• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why I'm not an Atheist

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
What do you mean by 50/50? Whether or not god would be necessary or on the topic of god's existence?

If you're a 50/50 agnostic on the topic of existence, I don't even think that's possible. Either you believe it exists or you don't. You can't "maybe" believe it.

john!

Smash Hero
it's one of two definitions, and is a very poor definition because atheism is more than the lack of theism. other non-atheist positions (such as theological noncognitivism) also lack theism.

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
i think "50/50 agnostic" means that you lack belief in both theism and atheism
With some indifference as well, right?

Meowth - I want to be a good person too. But I feel like if I were an atheist, I wouldn't even know what that means if I thought about it. Thoughts?

Psycho - From what I've heard, which isn't really a lot, two aspects of Scientology that attract people (surely there are more) are 1) that you can be legally exempted from taxes by joining the church, and 2) that it's kinda fun because it feels like you're part of an exclusive club. And its actual beliefs are rather outlandish which I'm sure lends itself to the fun aspect. So, it's a religion in that it has a set of metaphysical/spiritual beliefs and what not, but I don't really know if people join it because they're seeking any kind of deeper meaning in life. I hope someone here knows more than I do. This is a harsh statement, but in general, I think religion isn't religion if someone just adds it into their lives like they would add guitar practice into their lives. Religion ought to shape one's life/mindset/belief system, because it attempts to find meaning in life.

Dre - I'm really intrigued, I want to hear about this metaphysical necessity.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
What do you mean by 50/50? Whether or not god would be necessary or on the topic of god's existence?

If you're a 50/50 agnostic on the topic of existence, I don't even think that's possible. Either you believe it exists or you don't. You can't "maybe" believe it.
Not just 50/50 on whether he exists, but 50/50 on whether the he's necessary ie. the world could conceivably exist without him.

Many agnostics are unsure, but will believe only if presented with physical evidence, that shows they believe is not the only potential creator of the universe.

My take on agnosticism and all that is an outlier and doesn't reflect current trends in contemporary philosophy of religion.

As for experience and knowledge, not all things are known by experience. For example the law that nothing can exist and not exist at the same time.

This isn't concluded because of experience. Our lack of experience of it doesn't conclude it's impossible, it's what's called a priori knowledge that concludes it's impossible.

:phone:

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
it's one of two definitions, and is a very poor definition because atheism is more than the lack of theism. other non-atheist positions (such as theological noncognitivism) also lack theism.
Atheism is more than the lack of theism? Pretty sure theists are people who assert the existence of a deity, and an atheist is one who denies it. What conditions are necessary (or sufficient for that matter) for being an atheist?

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
People like to throw extra things in the definition of atheism. They say, "Well if you believe there is no god, you MUST believe x, y, and z."

john!

Smash Hero
There's so much wrong with that statement that I'm not going to bother explaining what it is.
good, because i've talked with plenty of atheists like you who like to pretend that they don't believe anything, and you'd probably get demolished by me if you tried to defend your belief that you don't have beliefs.

D

Deleted member

People like to throw extra things in the definition of atheism. They say, "Well if you believe there is no god, you MUST believe x, y, and z."
you believe there is no god, which is just as much a positive claim as "there is a god" is

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
good, because i've talked with plenty of atheists like you who like to pretend that they don't believe anything, and you'd probably get demolished by me if you tried to defend your belief that you don't have beliefs.
O_O He isn't saying he feels that way, in fact... you are the one who said it, and he is the one that criticized it. Am I missing something here?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Well metaphysically you do believe x y and z if you're an atheist.

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
you believe there is no god, which is just as much a positive claim as "there is a god" is
How so? What evidence could you provide that something does not exist?

Is "there are no unicorns" a positive assertion or the denial of an assertion? The sentence is logically a negation of the statement "there are unicorns". "There are unicorns" is the positive claim, and you would need to provide evidence for it. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim, not the person denying it.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
How so? What evidence could you provide that something does not exist?

Is "there are no unicorns" a positive assertion or the denial of an assertion? The sentence is logically a negation of the statement "there are unicorns". "There are unicorns" is the positive claim, and you would need to provide evidence for it. The burden of proof is on the person making the claim, not the person denying it.
Oh boy. *waits for Dre to comment on this*

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Oh boy. *waits for Dre to comment on this*
He's not entirely wrong, except that what he's saying only applies to empirical statements, not metaphysical ones.

Also, you can show that certain things don't exist if their properties are internally contradictory eg. a married bachelor. Some people would say that the idea of a good God is contradictory given the existence of evil.

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
He's not entirely wrong, except that what he's saying only applies to empirical statements, not metaphysical ones.

Also, you can show that certain things don't exist if their properties are internally contradictory eg. a married bachelor. Some people would say that the idea of a good God is contradictory given the existence of evil.

Understandable, but how could one prove a metaphysical statement?

Here, you have only proven that something doesn't exist by extension. In reality, it isn't that it doesn't exist, its that it can't exist. That is a much stronger claim. We can assert that God cannot exist on the logical basis that he is contradictory, but assuming he can be logically conceived (and therefore could exist), what constitutes evidence that he does/doesn't?

Here, I am particularly interested in evidence for the lack of something's existence (other than having contradictory properties).

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Understandable, but how could one prove a metaphysical statement?

Here, you have only proven that something doesn't exist by extension. In reality, it isn't that it doesn't exist, its that it can't exist. That is a much stronger claim. We can assert that God cannot exist on the logical basis that he is contradictory, but assuming he can be logically conceived (and therefore could exist), what constitutes evidence that he does/doesn't?

Here, I am particularly interested in evidence for the lack of something's existence (other than having contradictory properties).
By having it metaphysically necessary for a proposition to be true (proving that is couldn't be any other way).

To say something can't exist is the only way to actually say it doesn't exist, for the only way for one to say it doesn't exist is if it couldn't exist. Empirically, logically, metaphysically, or physically, things can be verified, positive or negative, through any of those methods.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Well metaphysically you do believe x y and z if you're an atheist.

But that's irrelevant to what an atheist is. I only go so far as to deny the theistic claim. Anything else is irrelevant.

And for the record, there is a discrete difference between rejecting the theistic claim and saying "there is no god."

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
By having it metaphysically necessary for a proposition to be true (proving that is couldn't be any other way).

To say something can't exist is the only way to actually say it doesn't exist, for the only way for one to say it doesn't exist is if it couldn't exist. Empirically, logically, metaphysically, or physically, things can be verified, positive or negative, through any of those methods.
But how would you prove it was no other way? You see, it could be anything other than god. He doesn't have to be omnipotent, or immaterial, or any of the other notions of god. It could be god, the same way it could be anything else. We have no reason to suggest that it is god, or even that we were created. That would be an invalid conclusion given our very small amount of evidence. There would be no way to prove it couldn't be any other way, what evidence would there be to show it has to be god?

crawlshots

Smash Apprentice
^I feel like this calls for a defining of "god". You say "it could be god, the same way it could be anything else". If someone could reveal convincing metaphysical necessity that proves that the universe is the product of a creator (which I don't think is too outlandish)... even if we someday physically encountered a being who created the universe... would he automatically have the title of god? What does a being have to do/be to be God?

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
But how would you prove it was no other way? You see, it could be anything other than god. He doesn't have to be omnipotent, or immaterial, or any of the other notions of god. It could be god, the same way it could be anything else. We have no reason to suggest that it is god, or even that we were created. That would be an invalid conclusion given our very small amount of evidence. There would be no way to prove it couldn't be any other way, what evidence would there be to show it has to be god?
You're assuming a lot here.

Metaphysical arguments attempt to show why God is necessary, but you'd have to understand metaphysics to comprehend them.

TeSik

Smash Cadet
sounds pretty classic
"god exists, you're just too uneducated to understand why" lol

most metaphysical arguments look like this: stuff always has a cause, as it cannot create itself. so the universe has a cause too. let's assume god is a necessary being that cannot not exist (that means to deny god's existance would be a contradiction in itself) et voilá, god exists.

problem is that logically you cannot say if god was the first cause of all or if it was something else. then it is no contradiction in itself to say "god does not exist" plus the word "to exist" is no predicate in metaphysics, which is why the expression "god exists" has no meaning really.

you cannot prove the necessity of god logically once and for all. it's up to your attitude in the end. it's just like when you try to find arguments, you'll always find them. doesn't matter.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
The problem I have with 'proving things metaphysically' is just exactly that. Metaphysics is just a form of philosophical thinking, is it not? What people want is proof of it, not thought experiments. Philosophy can't really prove anything to this extent.

TeSik

Smash Cadet
that's why i find all these discussions unnecessary.. everyone has to find out on his own, faith is what you make it

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
And I don't like faith either. Faith is unjustifiable. Nobody, at least me, is interested in 'personal truths'.

Holder of the Heel

NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
that's your faith then.
Not if it has sufficient reasoning, it isn't.

The problem I have with 'proving things metaphysically' is just exactly that. Metaphysics is just a form of philosophical thinking, is it not? What people want is proof of it, not thought experiments. Philosophy can't really prove anything to this extent.
What are you thinking, that metaphysical thinking are actually just meaningless thoughts? Are you kidding me? O_O

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
I went over a lot of this some pages ago. The metaphysical, by virtue of being metaphysical, is something whose properties we can't comprehend. We can know that a metaphysical things "exists" but we cannot know in what way it exists. We can't know whether or not it is good or evil, one or two, big or small, omnipotent, immaterial, or any other adjective that we typically use to describe physical, observable things. As entities of the natural world, we can only understand things by relating them to natural concepts, but a metaphysical thing may not, and likely is not, subject to any of the natural concepts that we can understand. Therefore the question of the qualities of the metaphysical "god" is invalid, in fact, the entire notion of their being "qualities" to a "god" at all is invalid because we have no way of knowing whether we can understand that metaphysical entity in this way. We can only know what we can conclude from necessity: that it exists and that it created (at least) the most basic entity of our natural existence (energy, the big bang, or whatever).

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Why even bother calling "it" a "god" then. That's just opening the door for people to fill the claim with religious nonsense to make themselves feel better.

"Well, if you think of it this way, there MAY be something LIKE what you MIGHT think a god to be like, so because that's out of the way I'll just refer to it as Odin and let's continue this discussion about Asgard."

MuraRengan

Banned via Warnings
Why even bother calling "it" a "god" then. That's just opening the door for people to fill the claim with religious nonsense to make themselves feel better.

"Well, if you think of it this way, there MAY be something LIKE what you MIGHT think a god to be like, so because that's out of the way I'll just refer to it as Odin and let's continue this discussion about Asgard."
I agree, calling it a god is misleading, but "god" is pretty much the only term we have that relates to the entire concept. I mean, this kind of thought isn't exactly popular, so it would be hard to coin and force another term on people at the time being.

Philosophy provides a logical basis for deduction in the absence of proof. We philosophize on the premise that we understand how reality works, and that given a set of circumstances something will logically be concluded. Of course philosophy doesn't prove anything, but it gives us a hint of what and how things will or can be proven. It's a guide that helps us to know the unknown without having to wait until science does it for us. Theoretically, as long as the logic of a philosophical argument is sound, that argument should be considered true. It's a very useful utility, given that if we didn't philosophize, we'd often be stuck in ignorance, waiting for science or someone else to tell us what's true and false with empirical fact. We'd never have any basis for understanding or questioning anything.

Perhaps proof of the metaphysical will come, but we don't have it yet. What we have is logical reason to believe that it exists, based on how we understand reality, and as long as reality follows this logic, we know that it does exist, proof or not.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I haven't read this thread fully. Far from it infact.

I would, however, like to point out that your argument assumes time to be a linear flow as is generally perceived to be the case. Make of this what you will but I, for one, believe this to be one of many flawed human assumptions. Time is, mathematically, no different from space. The only real difference is that the human mind is subject to change with time so we have no way of objectively observing the phenomenon.

If I walk to the other side of the room it doesn't negate my argument but if I go back 5 minutes I haven't even seen this thread yet for example.

As for my religious beliefs, my cynical worldview does not allow for the existence of a deity who isn't a complete and utter gender appropriate B-word so I'd rather believe it's humanity that screws me over at every turn.

kataklysm336

Smash Cadet
^I feel like this calls for a defining of "god". You say "it could be god, the same way it could be anything else". If someone could reveal convincing metaphysical necessity that proves that the universe is the product of a creator (which I don't think is too outlandish)... even if we someday physically encountered a being who created the universe... would he automatically have the title of god? What does a being have to do/be to be God?
I am using it as most people mean it. A entity that is omnipotent, omniscience, omnibeneveleant, immaterial, and the creator of the universe.

You're assuming a lot here.

Metaphysical arguments attempt to show why God is necessary, but you'd have to understand metaphysics to comprehend them.
Dre, I am disappointed. This is such a cop-out. "I have plenty of evidence, but I can't tell you any because you won't understand." I expected a better argument from someone who seems well versed in philosophy.

I went over a lot of this some pages ago. The metaphysical, by virtue of being metaphysical, is something whose properties we can't comprehend. We can know that a metaphysical things "exists" but we cannot know in what way it exists. We can't know whether or not it is good or evil, one or two, big or small, omnipotent, immaterial, or any other adjective that we typically use to describe physical, observable things. As entities of the natural world, we can only understand things by relating them to natural concepts, but a metaphysical thing may not, and likely is not, subject to any of the natural concepts that we can understand. Therefore the question of the qualities of the metaphysical "god" is invalid, in fact, the entire notion of their being "qualities" to a "god" at all is invalid because we have no way of knowing whether we can understand that metaphysical entity in this way. We can only know what we can conclude from necessity: that it exists and that it created (at least) the most basic entity of our natural existence (energy, the big bang, or whatever).
I agree completely, but it still does not address my question. How can we show that he was anymore necessary than anything else? How did you conclude that it exists and it created anything?

One could say "Everything we understand has a cause, therefore the universe must have a cause" a statement which clearly commits the fallacy of composition. When you say it is metaphysically necessary, you are essentially saying that god creating us is the only theory that makes sense. But it isn't. The only information we have to go on is "We exist", that is not enough to posit that we were created, or to further suggest that another being did it.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
you guys can have me totally lost...

But i have question:

In theory God made the universe right?

In order for the universe to be made wouldn't God have to have written the code for existence to keep things in?

wouldn't that mean god was present before it was possible to exist?

Would that mean that god can be present whether god exists or not?

and that we are all going the wrong way trying to say that there is a physical being, element, ghost etc?

D

Deleted member

therefore the universe must have a cause" a statement which clearly commits the fallacy of composition.
so the universe "just" happened?

Top Bottom