• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why is "I fight for my friends" so funny?

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
you know what no one will give you a straight answer so... You'll get no sympathy from me. and if you want to start a flame war ill win cuz I fight for my friends. and its funny its just funny when he says that

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Ike is so badass the line seems out of character. That and the way he says it is what makes it funny.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
cuz it's the moment when you realize Ike is in fact gay.

not that there's anything wrong with it....

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
Ike is so badass the line seems out of character. That and the way he says it is what makes it funny.
you havent played any of his games have you?

kind of wierd that all the people answering arent ike mains its like they all saw this and decided to check on it lol. idk why people find it funny when my friends heard it they just laughed and they just said because it was gay i dont really find it funny though

whisperingtears

Smash Apprentice
Try saying it with a straight face

" I hehe fight for heheahaha my friends AHAHHAHAHAHAHA LOLOALAOFAHAHAGLAOASLDFK"

Shirum

Smash Cadet
The line itself isn't that terrible (though the more literal translation is better). It's the delivery. It's all in the delivery.

He sounds like he's rolling around in his bed and snuggling a pillow, half-asleep.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
He says that because he's gay for Soren. ^^

Not completely joking. Besides, being gay and being made by Nintendo kinda rocks.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Ehh *shrugs* many reasons. Voice, posture. Whatever who cares. enjoy it. =P

Aether_Lord

Smash Apprentice
serously tho he should of had an ending with a female like Mia would be nice i hope some people agrees but it aint a bad thing to be gay i have a lot of gay friends

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
seriosuly...why doesn't Ike get any female endings besides the princess. Lethe is blah and they don't end up together. All the other games each guy had more than one option.

Ike should have delivered that sentence differently i agree. Or have a completely different line like the "You'll get no sympathy from me!" Which is just badass.

I think the victory music also sounds gay which promotes it >.> He could have gotten a different instrument at least! They did it with meta knight..

Fenrir EX

Smash Rookie
Picture this: a badass mercenary with a big *** sword which he can wield with only one hand!
Now picture that guy saying "I fight for my friends." really calm.
Now picture that guy saying any of Heavy Weapons Guy's lines.

Which one fits better?

Heroes_Never_Die

Smash Journeyman
The voice actor sounding like a homo aside, it's just a bad line. It would make more sense if he said something like "I'll protect them 'till the end." or "You'll never get past me." They have similar meanings and make more sense to say and sound better as a victory speech.

Lunar6

Smash Journeyman
Had they used his Radiant Dawn incarnation, it would've been that much more unfitting (solely because of how huge he was in that game). Be grateful he's not saying something like...oh I don't know..."j00 kahnt dafeet mii!" (and, "Prepare yourself." >>> "You're not ready yet!")

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
To offer some fairly serious answers on this:

1 - It is definitely an anime-esque 'love and justice' line. I would expect this out of a perky, idealistic magical girl. Perhaps even from Micaiah. Wasn't the original line something closer to "I fight for those I protect" or "I fight to protect others" when translated from Japanese? I could go for the latter; "I fight to protect others" is fine.

2 - He sounds so... distantly calm when he says it. Like some sort of jedi. I believe Orwell said that a thing is funny when it goes against the natural order, and in this case Ike being so completely flatly calm is... unnatural.

3 - All of these things combined make it downright hilarious. I've begun telling people this line in daily conversation. "I fight for my friends," "I buy food for eating," "I fight for Ron Paul," etc. Would probably work better if I had a Ragnell replica to prop on my shoulder during this, however.

Shirum

Smash Cadet
Re: Pegasus Knight - I think I remember reading that it was "For those I protect, I will not lose."

Which is awesome.

As for the sexuality thing, I don't think it should matter (although I do like Ike/Soren), but ... sooner gay than straight, yes, but it's not stated explicitly. Canon favors asexuality, really.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
/sigh

People the reason why it's funny is because it's completely unprovoked.

Ace55

Smash Lord
It just makes Ike a terrible rolmodel. He fights for his friends, but his friends arn't in danger. So basically he's just showing off. Thus Ike promotes unnecessary violence and 'happy slapping'. I hope you're real proud of yourself Ike.

And ofcourse, he's pushing the gay agenda. I mean, what do you think the big sword stands for?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I prefer the quote "You'll get no sympathy from me." much more. I tend to think that he's speaking to anyone who's not a princess.

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
Like Delta Z said. They build Ike up to be this total badass character with all his coolness, huge sword & cape! Then shatter it all with a simple little line ", I fight for my friends." Me & my friends play Ike for fun just so we can hear that line from him.

"I fight for my friends......I also do crack & heroine."

Top Bottom