives you an up-smash

you could use the wall to jab **** a little, the % that you die from rest doesn't change, plus they may get hit by lasers(same could happen to you but I,ve never been hit by lasers as pichu) because she basicly stays in one spot when spacing.

I read somewere that pikachu/pichu have the best stand up techs they have more inv. frames how many more I can't say right now because it wouldn't let me open the page.

here
Tech-Neutral

Total: 26
Invincible:
1-20 - [Everyone Else]
1-24 - Pichu, Pikachu

this may help with the short tech deal

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
What do you mean by that? like you do the perfect up-b thing? because I didn't think anyone even tryed to learn it. It's harder than waveshining.

games pichu can't play or fight them with:

spacing-were they start spacing don't even think of spacing back, pichu can't play that game, but he could slip in and _____ because he is small and fast I,ve seen a marth vs pichu match were that really helped.

camping-pichu can anti camp every good, by ducking,running under missles,SHing over them,him being small and his jab can beat a lot of stuff easily.

Defence- people may think pichu has a very bad approach so I will just punish him for trying. I would just start running around mindlessly and in and out of their space to tempt them, you can approach with a full hop B to_____. dd in place for a minute and randomly sh and do nothing then strike or up-B approch just to make them go WTF

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Really? Is it that hard? The angles are exactly the same as Fox. You get 24, 2 for each side and one per corner

I dunno if it's hard, waveshining is pretty basic.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I never waveshined till I learned how to up-B perfect on ground it took me a few days to get down a solid feeling for it. to the point were I can do it maybe 80% of the time and 100% perfect about 70%. Don't even try to learn it unless you want your a pichu main or something

TresChikon

Smash Lord
Wait, did you just say you can use all three jumps AND sweet spot the ledge 80% of the time?

That's reeeeaaaallllly hard. Definitely harder than anything my Fox does.

Yeah I'll stick to one jump quick attacks, easier for srubbs like me.

Smash Master
The perfect up-B thing where you zip from stage to ledge isn't that hard if that's what it actually is. It's a great way to edgehog when you need to get there fast like against a spacie side-B. It's prolly worth learning if you have trouble with it now. I actually edgehogged a Marth yesterday with it in teams, and it felt so good.

As for stand-up tech, that's almost always what I do, but it's still only one option, and my opponents are starting to catch on. What then?

You could take jiggs to a low-ceiling stage and uair them like crazy. Would that work?

wool

Smash Ace
Pretty sure uair won't kill a jiggs off the top on any legal stages.
Playing against puff is really annoying. I tend to just hit b and space myself so that I can get a utilt->fair->uair. You just gotta space really well and know when to approach with that nair/fair.

wool

Smash Ace
I tested on FD a WHILE ago that uair killed a fox at 200ish percent.
Actually I really don't remember it was a couple of months ago.
But i'm sure that the percentage that the puff would need would be over 120% so u would probably be better off with another move.

Batmansince1939

Smash Journeyman
hey i have been playing melee for years now and always stuck to the higher teir characters but lat'ly i have been playing with some ppl learning how to play the game and just recently picked up pichu to partner with a pikachu....laugh i know i am a **** but it is just for fun

well anyways i have fallen in love with pichu and kinda am interested in learning some stuff him to make him better any advice? cg? 0-death? juggles? anything really....my tech skills are really good so i can def put any advice straight into combat

Smash Master
So I couldn't get the uair to kill until 70ish on YS, and that was after an u-throw on the top platform, so yeah that's not the silver bullet to the matchup.

Also, when Jiggs misses a rest, don't charge U-Smash if you're near the edge. Charge Side-B.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
Most likely, maybe you could just keep smacking her with upair till she run out of jumps, it woulod take forever but she shouldn't be able to do anything to you as long as you space upair (hit with teh tip)

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Most likely, maybe you could just keep smacking her with upair till she run out of jumps, it woulod take forever but she shouldn't be able to do anything to you as long as you space upair (hit with teh tip)
With Jiggs' incredible air mobility, I don't see that happening.

Perhaps we can come up with some new thunder trixies for racking up damage n jiggs. :bee:

Smash Master
Again, aerial mobility. She's the least likely character to be put in a position to be thundered.

rhan

Smash Hero
Pichu combos on a bad Falco are ****. Utilt -> Utilt -> Uair -> Uair -> Uair -> Dair!

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Here's an interesting question about Pichu's pummel:

While Pichu's pummel does have more hitstun than others, it damages you when Pichu uses it causing you to only have a 1% lead on your opponent if you grab them at the beginning of a match. I would say this doesn't make it very good. :ohwell:

What I'm asking is, against what characters is it beneficial for Pichu to pummel? This puts into question the weight, koing power, and skill of the player you just grabbed.
For example, Kirby, who is a very light character with minimal koing options, would be a good character to pummel. On the flipside, Ganondorf, who survives forever and kills Pichu aa low as the 70's range, would not be good to pummel since you're only propelling yourself more quickly to your demise.

See what I'm saying?

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I thinks more about how your looking than them, like if your a stock behind don't use it unless your about to die anyways. If your a head by a fair amount maybe a stock or 2 go for it. how I go about useing it esle way it's damage. BUt go about it how every you wish too. You seem like you could be a very good pichu player, not even joking.

BUt hey you are the limit, meaning you can reach the top and stop but you are the limit you can go farther because there is no perfect

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Right now I'm trying to decide between Pikachu and Pichu as characters, so whichever one stands out more for me next time I sit down and play will probably be my main. They each have their advantages and disadvantages, but I have yet to find that defining quality that puts Pikachu so many spots above his clone.

-Tailspiking is uber fun, but so is winning with Pichu in general. :laugh:
-Pikachu technically has higher survivability, but Pichu is faster and smaller making him hard to hit anyways.
-Usmash differences are obvious, but Pichu's is still good. (6th best?)
-Pichu is better at techchasing.
-Speaking of techchasing.....well.......you know what I'm talking about. (This might be that defining quality :()
-Pichu is more technically advanced, which I like.
-Pichu has a better UpB in distance, lag, advanced techniques, and the ability to ride walls. Pikachu can edgeguard with his.
-Pichu damages itself obviously, but this really isn't too much of a factor in competitive play from what I've seen.
-Pikachu fares much better against projectile spam because of his ability to stall back with thunderjolt. Pichu has an easier time getting through it though.
-AXE lives in my area, so we already have a Pikachu main. :p
-I played Pokemon Yellow, so I'm a diehard Pikachu fan. But he's too fat in this game. :pikachu:

I don't know. I just can't decide. Pichu is really underrated and totally fun, but Pikachu shows promise. I guess I'll just go with the flow and pick whatever suits me best.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
GO by how is more fun, not by who plays, you will now have help from both sides unlike before. YOu could go both they each other but most people only play as one, I can't play as pikachu.

BUt pichu's up-b doesn't go as far it's shorter. pichu is faster, but he is much harder to combo, chain throw, and camp. Pichu loses his clothes during his d-tilt for 2 frames. And pichu overall has the better grab game.

Yeah I played pokemon yellow pikachu is way to fat and he sucks.

All I know is if you played as pichu you would be very helpful for his metagame, but again care about who is fun for YOU. I have a lot of info and stuff so if you ever want to know something I will tell you or find it.

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Pichu loses his clothes during his d-tilt for 2 frames.
Wtf? o_o

Sure man, hit me up with a PM containing all your juicy Pichu tidbits.:pichu:

Also, I've been thinking about trying to implement a playstyle with Pichu that takes the saying "don't get hit" to an extreme. By this I mean very careful play with lots of movement and poking with nair and damage racking with the occasional grab. I'm sure you're thinking this is just a standard Pichu playstyle, but I mean VERY careful, like Smash 64 careful.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I think upair would work too(more forward range and sets up things), Would cool to watch someone that good which I have been thinking about adding as one of my playstsyles, like my fox has 3 basic modes
1.confused mode-jumps around shooting at thing not there walks around trys to waveshine things not there.
2.-slow mode- faster than confused mode trying to hit stuff and trying to predict and attack
3.rage-all out ****, I become a lose cannon abuseing my speed and puting a lot of pressure on them.

But maybe for pichu's first stock I could play avoid any damage/risk, learn them and go nuts next match.

Side-B cancel- go to PS roll to end and change side-B all the day and you r lag will be gone when you hit the edge so you can up-B back on.

TresChikon

Smash Lord
With Jiggs' incredible air mobility, I don't see that happening
Pichu can easily follow from below and space her dairs easy. So how does mobility do anything asides from picking where she gets u-aired again?

Yeah I played pokemon yellow pikachu is way to fat and he sucks.
Playing melee on widescreen makes Pichu looks morbidly obese.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
but pichu would be the slimest in wide screen by far. What's the best way to play the waiting game as pichu? he can't camp/space really. nor can he wd like luigi or run like a falcon. pichu wants somekind of waiting game to read his foe

-Axis-

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I've been watching and comparing the playstyles of the top Pikachu and Pichu players (what are there, like 2? And I hardly think KDJ counts.) and the biggest thing I've noticed is that uair is a much bigger staple of Pikachu's game and how incredibly flexible it is in its design. It appears to have much more range and priority than Pichu's uair so he trades hits less, and can be used to juggle just as well as Pichu's can while still being able to gimp and use the awkward angle to follow-up with usmash and the like. Also, this might just be because of the particular Pikachu's that I watched, but they WD a LOT more, adn demonstrate more tech skill as a whole. I'll have to go home and try WD'ing around for myself but from what I've seen of its usage in actual matches Pikachu's is better. Finally, I have come to the conclusion that the Pikachu players in question are in general better at their characters than most Pichu players. Pichu videos have become so rare, I'm forced to watch friendlies with people who don't actually take the character seriously. As for nair, they're almost identical, but Pikachu players use it a lot less. Why? Because of uair, and how incredibly safe it is. Pichu's overreliance on nair makes his shffl game extremely predictable, and
Gimpyfish62 said:
If it can be predicted, it can be punished.
tl;dr
Pikachu's uair is what really seems to set him apart, along with the fact that he isn't incredibly weak to techchasing. Pikachu's ability to use nair as more of a "surprise" attack in the heat of battle lends to its usefulness.

I think Pichu players should play around with abusing uair a lot more, but I don't think it will ever be like Pikachu's. It's too easily outprioritized. Keep in mind that all of this is what I have gathered from videos, rather than actual experience, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

But I haven't given up on Pichu just yet. ;)

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
keep in mind pichu is about 7 years behind, and no one has ever been techical with pichu till me. Sorry I don't have any videos up.

Pichu has A LOT of stuff to get in order. I wish or feel there was more to do with dair maybe dair perfect up-B chase.

Top Bottom