• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is shiek a counter for marth?

G@BE

Smash Lord
fox is fast enough to catch you after the roll.
He is fast enough to catch you out of the roll... But its a lil hard to predict were someone is going to go half the time. And im looking to roll the second they shine not drill or hit me with whatever other attack. He is fast enough to get the other but you can punish for his lag.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
He is fast enough to catch you out of the roll... But its a lil hard to predict were someone is going to go half the time. And im looking to roll the second they shine not drill or hit me with whatever other attack. He is fast enough to get the other but you can punish for his lag.
there are 3 options that happen.

1. you roll away
2. you roll towards
3. you spot dodge

fox is fast enought htat he doesnt even need to predict which one of htose happens. he may not get a hit, but he will keep pressure and continue to hit your shield

for your health

tarheeljks

Smash Lord
you can't just try to roll away from shines, fox/falco can just waveshine in order to chase you around. the lag from the roll will cause you to get caught eventually.

conn

Smash Rookie
if you combo shiek well enough in the air you dont have to worry about shiek's ownage. and that staement was really half *****

Bailey

Smash Hero
Dude anyone who is good knows that Sheik doesn't counter Marth in fact it is the other way around most good Marth's should love playing against Sheiks.

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
if shiek gets a grab she can do **** to you. theres no way to magically get out of being attacked. if you di away you will get grabbed again. if you di back you will get usmashed. if you dont di you will get naired/fiared or w/e.

second off, shiek vs marth = even

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
if shiek gets a grab she can do **** to you. theres no way to magically get out of being attacked. if you di away you will get grabbed again. if you di back you will get usmashed. if you dont di you will get naired/fiared or w/e.

second off, shiek vs marth = even
lol@that. off of a grab sheik should get 1 move, that's it.

anyway, yeah sheik cant cg marth at all

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
lol@that. off of a grab sheik should get 1 move, that's it.

anyway, yeah sheik cant cg marth at all
She can't chaingrab but her dthrow sets up for ftilts, fairs, upsmash, and if the Marth jumps sets up for uairs to fairs.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
Dude anyone who is good knows that Sheik doesn't counter Marth in fact it is the other way around most good Marth's should love playing against Sheiks.
i believe i heard people quoting ken, saying that sheik beats marth.

G@BE

Smash Lord
Marth can ruin sheiks with up throw up tilit game.

And you escape sheiks chaingrab by Di up. Most sheiks will trying for the other grab and will miss cuz you Di'd up.

Not to sound like a elitist prick but. Dr. Steve brule how long have you been playing this game? Same goes with the rest of you. So far the only person i could really trust on opinion wise in here would be Bailey. Most of you have not been playing for 2 or even a year.... >.>

unless dr. steve brule had another account.

@ Tyson
He said he did not care about him does not mean he sucks.

Correction
Plarrink knows what he is talking about to

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
ya that's completely wrong so you now have 0 credibility.
Oh really? So if you were to DI the throw slightly up+away so that you couldn't get grabbed again and a dash attack would go under you and then proceed to continue holding the direction away so that any tilt/aerial will send you far enoguh anyway that you can escape wouldn't constitute as escaping by only getting hit once?

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. If you've played this game for a month, don't act like you know what you're talking about.

Just because you don't know how to DI doesn't mean other people are as bad at it as you.

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
marth doesn't get countered at all by sheik, sure there are more weak spots in marths game than sheiks in this matchup, but thats like that in every matchup.

i swear, marth's really should quit bringing up this sheik crap and learn to realize to play the game right or at least learn to, all you ever hear from a marth player now a days is"i lost because he uses sheik".

gabe, plank, and bailey are right.

Velox

Smash Ace
Yes! This means Marth has no bad matches! He's broken! I always knew he was the best character in the game.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
@ Tyson
He said he did not care about him does not mean he sucks.
"Dude anyone who is good knows that Sheik doesn't counter Marth in fact it is the other way around most good Marth's should love playing against Sheiks."

and ken doesnt say that, so he is saying ken sucks technically.

and he says he doesnt care about him, meaning he doesnt care about his opinion.

what does that say? he doesnt care about the opinion of one of the best marths? im sure ken > bailey in experience.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i said "one of the best marths"

to prevent people like u trying to put useless posts trying to argue about it.

G@BE

Smash Lord
[22:55] Velox: they win against sheik and they say it's even
[22:55] Velox: they lose, and all of the sudden marth gets ***** by sheik

he makes a point. In my opinion though i saw its goes ether way so its even. But marth can gay sheik pretty hard.

This topic has gone to **** from arguing about Falco to Sheik... what the hell >.>

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
haha, arguing? yes i'm sitting here trying to make my post count higher than everyone else cuz i care so much to be one of those noobs who joins smash boards just to have a high post count so people can see that i have no life and sit here and post all day.

i was just saying the more specific, and to just say one of the best is an understatement and if i were ken i'd be insulted for someone who plays marth(i'm implying) to just say one of the best as if you question he is the best or not.

anyways, sheik is a hard matchup for marth if your a noob who doesn't follow and watch out for everything she is trying to do. if you watch most marths they play it patient and defensive like M2K did to KDJ at last weeks tourney. ken on the other hand seems to play quite aggressive, and honestly as far as ken's record against sheiks it doesn't seem to be the way to go because he lost to kdj most of all of the last season and to isai.

anyways, most pros have preached it over and over being aggressive isn't a very smart idea because aggressive is labeled as going after the opponent without having a gameplan(not saying ken doesn't have a plan or plays stupid.)

Dr. Steve Brule

Smash Apprentice
Oh really? So if you were to DI the throw slightly up+away so that you couldn't get grabbed again and a dash attack would go under you and then proceed to continue holding the direction away so that any tilt/aerial will send you far enoguh anyway that you can escape wouldn't constitute as escaping by only getting hit once?

If you don't know what you're talking about, don't post. If you've played this game for a month, don't act like you know what you're talking about.

Just because you don't know how to DI doesn't mean other people are as bad at it as you.
1st off lol
2nd off you cant di a throw up.
3rd off ive been on smashboards for a long time
4th off you can either grab again, dash attack, usmash, aerial, or tilt a marth after grab, depending on percents. at 0 is when you have hte most options. i consider that a combo.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
1st off lol
2nd off you cant di a throw up.
3rd off ive been on smashboards for a long time
4th off you can either grab again, dash attack, usmash, aerial, or tilt a marth after grab, depending on percents. at 0 is when you have hte most options. i consider that a combo.
wow, did you ignore my entire post?

you really don't know anything, do you?

Sheik CAN'T usmash if the marth di's correctly. The only thing sheik can do off of a dthrow is Dthrow-->tilt (then no aerial because marth di's correctly) or Dthrow --> aerial (the best option vs anyone good).

Yes, that's a combo but not a 0-death combo like u say there are.

You should NEVER get upsmashed or regrabbed as Marth vs sheik from a dthrow.

You also should never get hit by multiple consecutive moves from a dthrow.

Seriously, learn to DI. You offer no credibility as to who you are or that you have any experience. Maybe that's because you're a nobody. Play m2k/azen's/km's Marth's consistently and you'll see that stuff is easily DI'able.

ChaosKnight

Smash Master
lol so true plank Some guys never learn though so let them be they shoot my idea of Marth and sheik being even so quickly .. ><

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Yeah CK people are indeed ********.

I'd even say that Sheik has a slight advantage in the matchup, but that's more or less because of needles.

Newbies just whine about the "ZOMGZ RIDICULOUS **** COMBOEZ" because they don't DI properly ever. lol :p

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
DI is everything just like plank and Ck have said before dr brule, in fact you should watch them play one another in marth vs sheik vids, they are a pretty good reference on how the matchup is when you DI correctly.

shadydentist

Smash Lord
yea... staying on the edge and forward smashing isn't so good in this match-up. if you take the edge, you force shiek to land on the stage and then you can exploit her long lag time.

Thats the theory anyways.

Reese

Smash Journeyman
well I know to edge hog (should of worded my post better) But what do you do after she teles back to the level? What do you hit her with when she is lagging from her recovering move?

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
Grab, throw back off the ledge, or Fsmash.
Honestly, its up to you what you want to do to sheik at that point, but I'd recommend one of those two options.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
shiek is like a counter for almost everyone if u know how to use her right. for me shiek isnt so much of a problem with marth, because whenever i see my friend setting up for a tilt > fair i can usually counter it sometimes. u know with the down + b.
but i dont think ive played anyone that is truely good with shiek.

yea, shiek is just fast over all. all her attacks have almost no lag! its crazy, combines with l cancelling shes like even more faster. shield grab her stupid dash attack, DI the tilts as best u can. dont let her fair u at high %'s.

thats my advice lol

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
well I know to edge hog (should of worded my post better) But what do you do after she teles back to the level? What do you hit her with when she is lagging from her recovering move?
Ledge-hopped neutral B ftw.

Top Bottom