• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why isnt melee HUGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SDC

Smash Lord
Dude, you wouldn't believe the reasons I've heard for people having their given "favorite character" icons. That doesn't say a whole lot to me.

For future reference: In written communication, sarcasm does not work (unless you're an author who's established a voice over the course of a few chapters of a novel). Please try to avoid it. No need to call me a ******. I thought you were a Halo fanboy; you're not; we agree; chill.
correction, sarcasm does work in print. you may not have the tone or inflection in the person's voice, but you have other signs and indicators. when for instance, the person obviously overemphasizes the point they are making, as i did. i used an obscene amount of emoticons, i made obviously ridiculous statements, and repeated them matter of a factly. also i made some sort of laughing phrase afterwards (lol, rofl, lmao) to indicate i was laughing at my own statement. of course theres also the fact that i had posted multiple times on this same thread saying how much i loved melee and why other (stupid) people didnt like it, but of course expecting somebody to actually read a few of the pages in the thread before they post inside it is asking a little much:dizzy:...

hamonyou

Smash Cadet
i dont mind brawl, but its bad becuase wiis are way more expensive than gamecube and thats probably why there is still a really strong melee fanbase

SDC

Smash Lord
"First, halo fanboys is a huge generalization that I'm almost positive you're wrong about"

no. halo fanboys is a huge generation of stupid people that im NOT wrong about. i know alot of these people. they are stupid.

"In my eyes, people being too _____ to comprehend something is the same as something being incomprehensible. The definition of "too deep (to play)" depends on its audience; that's like saying yao ming isn't TOO tall, everyone else is TOO short"

true, quality of a game and intellect of an individual playing the game are both relative, and are both possible. however, the relationship between game and intellect of individual playing it is not relative. i have complete confidence in saying that the relationship of intellect and quality of game go up and down in a positive correlation. positive correlation means that they both go up and down together. as in if the quality of the game goes up, the intellect of an individual will also go up. halo is a ****ty, mindless game, thus the players of it are mostly stupid. the quality of the game is substandard, so the intellect of the players is all substandard.
both are possible, however due to this positive correlation of quality/intellegence of game and and intellect of player, the stupidity of halo users is a sure fact.

and yes they are stupid. i know many of them. they are all stupid.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I play halo, and my roommate from college plays halo as well, and i highly resent that statement.

ANY form of generalization toward a specific group of people, is wrong morally and factually incorrect.

Just because all your friends are mindless neanderthals and they play halo, that means nothing in relation to the total sum of people that play halo

joeplicate

Smash Master
"First, halo fanboys is a huge generalization that I'm almost positive you're wrong about"

no. halo fanboys is a huge generation of stupid people that im NOT wrong about. i know alot of these people. they are stupid.

"In my eyes, people being too _____ to comprehend something is the same as something being incomprehensible. The definition of "too deep (to play)" depends on its audience; that's like saying yao ming isn't TOO tall, everyone else is TOO short"

true, quality of a game and intellect of an individual playing the game are both relative, and are both possible. however, the relationship between game and intellect of individual playing it is not relative. i have complete confidence in saying that the relationship of intellect and quality of game go up and down in a positive correlation. positive correlation means that they both go up and down together. as in if the quality of the game goes up, the intellect of an individual will also go up. halo is a ****ty, mindless game, thus the players of it are mostly stupid. the quality of the game is substandard, so the intellect of the players is all substandard.
both are possible, however due to this positive correlation of quality/intellegence of game and and intellect of player, the stupidity of halo users is a sure fact.

and yes they are stupid. i know many of them. they are all stupid.
you are sooooooooo cool

channlsrfr

Smash Apprentice
correction, sarcasm does work in print. you may not have the tone or inflection in the person's voice, but you have other signs and indicators. when for instance, the person obviously overemphasizes the point they are making, as i did. i used an obscene amount of emoticons, i made obviously ridiculous statements, and repeated them matter of a factly. also i made some sort of laughing phrase afterwards (lol, rofl, lmao) to indicate i was laughing at my own statement. of course theres also the fact that i had posted multiple times on this same thread saying how much i loved melee and why other (stupid) people didnt like it, but of course expecting somebody to actually read a few of the pages in the thread before they post inside it is asking a little much:dizzy:...
Actually, I read the whole thread before I posted. That's probably my mistake; it's a huge thread, and I tend to lull into speed-reading -- user name tends to be the first thing I blank out on.

Regarding the emoticons and "rofl"s, etc. -- those devices are just as inept as your Mew2 icon, because -- again -- I've seen people use them to emphasize their point (they direct the "lmao" as an insult to the people they're criticizing ... like, they're laughing at the other people and not at their own words). It's hard to tell the difference between someone who is being sarcastic and someone who is genuinely stupid. I know now that you're the former and not the latter. So -- if you can stop patronizing me -- we're cool.

I agree that sarcasm *****, guys. I'm just saying, if you want to use it in written form, prepare to accept occasional misinterpretation.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Actually, I read the whole thread before I posted. That's probably my mistake; it's a huge thread, and I tend to lull into speed-reading -- user name tends to be the first thing I blank out on.

Regarding the emoticons and "rofl"s, etc. -- those devices are just as inept as your Mew2 icon, because -- again -- I've seen people use them to emphasize their point (they direct the "lmao" as an insult to the people they're criticizing ... like, they're laughing at the other people and not at their own words). It's hard to tell the difference between someone who is being sarcastic and someone who is genuinely stupid. I know now that you're the former and not the latter. So -- if you can stop patronizing me -- we're cool.

I agree that sarcasm *****, guys. I'm just saying, if you want to use it in written form, prepare to accept occasional misinterpretation.
tl;dr version: All sarcasm is lost over the internets.

SDC

Smash Lord

I agree that sarcasm *****, guys. I'm just saying, if you want to use it in written form, prepare to be misinterpreted.
lol sorry for the patronization friend, and yes i should have remembered the people who actually do think that ****. however, i have used those same tactics to attempt sarcasm on other forums, and many others have interpreted it as such, so i just thought you and others would do the same. anyway, i am thinkin this thread has outlived its usefulness, but of course it will probably live on for a while more...

channlsrfr

Smash Apprentice
that last one, I think, was a very, very bad example of sarcasm

and yeah I'm calling you out for it ******
I actually wasn't sarcastic about anything in that post (I practice what I preach -- yay!). Maybe the word "occasional" ... is that what you mean? ******? :chuckle:

lol sorry for the patronization friend, and yes i should have remembered the people who actually do think that ****. however, i have used those same tactics to attempt sarcasm on other forums, and many others have interpreted it as such, so i just thought you and others would do the same. anyway, i am thinkin this thread has outlived its usefulness, but of course it will probably live on for a while more...
No worries ... As you can see from my post count and join date, I don't frequent these forums (or any, for that matter) ... so I have little experience in the department of differentiation between the two aforementioned classes, anyway.

Oh, this thread has *definitely* outlived its usefulness -- but now is our time to roam and pillage it like Earth in nuclear winter.

Side-note: I *do* appreciate your style of humor, as displayed in your post entitled, "Halo is dumb and I am objectively right." Well done.

Cam3ron

Smash Cadet
So yeah it pretty much boils down to melee being too complicated for beginners to want to get into imo

Kochiha Ichihara

Smash Apprentice
Halo 3: apparently has some form of skill beyond grabbing a sword and rocket launcher then camping on a tiny stage.
Brawl: designed for people with the kind of minds that elected Chocolate Milk Obama (in other words, designed for extremely degenerative minds that jump at whatever shallow yet visually spectacular source of appeal that jumps at them).

Bottom line: Melee's just too good for the unthinking majority that populates the world today.

=P.

Smash Apprentice
I would just like to throw out there that i recently entered a tournament after repicking up melee after a sort reprieve and placed 4th, beating out some avearge players and holding my own against players like watty, and i must say it was intense and i couldnt ahve had more fun even being demolished by drephen...that being said my friend and i were bored so we decided to enter the brawl tournament mind u i havent played brawl in close to a year...and somehow managed to come in 3rd all i can say is wtf that shows how low-level the competitive scene is when some1 can just jump in like that i will give it that it wasnt a big tournament but it still made me cry a little on the inside..but yet again i must say the money was nice

tl;dr melee is awesome, brawl is stoopid, but brawl is like free money if good/average melee players practiced ever once in a while

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
Halo 3: apparently has some form of skill beyond grabbing a sword and rocket launcher then camping on a tiny stage.
Brawl: designed for people with the kind of minds that elected Chocolate Milk Obama (in other words, designed for extremely degenerative minds that jump at whatever shallow yet visually spectacular source of appeal that jumps at them).

Bottom line: Melee's just too good for the unthinking majority that populates the world today.
Whoa there.
inb4****storm2

DrewB008

Smash Lord
kochiha i remember when you used to post all the time and you posted some of the dumbest **** i've ever seen

then you were like "it's gonna be different this time" then referred to barack obama as chocolate milk obama

youre just so stupid when it comes to making an impression on people

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i

I usually dont do this but i'm gonna go on a limb and say that was one of the more dumber posts that ive read in this this forum.
I supposed you should be president. Oh and before anyone blames the writer yes that was extreme sarcasm.

joeplicate

Smash Master
Wow, I've said nothing mean to you, and now I'm dumb. Okay, joeplicate, whatever you say.
I think I thought you made a bad post but it was someone else

No, here it is
I was referring to sean's god-awful post when I called it a very bad example of sarcasm
and then you said it wasn't sarcastic, and I thought you said it lol

my bad

*****Also, PLEASE read this post that I made on the last page before you start saying things like "melee is obv. to deep for every1 to play" without offering any proof.*****

I spent a lot of time constructing my position, posted it, and then got ***** by someone else changing the page with a new post like ten seconds later. I feel like not a lot of people saw it. =\

SDC

Smash Lord
@joeplicate
"sean's god-aweful post"

lol what god-awful post, because you cant recognize sarcasm its a bad post?

@Kochiha Ichihara
"chocolate milk obama"

whats your problem? really. whats your ****ing problem? what is so dam bad about obama?

lol somebody please lock this stupid thread, before it degenerates completely into name-calling and racial epithets.
somebody lock this thread. i said before, this thread is repetitive and pointless. lock it.

Ja

Smash Journeyman
Brawl made the melee community's average skill level a lot higher. Before brawl came out I would win 1 to 2 tournament matches. After brawl came out, I would go to tournaments and win 0 matches. It really seems like most of the people who weren't that good at melee, quit playing once brawl came out.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
Brawl made the melee community's average skill level a lot higher. Before brawl came out I would win 1 to 2 tournament matches. After brawl came out, I would go to tournaments and win 0 matches. It really seems like most of the people who weren't that good at melee, quit playing once brawl came out.
that's a very hilarious fact. Especially in the south.

Dunno how many times i've heard that topic come up.

=P.

Smash Apprentice
Haha focus cancel in columbus..and while i know that is not a true face value of skill level in brawl.. i noticed that all u really need is spacing, a projectile helps, and good observation of ur opponent and u can hold ur own

altho this doesnt help my arguement at all i will say that the two who beat me beat me quite badly, but i would hope that all who entered would be as big of a threat considering the lenght of time in which i havent touched the game, and brawl is fun just not at the same level as melee in either fun or competitiveness at least imo but i plan on attending more tournaments and hopefully proven wrong, bcuz id love to eat my own words of brawl being less competitive

SDC

Smash Lord
Haha focus cancel in columbus..and while i know that is not a true face value of skill level in brawl.. i noticed that all u really need is spacing, a projectile helps, and good observation of ur opponent and u can hold ur own

altho this doesnt help my arguement at all i will say that the two who beat me beat me quite badly, but i would hope that all who entered would be as big of a threat considering the lenght of time in which i havent touched the game, and brawl is fun just not at the same level as melee in either fun or competitiveness at least imo but i plan on attending more tournaments and hopefully proven wrong, bcuz id love to eat my own words of brawl being less competitive
you're going to go hungry, because your not going to be eating any words lol. brawl is not nearly as competitive as melee. end of story lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom