• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why does the Smash community have a stigma against sword-wielders?

gr33nsl33v3s

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6080-4024-4064
Look, I just think Smash handles them poorly.
Out of all the 16 wielders (not counting :ultganondorf: who only uses it in smashes) :ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ulttoonlink::ultyounglink::ultmetaknight:

-3 of them are Links. :ultyounglink::ulttoonlink::ultlink:
-7 of them are FE characters :ultchrom::ultroy::ultrobin::ultlucina::ultmarth::ultcorrin::ultike: with 3 of them being rehashed off Marth aesthetic wise :ultlucina::ultroy::ultchrom:
-3 of them are Echoes :ultdarkpit::ultchrom::ultlucina:
-13 of them are “anime styled” :ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultike::ultlink::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultrobin::ultroy::ultchrom::ultshulk::ultyounglink: with 3 being cartoony :ultmetaknight::ulttoonlink::ultmiifighters:
-6 of them were newcomers in Smash 4 which solidfied the infamous argument and is mostly the blame for it.:ultshulk::ultrobin::ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultcorrin::ultcloud:

Needless to say, the variety and diversity in Swordfighters is pretty abysmal to the point where only so few of them actually stand out without being a Link variant/echo/FE character.

So yeah, it’s not valid argument and there’s no reason to worry about them in a roster of 70+ fighters but I can’t deny that Smash has given swords a bad reputation otherwise.
So... you don't count Greninja because Kunai aren't swords? And don't count Kirby either? Even tho my main issue with Kirby mains is up b spam into down b. Even if they lose... it sucks the fun out of a match. Is the Mii in there...Cant tell. And the dlc leak has all but confirmed it's another sword user. Whether Sora, Erdrick or someone else I think 20 sword users is a lot. I guess I'm also counting Zelda...so fine, 19. Honestly wouldn't you rather see Toad, Wart, THE Contra soldiers, Battletoads or someone else classic? Even a classic sword user like Arthur from G&G or Ryu Hyabusafrom Ninja Gaiden would be more interesting than Sora

Last edited:

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Well, his name is Sylux. I had to look it up to be fair. But You better tell Nintendo that a character they created and have plans for in Prime 4 doesn't exist. But I won't laugh at you like you did. Cause I'm not mean. Besides... Sylux aside... what about the others!?!?!
Nothing has been announced about Sylux being in Metroid Prime as of now. You are overrating his importance.

The irony was that while you were saying that there are better characters to pick off than from Fire Emblem, you couldn't even name most of them. Yet somehow an unknown guy, according to your post, is better off than a Fire Emblem character because they don't use a sword.

The second irony is you are saying that FE is relatively new, when it isn't. The series started back in 1990. It has plenty of seniority in Nintendo's history.
Then you go ahead and list potential choices from the 80s... which include Candy Kong and Funky Kong, who debutted in the mid 90s; Zelda characters, who most of them debutted late 90s and forward; and whatshisname from the Metroid Prime series, which is from the early 2000s; and "many more", which could range from Mach Rider to Obama And Satoru Iwata..
And I'm sure that Candy Kong isn't even popular enough within fans of her series.

Last edited:

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I would be fine with it if there were just as many gunner character, or more cartoony swordsmen.

As far as I know, the characters I would count as gunners are:

:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultmegaman::ultbayonetta::ultinkling::ultmiifighters: and :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf::ultzss: for certain moves. So it's pretty uneven. Tracer as DLC would help.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Honestly wouldn't you rather see Toad-
Yes. Yes I would.

Although personally after playing Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors I'd rather have Lyndis and Impa, two additional swords(wo)men than anyone else on your list because I personally think those two girls are kinda notable Nintendo owned characters. Impa and Lyn would most likely still have some overlap with other characters too, but I'd okay with Impa overlapping slightly with Cloud/Sheik/Greninja or Lyn with Metaknight/Greninja/Lucario.

I'd rather not have an ymore Marth variants though. I think after Chrom's addition we're good for that.

I think it's fine to dislike the sheer amount of swordsmen though. I also think "too many anime swordsmen" is okay to believe even if it's not very eloquently put. Aesthetically the characters, unless you're familiar with them, do all look pretty similar. Still want Lyndis and Impa though.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well, his name is Sylux. I had to look it up to be fair. But You better tell Nintendo that a character they created and have plans for in Prime 4 doesn't exist. But I won't laugh at you like you did. Cause I'm not mean. Besides... Sylux aside... what about the others!?!?!
Stylus doesn't appear in one of those games. Your statement that there was any character in those three games aside from Samus was wrong. That's why I laughed.

Besides, why put Sylux in when he hasn't done anything. Like at all. Metroid now has every reoccurring character worth a damn that can feasibly work. There is no reason to add Sylux.

No comment on the others, the Metroid thing just made me laugh.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
So... you don't count Greninja because Kunai aren't swords? And don't count Kirby either? Even tho my main issue with Kirby mains is up b spam into down b. Even if they lose... it sucks the fun out of a match. Is the Mii in there...Cant tell. And the dlc leak has all but confirmed it's another sword user. Whether Sora, Erdrick or someone else I think 20 sword users is a lot. I guess I'm also counting Zelda...so fine, 19. Honestly wouldn't you rather see Toad, Wart, THE Contra soldiers, Battletoads or someone else classic? Even a classic sword user like Arthur from G&G or Ryu Hyabusafrom Ninja Gaiden would be more interesting than Sora
I have to agree that all of those characters would be better than Sora but your definition of sword wielder is inconsistent. You're implying that any fighter who uses a sword in even one of their attacks (Like Kirby and Zelda, ironically Kirby doesn't use a sword, he uses his cutter) are lumped together with fighters like Marth and Ike who use swords in all of their attacks, and there's obviously a fine difference there.

gr33nsl33v3s

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6080-4024-4064
Stylus doesn't appear in one of those games. Your statement that there was any character in those three games aside from Samus was wrong. That's why I laughed.

Besides, why put Sylux in when he hasn't done anything. Like at all. Metroid now has every reoccurring character worth a damn that can feasibly work. There is no reason to add Sylux.

No comment on the others, the Metroid thing just made me laugh.
Fair enough. Syluxmay not have earned a spot, Metroid is a lonely protag type of franchise. Adding Kraid or Mother Brain would to say the least be...difficult. Kraid honestly could work... he only was uber huge in the send version but my whole point is just about finishing up the classic NES character roster as I said previously. Hell, Paperboy for DLC would ROCK LOL.

Yes. Yes I would.

Although personally after playing Fire Emblem Warriors and Hyrule Warriors I'd rather have Lyndis and Impa, two additional swords(wo)men than anyone else on your list because I personally think those two girls are kinda notable Nintendo owned characters. Impa and Lyn would most likely still have some overlap with other characters too, but I'd okay with Impa overlapping slightly with Cloud/Sheik/Greninja or Lyn with Metaknight/Greninja/Lucario.

I'd rather not have an ymore Marth variants though. I think after Chrom's addition we're good for that.

I think it's fine to dislike the sheer amount of swordsmen though. I also think "too many anime swordsmen" is okay to believe even if it's not very eloquently put. Aesthetically the characters, unless you're familiar with them, do all look pretty similar. Still want Lyndis and Impa though.
Impa could be very interesting. I'd like to see thoughts on her moveset. Healjng/absorption with bottles-based I guess? Tosses around fairies and hearts? Sounds OP lol.... But I like it. This game needs more LoZ characters too but suffers from only a few recurring faces. I suppose Skullkid is do-able... What I really would like to see is Vaati or Agahnim or Veran. They would be cool. Also where the heck is Tetra? Or some kind of Pokemon trainer character that summons stalfos, wizzrobes and molblins. THAT would be sick.

Last edited:

gr33nsl33v3s

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-6080-4024-4064
Nothing has been announced about Sylux being in Metroid Prime as of now. You are overrating his importance.

The irony was that while you were saying that there are better characters to pick off than from Fire Emblem, you couldn't even name most of them. Yet somehow an unknown guy, according to your post, is better off than a Fire Emblem character because they don't use a sword.

The second irony is you are saying that FE is relatively new, when it isn't. The series started back in 1990. It has plenty of seniority in Nintendo's history.
Then you go ahead and list potential choices from the 80s... which include Candy Kong and Funky Kong, who debutted in the mid 90s; Zelda characters, who most of them debutted late 90s and forward; and whatshisname from the Metroid Prime series, which is from the early 2000s; and "many more", which could range from Mach Rider to Obama And Satoru Iwata..
And I'm sure that Candy Kong isn't even popular enough within fans of her series.
Why are people online like this? I'm sure if we were standing next to each other, this wouldn't sound so combative. I'm not going to argue anymore but if you truly don't believe Nintendo has any plans for the character, just search online. I could totally be wrong. And I'm okay with that. As far as FE vs. The others.... FE wasnt in the states until the GBA and GameCube, which doesn't make them any less or anything, but DKs characters have been around since before the NES even existed. Thats all. And even if you discount arcade machines pre-nintendo then DK Country is still before FEcharacters came to the US and I think are just more recognizable is all. Go hold up a picture of Donkey Kong and Marth to your Dad. Who is he gonna know better if at all? DKfranchise overall is just more recognizable to someone than FE. Regardless of release.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Why are people online like this? I'm sure if we were standing next to each other, this wouldn't sound so combative. I'm not going to argue anymore but if you truly don't believe Nintendo has any plans for the character, just search online. I could totally be wrong. And I'm okay with that. As far as FE vs. The others.... FE wasnt in the states until the GBA and GameCube, which doesn't make them any less or anything, but DKs characters have been around since before the NES even existed. Thats all. And even if you discount arcade machines pre-nintendo then DK Country is still before FEcharacters came to the US and I think are just more recognizable is all. Go hold up a picture of Donkey Kong and Marth to your Dad. Who is he gonna know better if at all? DKfranchise overall is just more recognizable to someone than FE. Regardless of release.
I didn't mean to sound combative and I apologize if I was. Don't let this exchange put you off from this place.

I'm not going to continue with the discussion, but I'll just have to disagree with you.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Asking who someone's parents know isn't really a good metric. Otherwise the roster would literally just be :ultmario::ultluigi::ultdk::ultpikachu::ultsonic::ultpacman: and MAYBE :ultcharizard: and :ultmewtwo:, depending on how old the person's parents are.

Like, you wouldn't even get :ultlink: since if they named him at all, they'd name him Zelda.

Raftina

Smash Rookie
It's turned from people discussing the aesthetic of sword wielders to a debate if whether or not Roy is a clone of Marth anymore. Because Fire Emblem can never stay out of a thread.
It is because a lot (though not all) of the supposed dislike of swords is really backwards constructed arguments to rationalize a dislike of Fire Emblem (and sometimes Xenoblade). I will pick on a couple of posts on the same page as illustrations of what I mean.

I don't consider any of the Links as primarily sword characters due to their other tools being prevalent.
To seanbean's credit, he acknowledges the likelihood that he dislikes Fire Emblem characters because he has not played their games--something I suspect applies to a lot of the other users as well--, so I do not accuse him of hypocrisy. I merely pick out this portion of the post to illustrate the problem identified.

Link has the 10 moves that do not use his sword:
neutral aerial (flying kick)
back aerial (hook kick)
grab (hand)
forward throw (front kick)
back throw (back kick)
down throw (elbow drop)
neutral special (bow)
side special (boomerang)
down special (bomb)
final smash (light bow)

Young Link and Toon Link have fewer non-sword moves. Both use a sword based final smash. And Toon Link's aerials are sword moves.

Robin has 10 moves that do not use her sword
grab (magic)
forward throw (magic)
back throw (magic)
up throw (magic)
down throw (magic)
neutral special (electricity magic)
side special (fire magic)
up special (wind magic)
down special (dark magic)
final smash (electricity and fire magic)

Not included in this list is that Robin's specials and smashes generate throwable items, which is not directly linked to the normal funciton of the moves. At best the Links merely tie Robin in the number of non-sword moves.

The raw number of non-sword moves is only part of the equation. The other is how they are thematically tied together. Link's non-sword moves consists of 4 tools and moves where he uses parts of his body. Robin's non-sword moves are all magic based: 5 attack spells and 5 magic assisted throws. While Link has a grab bag of non-sword moves, Robin's clearly tie into the theme of a mage. This makes it much more sensible to exclude Robin from the list of swordsmen than it does for Link.

Aesthetically speaking, Link wears a tunic, pants, and boots. He carries a longsword and a shield. He is the platonic ideal of a light swordsman. Robin wears a long coat, carries a book in her left hand, and carries a short sword in the other. Whatever concept that image is supposed to conjure, it certainly is not a typical swordsman. Their animation accentuate this difference. Smash being a cartoon fighter, most of Link's sword moves of course do not correspond to anything practical in real life. But they are powerful slashes and jabs that paint a picture of a confident and skilled swordsman, which is what he is supposed to be in the Zelda games. Robin's slashes and jabs often look weak or awkward, painting the picture of a scholar who happens to carry a sword for self-defense, which again is what she is in Fire Emblem.

Here is an example of giving Link a pass, even though it makes more sense to give Robin a pass on the same grounds.

The whole topic is about Fire Emblem. This was made with the statement that people are aginast sword users in Smash. They aren't. The complaints you hear about Cloud, the Links, Metaknight, and Mii Swordsman rarely boil down to "they're just another sword guy".

People don't have a problem with "just another sowrd guy" they have problems with "generic looking anime knight guy that uses a sword the same way all the other generic anime knight guys use a sword."
Here we can see some other illustrations of bending the categories to bash Fire Emblem.

The first is the use of the term "generic looking anime knight guy". The much more common term is "generic looking anime swordsman". Knight conjures up the image of someone in medium to heavy armor, which would only describe Meta Knight and Corrin (and Link SSB4).

The second is who are supposed to be a "generic looking anime knight guy that uses a sword the same way all the other generic anime knight guys use a sword".

We have Cloud, a spikey haired guy with a shoulder pad and leather gloves, carrying a gigantic two-hander, who swings his sword around in almost all his moves and who sometimes create magical effects by swinging his sword around. Then we have Robin, a twin-tailed girl in a long coat, carrying a short sword in one hand and a book in the other, who casts spells for all her specials and uses lightning shot out of her sword for 40% of her sword moves. And we are supposed to believe that Robin is more accurately described as a "generic looking anime knight guy that uses a sword the same way all the other generic anime knight guys use a sword" than Cloud is? Hardly. And if we use "generic looking anime swordsman", Cloud is among the best poster children for a generic looking anime swordsman, while Robin is more likely to be used for a Dungeons & Dragons character illustration than to represent a generic looking anime swordsman.

You should not be surprised if a topic that is really about why some Smash players really hate Fire Emblem characters to turn into an argument about Fire Emblem characters.

At least you can take comfort in the expectation that in Smash 6 (or wave 2 of the DLCs, if there is one), Shulk, Rex & Pyra would get lumped into the generic anime swordsmen category, even if Rex & Pyra get a unique dual character mechanic.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
:ultlink:

...You mean Robin Hood, right?
No that's :ultyounglink:.

I think a big part of it is people hating anything remotely anime styled. Anti weebs are becoming pretty big. A lot of the weebish characters just happen to have swords.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
The best part is that anime styled characters will always be a thing in Smash because it is a Japanese game, which makes the situation of people hating on them more worthless and hilarious tbh.

Last edited:

XxDiCaprioxX

Smash Rookie
I really dont care about the Number of the Fighters. I think Marth and Lucina are downright Boring, Roy and Chrom are interesting, but still too similar. Other than that, the Links (too many tho) are pretty interesting, Ike is unique in his own way, Meta Knight doesnt really rely on Sword, Corrin has pretty different Techniques with Dragon Lunge and his Juggling Abilities, Cloud has his Limit Break Mechanic, Robin is a half Projectile Character and Ganondorf only has a Sword in his Smashes. And nobody cares for Miis

Mischiiii

Smash Apprentice
I don’t mind. But i guess people don’t like them because they outrage the other characters. I had this problem. That’s why i play Link and Dark Samus.

XxDiCaprioxX

Smash Rookie
I care for Miis.

I actually find them more fun than a third of the roster.
That was more like a Joke bc you cant say something General about Miis, you have 30 possibilities of Combinations for each Mii. This is why you cant say that Mii is individual and innovative or plain and uninspired

Rocketjay8

Smash Journeyman
No that's :ultyounglink:.

I think a big part of it is people hating anything remotely anime styled. Anti weebs are becoming pretty big. A lot of the weebish characters just happen to have swords.
****ing weebs taking away my smash brothers with their wifus and swordsmen!

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
-too many of them
-cowards with attack range and projectiles
-basically bringing a standard/base weapon to a fist fight
-safe hit boxes
-speedy
-this is smash not soulcalibur
-theyre not fun to watch
-all of them are generic

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
-too many of them
-cowards with attack range and projectiles
-basically bringing a standard/base weapon to a fist fight
-safe hit boxes
-speedy
-this is smash not soulcalibur
-theyre not fun to watch
-all of them are generic
Did you just unironically call fictional characters cowards? Or was that a jab towards their players? Either way I'm disappointed.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
That's just ignorance speaking.

HOO BOY wait until you hear about gun users...
My opinion, not ignorance, watching them play is boring and there all generic in a sense of no wow-factor or interesting compared to others like c falcon pikachu fox ness kirby etc etc etc etc etc. Dont care about gun users, this is about swords.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
My opinion, not ignorance, watching them play is boring and there all generic in a sense of no wow-factor or interesting compared to others like c falcon pikachu fox ness kirby etc etc etc etc etc. Dont care about gun users, this is about swords.
In that case, in your opinion, what makes Captain Falcon more inherently interesting over someone like Marth?

D

Deleted member

User was warned for this post; off-topic spam
No you guys have a stigma against the man in my profile picture. Can't say his name because that's apparently an offensive slur

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
In that case, in your opinion, what makes Captain Falcon more inherently interesting over someone like Marth?
-does more than just swing a sword for every attack: theres a flashy flaming kick, a flashy dramatic flaming punch, a electric knee stun, a cool flaming dash uppercut, neutral air spin-kick, cool unique recovery that can be used again with succession, no projectiles or a typical boring weapon like a sword just flashy super powers, fun voice acting (hes one of the few characters that brings life to a ffa when other characters seem like lifeless robots) ....

U chose the wrong character to compare marth to

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
-does more than just swing a sword for every attack: theres a flashy flaming kick, a flashy dramatic flaming punch, a electric knee stun, a cool flaming dash uppercut, neutral air spin-kick, cool unique recovery that can be used again with succession, no projectiles or a typical boring weapon like a sword just flashy super powers, fun voice acting (hes one of the few characters that brings life to a ffa when other characters seem like lifeless robots) ....

U chose the wrong character to compare marth to
Sounds like a lot of standard punches and kicks to me. And Marth has good voice acting as well, so that point is moot. Add in a unique tipper mechanic that rewards you even further for perfect spacing and I think Marth is much more dynamic.

So what was your point again?

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
Sounds like a lot of standard punches and kicks to me. And Marth has good voice acting as well, so that point is moot. Add in a unique tipper mechanic that rewards you even further for perfect spacing and I think Marth is much more dynamic.

So what was your point again?
That its my opinion and going back and forth with you and, arguing about nothing is irrelevant and, a waste. Idc if you like sword characters, idc what you think, good for you. i said what i thought about them, get over it man. All your gonna do is bait these ****ing infraction-happy moderators.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
That its my opinion and going back and forth with you and, arguing about nothing is irrelevant and, a waste. Idc if you like sword characters, idc what you think, good for you. i said what i thought about them, get over it man. All your gonna do is bait these ****ing infraction-happy moderators.
That's the great thing about public forums. I'm allowed to talk to people and give my views on their views. I just think you're being inconsistent.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
That's the great thing about public forums. I'm allowed to talk to people and give my views on their views. I just think you're being inconsistent.
Well, thats too bad then. I dont post on forums with a subconcious need for anyones approval or likes. :/

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Well, thats too bad then. I dont post on forums with a subconcious need for anyones approval or likes. :/
...Neither do I? Back and forth discussion is kind of the whole point of an Internet forum lol.

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
...Neither do I? Back and forth discussion is kind of the whole point of an Internet forum lol.
Yea i know, i get what youre saying.. im sorry. These mods have just been on my case hard on this site. But falcons attacks arent "standard" punches and kicks..a falcon punch is not a standard punch, a falcon kick is not a standard kick. Everything falcon does is flashy whereas all of marth attacks are with his sword..falcon has a variety of different ways to attack his opponents with just his limbs and fist and great special effects. Not just a sword for every smash finisher or neutral attacks.

Last edited:

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yea i know, i get what youre saying.. im sorry. These mods have just been on my case hard on this site. But falcons attacks arent "standard" punches and kicks..a falcon punch is not a standard punch, a falcon kick is not a standard kick. Everything falcon does is flashy whereas all of marth attacks are with his sword..falcon has a variety of different ways to attack his opponents with just his limbs and fist and great special effects. Not just a sword for every smash finisher or neutral attacks.
No worries. Had a feeling you may have been stressed over something. Didn't take it personally. :p

In my opinion Marth's moveset is honestly pretty flashy, especially if you try to keep optimal spacing for tippers. A lot of it kind of requires context, though, to get the most out of it. When Marth was added in Melee, the only other sword wielder, before clones were added, was Link. Link had a much more hack and slash, unrefined vibe to his swordplay, true to the Zelda games, where Link's slashes hit hard and fast. But with Marth, he took on a style with much more grace and finesse, harkening back to the fact that he was classically trained in swordplay from a young age. This immediately set Marth apart for many people.

But it goes further than that, too. Given that, at the time of Melee, despite Marth having few animations to draw inspiration from, quite a few of his moves come directly from his games, like his forward tilt, up smash and up taunt, and Shield Breaker (and in Brawl, his Critical Hit), while Dancing Blade is likely based on FE4's Astra and Counter is based in the standard counterattack. But even then, while a lot of the other animations debuted in Smash, the whole tipper mechanic is loosely based on Fire Emblem's own game mechanics, where unit placement can mean either life or death. As such, depending on how Marth spaces himself, he either gets rewarded or punished. As well, Shield Breaker's concept of breaking shields references the rapier weapon Marth (and many other lords) starts out the game with, which does effective damage against armored opponents.

All of this, alongside his taunts and victory lines finally allowing his personality to shine through in English, makes Marth an exceptionally well-done Smash character to me.

Eggimannd

Smash Rookie
Because they're broken as ****. Have you seen tier lists? Most sword characters are in the top tiers. They've got ridiculous range, ridiculous power and are easy to play. Might as well call this game sword ultimate.

Last edited:

RepStar

Banned via Warnings
Switch FC
SW-5945-3794-8387
No worries. Had a feeling you may have been stressed over something. Didn't take it personally. :p

In my opinion Marth's moveset is honestly pretty flashy, especially if you try to keep optimal spacing for tippers. A lot of it kind of requires context, though, to get the most out of it. When Marth was added in Melee, the only other sword wielder, before clones were added, was Link. Link had a much more hack and slash, unrefined vibe to his swordplay, true to the Zelda games, where Link's slashes hit hard and fast. But with Marth, he took on a style with much more grace and finesse, harkening back to the fact that he was classically trained in swordplay from a young age. This immediately set Marth apart for many people.

But it goes further than that, too. Given that, at the time of Melee, despite Marth having few animations to draw inspiration from, quite a few of his moves come directly from his games, like his forward tilt, up smash and up taunt, and Shield Breaker (and in Brawl, his Critical Hit), while Dancing Blade is likely based on FE4's Astra and Counter is based in the standard counterattack. But even then, while a lot of the other animations debuted in Smash, the whole tipper mechanic is loosely based on Fire Emblem's own game mechanics, where unit placement can mean either life or death. As such, depending on how Marth spaces himself, he either gets rewarded or punished. As well, Shield Breaker's concept of breaking shields references the rapier weapon Marth (and many other lords) starts out the game with, which does effective damage against armored opponents.

All of this, alongside his taunts and victory lines finally allowing his personality to shine through in English, makes Marth an exceptionally well-done Smash character to me.
Unfortunately marth doesnt speak for all sword characters. Even if he is something special hes a part of an oversaturated playstyle. Almost every smash match ive had in this game there are always sword users and id be lucky to get a match with less than 2. They , like mii fighters, just kill my vibe for this game.

Top Bottom