• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people say chaingrabbing is lame?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
For Dedede, it be because it be a nice way to give damage. As fer the Ice Climbers, it be an essential part of their meta game.

Chain Grabbing be a nice way to make them walk the plank. Yar.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
CG's take the fun out of the game. AT's also should not be in this game. I also shouldn't have to STUDY Frame data to be better. I wanna play a game, not study msth with it!

Likeness101

Smash Apprentice
Fredericton, New Brunswick & Freeport, The Bah
CG's take the fun out of the game. AT's also should not be in this game. I also shouldn't have to STUDY Frame data to be better. I wanna play a game, not study msth with it!
Just to brush up on something you don't need to study frame data to learn AT's it is called practice. I would rather get CG'd than play Olimar though.:laugh:

REL38

Smash Lord
For Dedede, it be because it be a nice way to give damage. As fer the Ice Climbers, it be an essential part of their meta game.

Chain Grabbing be a nice way to make them walk the plank. Yar.
Arr, this scally wag be speakin' the truth.

Ye'll 'ave t' find a better sea dog or learn t' fight better fer it's Davy Jones 's Locker f' ye! A-harrh!

Smash be no place fer lousy landlubbers. Smash be a game that ave' no honor!

Chain grab t' yer hearts content fer it be the smart way t' play t' get the booty of first instead of the lousy loot of pride!

Chain grabs be the mainbrace t' Ice Climbers game! It be like the sword of the cap'n! Without it, he be a soul lost at sea . . . Shiver me timbers! That be a thought t' fright'n t' imagine!

The Chain grab be the grenado t' the cap'n! His sword be quite enough, but the explosive power of the grenado be enough t' secure a guaranteed victory n' a tale t' spin t' his matey's back on board his vessel!

Arr, Better pirate is better, matey.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Completely, utterly, absolutely, totally, entirely, (any other adverbs?) disagree with you. If you had your wish, smash would be BORING AS HELL and it wouldn't be worth having tournaments for. Thus, we wouldn't have made these forums for smash on which we are discussing this topic. Isn't that interesting to think about...

Cosmick

Smash Apprentice
I think chaingrabbing is a pretty cool guy...*shot*

But really, I don't see anything wrong with it. A lot of characters have ways to build up damage on the opponent while staying out of grab reach.

If you get grabbed, it's your fault.

lordbeast55

Smash Rookie
we say its lame because it is. it extends the reach of the characters as their falling giving them an advantige. but if you have as problem with it. play as those characters

lordbeast55

Smash Rookie
studying the game is half the fun. wheres the fun if you dont know all the assist trophys names? or all the pokemons? there is none. u have to find it all out. dont waste all ur time playing the game. do 50 50 with learning about it

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
professor mgw said:
AT's also should not be in this game. I also shouldn't have to STUDY Frame data to be better. I wanna play a game, not study msth with it!
You don't need to use AT's if you want to play Smash non-competitively. If you do want to play competitively, and someone puts in the effort to study how to play the game, they should win. It would be the hallmark of a bad game if a complete noob could beat someone who has put more time into learning and getting better at the game than they have.

Which is why I play Melee and not Brawl.

tankzortz

Smash Apprentice
two words
Ice Climbers :ohwell:
more of reason why people hate cg
i dont think its cheap, cause im not usuall grabbed

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
two words
Ice Climbers :ohwell:
more of reason why people hate cg
i dont think its cheap, cause im not usuall grabbed
This usually isn't true. I actually smile while being chaingrabbed by ICs, because it took the other person quite a bit of work to master that unique tactic. When being grabbed by Dedede or Falco, I usually just set my controller down and let them finish.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I say chaingrabbing is lame because...

1. It's cheap. Many people try it as soon as the match begins and it limits the wildness and mobility of my frustratingly weak and lightweight main. If you can stop my Diddy's wild moves with an early chaingrab, you've won the match before it started.

2. I'm usually the victim of a Falco chaingrab, so seeing the others (like the ICs) catch me with it is very interesting to watch 'cuz its madd creative.

3. I want to win the match, not put my controiller down and get slammed against the floor repeatedly.

Kantō

Smash Champion
as long as its not banned, its not cheap in my opinion. but if your constantly getting chaingrabbed, the whole match.., try a character with more projectiles or a character that will make it hard for your opponent to grab you. he he sits there and just trys to chaingrab you and nothing else, chances are you can find away around it.

Zajice

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have a friend who shall rename nameless who says chaingrabs are lame because they ruin what Brawl is about. He says it's a game about mindgames and reading your opponent. That kinda thing. Not about combos and such. Chaingrabbing is basically a combo that guarantees a large amount of damage. Therefore, they shouldn't belong in Brawl.

I for one don't care. If I have an option that gives me an advantage and doesn't effect me negatively in any way, I'm going to take it. There's nothing wrong with doing damage without getting hit. That's what people should want to do. Chaingrabs are just a tool that make that goal easier.

I've never understood why tactics such as chaingrabs or camping are considered bad.

Safely doing damage while avoiding taking damage in the best way possible is clearly a bad thing.

~AceR~

Smash Cadet
How about we chaingrab first, laugh second, and say "no johns" third?

Without chaingrabbing, a major aspect of the game is suddenly lost, the tier list calls for some serious revision, and my favorite character can no longer be used. :|

Lifeisweird

Smash Rookie
I generally dislike the IC CG's because even when you feel that you have outplayed an IC's main, you still lose. NEO feels that he plays better than Meep often, but he still looses to Meep often. Which is why NEO always rages about IC's.

Other CG's, such as Falco's, can generally be prevented by good spacing(Although some characters can't, which is why they are competitively not viable[Sorry DK mains :(.]) D3's CG is a bit absurd IMO, with the grab range he has. Even Marth, who has more aerial range than MK gets CG'ed quite often by D3.

GALE 14

Smash Journeyman
soooo i like chaingrab but i hate ICs chaingrab
and i think you know it too hu ?????

REL38

Smash Lord
IC's chain grabs takes skill as the frame for grabbing the opponent varies from character to character.

Falco's and Pika's CG build up damage, but only to a set damage percentage.

D3's CG works on many characters and works at any damage percentage (stops at the higher 100's me thinks).

CG's are a big part of these characters game. Taking them out is punishing a good character just cuz they're better.

D3's is easy to pull off, but that's also the reason he's top tier.

Top Tier characters have CG's. That's why they're up there. It's a big part of Brawl when no "true" combos even exist in the game. CG's make up for it.

*JuriHan*

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-4901-1779
its only "gay" if you're doing your first offline match, playing as Kirby, and the IC infinites you in a friendly.

IM LOOKING AT YOU HYLIAN.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
All CG's except D3 are fine to me, but D3's standing infinite is ridiculous. And if you say learn to space, it's no use when his grab range is longer than all of your moves. Standing chain grab should be banned, but not the normal one that ends on a ledge.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind most CG's, excluding Dedede's, but that only applies to those who spam it or use infinites all the time. Like everyone else is saying: Don't get grabbed.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
lol again guys: DON'T GET ****ING GRABBED

chaingrabs are part of the game
their is no better way to rackup damage
brawl is a campy game, live with it

everyone who say chaingrabbing is lame, suck
and no johns about IC's chaingrab gale 14
it takes the ic mainer a lot off skill to pull it off and due to the short grab range it can be avoided
if you play aggressivly than live with the fact that you get shield/pivotgrabbed
the only grab that is kinda weird is d3

Top Bottom