• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do you, personally, play a high-/top-tier?

Why do you, personally, play a high-tier?

• Play to win; whatever it takes.

Votes: 53 16.1%
  • I play whatever character I like.

Votes: 262 79.4%
  • I like playing low tier characters.

Votes: 15 4.5%

• Total voters

Jockmaster

Smash Ace
Idk if Ganon is considered high tier, but I just like power in a character. My playstyle has always been to bait and punish hard, not to pursue.

And I use Captain Falcon as a seriouslies secondary because he's sexy and all of his moves are sexy and he has the sexiest taunt in the game. And nipple spike.

Wizzrobe

Smash Champion
Idk if Ganon is considered high tier, but I just like power in a character. My playstyle has always been to bait and punish hard, not to pursue.

And I use Captain Falcon as a seriouslies secondary because he's sexy and all of his moves are sexy and he has the sexiest taunt in the game. And nipple spike.
I agree with the Falcon part, so true.

tm

Smash Ace
What can I say, playing top tier characters is just so much easier to win with, and you don't have to get frustrated with your attacks not doing anything, so I'm just taking the easy route.
That's why I play Luigi, he's so good.
Just spat a little of my drink out laughing.
Well done

hungrybox

Smash Legend
Orlando, FL (walking distance from the Loop)
I play single players game for fun. I generally don't play multiplayer games unless I intend on becoming good at them.

That said, I still enjoy seeing how far I can push myself.
Hey, Fly:

Theorem :- The number pi does not ever contain a string of 1 million continuos zeros after the decimal.

Corollary 1 :- No irrational number ever contains a string of 1 million continuos zeros after the decimal.

Corollary 2 :- No irrational number ever contains a string of 1 million continuos any of the numbers from 0 to 9 after the decimal.

Attempt proving or disproving this, by counter-example or otherwise.

I'll be impressed.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The two "corollaries" are definitely false. The easiest counterexample I can think of is the following:

Consider the number 0.1234567891011121314151617181920212223...

which is constructed by basically just counting in base 10 past the decimal point. First, note that this number is irrational: every rational number has a repeating decimal representation after a certain point, yet that clearly never happens with this number; to be less vague, note that the string 1000...0001 for any finite number of zeros between the two 1s must appear eventually, and this wouldn't be the case for any rational number, since any repeating sequence of digits either trails off with infinitely many zeros (hence the 1 at the end wouldn't appear, unless something like 100...001 appears before the repeating part, but we can deal with that by just taking a sufficiently large number of zeros) or could at most contain only a certain finite number of zeros between two 1s (and for this irrational number, we can find arbitrarily many 0s between two 1s).

Now that we know that this number is irrational, we immediately see that the first corollary is false, since 10^(10^6) is a positive integer and its base 10 string will hence pop up eventually. We can see that the second corollary is false by looking at the same number, and noting that for any digit x in {0,1,...,9}, the string xxx...x (the digit x appearing a million times) must occur somewhere along the way by the same rationale.

I have no idea about pi and will think about that more later.

Moooose

Smash Champion
easier example for proving your corollary 1 wrong, take pi and divide by 10^1000000. any irrational divided by a rational is still irrational, and this one clearly contains 1 million continuous 0's after the decimal

then to show corollary 2 is false, take that number and add either (1/9),(2/9)....(8/9) or (9/9) (in the form 0.99999 repeating). Again the addition of an irrational and rational number is irrational, and the first million digits are all whichever one you wanted them to be.

NNID
dansalvato
"Summing up what others have written, it is widely believed (but not proved) that every finite string of digits occurs in the decimal expansion of pi, and furthermore occurs, in the long run, "as often as it should," and furthermore that the analogous statement is true for expansion in base b for b = 2, 3, .... On the other hand, for all we are able to prove, pi in decimal could be all sixes and sevens (say) from some point on.

About the only thing we can prove is that it can't have a huge string of zeros too early. This comes from irrationality measures for pi which are inequalities of the form |π−(p/q)|>q−9 (see, e.g., Masayoshi Hata, Rational approximations to π and some other numbers, Acta Arith. 63 (1993), no. 4, 335-349, MR1218461 (94e:11082)), which tell us that such a string of zeros would result in an impossibly good rational approximation to pi."

Source: http://mathoverflow.net/questions/23547/does-pi-contain-1000-consecutive-zeroes-in-base-10

As Fly and Moooose demonstrated, the proof to each corollary is exceedingly simple, but proving this for Pi itself has not yet been accomplished by anyone. Based on the inherent properties of Pi and the digits we have so far observed, the general conjecture is that hungrybox's theorem is false.

BairJew

Smash Journeyman
The speckles of math homework on this page is quite hilarious, anyways on topic Novi has the main mindset of most players, the balance is pretty awful.

It's me Q

Smash Apprentice
Marth because of sword, sexiness and Ken
Falcon because of sexiness, combos and how brutal he is (also falcon mains are inspiring)
G&W because I love him. Parachutes & Tilts

Kal

Smash Champion
People should follow the example of the GameFAQs math board and avoid just feeding someone the answers to their homework. Especially with that attempt at getting all in our mental mind. Like psychology, but in reverse.

Also, please don't call it "hungrybox's theorem." >_>

inb4

hungrybox said:
I have discovered a truly marvelous proof of this, which this margin is too narrow to contain.

Kal

Smash Champion
False. False false false false false. False.

Cummings

Smash Apprentice
Ledyard, CT (Right next to Foxwoods/Mohegan Sun)
I picked up Falco before I even was aware of the competitive smash seen around 2005 because I just like the way he felt. As I learned about competitive smash I switched around a bit every so often as I would learn new things and my style would change, but I always would go back to Falco. I just like the way his comboing works, his general physics, variety of options, his ability to be played either aggressively or defensively and his ability to switch between the two, and the way he can manipulate platforms to his advantage. It also helped that he was my favorite character in Star Fox 64.

While I would agree winning does help with wanting to play certain characters, I can definitely say for me its more the above factors than the factor of winning. As someone who has been a low tier main before I know what its like to struggle to win even when you outplay your opponent and while it could indeed be frustrating, in some ways for me I found it could be very rewarding and challenging. The problem with low tiers is that they can be so one-dimensional in the limited number of strategies and techniques you can learn and use with them that they become pretty boring after awhile. I generally just have more fun with any high tier character than any low tier character because of the above mentioned variety of techniques and strategies that are fun to execute that high tiers have over low tiers. For me that factors more into playing a high tier than winning.
This.
falco's physics simply made sense to me. his speed of falling, running, attacking, were all exactly what I wanted in a character even before i had a deeper sense of the game. Also, when i first picked up the game and experimented with all of his moves, I loved that he didnt have any "throw-away" moves like shiek's chain or puff's sing . All of his moves have a situation of their own, even if his Fair is incredibly situational, and Firebird is terrible, they are still usable.

Shadow Huan

Smash Champion
I think people play Falco because he's a shiny ball of Feathers and ****.
Just like Fox but with Fur

Jiggs is just a ball...
i lol'd so hard...

and i might be the only one who did... -_-

anyways in 2004 i picked up marth to counter my cousin's sheik (lol) and played black marth long before i saw videos of competitive smash (coughmew2kingcough) or even knew what a tier list was. i had the notion that Marth could just prevent sheik from doing anything with his range
, which on paper he should be able to do lol

i play other characters but Marth is generally my best when i'm playing on point.

:phone:

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
easier example for proving your corollary 1 wrong, take pi and divide by 10^1000000. any irrational divided by a rational is still irrational, and this one clearly contains 1 million continuous 0's after the decimal

then to show corollary 2 is false, take that number and add either (1/9),(2/9)....(8/9) or (9/9) (in the form 0.99999 repeating). Again the addition of an irrational and rational number is irrational, and the first million digits are all whichever one you wanted them to be.
You are a nerd

S l o X

Smash Champion
because $mike told me to.

and so began the adventures of the worlds (to be) best player, playing a terrible character.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I play fox because I'm not good enough to use only Pichu.
main reason is because fox is both fun and good, and feels natural to me.
he also helps my techskill, which is nice.
I also believe that it is easier to get good at the game quickly with a high tier than a low tier, so I'll be playing fox in serious matches a lot until I'm comfortable with my skill level, then I'll pretty much only use pichu.

odinNJ

Smash Lord
I use falcon to four stock random plebs in my school who think they're good at smash

Wolfy!

Indecisive
I use Falcon because... well, cuz I like him. I used to use Kirby in Melee, but I just hated how he felt. Falcon felt like it gave me way more to work with as a player, and since I've always liked Falcon (due to my old friend always picking him when we played 64 and Melee back then) it was easy to make the switch.

And I only really ever play my Fox and Falco in friendlies and in practice cuz I like pushing buttons really fast. :p

odinNJ

Smash Lord
True, true. Unless they don't understand tier lists and think chars like Kirby are cheap.

Twinkles

Smash Lord
Thinking kirby is cheap is most incomprehensible thing ive ever heard bad players come up w/ (in melee at least)
u play him once and u know hes not good :C

D

Deleted member

My theory is that people who play to win feel like they have an extra edge with the high tiers, and people who play for fun feel more "free" with the high tiers due to many options and little lag. What do you think about this?
I play Zelda as my main because I sincerely feel that she is my best chance at victory against better players.

However, I do enjoy playing Fox, Sheik, and I have a deep and thorough understanding of Marth as well. These characters are different from Zelda in that they offer me the ability to beat my opponent so long as I can out-think them. With Zelda, I can lose to mediocre players purely on her inability to beat better characters regardless of thought input. At some point, the character is just too limited to overcome the technical barrier.

john!

Smash Hero
when i started learning advanced techs, i tried out the top 10 characters at the time (2007-ish) and decided that i was best with peach.

ironically, before this, i considered myself a falco main... but i thought that his learning curve was too steep.

i didn't consider anyone below the top 10, because i wanted to enjoy some amount of tournament success, lol.

Top Bottom