• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

why do YOU play Sonic?

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
I used to main him when I was a n00b. I didn't know how cheap he is. Sry sonic fans out there.
cheap?? lol

we WISH sonic was cheap.

but seriously, why is melee better than brawl? because of "advanced techs" and all that garbledy-gook?

I already made this thread a s*itstorm, so let's make it the d*mn BIGGEST s*itstorm to be remembered.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
people like melee coz it was fast
sonic is faster than melee
sonic is in brawl
brawl faster than melee?
That's why I only play Sonic in Brawl >_>
He's the closest thing to Melee Falcon.

at least it seems that way when you only play as sonic lol. seriously i played melee a bit at my last tourney and it really felt too slow :/ besides everyone dying at silly %'s coz no one except jiggs, peach or samus could actually recover properly, hence games going quicker, everything else felt slow lol (is it just me or is melee Marth's fair a lot slower than brawl marth)

/flameshield activate
lrn2Lcancel?
Melee is a faster game overal because...
1) You die quickly
2) Everyone has bad recoveries
3) L Canceling
4) Wavedashing
5) There's real hitstun and combos, so you need faster reflexes to pull them off
6) ???
7) PROFIT!

I used to main him when I was a n00b. I didn't know how cheap he is. Sry sonic fans out there.
And this is why, you are still a noob. Sonic is not a cheap character, he's acutally a bad character. Only people who don't know how to shield and airdodge think Sonic is cheap. Or if they just play with Final Smashes.

EDIT @ SF- Melee is better because the amount of skill that took to play that game is greater than in Brawl. Someone who rocks at Melee could wipe the floor with a scrub. In Brawl, a scrub has better chances of beating a better player simply because of the lesser skill needed in Brawl. Also add in things like tripping, easier to grab ledges, and how godly everyone's recovery is compared to Melee.

:093:

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
EDIT @ SF- Melee is better because the amount of skill that took to play that game is greater than in Brawl. Someone who rocks at Melee could wipe the floor with a scrub. In Brawl, a scrub has better chances of beating a better player simply because of the lesser skill needed in Brawl. Also add in things like tripping, easier to grab ledges, and how godly everyone's recovery is compared to Melee.

but all that crap used in melee wasn't meant to be in the game, so how can you call it a better game when half of the stuff people think is good about it are glitches?

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
but all that crap used in melee wasn't meant to be in the game, so how can you call it a better game when half of the stuff people think is good about it are glitches?
They're not glitches.
alkdjfaklfj
I'm afraid to get into this, because it doesn't belong here, but I'm going to anyway.

It's all just a matter of GAME PHYSICS. If you airdodge diagonally into the ground really fast, you're going to do a wavedash. Simple as that. Just because something wasn't included into the instruction manual, it doesn't mean it wasn't meant to be in the game. I forget the physics behind L-canceling, but that's still not a glitch either. I'll have to do some research on that.

Heck, even if you got rid of L-canceling and wavedashing, it would STILL be better because it has REAL hitstun, and REAL combos.

Khaoz

Smash Journeyman
I've always been a huge sonic fan, so when he was announced I told myself "I dont care how good or bad he is, I'm playing him!"

And as coincidental as it may be, he's probably the character that I feel the most comfortable using. Everything is more natural. idk...weird

I personally couldn't decide between which I like better, Brawl or Melee. I felt that melee leaned more on the technical side while Brawl is a lot more mental. (Though both is required in each game, of course)

Sonic-Fan

Smash Journeyman
They're not glitches.
alkdjfaklfj
I'm afraid to get into this, because it doesn't belong here, but I'm going to anyway.

It's all just a matter of GAME PHYSICS. If you airdodge diagonally into the ground really fast, you're going to do a wavedash. Simple as that. Just because something wasn't included into the instruction manual, it doesn't mean it wasn't meant to be in the game. I forget the physics behind L-canceling, but that's still not a glitch either. I'll have to do some research on that.

Heck, even if you got rid of L-canceling and wavedashing, it would STILL be better because it has REAL hitstun, and REAL combos.

but with no combos, that makes one fight more cautiously and, therefore, shouldn't brawl be more of a strategic game because of it?

as for the "glitches" taking advantage of the game's physics engine in a way not intended is a glitch in my book, plus if they were meant to be there, why did sakurai opt for another engine and remove all the "tricks" in melee? BECUASE THEY ARE GLITCHES AND HE DON'T RIKE DEM.

wgoabgoaegbqo

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
but with no combos, that makes one fight more cautiously and, therefore, shouldn't brawl be more of a strategic game because of it?
That's an aspect I sometimes enjoy, but at the same time it's much more rewarding to be able to actually do something like, I dunno, THE WOMBO COMBO which would never happen in as shallow of a game as Brawl. Brawl rewards campers because it's TOO defensive. That's why characters like Snake, ROB, Falco etc. are so good (amongst other reasons).

as for the "glitches" taking advantage of the game's physics engine in a way not intended is a glitch in my book, plus if they were meant to be there,
–noun 1.
a defect or malfunction in a machine or plan.

Something like Missigno from Pokemon is a glitch, taking advantage of game physics is not a glitch...I wish I could find that thread that went really deep into this, cause then it would shut down all of your points.

why did sakurai opt for another engine and remove all the "tricks" in melee? BECUASE THEY ARE NOT GLITCHES BUT THEY HELPED SEPERATE THE SKILL BETWEEN PLAYERS SO HE GOT RID OF THEM SO SCRUBS COULD HAVE A BETTER CHANCE OF WINNING. HE DON'T RIKE COMPETITION.
Fix'd.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Yeah I gotta admit, Camal is right on the part that Sakurai went out of his way to turn Brawl into the least competitive game out in the market to date.

No really, what kind of fighting game has something about as random as tripping? Even Powerstone is better in terms of competitiveness than Brawl.

At least we only play Brawl because Sonic is in it, because without him I don't think I would be wasting my time, not even Ike is worth this, and Meta Knight for as overpowered as he is just isn't my true playstyle.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Yeah I gotta admit, Camal is right on the part that Sakurai went out of his way to turn Brawl into the least competitive game out in the market to date.

No really, what kind of fighting game has something about as random as tripping? Even Powerstone is better in terms of competitiveness than Brawl.

At least we only play Brawl because Sonic is in it, because without him I don't think I would be wasting my time, not even Ike is worth this, and Meta Knight for as overpowered as he is just isn't my true playstyle.
I <3 mah boi Kinzer

These are pretty much all my thoughts, wrapped up in a real quick short post.

Now let's end this discussion before we all get banned.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Actually, it said somewhere that some of the "bugs" in the game, were intentional.

I'm pretty sure Wavedash was left in there on purpose, it was just that it took a while for somebody to actually figure it out it existed, because we all were scrub scrub scrubs back then.

According to my knowledge, Smash 64 had a similiar engine to Melee, which leads me to think that some things could've been in there, though I don't have the game with me anymore/ I never played it enough to figure it out.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Actually, it said somewhere that some of the "bugs" in the game, were intentional.

I'm pretty sure Wavedash was left in there on purpose, it was just that it took a while for somebody to actually figure it out it existed, because we all were scrub scrub scrubs back then.
Yes.

According to my knowledge, Smash 64 had a similiar engine to Melee, which leads me to think that some things could've been in there, though I don't have the game with me anymore/ I never played it enough to figure it out.
Actually, Smash 64 was even more broken then Melee. It had Z-Canceling instead of L-Canceling. Z-canceling removed like, 3/4 of landing lag, and L-canceling removes only 1/2. 64 also had RIDICULOUS amounts of hitstun. There were actually some 0-death combos. 64 didn't have airdodging, so wavedashing wasn't present.

/debate

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
LOL, I wish I had smash 64 now, the game was too good.

I never unlocked Ness though, so I am a scrub scrub scrub.

Camalange

BRoomer
NNID
Camalange
3DS FC
1160-9836-5007
Switch FC
SW-4197-1438-9208
Ness and Luigi were my all time favorite characters.

But man was Ness a ***** to unlock >_>

thecatinthehat

Smash Master
Falcon on Hyrule was always equivalent to jizzing in my pants multiple times.

O-death combos everywhere. Some involving the tornado. Some with taunt cancels unnecessarily thrown in.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
If I didn't know better, I'd say Falcon Punch has the least start-up lag in Smash 64, which explains why it can lead into/from/out-of combos.

Not sure which Smash game has the least ending lag for it though, I think it's the same universally.

If I recall though, Falcon Punch was weak in Smash 64.

Don't hurt, me, I don't have the game anymore. :(

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Isn't that just the illusion of the insane hitstun from it?

No doubt about it, I remember how you would be flying from a lot of attacks, it was crazy.

JOE!

Smash Hero
melee: better game to teh comeptitive types, seeing as there were many more advanced techs and combos to master

brawl: better game to the general player base seeing as the differennce in skill between scrub and pro is smaller, giving a more balanced playing field

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
D***, I would be amazed if somebody pulled that off in a non-fixed scenario.

Still amazing never the less.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I know it was Tool-assisted, and screw you being up in my posts, making slight edits to my words.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You're too slow CiTH.

Who else wants to be proven by me, I know I get Camal with it a lot, now CiTH.

I am an epidemic, phear me.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
melee was straight up dial a combo.

i always thought it was sad and amazing at the same time, for me to stomp somebody at like 60 % l cancel, doublejump to waveland on a platform, double jump again and still hit them with a forward air, right at the end of hitstun.

everything comboed into everything in that game, i feel like once you get the tech skill, the game is easy as hell, since all you have to do is memorise the best combos, and even if you forgot them, you could still fill in the blanks with whatever came into your mind at the time.

and just to prove my point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9S-4MgKXElU

and just for the lulz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fQ19TJiCAQ&feature=related

p.s. my last comment wasnt aimed at anybody, everybody is just effign up in general

Browny

Smash Hater
KID knows whats up. thats what bugs me about all the 'skill' involved in melee combos. It was all just muscle memory and anyone with decent coordination could pull off combos. when i think of speed, reactions times etc in video games id say the likes of BF2/CoD/CS are better. since no amount of tech skill will save you when the other player is faster, things which take 100's of hours to master, if not 1000's

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
I dunno what went wrong K.I.D., we were just calmly debating some stuff, and even though some stuff went off, we were much better than this would've gone on in the GBD.

Top Bottom