• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why only Link?

Spife

Smash Master
This is to all the Link mains and more specifically, Link purists. This question was asked in another thread and I just wanted to bring it up again with an anecdote.
For some reason or another, I've picked up other characters.

Falco first, he was my nub character (I could play him well enough in case I needed to use him if I was getting noobed...back in my nub days heh >.>.....I don't get noobed anymore though). His SH and WD were a frame or so off from Link's so he's not that hard to play Tech wise. Beyond that, lasers, spike, and shine combos are fun to play around with.

Falcon next...I forget why I started playing him. I think it's cause I was playing a friend who's pretty bad..that plus doing a bunch of stupid 'knee only falcon' ditto's with another friend, and getting owned by yet ANOTHER friend by his falcon a lot (thanks, Roman).

Marth.......I got down shffl'ing with him and got through a few matches to the point where I can tolerate playing while wearing a tiarra. That's about it, oh well I c-stick only with him (give or take). Oh I also thought about picking him up to deal with jiggs (I figure range would be enough to deal with that...ball)

Fox: My Fox is terrible and I don't even know what the metagame for Fox is, which is probably why I'm tooling around with him. Plus waveshining interests me.

Now why all of that text? To state this: Until a change comes around within me, I am a Link purist and have too much Link pride to take another character into a tournament match. I also do not spend time practicing a lot with the other 4 characters I stated, I mess around on lvl 1's but I do not put in the time I need to to play them competitively.

I don't know why, I mean, the tier list says they'll do better than Link, and this is where the point of the thread and post comes to. Why, why on this green earth do we use that green hylian?

The response of Spife: I forget why I picked him up, but I feel more comfortable with him. I was trying to get my head around doubles and trying out all 5 of my characters when I realized Marth might be my best but I'm most comfortable with Link. I love using Link for some reason, maybe it's his up-b (up+b=death) or his nair, or his shffl abilities. Or maybe it's just that I feel accomplished while playing as him, I feel like I'm doing more then when I play as any other character. Is that my fault for not putting time into the others? Oh well.

so give me your answers! Why do are you a Link purist/main? Who else have you tried and why stay Link? What do you get when you multiply 6 by 9? And for god sakes, SCRAAAAAAAAAAAW?

Zodiac

Smash Master
Link purist, I really got taken in by Tier mania. Fox can beat anyone cause he's top tier...bull. tiers are only based on tournament results and the tournament characters are based on the tiers. see the cycle? well anyway, I've seen a lot of low tier usage lately, and a lot of high tier pwning. Why do I play Link, Well thats simple, he's awesome.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
if you suck with link people will think you're a huge nub but when you're 3 stocking technical falcos people will be like WTF IS THIS LINK and thats why he's my 4th best character :) :)

Spife

Smash Master
@ Zodiac: I'm not willing to get into a discussion on tiers right now, but yes I know exactly what your talking about (Fox is top tier cause he has a very developed metagame, Fox has a very developed metagame because he's top tier...even though he has the tools to be top tier but meh)
@Cosmo: yes, that is another favorite of mine, even though I've yet to beat any one with a worthy name, but I have taken a stock off Skler and a 2 stocks of Scar :) (even though he 4 stocked me later)

Kikuichimonji

Smash Apprentice
I'm not a Link purist, that'd be stupid. Swearing off characters is shooting yourself in the foot.

I like Link because I like LoZ, I like his combination of power and "speed" (compared to Bowser, G-dorf, etc.), and I like playing mindgames with my enemies. His projectiles are great for mindgames, especially on large stages.

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
I started playing link mainly cuz of OoT, it is still my favorite game. I personally just love link, I love the way he looks and I love the way he plays. I've started picking up falco, but I just don't like it as much as link. I'll probably play him anyway and suck it up to actually be able to beat my top tier friends who have more practice than me, but if I ever go to a tourney, if they ever happen again, it'll be link all the way, I just don't care enough about actual competition to go high tier.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
I started playing link mainly cuz of OoT, it is still my favorite game. I personally just love link, I love the way he looks and I love the way he looks. I've started picking up falco, but I just don't like it as much as link. I'll probably play him anyway and suck it up to actually be able to beat my top tier friends who have more practice than me, but if I ever go to a tourney, if they ever happen again, it'll be link all the way, I just don't care enough about actual competition to go high tier.
OoT is my fav game too, it's the main reason i picked up link.

speaking of falco I always thought maining Link and secondary-ing falco would be a pretty sweet combo, you could use link for most matches and if some fox came along you could go falco and eat him up ;)

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
I personally just love link, I love the way he looks and I love the way he looks.
Wow, you must really love the way he looks :laugh:

I've started picking up falco, but I just don't like it as much as link. I'll probably play him anyway and suck it up to actually be able to beat my top tier friends who have more practice than me, but if I ever go to a tourney, if they ever happen again, it'll be link all the way, I just don't care enough about actual competition to go high tier.
:( That's not true... Marth is high tier, not top.

Anyways... Link is a solid character and there's a lot of cool stuff that you can do with him, but honestly, there're a lot of other things that you can't do with him.

So ummm... go Link! <_<

*ninjaskill: flee!*

Spife

Smash Master
You don't need to main Link but why would you use him if he wasn't your best? Unless you main another low tier I doubt their are any match ups that he'd be good in that your main wouldn't be better in >.>

Skler

Smash Master
I play Link mainly because I'm really bad with every other character I've ever tried to use. I practice with other characters a lot more than I do with Link, I use them in friendlies all I can (except at tournies, when I need to warm up my Link), but Link has been my best character for a while and still is.

I think I've character counter picked successfully a total of two times in my entire smash career.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
Well, I guess the reason I main this beautiful, blue bird... is because back in the N64 days, I really did love his attitude, while fox was doing the mission, falco would jus be like " EH YO B, EF DAT SHEET" and do his own thing. I was a Ganon main, and always said.. "I really wish i could main falco, he's sick" but i never gave him the chance. After watching "You got Shiz'd on" that inspired me to pick up that blue bird. <3

oh wait, my bad.. wrong thread.

edit: spife, ahem! you mentioned roman in your falcon description, but my name is not in your falco description.. WHYYY?

yup, i'm jealous, and i hate you, no teenies for you at mm9.

Spife

Smash Master
Oh 3x you silly billy. I mentioned Roman cause he actually plays me. Pwnd.

randyman400

Smash Rookie
Another link main, I once attempted to main Marth. I practiced for about a month and I wasn't bad, but he paled in comparison to my Link. It's the projectiles. I love being able to limit the enemy's movements and force them to fight at my tempo. I'm also a fan of the balance between his close range and his long range.

Spife

Smash Master
Ugh, in an attempt to work projectile spam out of my system, I pull about 4 projectiles per stock now. Could be worse I guess (pulling them in my opponents **** radius is the habbit I need to break next)

Skler

Smash Master
You shouldn't work projectile spam out of your system. It's healthy, just boring. Avoid doing it in friendlies unless the other person wants to play against your best, but do it in tournies whenever you can.

Spife

Smash Master
Yeah well I need to work out pulling projectiles in close range (AT BAD TIMES..) so I did that by getting projectile spam out...anywho it's not that hard to do (or it's harder not to do) so yeah.

Edit: Throwing as many projectiles and making a wall is the projectile spam you mean right?

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Link may not be the best character in melee, but if you're a talented ssbm player you can totally destroy just about any matchup with him, he has a lot of options, disjointed hitboxes, good recovery..

I dunno link might not be the best character but hes far from the worst. If you spend enough time on him you can put good top tier players too shame, link has a lot of options and SSBM is all about predicting your opponent and psyching him out, which a good link player can do.

That being said I used to main link in SSBM but then switched to fox/falcon since they more suit my playstyle, my goal was always to main falcon though. He's the king

HiIH

Smash Lord
Skler said:
You shouldn't work projectile spam out of your system. It's healthy, just boring. Avoid doing it in friendlies unless the other person wants to play against your best, but do it in tournies whenever you can.
Psht, projectile spamming is fun, as long as you use bombs liberally.

Why is it so entertaining to hit someone 6 times in a row with bombs?

I mainly use my projectile spam for approaches, or to give me some breathing room.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
I main Link because of the "Scrah". But when I started getting into advance techs and working on Link I

found out that using Link is pretty fun. He's not the best character in SSBM but if you take your time

practising and fiding out your weak points(also solving it), you'll do be able to keep up with your

opponents and the top tiers.

CKaiser

Smash Apprentice
After playing someone like falco for a while I kinda realized how bad I was at predicting and how that kinda screwed me. My link just isn't fast enough to react to what people do I need to already be in the air with an attack out before they have a chance to do anything. Falco is just SOOOO much faster and punishing becomes so much easier, guess I need mindgames work

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
I played link because he was like the only character i even knew when I saw the ssbm roster, aside from the pokemon and mario characters I weren't really into. I wasn't a veteran gamer and knew everyone. Like who the hell is Captain Falcon, Ness, Fox, Ice Climbers and all these other people <_< So I just went with Link.

I've been using a lot of high-tiers lately, like Fox and use him for like all of my tournament matches, but if I know the person isn't that good after the first match, I might change to Link. It's funny if I don't know them and I see their reaction, and it's even funnier if it goes against their counter pick.

But I've been wanting to get my Link better, so I get in as much friendlies in tournaments against good people, and I think I might start using Link in tournaments more <_< Link is just too good.

Aesir

Smash Master
Man I started using link in 05 the beginning of my smash career I stuck by him even after I started to pick up marth. but really I just couldn't go back to link he just sucks his only redeeming qualities are disjointed hit box's and his nair and projectiles. He's slow and easily punishable.

He's definitely playable in tourneys his only true counter is shiek while fox and falco are just huge inconveniences.

anyway I used marth from 06 to today LOL

Spife

Smash Master
I think I can safely say I can relate to at least one point in everyones post.
Oh and Link is teh rox!

Spife

Smash Master
I play falco :)
Epic. A+ for effort man. You really got, not only the point of the thread, but the burning ecstatic experience that is playing Link competitively. This might be the best thing I've ever read, ever, and I've read the bible!

link6616

Smash Cadet
I play link because I love getting projectiles everywhere, and the 2nd best player in our group (who is unfortunately a long way away from me) mains samus, so it really, really spites him with the whole
Look at me standing still not taking any damage.

I'm not allowed to play with link often....

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I admit that I hadn't been so loyal to link in recent years b/c Falco and Marth just seem so much faster and aren't really pwned by Fox like Link is. But the other day, I could tell that I am much more comfortable with him to the point that despite Brawl screwing up my performance with any other character, I could play Link like I just got back from a tournament.

(disclaimer: exaggeration used)

game set

Smash Apprentice
if you work hard enough to close all of your opponents options, as well as finding the best option for you opponents openings, you continue to find increasingly amazing ways to **** your opponents. I play many characters, alot, but i always look forward to playing link.

Top Bottom