• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why hasn't Zelda been placing better in tournaments?

goodkid

Smash Lord
People don't play Zelda because many are just not interested with her moveset. Zelda can not be played well with careless spamming of her smash attacks. She is a little slow, & most players that choose a slower char., Zelda doesn't really come to mind.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Well I didn't realize the community was truly that shallow overall. I can't get to tournaments because... well, none happen in my area and I can't just up and leave whenever I want to. Not to mention that my Zelda is, overall, mediocre and I'm horrible with Sheik. The idea would be to practice... but I'm currently more dedicated to Ness than I am to Zelda, and I'm more dedicated to PT than Sheik. I guess I feel discouraged whenever I play Zelda, and even if I can win friendlies with her, it's not like I'd ever amount to anything decent with her at this rate. Learning Sheik would boost my Zelda, but I already lack dedication.

If I had more access to offline play, as in KNOWING people that I could play, then I'd have my practice right there, but I don't have it. So yeah, I'm part of the "doesn't show up to tournaments" group. Maybe one day in the future...
yeah... I essentially mirror this... though my Zelda and shiek are better than Raph's... they still aren't amazing or anything.... and dang I can't get enough real life play in <_<

*sigh*

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
I r becoming confused...

I've been placing high at tourneys with decent attendance with Ike (Top 10), but I've been testing Zelda out lately and think I want to switch to her. She's so fun to play, plus she's way more underrepresented than Ike! And that's saying something here on the West Coast. >.>

All this talk about how bad she's done lately is both putting me off and bolstering me...any suggestions?

NOTE: And to stay in line with the topic, you can't win tournaments if you don't show up. Unless your DSF.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I r becoming confused...

I've been placing high at tourneys with decent attendance with Ike (Top 10), but I've been testing Zelda out lately and think I want to switch to her. She's so fun to play, plus she's way more underrepresented than Ike! And that's saying something here on the West Coast. >.>

All this talk about how bad she's done lately is both putting me off and bolstering me...any suggestions?

NOTE: And to stay in line with the topic, you can't win tournaments if you don't show up. Unless your DSF.
Zelda is an investment... you need to learn both Zelda... and shiek... but if you can do that... it'll pay dividends... trust me... BUT... you have to be careful not to make mistakes with her... she's not too kind to retaliation.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
He has been all week, stop sucking up in an attempt to buddy buddy and actually check his channel.
Are you talking about his youtube channel? I checked that and there was only one new thing, atleast for me. Is there some other channel I am unaware of?

Darkmusician

Smash Master
I've been uploading videos almost everyday for the past month or so. If you've been keeping up with all of my uploads till now then that's fine.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I've been uploading videos almost everyday for the past month or so. If you've been keeping up with all of my uploads till now then that's fine.
I haven't been... have you started dual maining yet? or are you still straight Zelda?

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
No I only use Zelda. I'm not saying it's better either way. Just not my style.
fair enough... shiek is a BIG change up from Zelda.... at the very least it CERTAINLY makes you harder to counterpick... but keep doing what you're doing... it'll help everyone with learning how Zelda really can fare against other characters.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
i play online quite regulary. i can't attend any tourneys yet and my offline friends currently range from crappy-fair, depending othe character they pick. i just started working on my Zelda a bit more, then my Wii decided brawls not gonna work........
:( but anyway i think i improve from online play when i fight good people, you know the ones who don't jump into Usmash.

D

Deleted member

DM's new matches are hella good, i subscribed so i would know lol

Ztarfish

Smash Journeyman
Not to flog a dead horse or anything, but it's cause not many Zelda-ers enter tournaments with any other intention than to spam Din's fire and hope they fall into an upsmash.

I'm sure even a quick poll of this board would yield very poor results as to how many people go to tournaments and how many of those use mainly Zelda.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Not to flog a dead horse or anything, but it's cause not many Zelda-ers enter tournaments with any other intention than to spam Din's fire and hope they fall into an upsmash.

I'm sure even a quick poll of this board would yield very poor results as to how many people go to tournaments and how many of those use mainly Zelda.
I go to only local tournies... and I use Zelda/Shiek... religiously... I used to bust sonic out for olimars, but now I've managed to do quite well against him with shiek... so few characters can merit a switch... thouugh I feel more comfortable against most marths with Jiggly and against most peaches with link.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
Well I would rep Zelda in the CO fort collins area. If anybody hears of any tournies out there please drop me a line. I played around with Shiek a lot the past week but unless a match requires his use... I will stay a pure Zelda. Zelda is my main and she will always be close to my heart.

shuro

Smash Rookie
On Guam, my Zelda places top 2, but that's because the closest thing to "a decent player," other than my friend, can't dodge/get around Toon Link arrow spam while using MK. And the Toon Link player wasn't even looking at the screen -_-

Honestly, I really don't find anything useful on the Zelda boards other than S2 and Luthien's guides. If more people played her, chances are something will be discovered that improves Zelda's metagame. Love jump was nice and all, but not gamebreaking. Hell, it's rarely used from what I see on Youtube : /

-lurks-

Zephron

Smash Ace
Ugh... I've played Zelda a lot, and mainly because it was fun at first to L kick and all that junk. I feel that I have a horrible Zelda because, frankly, I didn't know half of the stuff you guys said. Dins fire? I considered it to be a good projectile. I spam smashes, etc. (Noob much?)

I searched this forum to improve with Zelda because I knew I needed help... I found tons of fun looking snapshots and Luthien's FW guide. They helped my Zelda game a bit, but I couldnt find like any AT's, and I still dont know what a Hyphen is. Yeah I know its a < > but as for Zelda idk

In the eyes of someone new to the forum looking for improvement... I couldnt really find all that I wanted. I'm sure everyone can improve if some dedication is summoned.

Hope there wasnt some thread in the forum that I missed that makes this post void ._.

S2

Smash Lord
Well one thing that doesn't help Zelda concerning ATs is

1.) She doesn't have all that many ATs specific to her (although it's always possible there is something that hasn't been discovered yet)

2.) She doesn't benefit from some universal ATs as much as other characters do.

Hyphen Smashing still works really well and there are some other little things, but Zelda doesn't have anything like Snake's Mortar slide.

Then again, as I've mentioned before... it's harder to find character-specific ATs when a character's fanbase is smaller. Zelda doesn't have as many dedicated players as Meta/Snake/etc. The Zelda community is small, loyal, but small (at least by comparison).

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
Is it just me, or do a lot of the newbies have the really groundbreaking ATs? I would think that Melee and 64 characters would lack a lot of major ATs because everyone knew about them in Melee and decided to remove them when coming to Brawl. An example is her ability to stall the ledge with Farore's in Melee. You know, just use Farore's right at the edge and she can grab it again, being virtually safe from pretty much everything. Not that it'd be something amazing in Brawl anyway, but having things to look at and actively take out hurt her and other pre-Brawlers. Zelda might have some things still going for her that we haven't found yet, but it's doubtful.

So, that said, I think we better try to find some other ways to land more lightning kicks!

Zephron

Smash Ace
Isnt there a topic for that? O.o
I'm really bummed she doesn't have more AT's. Maybe it's just strategies and controlled situations Zelda can make and control to get spikes and kicks on, and thats her replacement AT's.

RedSnowman

Smash Apprentice
Just takes a little bit of practice. :]
Agreed. There was a while when my roomie got really solid at spot dodging that I took my lightning kicks completely out of my game. Then I got better and now they are a punishing tool and are useful in a lot of situations. I still can't use them like DM but it's nice to have them. Hey by the way DM do you have a different controller setup? Like do you set the c-stick to do something else or do you go with default?

Zephron

Smash Ace
Yeah. I always wonder if they use smash, tilt, special (Doubt it) or like shield. I usually just do smash so I can do a quick downsmash to punish. (Not too good at L kicking to punish yet. Cant wait till I am!)

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Tap jump annoys me, i'll try to do a tilt and I accidentally jump, i'd much rather have it off.

GodAtHand

Smash Lord
This has been bothering me for a while, and because this thread is popular and I don't feel like making a new thread for just one question I have decided to post it here...

Question: We all know that Zelda's fair and bair have a sweetspot and a sourspot, and we all know that progressive decay makes moves you use often without using moves in between lose damage percentage and don't send the opponents flying as far as it should. My question is do Zelda's bair and fair count as different moves even though they are both lightning kicks? And do sourspotted lightning kicks and sweetspotted lightning kicks count as different moves?

Simple question = If I hit with 19 sourspotted lightning kicks then finally land a sweetspotted one will it be as strong as if I had just hit with the sweetspot in the first place? (I don't have this problem just curious)

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Wow, it's good to know some people don't sourspot so much that they discovered this day 2 (like me)

Math question: If you hit someone with 19 sourspots and then sweetspotted, would they die anyway if they started at 0%?

Oh Snap

Smash Ace
NNID
iSwallow
You'd want to wait till you sourspot 20 bairs/fairs cuz I think moves refresh themselves every 10 times you use them XD

Zephron

Smash Ace
Moving on... We need to have people go to tournies and stuff so DM isn't alone all the time <.<
I dont think I'm worthy of a tourny ATM, but if you guys could help me and other Zelda's get better, perhaps.
Everyone keeps saying you guys need dedication... well.. get cracking ppl :p

Also: New Zelly sig xD Got cut off tho Q.Q

Top Bottom