• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I'm not an Atheist

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
You just did it, you didn't look at anything I've said and didn't say anything with any substance. Respond to what I have said. It really looks like you just responded to the last sentence, the others are there for a reason as well.

Chuee

Smash Hero
Quantum physics says A LOT of stuff that sounds ridiculous. I find it pretty fishy, that science, the process by which we make sense of thing, gets more and more outrageous as we get deeper and deeper into understanding particles. I don't dismiss any ideas that seem odd; the entire idea of god is pretty ridiculous anyway. However, I stay aware the trends of scientific discovery, and the more things that don't sense, the more things need to be questioned. The problem I have with a lot of atheists is specifically that they DON'T like to ask questions.
And the best part about Quantum Physics is that most of the outlandish claims have been empirically observed. Double Slit experiment varifies that atoms exist as both waves and particles (2 states at once), Scientists have actually gotten 2 atoms entangled. Don't try to mistake Quantum physics with theoretical physics. Must of the claims have been verified through observation. Also, to claim that the more outlandish the claims become the more we should question them is silly. The universe doesn't act in the way that it seems to us. For example Quantum mechanics seems ridiculous because it only works at molecular levels. Since stuff like this doesn't happen in our daily lives, you can expect it to seem weird. The same goes for Relativity. The concept of time being able to tick at different rates for different objects, that space can curve all seem directly contradictory to our senses. It's because these describe situations that never occur in our daily lives is why the seem silly to us. Also, the reason Atheist's don't ask questions is because they leave Science to Scientists. If they say something, I'm not going to question it because they most likely know a lot more about the subject and spend much more time dedicated to it than me, so I'd just let them do Science rather than question things that seem silly and be regarded as an idiot.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
So you think we have all the knowledge and tools to understand everything now? The why is it that science has yet to explain why virtual particles and all jazz work the way they do?
Not everything lol, don't get your hopes up. But we know enough to say with certainty certain things about the universe.

I'm getting the feeling that we aren't talking about the same idea here. I'm addressing, specifically, the requirements of a science-based atheistic argument. What is this theory that you're talking about?
The quantum fluctuation theory that particles come in and out of existence from nothing.

You won't know till you try. If you make a mistake, there's nothing stopping you from correcting yourself, and I gain nothing from calling you out on a technical error. I'm interested in arguing the truth, not making you look bad for making a mistake. If you make a mistake, then correct it. Otherwise you'll just have to wait till I have time to view it.
I already told you I won't explain it myself. I do not want to hurt the impact or validity of the argument by giving a *******ized version of it. You're really just going to have to listen to the lecture.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Once more, you simply wish to believe in God. You say, with no knowledge of the subject, that it is "fishy", and therefore find it less stock worthy than your outlandish idea of God. You admit this, but then just go on to say you're right anyhow.

And scientists are constantly questioning and testing things everyday, I believe you are the only one not questioning anything, with your cop-out answer that God is some illogical thing that made us.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
For the sake of helping out MuraRengan, and trying to understand the Krauss lecture myself, I'm going to type out his thesis in my words, and please correct me if it's wrong. (A really enjoyable lecture btw.)

The universe began from nothing. Our universe is a verifiably balanced and "flat" universe, which means that the net energy is zero (taking into account matter, energy, dark matter, and dark energy). Recent experiments in weighing the universe have illuminated the fact that what seems like empty space between galaxies (and between the quarks in protons, for that matter) is in fact teeming with "virtual particles" that exist for a split second and then are gone, and quantum theory explains this. This not-so-empty space is full of most of the universe's dark energy, which pushes galaxies and clusters farther away from each other (overpowering the force of gravity) and causes the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. Because the net energy of the universe is zero, and empty space is actually very active, all we need is empty space to explain the origins of matter and energy--quantum mechanics by its very nature does the rest. "Something from nothing" happened, but "nothing" doesn't actually mean "nothing".

Also, Holder of the Heel - thanks for explaining the "why" a couple pages ago, it actually does help me. Unfortunately we're on something different now but I do appreciate it.

john!

Smash Hero
For the sake of helping out MuraRengan, and trying to understand the Krauss lecture myself, I'm going to type out his thesis in my words, and please correct me if it's wrong. (A really enjoyable lecture btw.)

The universe began from nothing. Our universe is a verifiably balanced and "flat" universe, which means that the net energy is zero (taking into account matter, energy, dark matter, and dark energy). Recent experiments in weighing the universe have illuminated the fact that what seems like empty space between galaxies (and between the quarks in protons, for that matter) is in fact teeming with "virtual particles" that exist for a split second and then are gone, and quantum theory explains this. This not-so-empty space is full of most of the universe's dark energy, which pushes galaxies and clusters farther away from each other (overpowering the force of gravity) and causes the acceleration of the expansion of the universe. Because the net energy of the universe is zero, and empty space is actually very active, all we need is empty space to explain the origins of matter and energy--quantum mechanics by its very nature does the rest. "Something from nothing" happened, but "nothing" doesn't actually mean "nothing".

Also, Holder of the Heel - thanks for explaining the "why" a couple pages ago, it actually does help me. Unfortunately we're on something different now but I do appreciate it.
if this is true, it still doesn't answer the question of why there is something instead of nothing...

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
That's the problem with giving summaries. People reading it are left with questions, because it's hard to explain a long lecture in a post.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I've repeated myself enough. I'm not going to explain the lecture, because I know I will get it wrong to some degree. Just listen to the lecture. Dr. Krauss is an interesting person to listen to and you only have to watch the thing for a few brief moments. Everything else you can just listen to.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
if this is true, it still doesn't answer the question of why there is something instead of nothing...
It doesn't concretely answer the question, as you might expect, but it gives some fascinating food for thought, and Krauss believes we're making our way toward understanding the origin of the universe through evidence he shows.

But yes, you should definitely watch it instead of merely reading what I write about it. I'm trying to explain it without bias but it's still lacking majorly.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
You just did it, you didn't look at anything I've said and didn't say anything with any substance. Respond to what I have said. It really looks like you just responded to the last sentence, the others are there for a reason as well.
Your lack of comprehension is very irksome. I ignored the rest of your post because it was flat out invalid. You're making a false assumption about my argument, so all I need to to is point it out, and correct you. I don't have to entertain the conclusions you made with your false assumption, because the very fact that you falsely assumed something about my argument makes yours untrue. I have not rejected scientific facts. I'm not saying that quantum physics is a lie, far from it. In fact, the observed phenomena in quantum physics further advances my own point, that science needs to explain some very confusing things in order for an atheistic theory of creation to be sound.

And the best part about Quantum Physics is that most of the outlandish claims have been empirically observed. Double Slit experiment varifies that atoms exist as both waves and particles (2 states at once), Scientists have actually gotten 2 atoms entangled. Don't try to mistake Quantum physics with theoretical physics. Must of the claims have been verified through observation. Also, to claim that the more outlandish the claims become the more we should question them is silly. The universe doesn't act in the way that it seems to us. For example Quantum mechanics seems ridiculous because it only works at molecular levels. Since stuff like this doesn't happen in our daily lives, you can expect it to seem weird. The same goes for Relativity. The concept of time being able to tick at different rates for different objects, that space can curve all seem directly contradictory to our senses. It's because these describe situations that never occur in our daily lives is why the seem silly to us.
I'll repeat the same thing I just said to Holder. I do not doubt the observations of quantum physics, I doubt the ability of those premises to lead to an ultimate truth about creation that does not deal with metaphysics. This doubt comes from the very fact that the very observations of quantum physics are outlandish, unpredictable, and difficult to comprehend. For example, the results of the Double Silt experiment are true. That's fine, but WHY are they true? How can they be true? What causes them function in this manner? Has science answered these questions?

Also, the reason Atheist's don't ask questions is because they leave Science to Scientists. If they say something, I'm not going to question it because they most likely know a lot more about the subject and spend much more time dedicated to it than me, so I'd just let them do Science rather than question things that seem silly and be regarded as an idiot.
It's absolutely foolish for an atheist to not question science. This is the problem I have with atheism: it assumes the truth that God doesn't exist without fact, and people who ascribe to that belief do so without trying to understand existence past what science tells them. You jump to a conclusion, hoping that other people will do the thinking for you. At most, I can understand agnosticism, because agnosticism acknowledges the unknown and the lack of effectiveness of science alone to make the conclusion, but not atheism.

You don't have to question the credibility of a scientific discovery, but you do have to question the origins of that theory, how that theory is made possible in the first place.

Not everything lol, don't get your hopes up. But we know enough to say with certainty certain things about the universe.
If you recall my statements about 20 pages ago, I said multiple times that I don't believe science could ever understand everything without accepting metaphysics, so that answer doesn't surprise me, and my hopes certainly weren't up. The certainty at which we can determine things about the universe is completely unknown. Think of before Einstein's theory, when it was "certain" that time moved at a set pace. None of us has any idea how certain we can be about how we understand the universe.

The quantum fluctuation theory that particles come in and out of existence from nothing.
Ok, so you do understand that I'm not debating whether or not this theory is true, right? I'm saying that, even if this theory is true, in order for an atheistic argument for existence to be sound, there must be an explanation for why particles come in and out of existence that does not require metaphysics. You can't simply conclude that the universe could be made without a god if you don't know why and how particles come in and out of existence.

Once more, you simply wish to believe in God. You say, with no knowledge of the subject, that it is "fishy", and therefore find it less stock worthy than your outlandish idea of God. You admit this, but then just go on to say you're right anyhow.
Ok, in case you didn't get the picture last time, this time I have highlighted what exactly you are misunderstanding about me.

The blue is your faulty premise. You think that I think that the discoveries that we've seen from science are lies. This is false, I'm not saying this. What I think is fishy is the trend that these observations follow, and that trend is the total absurdity of scientific finds. My point is that to totally understand creation, science now has to understand and explain these absurd empirically observed phenomena.

The red is your faulty conclusion, which I will ignore because since your premise was faulty, so was your conclusion.

Do you understand now why I ignore half the stuff you say? It's because far too often you misunderstand my arguments.

And scientists are constantly questioning and testing things everyday, I believe you are the only one not questioning anything, with your cop-out answer that God is some illogical thing that made us.
I certainly have questioned more than you. It seems to me that you can't ask a question that science hasn't already answered. You're totally dependent on science to think everything for you. Have you asked at all, "How is it possible that particles come in and out of existence at random?" Have you come up with a theory that makes sense? Have you philosophized over it? If so then tell me. Show me all the questions you ask, since you claim that I'm the one not asking the questions.

The argument for God is not a cop out. It's the argument of necessity, cause and effect, the same argument I made several pages ago, that you could never find a flaw in. More than anything, you're the one who simply wants to be an atheist, because you're the one not asking the questions and jumping to conclusions without any knowledge of emperical fact and no developed philosophy.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Your lack of comprehension is very irksome. I ignored the rest of your post because it was flat out invalid. You're making a false assumption about my argument, so all I need to to is point it out, and correct you. I don't have to entertain the conclusions you made with your false assumption, because the very fact that you falsely assumed something about my argument makes yours untrue. I have not rejected scientific facts. I'm not saying that quantum physics is a lie, far from it. In fact, the observed phenomena in quantum physics further advances my own point, that science needs to explain some very confusing things in order for an atheistic theory of creation to be sound.
I didn't say you claim it to be a lie or anything (not entirely sure where you got that?), I'm telling you that you have no base for questioning what others who are far more educated than you have to say about it. You simply just say it is fishy, that is all you say. They even understand it further than you understand your own idea of creation, considering they are testing it, have had empirical evidence, and can explain it. You can't do any of these things. You haven't really said anything here either.

The blue is your faulty premise. You think that I think that the discoveries that we've seen from science are lies. This is false, I'm not saying this. What I think is fishy is the trend that these observations follow, and that trend is the total absurdity of scientific finds. My point is that to totally understand creation, science now has to understand and explain these absurd empirically observed phenomena.
Once more, I never said you believed them to be lies, you just put more stock in your own belief than in quantum physics. In fact, your whole premise was that it must necessarily be an illogical being that made us, for there is no other way. You are slipping up a bit here, and seem to acknowledge that things may not be as necessarily logically stupid that you think they must be.

You said you saw the end of science earlier, which is pretty inconsistent with what you just stated.

I certainly have questioned more than you. It seems to me that you can't ask a question that science hasn't already answered. You're totally dependent on science to think everything for you. Have you asked at all, "How is it possible that particles come in and out of existence at random?" Have you come up with a theory that makes sense? Have you philosophized over it? If so then tell me. Show me all the questions you ask, since you claim that I'm the one not asking the questions.
Wrong, I can't ANSWER the questions science has because I am not superior to our top scientists. I don't expect for you to break out surpassing them anytime soon either, but I at least believe that they test enough to know what they are doing. It would be quite strange otherwise.

The argument for God is not a cop out. It's the argument of necessity, cause and effect, the same argument I made several pages ago, that you could never find a flaw in.
Wrong, you couldn't provide any answers for me. In fact, I just destroyed it all over again.

You have faith, I don't desire to rid you of it if you have such a strong dependency on it, but I would like for you to at least admit it.

Chuee

Smash Hero
This doubt comes from the very fact that the very observations of quantum physics are outlandish, unpredictable, and difficult to comprehend. For example, the results of the Double Silt experiment are true. That's fine, but WHY are they true? How can they be true? What causes them function in this manner? Has science answered these questions?
I already answered this. Quantum Physics predictions do NOT happen at the size scale we are at, so you can expect them to not seem the same as our daily experiences.

It's absolutely foolish for an atheist to not question science. This is the problem I have with atheism: it assumes the truth that God doesn't exist without fact,
yeah......no.
Atheism doesn't assert there is no God at all. It denies God claims to be valid evidence for the existence of one.
and people who ascribe to that belief do so without trying to understand existence past what science tells them. You jump to a conclusion, hoping that other people will do the thinking for you.
The reason is because we don't question things we don't know about. Today's Physicists more than likely know much more than you or me about Quantum Mechanics. To question something you haven't studied or don't know much about is absurd. You should only question a claim unless you've evaluated it and understand what it asserts.
At most, I can understand agnosticism, because agnosticism acknowledges the unknown and the lack of effectiveness of science alone to make the conclusion, but not atheism.
>implying Atheists think there is no God

You don't have to question the credibility of a scientific discovery, but you do have to question the origins of that theory, how that theory is made possible in the first place.
Through the Scientific Method.......................?

If you recall my statements about 20 pages ago, I said multiple times that I don't believe science could ever understand everything without accepting metaphysics, so that answer doesn't surprise me, and my hopes certainly weren't up. The certainty at which we can determine things about the universe is completely unknown. Think of before Einstein's theory, when it was "certain" that time moved at a set pace. None of us has any idea how certain we can be about how we understand the universe.
Which is why Science always evaluates it's theories and reevaluates them when evidence suggests something else.

Ok, so you do understand that I'm not debating whether or not this theory is true, right? I'm saying that, even if this theory is true, in order for an atheistic argument for existence to be sound, there must be an explanation for why particles come in and out of existence that does not require metaphysics. You can't simply conclude that the universe could be made without a god if you don't know why and how particles come in and out of existence.
The Laws of Physics aren't metaphysical.

You question things that doesn't make sense to you.

The argument for God is not a cop out. It's the argument of necessity, cause and effect, the same argument I made several pages ago, that you could never find a flaw in. More than anything, you're the one who simply wants to be an atheist, because you're the one not asking the questions and jumping to conclusions without any knowledge of emperical fact and no developed philosophy.
Law of Cause and Effect is silly.
For anything to have a 'starting point' there has to something that has no starting point. There is no reason as to why the initial starter has to be God. You don't jump to conclusions without evidence supporting the idea that God is the only option for the initial starter. Also to claim that Atheists never question anything is ridiculously absurd and false. Most atheists became atheist because they questioned their beliefs, actually looked information regarding the arguments for God, and found that the arguments are extremely faulty and full of holes.
I'll be the first to say that the existence of a universe, the existence of anything seems odd, extremely odd, and that a God makes it seem less odd, however still odd. As of now, we have no reason to assert with certainty that there is a God, much less that we actually know certain things about him, like most modern religions.

Again most of what you say seems to pin atheists as claiming with certainty. No, Atheists don't claim to be certain that God does not exist. Atheism is denying the claims made by theistic religions about the existence of a God, holy books, etc. Most modern Atheists identify as agnostic atheists, meaning they deny claims but do not say God does or does not exist. Gnostic Atheists are rare, and sort of contradictory in a sense. The only way to prove a negative (the non-existance of a God) is through contradiction. You prove Intelligent Design to be false by proving Evolution to be true (which contradicts most of the claims made by Intelligent Design). While you can find contradictions in religions that involve personal Gods, holy texts, etc. However, you can't really find anything to contradict in a Deistic religion, because it really only asserts that God exists and that he works through Natural Law rather than direct intervention (which can be verified to a certain extent by observation), rather than asserting knowing certain qualities of God, miracles, and holy texts.

john!

Smash Hero
yeah......no.
Atheism doesn't assert there is no God at all. It denies God claims to be valid evidence for the existence of one.

>implying Atheists think there is no God
just to be clear: you think that if someone is not a theist, they are automatically an atheist?

that's an extremely bad definition of atheism and one that fails to fully define the system of beliefs that most self-identified atheists share. the act of identifying oneself as an atheist is a positive claim about the nature of the universe. it's more than simply the lack of theism.

Chuee

Smash Hero
just to be clear: you think that if someone is not a theist, they are automatically an atheist?

that's an extremely bad definition of atheism and one that fails to fully define the system of beliefs that most self-identified atheists share. the act of identifying oneself as an atheist is a positive claim about the nature of the universe. it's more than simply the lack of theism.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities."
Rejection of belief in God, not belief in no God.
Most modern Atheists classify under Agnostic Atheists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_Atheism

john!

Smash Hero
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atheism
"Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities."
Rejection of belief in God, not belief in no God.
Most modern Atheists classify under Agnostic Atheists.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_Atheism
rejection based on what evidence? rejection is a positive action.

gnosticism/agnosticism is not binary, by the way.

this quote is relevant:

According to one estimate, about 2.3% of the world's population are atheists, while a further 11.9% are nonreligious.
notice the distinction.

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I didn't say you claim it to be a lie or anything (not entirely sure where you got that?), I'm telling you that you have no base for questioning what others who are far more educated than you have to say about it. You simply just say it is fishy, that is all you say. They even understand it further than you understand your own idea of creation, considering they are testing it, have had empirical evidence, and can explain it. You can't do any of these things. You haven't really said anything here either.
My base for questioning science is the pursuit of understanding. Scientists aren't deciding whether or not God exists, and the virtue of being scientists does not make them more qualified than me to philosophize logical conclusions to God. As long as science doesn't contradict my cause and effect philosophy, I am as eligible to make an argument as the next person. i have no problem with scientific discovery, I don't know what exactly it is you think I'm questioning, but it's not science. It's the trends that scientific discovery follows, I.E. the things we find out about how the universe works.

Once more, I never said you believed them to be lies, you just put more stock in your own belief than in quantum physics. In fact, your whole premise was that it must necessarily be an illogical being that made us, for there is no other way. You are slipping up a bit here, and seem to acknowledge that things may not be as necessarily logically stupid that you think they must be.
Again, quantum physics doesn't affect my belief at all. I'm not putting more stock in myself than quantum physics, I don't know where you got that idea. My point about quantum physics is that it describes some outrageous stuff, not that that stuff is untrue, not that that stuff threatens my logic.

You said you saw the end of science earlier, which is pretty inconsistent with what you just stated.
I'm not saying I believe science can do it, i don't know whether or not it can for this particular issue, but I believe that at one point science won't be able to explain something we discover.

Wrong, I can't ANSWER the questions science has because I am not superior to our top scientists. I don't expect for you to break out surpassing them anytime soon either, but I at least believe that they test enough to know what they are doing. It would be quite strange otherwise.
Again, I'm not disputing the accuracy of science. I'm talking about the ramifications of scientific discovery on how we understand existence. Do you ask questions about that? You don't need to be a scientist to do that, you just need information, and an understanding of how basically reality works, which I believe to be cause and effect, and you can come up with a general answer.

I've said it before, the only way to make me change my opinion is to show how the cause and effect philosophy I outlined pages ago is faulty.

I already answered this. Quantum Physics predictions do NOT happen at the size scale we are at, so you can expect them to not seem the same as our daily experiences.
That doesn't exempt the questions I asked from needing to be answered.

yeah......no.
Funny, all the atheists I know personally flat out say that God doesn't exist.

The reason is because we don't question things we don't know about. Today's Physicists more than likely know much more than you or me about Quantum Mechanics. To question something you haven't studied or don't know much about is absurd. You should only question a claim unless you've evaluated it and understand what it asserts.
It still sounds like you think I'm questioning the accuracy of quantum physics. I am not. I'm questioning the ramifications of quantum physics on how we understand reality. I.E. If particles come into existence at random, why do they come in existence at random?

Through the Scientific Method.......................?
Let me rephrase the question: What property of the universe makes it possible for "enter specific scientific theory" to be possible?

Which is why Science always evaluates it's theories and reevaluates them when evidence suggests something else.
I am aware.

The Laws of Physics aren't metaphysical.
Don't see what you're getting at.

You question things that doesn't make sense to you.
I question things that need to be questioned. I accept that particles come into existence at random, but I also want to know why that happens. Or, are you saying that particles coming in and out of existence at random for no particular reason makes sense to you?

Law of Cause and Effect is silly.
For anything to have a 'starting point' there has to something that has no starting point. There is no reason as to why the initial starter has to be God. You don't jump to conclusions without evidence supporting the idea that God is the only option for the initial starter.
I went over this several pages ago. I'm not interested in proving God, I'm only interested in showing how God is a very large possibility. Proving metaphysics alone does that. My own belief in God is based on other things as well.

Also to claim that Atheists never question anything is ridiculously absurd and false. Most atheists became atheist because they questioned their beliefs, actually looked information regarding the arguments for God, and found that the arguments are extremely faulty and full of holes.
I was being a bit dramatic, giving Holder the opposite end of the extreme.

I'll be the first to say that the existence of a universe, the existence of anything seems odd, extremely odd, and that a God makes it seem less odd, however still odd. As of now, we have no reason to assert with certainty that there is a God, much less that we actually know certain things about him, like most modern religions.
I've got no problem with this.

Again most of what you say seems to pin atheists as claiming with certainty. No, Atheists don't claim to be certain that God does not exist. Atheism is denying the claims made by theistic religions about the existence of a God, holy books, etc. Most modern Atheists identify as agnostic atheists, meaning they deny claims but do not say God does or does not exist. Gnostic Atheists are rare, and sort of contradictory in a sense. The only way to prove a negative (the non-existance of a God) is through contradiction. You prove Intelligent Design to be false by proving Evolution to be true (which contradicts most of the claims made by Intelligent Design). While you can find contradictions in religions that involve personal Gods, holy texts, etc. However, you can't really find anything to contradict in a Deistic religion, because it really only asserts that God exists and that he works through Natural Law rather than direct intervention (which can be verified to a certain extent by observation), rather than asserting knowing certain qualities of God, miracles, and holy texts.
There's a difference between the definition of atheists, and how atheists actually behave. In my own personal experience, all the atheists I know flat out say that there is no God. So I'm not exactly sure what the majority is.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
There's a difference between the definition of atheists, and how atheists actually behave. In my own personal experience, all the atheists I know flat out say that there is no God. So I'm not exactly sure what the majority is.
There are rational atheists and there are irrational atheists. The irrational ones say there is no god. The rational atheists know there's no way to ultimately disprove it.

john!

Smash Hero
There are rational atheists and there are irrational atheists. The irrational ones say there is no god. The rational atheists know there's no way to ultimately disprove it.
every single type of atheist says that there is no god. the only difference is in their level of certainty. the less certain ones tend to use terms like "strong atheist" and "weak atheist" to mask the fact that they are making an unfounded assumption without evidence (although they aren't as sure of their beliefs as a strong, militant atheist)

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Would it really make much of a difference if instead they said "There is a 99.9% chance that there is no god."

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Every atheist believes there's no god, but their assertions vary. Like I said, no rational atheist asserts with 100% certainty that there's no god.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
nobody can be 100% sure of anything.
That may be a good RATIONAL RULE OF THUMB, but it seems really impractical for anything meaningful.

Being wrong's not so bad anyhow. Especially when there is only a 0.1% chance of it. BD

Maybe I'm a pragmatist.

D

Deleted member

gödel's theorem only states some theorems are unprovable

so first off there are still many things you can prove with complete certainty, and you can also know/prove with complete certainty that some things are in fact unprovable.

so your "nobody can be sure of anything" is a terrible statement

john!

Smash Hero
you're right; my statement was in the context of a philosophical debate about god.

but you cited "mathematics" as an example of something that we can be 100% sure of, and that's not really true.

NNID
Budget_Player
No, I will not do that. That would essentially be me putting faith in people for questions that seem incomprehensible. It's the same kind of faith as a religion. You don't know the answer, but this group of knowledgeable people think they do and you'll believe whatever they say.
Oh my god did this really just happen? Did he really say this?

john!

Smash Hero
^ those are the worst kinds of posts. those are the posts of a man whose worldview is called into question and reacts violently because he is too stupid to formulate a good counterargument

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
He used the post to not point it out because he believes the problem with the post to be largely self-evident, and I happen to agree, I'm surprised you yourself wouldn't see that.

Rengan is saying having faith in God and having "faith" in scientists with their science as being equal, which is an incredibly ludicrous claim. I don't intend to really discuss anything with him further; if someone doesn't wish to listen, he won't, simple as that.

john!

Smash Hero
He used the post to not point it out because he believes the problem with the post to be largely self-evident, and I happen to agree, I'm surprised you yourself wouldn't see that.

Rengan is saying having faith in God and having "faith" in scientists with their science as being equal, which is an incredibly ludicrous claim. I don't intend to really discuss anything with him further; if someone doesn't wish to listen, he won't, simple as that.
the only difference between the two is the amount of evidence, and the credibility of said evidence. (and you can accept the evidence for both claims too, they aren't mutually exclusive)

NNID
Budget_Player
rejection based on what evidence? rejection is a positive action.

gnosticism/agnosticism is not binary, by the way.

this quote is relevant:

notice the distinction.
Funny thing about that: theist ≠ religious. It's entirely possible to believe in a god or multiple gods but not have a religious affiliation or belief. Furthermore, you (like many others, and incredibly disappointingly like MuraRengan) fail to understand atheism in its modern forums. And as for your question of "rejection based on what evidence", you're simply shifting the burden of proof in an unreasonable manner. I might as well ask what your evidence is to reject the invisible purple dragon in my garage that demands a gold tribute from you.

^ those are the worst kinds of posts. those are the posts of a man whose worldview is called into question and reacts violently because he is too stupid to formulate a good counterargument
Look, imagine if I were to say in a post something along the lines of "but it's completely obvious, indeed I'd go so far as to say self-evident, that the story of Noah's Ark is a true historical recounting of actual events with no embellishment or exaggeration". Would that not be grounds to simply quote that and call it ridiculous? To point out that it's absolutely ludicrous? I'm not mad because my worldview has been called into question, nor am I too stupid to formulate a good counterargument to a point like that (for the record: the most obvious counterargument is that you're on a computer and not, say, crippled from polio). It's just that that's the kind of thing you don't argue against. That's the kind of thing you point and laugh at. I mean, for ****'s sake, you said it yourself:

the only difference between the two is the amount of evidence, and the credibility of said evidence. (and you can accept the evidence for both claims too, they aren't mutually exclusive)
YES! Yes, the difference is the amount of evidence and the quality of that evidence! Our trust in the scientists and their methods is earned, because the scientific community has been vindicated time and time and time again, and because they have made significant progress in our society. Meanwhile our evidence for god or gods has shriveled up and disappeared under the light of harsh scrutiny, but people continue, with neither evidence nor reasoning, to put their faith (not their trust – trust means something entirely different) in religion, the consequences for society and humanity be damned. The fact that I have to explain this **** is really kinda pathetic.

Almost as pathetic is that MuraRengan has spent almost 10 pages arguing that because we don't know something, we do know something – because we don't know why there's something instead of nothing, god did it. Because we don't know why the mechanisms for the creation of the universe exist, god did it. The inherent contradiction in this infamous "argument from ignorance" fallacy should be really obvious, and yet somehow, otherwise intelligent people still fall into this trap. Throw in a dash of special pleading, and you have almost every argument for god ever – "God did it because what else could have?" The argument sucked back when prehistoric man was making it, and it still sucks.

Chuee

Smash Hero
every single type of atheist says that there is no god.
In the same way that if you ask any adult if Santa is real they will tell you Santa isn't real. Atheists view Religion and the concept in a similar way, as in it was made up.
No.
Theists always try to say idiotic things like Atheists have faith too, to make the concept of believing in anything without evidence less stupid than it actually is. Truth is, Atheists don't take anything on faith, in fact if you believe in anything based on faith you're admitting there isn't evidence to support it so you insert garbage in as proof.

The difference, is that having faith in God implies that God exists, which can't be taken on faith. Scientists you can empirically prove exist, and they have evidence to support their claims.

john!

Smash Hero
i already talked about santa/FSM/purple dragon/whatever garbage simile you want to come up with. i already talked about epistemology and why atheists don't magically have no burden of proof for anything. i already talked about why god is within the bounds of science.

atheists all say the exact same things, and then wonder why people think they are a dogmatized religion, LOL

it's because you act like one.

NNID
Budget_Player
i already talked about santa/FSM/purple dragon/whatever garbage simile you want to come up with.
Yes, by giving off the same damn argument from ignorance I addressed before.

i already talked about epistemology and why atheists don't magically have no burden of proof for anything.
This is ridiculous. We have the burden of proof to disprove your claim, despite you having, in essence, no evidence for it? We hold no burden of proof for our stance on god because our stance is the rejection of an idea with no proof behind it! You don't magically get to define god in such a way that you don't have to prove your claims. **** doesn't work that way.

i already talked about why god is within the bounds of science.
By failing to understand what science is?

atheists all say the exact same things, and then wonder why people think they are a dogmatized religion, LOL

it's because you act like one.
And this, once again, deserves no answer. It deserves a combination of any two of laughter, pity, and scorn.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Just to be clear, there is a 0.0000001% chance of Harry Potter being based on a true story, yeah?

Top Bottom