• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why isnt melee HUGE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
I'm going to rely on the talk of the top Florida ICs, who has actually went to Brawl tournaments an attempted to get the infinite throw off on real players.
Also, I have not talked trash this entire thread, as opposed to you, so please refrain from saying anything I have done is talked '****'
The point of that Gif was to show that there are more mindgames in Brawl than just spacing. Its the equivalent of me saying that all Melee mindgames are just wavedashes.
Once again, the video is a bad example. Its a weak mind game at best. Find a better video.. or don't use visual tools.

Now you are expanding the argument. Actually getting off chain grabs in tourneys is harder. Because you have to land that initial grab, which is much harder to do now that the ic don't have such a broken wave dash. However, the act itself of doing the chain grab once you get the grab off is not very hard. Consult lain about that **** if you don't believe me. The difficulty is getting that initial grab... not doing the chain grab. Wtf... do i have to teach you how to play brawl now too?

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Actually getting off chain grabs in tourneys is harder. Because you have to land that initial grab, which is much harder to do now that the ic don't have such a broken wave dash. However, the act itself of doing the chain grab once you get the grab off is not very hard. Consult lain about that **** if you don't believe me. The difficulty is getting that initial grab... not doing the chain grab. Wtf... do i have to teach you how to play brawl now too?
Perhaps that's what the player meant. Next time I train with him, I'll ask him.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
I'm going to rely on the talk of the top Florida ICs, who has actually went to Brawl tournaments an attempted to get the infinite throw off on real players.
Also, I have not talked trash this entire thread, as opposed to you, so please refrain from saying anything I have done is talked '****'
The point of that Gif was to show that there are more mindgames in Brawl than just spacing. Its the equivalent of me saying that all Melee mindgames are just wavedashes.

Pseduo combos are combos that can be escaped and are out of hitstun. Why does smash NEED combos to be a competitive game? Answer this.
STOP SAYING I SAID THAT BRAWL/ SMASH isnt competitive.
Oh and when you said melee mindgame revolved around wavedashes It made you look more ignorant. I said it was a follow up which brawl doesnt even have Also when has any one heard the defition of a psudo combo thats just a word you made up.

On most, the DDD chaingrab is not an infinite, and it only works on 4 of them around 200%, thus is pointless to attempt. There is no point for wind underneath the character for any reason other than the chaingrab.
What does this sentence mean. Again prove that it was designed to be a combo. The responsiblity of evidence falls on you.

Just because you don't say, That's a fact, doesn't mean you aren't presenting your opinion as a fact. What evidence do you have that I have not read this thread? None. Other than I do not agree with you.
I have evidence when i pulled a segement on my earlier posts and told you what i said and you suddenly went quiet also you keep on saying i said brawl isnt competitive. I asked you to quote me on this and you have failed to do so.
YOU DONT READ.

Actually, yes, you were arguing when I came in
That stated TWO POST UP when you brawl buddy decided to troll in on our thread.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Oh and when you said melee mindgame revolved around wavedashes It made you look more ignorant. I said it was a follow up which brawl doesnt even have Also when has any one heard the defition of a psudo combo thats just a word you made up.
I didn't say that at all. I said that they don't need what other competitive games have to be competitive. Some don't even consider them fighters.

What does this sentence mean. Again prove that it was designed to be a combo. The responsiblity of evidence falls on you.
Either you are confusing two things here.
1, the only charecter that can be true infinited by DDD is Donkey Kong. Because of his resistance to the wind that DDD creates. all other grabs only last to the edge.
2. DDD can infinite grab DDD, and at 200% can infinite Samus, Mario, and Luigi (though its incredibly annoying to try to do so, he slides so much so fast hahaha). Bowser can be small stepped if you want to count that.

If not that, there is wind underneath the DDD downthrow that hits the characters, keeping them from falling directly below DDD, as in the GnW downthrow, making it a true chaingrab.
I don't see a problem with the chain grab at all. Marth can handle it just fine, despite his over all weakness of getting gimp. The only characters who are ***** by the chain grab are ***** by it because they lack the tools to avoid it, such as Wolf, Link, and Ganon.

ScoobyCafe

Smash Journeyman
You guys want a bigger community, stop acting hostile to your potential market (Brawl players).
Can't even begin to tell you how long I've been saying this. Yeah, this hurts Melee. It literally seems like people are trying to make themselves feel superior by acting "jock-like" all while condemning Brawl and ridiculing those who play Brawl. It's stupid. It shouldn't bother us at all.

At the same time, though, I have noticed that there's a few Brawl players who, for whatever reason, beat their chest and talk **** about the Melee community. I dunno, the smash community as a whole is kinda on the dumb side. This isn't high school or some **** like that.

Pseduo combos are combos that can be escaped and are out of hitstun. Why does smash NEED combos to be a competitive game? Answer this.
It's not needed, but WOULD benefit Smash Bros. in the long haul, competitive-wise.

Despite what it was intended to be, Smash Bros. is considered to be a fighting game―it's even classified as such. Combos are considered to be an indispensable element in gameplay for mostly every fighting game since Street Fighter II. It takes priority in most fighting games because it adds a vital layer of depth to said games―depth being one of the main components which constitutes for keeping the interests of a competitive gamer. It's relatively easy for a competitive gamer to feel detached or become not nearly as interested in the game without [combos], thus the game fades rather quickly.

I've heard of the term since Street Fighter III was released, actually.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
I didn't say that at all. I said that they don't need what other competitive games have to be competitive. Some don't even consider them fighters.
Look you saying that why do games have to have combos to be compettive then quoting me insinuates that i said that brawl isnt competitive without them which is wrong. Though combos offer risk/reward situations. which make games with Battling in them more competitive.

saying some is more competitive=/= saying something isnt competitive

Either you are confusing two things here.
1, the only charecter that can be true infinited by DDD is Donkey Kong. Because of his resistance to the wind that DDD creates. all other grabs only last to the edge.
2. DDD can infinite grab DDD, and at 200% can infinite Samus, Mario, and Luigi (though its incredibly annoying to try to do so, he slides so much so fast hahaha). Bowser can be small stepped if you want to count that.

If not that, there is wind underneath the DDD downthrow that hits the characters, keeping them from falling directly below DDD, as in the GnW downthrow, making it a true chaingrab.
I don't see a problem with the chain grab at all. Marth can handle it just fine, despite his over all weakness of getting gimp. The only characters who are ***** by the chain grab are ***** by it because they lack the tools to avoid it, such as Wolf, Link, and Ganon.
so to some of the cast its a infinite. I notice your arguements are getting smaller and smaller. Also you have to cherry pick more.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
Honestly, I have no problem with Melee, and I am attempting to learn it. Its fun, just in a different way than Brawl is. I did not bash Melee in any way during this thread, and my sole reason for posting was to get people to ease up on Brawl players, and make a more friendly attempt to convert them. We can still play two games.

Also, ScoobyCafe, I believe what you say is true and does apply to Smash Brothers, to some extent. Of course, Smash has other elements outside of hitting your opponent that adds to the depth of the game. Brawl has recently extended its combo game by applying the footstools, buffering, and many other odd things the game employs, adding to its depth exceedingly in the last 2 months. Its not to the depth of Melee for sure, but its come a long way from what we had even 5 months ago.

so to some of the cast its a infinite. I notice your arguements are getting smaller and smaller. Also you have to cherry pick more.
I avoided the personal attacks in the last post and just responded to the Smash releated arguments.

Oh, and I never said Melee revolved around Wavedashing, I said that saying Brawl's mindgames only were about spacing, was the equivalent of me saying Melee revolved around wavedashing.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Honestly, I have no problem with Melee, and I am attempting to learn it. Its fun, just in a different way than Brawl is. I did not bash Melee in any way during this thread, and my sole reason for posting was to get people to ease up on Brawl players, and make a more friendly attempt to convert them. We can still play two games.

Also, ScoobyCafe, I believe what you say is true and does apply to Smash Brothers, to some extent. Of course, Smash has other elements outside of hitting your opponent that adds to the depth of the game. Brawl has recently extended its combo game by applying the footstools, buffering, and many other odd things the game employs, adding to its depth exceedingly in the last 2 months. Its not to the depth of Melee for sure, but its come a long way from what we had even 5 months ago.

I avoided the personal attacks in the last post and just responded to the Smash releated arguments.

Oh, and I never said Melee revolved around Wavedashing, I said that saying Brawl's mindgames only were about spacing, was the equivalent of me saying Melee revolved around wavedashing.
Asking for information related to what I...I my self said int this thread is a personal attack on you?

cutter

Smash Champion
Its cause brawl people want to try and shove their community down our throats.

This is just like the thread where we were trying to gain approval from srk.

With trolling and lack of reading ability included. (from the brawl side)
You guys are just as guilty as the Brawl side. Why else did the mods do a massive crackdown on Brawl/Melee debates?

Both sides need to learn what "peaceful coexistence" means.

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
So much hate..

This thread propels the hate and separation of both communities, at the very least continues it.

As I started reading through this thread, It transformed from an inquiry to a flame war and this is honestly just absurd. Why is this still going on?

D

Deleted member

So much hate..

This thread propels the hate and separation of both communities, at the very least continues it.

As I started reading through this thread, It transformed from an inquiry to a flame war and this is honestly just absurd. Why is this still going on?
I would just like to quote this to reemphasize how important this point really is. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on each game. Constantly bickering over each game makes this community look like trash. It is also a waste of time. I have seen less than 5 people "converted" from one game to another in all of my time spent in the smash community.
Complaining about characters and tiers is the exact same way. It is really no different than 5-year old kids throwing tantrums about which game or which character they like best. Get the **** over tiers and characters and match ups and just play the game for what it is. If you don't enjoy playing the Super Smash brothers series because of the differences of the three games, character balance issues, tier lists, match ups, and everything else that is constantly complained and whined about on Smashboards then you should quit and try to find a different game to play competitively.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
So much hate..

Theres no hate.
hate=/=seperation=/= indifference

The thread was made we had reason why melee isnt huge. Like it or not brawl is one of those reasons. Some of us inched out our opinions about brawl. Suddenly for some idiotic reason people from the brawl boards thought that was the green light to turn this into a "why do you hate our game, its good" rant. No one was trying to debate. They also made stupid claims like
"you want to beat upon us cause we play brawl"
" you said brawl isnt competitive"
"brawl is just like melee"
"brawl is on the same competitive level as everything else"
" the games system is really good"
"you guys think melee techs make it one of the deepest fighters"

MOST OF THEM DIDNT READ the thread and decided to put their 2 cents.

Mostly everyone (including myself told them that they can do what they want), said multiple times PLAY WHAT YOU WANT. We dont care about them enough to want to hate them. But we think the game is trash. Appearntly they got butt hurt, and tried to convince us to say that their game was good (which was a futile effort)

Truthfully they were sticking their noses in our thread without rationale (or reading comprehension) and wondered why they got ****ted on
Trufully there are deeper fighters out there. By that genres standards/popular opinion brawl isnt a good game.
also (dna instant) said two posts above me..

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on each game.
QFT

SDC

Smash Lord
edit: Na, nevermind. lol
thats awesome, the intense flaming was so hot not even the mod could touch it:p

this thread has become quite entertaining, and for the sake of my own happiness i hope to see more blood spilt soon, but im just going to throw out there that i was one of the original melee players, played brawl for a year, then went back to melee cuz i was sick of brawl. brawl is different in the fact that you cant combo ****. i got sick of playing a fighting game that was nothing more then a colorful slapfight: it turns into a slow paced series of monotonous clashes where you and the opponent cant combo or do much else other then just exchange blows until the game decides that one of you landed a particularly cheap one (shuttleloop aarrrgghh), and KOs the char who was on the receiving end. im stating this same crap again because i was pissed when i read:

@CRASHiC
"why does smash need combos to be competitive"

that is a particularly stupid question (and is a common one made by brawl apologists), and as much as it deserves a stupid answer (like, "because i dunno it makes it fun", or maybe "cuz there's more to life then chaingrabs and spacing") i will agree with you. thats right crashic i am agreeing with you. but you know what, lets not stop there, if smash (a fighting game) doesnt need combos, then why the *** does a shooting game need guns???? you've inspired me crashic, i think im going to petition microsoft to take all the guns out of the next halo game. i dont know how well it'll go over though, i think they might look at me like im fuking insane, kind of like how im looking at you right now. see when you ask a question like, "does a fighting game need combos" you kind of call into question one of the key fundamentals of the fighting game genre. its like asking whether or not a michael bay movie should have explosions, the answer of course is that when you take those away, his story, characters, and plot are so goddam ****ty that theres nothing left and consequently no point in seeing the movie. kind of like brawl. it has no combos, no real flow, so when you have that taken away, you are left with a bunch of friendly, fluffy, colorful, sesame street-looking characters slapping each other as they emit high-pitched squeals and yells. theres not much of a reason to play the game now, is there? you see, taking combos out is like saying, "im going to make a new star wars movie, but heres a genius idea: no lightsabers!!! dam aren't i revolutionary??"
No, you are not. you are a moron.

im sorry for the sarcasm, but hell im just so dam sick of these brawl fanboys asking me "whats so special about combos anyway", its just a pretty fuking stupid question.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
-laughs- Samuel L is my hero.

Na, not at all. I was just about to use some somewhat pointless info. I mean my s**t blows up with everybody talking about m2k beating mango, then I go and look and find out it's only crews.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
so wait...smash bros was supposed to be a PARTY GAME?!
apparently, yes. the first game for N64 was intended as such. when the sequel came out, it was supposed to be one too, but apparently HAL made the game deep enough so that it was classified as a fighting game, as well. when Brawl came out, Sakurai removed most of the competitiveness to try and turn it into a party game again. But what messes up this theory of his is that Sakurai himself considers Smash as a SPORTS GAME. Which means that it has to be competitive to work. I mean for example, look at sports games. are they competitive? yes. what do we get when they are not competitive? the "ALL-Play" series.remember that? of course not. next thing they'll start saying that Mario Kart isn't a racing game.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
I wouldn't say melee is dead or complete. We STILL have combos happen that make people go OMG, we still have WTF I didn't know you could do that moments, and the game's 8 years old. I say its not dead because we still have lots of people playing it, and still decently large tourneys. Why does Genesis, the self proclaimed largest tourney ever also have tons of melee entrants? Why is the time for Pound 4 equally split between melee and brawl? Its because melee still has plenty of people playing. If anything, melee popularity is growing. Let me give you MD/VA as an example. When brawl came out, tons of MD/VAers dropped melee entirely. Chillin, Chu, greg, etc. Everyone who was around before brawl now plays either melee exclusively or both games, with a very few exceptions. We have tons of good players still playing. This isn't a Halo 2 to Halo 3 transition, where all the good players moved to Halo 3 because MLG was backing it, we have huge communities for both games.

But why the hell is this thread comparing melee to brawl? In the melee boards? The thread was made to ask why smash (in specific melee) wasn't in MLG. That's been discussed. I made a huge post about it. How about some mod shuts this down because the thread has deteriorated into another dumb melee v. brawl thread. In fact I can't figure out why the people who hate melee were in this thread to begin with, considering its on the melee boards, and doesn't mention brawl in the title, and the point of the thread didn't have anything to do with brawl.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
@CRASHiC
"why does smash need combos to be competitive"

that is a particularly stupid question (and is a common one made by brawl apologists), and as much as it deserves a stupid answer (like, "because i dunno it makes it fun", or maybe "cuz there's more to life then chaingrabs and spacing") i will agree with you. thats right crashic i am agreeing with you. but you know what, lets not stop there, if smash (a fighting game) doesnt need combos, then why the *** does a shooting game need guns???? you've inspired me crashic, i think im going to petition microsoft to take all the guns out of the next halo game. i dont know how well it'll go over though, i think they might look at me like im fuking insane, kind of like how im looking at you right now. see when you ask a question like, "does a fighting game need combos" you kind of call into question one of the key fundamentals of the fighting game genre. its like asking whether or not a michael bay movie should have explosions, the answer of course is that when you take those away, his story, characters, and plot are so goddam ****ty that theres nothing left and consequently no point in seeing the movie. kind of like brawl. it has no combos, no real flow, so when you have that taken away, you are left with a bunch of friendly, fluffy, colorful, sesame street-looking characters slapping each other as they emit high-pitched squeals and yells. theres not much of a reason to play the game now, is there? you see, taking combos out is like saying, "im going to make a new star wars movie, but heres a genius idea: no lightsabers!!! dam aren't i revolutionary??"
No, you are not. you are a moron.
Summary: JUST CAUSE!
I loved it when Muhamd Ali Li pulled off that great true combo against his opponents. OH WAIT. That was a pseudo combo, as all true fights have.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Fighting games don't "need" combos. It's just one way to reward a player for investing energy in learning something with some significant level of mechanical difficulty and being able to pull it off in the heat of the moment. Samurai Showdown, for example, is supposed to be more about hard pokes for punishing and pressure. While they play a significant enough part in Street Fighter, in SF2 more of the game comes down to projectile zoning/getting in for the grab with most characters.

Brawl doesn't have a flow? Whatever.

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Now that I think about it, Bushido Blade was designed like that. it was designed to focus on timed attacks.

also, awesome my 200th post

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Technically the game doesn't need combos, but in tying this into the ACTUAL topic, which all of you forgot, it makes it more entertaining to watch.

In brawl, you hit your opponents alot. I'm not saying the game is unskilled or can't be competitive, but I don't have as much fun watching it or playing it. You can play melee like you play brawl. You can play with alot of spacing and getting hits and then and eventually getting them off the stage and getting a KO. Nothing wrong with that, it's another way to play the game. But it's not what people like to see.

Think of the set Darkrain vs. Cactuar. Darkrain lost 3-1. Foruth game Cactuar completely dominated him, getting a JV 4 stock. But listen to the crowd/commentary during that last match. Nothing. Cactuar hits darkrain a lot, and then edge guards him. By all rights taking three stocks without a scratch, everyone should have been yelling. But they didn't. Know what they did yell for? Darkrains **** combo in the third game(yes, some of it was tech chasing, but for all intents and purposes it was a combo because cactus didn't have a chance to retaliate).

In your heart of hearts, you know that a moonwalk knee into another knee into uthrow uair uair weak knee knee is a hell of a lot cooler looking than the whorenado several times and then some aerials randomly hitting and then a dsmash.

That's the spirit of melee. Doing stuff that looks cool. Why else would we do shine bairs with fox? They're actually bad considering if you do it above the stage the shine could let them smash DI and therefore live longer, and below the stage a shine alone would have killed them, but they are coveted because they are hard to do and look smexy.

Anyways if you care so much about brawl vs. melee, can you take it somewhere else? I liked debating the original point of this thread, and then you guys came and ruined it.

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Coveting something that's difficult and impractical is not something that helps Smash. Nobody in any fighting game community is supposed to play for the crowd before they play for themselves. We cast down alternative strategies on close-minded grounds. If somebody plays runaway or defense to win, they shouldn't get an ounce of crap for it. The spirit of a competition should never have anything to do with looking the coolest in the room=winner.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
This topic is not on why Melee isn't huge anymore, it seems. It looks to now be on why is/isn't Brawl considered a competitive game.

But as a response to the OP, I think the Melee WAS huge, but now is just very big, due to the fact that the evolution of the metagame is in a bit of a slump. Not a big slowdown (or on to a halt), but it's progressing slower than how it did say.... a couple of years ago, or last year. That's a reason on why I believe Brawl is getting a 51-49 tourney scene against Melee (now this somewhat ties in the the "new topic"). Brawl had only come out like what? 2 years ago? And as such, there's a strong possibility that the metagame hasn't been milked to what it's worth. Think of Wario's change in tier position. From 8 to 3 in one setting. Many professionals are (probably) interested in milking this for what it's worth due to the relative "newness" of the game rather than its predecessor.

I dunno, that's prolly just me. Hopefully this post of mine doesn't start yet another debate. ¬_¬;

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
You learn combos later. Play smart first.

A game DOES need hit stun though because theorectically if you had no hit stun then its just two opponents hittting each other back and forth. Melee has suitable hitstun which is more then i can say for a certain other smash game.

Hitting back and forth is basically a turn based game something of a different roar then a fighter. If you want a turn based game
play pokemon or final fantasy lol.

Tying that into the topic scrubs, turtlers and spammers/campers fear combos.
They fear melee. Some will rise to the challenge
*have at you!*

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
This topic is not on why Melee isn't huge anymore, it seems. It looks to now be on why is/isn't Brawl considered a competitive game.

But as a response to the OP, I think the Melee WAS huge, but now is just very big, due to the fact that the evolution of the metagame is in a bit of a slump. Not a big slowdown (or on to a halt), but it's progressing slower than how it did say.... a couple of years ago, or last year. That's a reason on why I believe Brawl is getting a 51-49 tourney scene against Melee (now this somewhat ties in the the "new topic"). Brawl had only come out like what? 2 years ago? And as such, there's a strong possibility that the metagame hasn't been milked to what it's worth. Think of Wario's change in tier position. From 8 to 3 in one setting. Many professionals are (probably) interested in milking this for what it's worth due to the relative "newness" of the game rather than its predecessor.

I dunno, that's prolly just me. Hopefully this post of mine doesn't start yet another debate. ¬_¬;
That's not even what the original topic was. It wasn't asking why isn't melee as big as brawl, it's why isn't melee big as a video game. Ie, why was smash dropped by MLG. I addressed that a while ago.

Coveting something that's difficult and impractical is not something that helps Smash. Nobody in any fighting game community is supposed to play for the crowd before they play for themselves. We cast down alternative strategies on close-minded grounds. If somebody plays runaway or defense to win, they shouldn't get an ounce of crap for it. The spirit of a competition should never have anything to do with looking the coolest in the room=winner.
As to playing to win being more important than crowd pleasing, that's of course true. But what is crowd pleasing is also often very good. Captain falcon comboing is part of captain falcon. How often do you see a falcon without combos doing well?

You don't. Every player in melee hits combos at some point, even if they're not very often (depends on the character). Combos are almost never BAD. They are usually a positive. The shine bair was just an example of the value of entertainment. How could a 0 to death combo ever be bad?

Your argument is therefore valid but doesn't counter my argument. You can play to win and still be amazing to watch. You can't do that in brawl. Again, that doesn't make it uncompetetive, that makes it less likely that a gaming organization like MLG would pick it up, which again is what this topic was originally for.

Basically what I'm saying is with brawl you can be competitive. With melee you can be competitive and also be crowd pleasing at the same time. How does MLG make money? As a brand name, and by picking up people who want to watch the games, but don't necessarily play the game. If a game is more entertaining to watch, it's more likely to be picked up by MLG. Therefore, melee is more viable for MLG than brawl.

MarioMariox2

Smash Ace
NNID
KunehoKun
3DS FC
0748-3131-6459
Good point. I suppose the reason my t'was taken off of MLG then is well... Look at the MLG '09 lineup. Pretty much all the games are FPSs. Prolly just what they deem is the most: eye-catching, popular, or some "et cetera" thing.

SDC

Smash Lord
Summary: JUST CAUSE!
I loved it when Muhamd Ali Li pulled off that great true combo against his opponents. OH WAIT. That was a pseudo combo, as all true fights have.
did you not understand the many metaphors i threw at you? maybe masmasher is right, maybe you don't actually read anything.... let me repeat it for you. melee is halo like it is now. brawl is halo with no guns. its just grenades and melee attacks. pretty ****ing boring. and also not a shooter, as brawl isn't really a fighting game. it wasn't made to be a fighting game. sakurai took out key aspects and threw in more items in the attempt to make it a party game. and dont say "proof, wheres the proof?!?! thats just your opinionz!!" have you not seen that a$$hole interviewed? he talks about making it so that no one really loses, so that people just have fun, no competition. he's out to make a game for your 5 year old's birthday party, not something to be played competitively.

lulz at the terrible boxing reference, if you actually knew **** about boxing you would have said mike tyson, if you want to try to apply the gaming word "combo" to a boxer and how he fought, it would have been him. not muhammad ali, he was all about "spacing" rofl. i suggest that before you make random pop culture references, you should probably know what the hell your talking about. i think its a pretty safe bet that you've never even seen a mike tyson or muhammad ali match in your life. before you do this i first suggest waiting till your nuts drop, then try and find a father figure, and let him show you some real sporting events, ok?
(p.s. i recommend Tyson vs golota for starters, its a good match from tyson)

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
did you not understand the many metaphors i threw at you? maybe masmasher is right, maybe you don't actually read anything.... let me repeat it for you. melee is halo like it is now. brawl is halo with no guns. its just grenades and melee attacks. pretty ****ing boring. and also not a shooter, as brawl isn't really a fighting game. it wasn't made to be a fighting game. sakurai took out key aspects and threw in more items in the attempt to make it a party game. and dont say "proof, wheres the proof?!?! thats just your opinionz!!" have you not seen that a$$hole interviewed? he talks about making it so that no one really loses, so that people just have fun, no competition. he's out to make a game for your 5 year old's birthday party, not something to be played competitively.

lulz at the terrible boxing reference, if you actually knew **** about boxing you would have said mike tyson, if you want to try to apply the gaming word "combo" to a boxer and how he fought, it would have been him. not muhammad ali, he was all about "spacing" rofl. i suggest that before you make random pop culture references, you should probably know what the hell your talking about. i think its a pretty safe bet that you've never even seen a mike tyson or muhammad ali match in your life. before you do this i first suggest waiting till your nuts drop, then try and find a father figure, and let him show you some real sporting events, ok?

Folks he does it again!
I gotta say... your on a roll this post was ***** hilarious

CRASHiC

Smash Hero

First off, I watch a lot of boxing. My point was that in real fights, there is no such thing as a true combo, only things your opponent fails to react too, which is a pseudo combo. Ali was the first to come to mind.

Secondly, you can not argue intention because the same intentions were put into Melee. Melee was intended to be played 4 free for all with items just as much with Brawl, denie this and you are a fool.

You do know that combos was originally a glitch, right? For someone who tells me that I am uninformed, I seriously doubt you know that combos in the original street fighter was nothing more than an accident.

Combos are not the essence of fighting games in the same way guns are. Hitting your opponent is the basics of fighting games. Combos were not in the very first fighting game (forgot the name). Your entire argument boils down too, I like combos, they are fun, they entertain me, they are fun to watch, which is NOT a valid reason to why all fighting games must have combos.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
First off, I watch a lot of boxing. My point was that in real fights, there is no such thing as a true combo, only things your opponent fails to react too, which is a pseudo combo. Ali was the first to come to mind.

Secondly, you can not argue intention because the same intentions were put into Melee. Melee was intended to be played 4 free for all with items just as much with Brawl, denie this and you are a fool.

You do know that combos was originally a glitch, right? For someone who tells me that I am uninformed, I seriously doubt you know that combos in the original street fighter was nothing more than an accident.

Combos are not the essence of fighting games in the same way guns are. Hitting your opponent is the basics of fighting games. Combos were not in the very first fighting game (forgot the name). Your entire argument boils down too, I like combos, they are fun, they entertain me, they are fun to watch, which is NOT a valid reason to why all fighting games must have combos.
I like how you keep ignoring the fact of sakurai purposely hindering brawl. How he says so in his interviews how he threw random ***** slaps in there to discourage you. Tripping comes to mind.
Also if he wanted melee/smash to be a four player game with items.. then why does he have alternate options. why did he keep in certain gameplay elements from the first one? Why does it have hitstun.
Case in point.
Stop trying to drag along melee with brawl as a bad fighting game just because you cant get people here to say its a good game.
For someone who hates melee vs brawl topics you sure like fanning the fire. Truthully you know you didnt have to come back and argue this.

CRASHiC

Smash Hero
I like how you keep ignoring the fact of sakurai purposely hindering brawl. How he says so in his interviews how he threw random ***** slaps in there to discourage you. Tripping comes to mind.
Find me an interview where he says this. Where he says, I designed this game to limit competitive play. As I've said before, it is not the intentions or the game itself that makes something competative. It is the community. http://www.worldrps.com/

And I'm pretty sure *****ing is against the rules, as well as inappropriate.

Also if he wanted melee/smash to be a four player game with items.. then why does he have alternate options. why did he keep in certain gameplay elements from the first one? Why does it have hitstun.
Because simply having those elements does not make it competitive.

Stop trying to drag along melee with brawl as a bad fighting game just because you cant get people here to say its a good game.
For someone who hates melee vs brawl topics you sure like fanning the fire. Truthfully you know you didnt have to come back and argue this.
Yes, I should have allowed people to call me idiots behind my back. By your same logic, you didn't have to argue either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom