• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do people NOW care about Roy and Mewtwo?

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B. helped the video game industry make a comeback. Roy never did anything significantly great. He was a lord (and a bad one at that) in a game that was a huge step down from the previous games in the series.
Really? This is the first time I've heard of him helping the industry. If his impact was so big, this would be much more widely known, which it doesn't quite seem to be.

*sigh* why can't people just shut there mouths? So what? Sakurai, in a way (lol), actually cared about Rob, and not for Roy.

(alright Fanboys flame me)

Thank you my good sir
Shut their mouths? This is a discussion, if you don't like it,I think you can solve your problem by not responding. Okay, Sakurai is one person, and I'm also one person who cared about Roy. It's not like you can prove there are more R.O.B. fans than Roy ones.

Chagen46

Smash Journeyman
Really? This is the first time I've heard of him helping the industry. If his impact was so big, this would be much more widely known, which it doesn't quite seem to be.

R.O.B let nintendo market the NES as a toy, and not a console; this was beacause a flood of bad games at the time made everyone hate them... however, people saw the NES marketed as a toy, not a console, so they bought it. Then they played the first super mario bros.... and well, things took off from there; video games were no longer shunned due to ROB, and nintendo was able to sell games again.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B let nintendo market the NES as a toy, and not a console; this was beacause a flood of bad games at the time made everyone hate them... however, people saw the NES marketed as a toy, not a console, so they bought it. Then they played the first super mario bros.... and well, things took off from there; video games were no longer shunned due to ROB, and nintendo was able to sell games again.
Lol, then that was Mario Bros. that sealed their love for Nintendo NOT R.O.B....

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Don't get me started. Really.
Sorry Neji, this guy got on my nerves.

Anyone want to stop this before it's too late?

no?

anyone?

FINE!!! I'll do IT!:mad:
Excellent job, you. Just made me lose my patience. Let's reply of what you say...

First of all, Roy sucked as a Fire Emblem lord (When i mean that, i mean Stats wise and comparing to the other FE lords) Plus, how is Ike a worthless character? He has a pretty unique moveset and is important to the Fire Emblem franchise.
Nope, actually, Roy can turn out to be an excellent Lord depending on your luck. He is probably a very unpredictabe Lord like to predict his final stats. ( I got a really blessed Roy, guess i'm lucky) And yeah, moveset unique... and such, Ike's moveset at least had time to be worked in. Believe me, Roy has a moveset potential, way different than marth.

Second why does Roy deserve to return? From what i heard, Roy's Fe game didn't exactly sell well (note if it did, give the sales records as proof), not many Fe fans (such as myself) liked him, and the fact he appeared in only ONE game!....... Oh, next you're going to say Roy made a appearence in FE 7. Wow, a frigging comeo is so god like nowadays isn't it?
Well... he HAD his fanbase, you just think that the "pros" are the only one whose vote is valid? Nu-uh, Roy is actuallt QUITE liked between the casual Melee players. And without mentioning that he is one of the most liked Lords in Japan (no, i'm not joking at all) and his game got excellent sales, being the 3rd Best-Selling FE Game, 1st being Monshou no Nazou and Seisen no Keifu (Souen no Kiseki had poor sales on the other note).

Ike is a lord in 2 games where Roy is only in one. If i ever want another Fe character, it would definetaly would not be Roy.
Well, this is hate from you. I won' complain since it's useless.

Edit: Wow, people like Roy because he was cool. All he ever did was burst fire out of his sword, scream like a panzy, and failing at recovering. How is that cool?
Wow, why don't you let people like what the want and shut up?

Ike is way cooler than Roy.
Oppinion. I like Roy better than Ike, I still like Ike however.

Now let's wait for your reply, if you bother doing one.

Extra:

R.O.B. helped the video game industry make a comeback. Roy never did anything significantly great. He was a lord (and a bad one at that) in a game that was a huge step down from the previous games in the series.
I don't think R.O.B. did that... wasn't the NES actually? But m'yeah, he did something more significant than Roy.

People just say Roy is a bad Lord due to his late promotion right? C'mon, I know i'm freaking right.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
Smash roster is not about popularity (ok maybe it is sometimes, but still). Its all about Sakurais decision and his decision was to kick out Roy and include Rob. Don't like it? Deal with it.

/End of Roy's part of the thread
Not quite the end. Not only was it his decision to kick out Roy, Mewtwo, etc., it was he who also gave the "Okay" to tripping, too. Does that mean it was the RIGHT decision? Well, just ask the community.

Community: "Sakurai you mother****** why the **** did you add tripping in you ******* *******!"

I'm pretty sure that's how their response would be.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Sorry Neji, this guy got on my nerves.

Excellent job, you. Just made me lose my patience. Let's reply of what you say...

Nope, actually, Roy can turn out to be an excellent Lord depending on your luck. He is probably a very unpredictabe Lord like to predict his final stats. ( I got a really blessed Roy, guess i'm lucky) And yeah, moveset unique... and such, Ike's moveset at least had time to be worked in. Believe me, Roy has a moveset potential, way different than marth.

Well... he HAD his fanbase, you just think that the "pros" are the only one whose vote is valid? Nu-uh, Roy is actuallt QUITE liked between the casual Melee players. And without mentioning that he is one of the most liked Lords in Japan (no, i'm not joking at all) and his game got excellent sales, being the 3rd Best-Selling FE Game, 1st being Monshou no Nazou and Seisen no Keifu (Souen no Kiseki had poor sales on the other note).

Well, this is hate from you. I won' complain since it's useless.

Wow, why don't you let people like what the want and shut up?

Oppinion. I like Roy better than Ike, I still like Ike however.

Now let's wait for your reply, if you bother doing one.

Extra:

I don't think R.O.B. did that... wasn't the NES actually? But m'yeah, he did something more significant than Roy.

People just say Roy is a bad Lord due to his late promotion right? C'mon, I know i'm freaking right.
Fine whatever. I'm sorry to Roy fans out there ok? *unsubscribes*

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
You know, it seem weird that you would show a Mewtwo combo vid., ince his replacement (Lucario) has the best combos in Brawl (not that that says much).

EDIT: sorry, this was intended for Mr. Victory.

cjrocker

Smash Ace
It's not like you can prove there are more R.O.B. fans than Roy ones.
You can't prove there are more Roy fans than R.O.B. ones either.

As for Roy being a bad Lord, I think it's his averages that leave much to be desired. His incredibly late promotion doesn't help either.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
You can't prove there are more Roy fans than R.O.B. ones either.

As for Roy being a bad Lord, I think it's his averages that leave much to be desired. His incredibly late promotion doesn't help either.
I was merely getting to the point that neither side can say Roy or R.O.B. is more popular, so it shouldn't be argued.

_eXp_

Smash Rookie
probably because mewtwo was such a cool character from 64 to melee cuz they wanted to use such a cool character from their games but it was a gay way to make him suck/ hard to use

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Fine whatever. I'm sorry to Roy fans out there ok? *unsubscribes*
Long live sarcasm. Woo!

I hate
Roy
haters

ROB helped the NES sell at ALL. The credit should go to ROB, but the NES takes it all...
I don't know much of Nintendo's Old history, but by itself and without R.O.B.'s help did got excellent sales, I can put my 10 dollars on that...

...Wait, I don't have 10 dollars.

Don't be sorry, this is all just debate. (I hope I didn't sound mean in my posts, though.) I'm not angry at you at all.
Same here... well... it kind of bothered me how you bashed Roy, that's all. But i'm not angry at ya TWILTHERO, be cool.

cjrocker

Smash Ace
Long live sarcasm. Woo!

I hate
Roy
haters

I don't know much of Nintendo's Old history, but by itself and without R.O.B.'s help did got excellent sales, I can put my 10 dollars on that...

...Wait, I don't have 10 dollars.
If not for R.O.B. the NES wouldn't made the impact it did. To say no one would've bought it is probably incorrect, but the video game industry couldn't have rised from it's slump like it did. As it was said, everyone was staying away from video games. People bought the NES thinking it was a toy, all thanks to R.O.B. And then they discovered Super Mario Bros. and the industry was saved.

TWILTHERO

Smash Lord
Thanks, it's not that Roy that pisses me off, it's the fanboys. I mean, all i get is "Omg, Roy is so cool! He deserves to be in Brawl" I never got a valid reason why Roy deserves to return other than that. You guys changed my opinion in Roy a bit for the better. If you guys are angry at this message, just don't reply.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
Thanks, it's not that Roy that pisses me off, it's the fanboys. I mean, all i get is "Omg, Roy is so cool! He deserves to be in Brawl" I never got a valid reason why Roy deserves to return other than that. You guys changed my opinion in Roy a bit for the better. If you guys are angry at this message, just don't reply.
Well I'm glad we had an intelligent talk on this, and that I was able to give you a different look on this.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
We (or at least me) understand. Don't worry, actually i'm the one to say "I'm sorry" for being harsh.

If not for R.O.B. the NES wouldn't made the impact it did. To say no one would've bought it is probably incorrect, but the video game industry couldn't have rised from it's slump like it did. As it was said, everyone was staying away from video games. People bought the NES thinking it was a toy, all thanks to R.O.B. And then they discovered Super Mario Bros. and the industry was saved.
Hm... ok, if you say. I don't really care much about R.O.B., but I was just agreeing that at least he did something more important than Roy (no doubt, I'd be biased if I disagreed... no offense Solo Assas1n).

Edit: EDIT FOR GREAT JUSTICE... and eh... I made a mistake.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
We (or at least me) understand. Don't worry, actually i'm the one to say "I'm sorry" for being harsh.

Hm... ok, if you say. I don't really care much about Roy, but I was just agreeing that at least he did something more important than Roy (no doubt, I'd be biased if I disagreed... no offense Solo Assas1n).
Hm? I'm not super angry and always debating why Roy should've been in Brawl. Honestly, this is the first time.

Bluemoon-san

Smash Rookie
I mean, seriously. Very few people cared about them before Brawl was released. But once they were confirmed to not be in the game, people became butthurt about for them.

Almost no one like Roy: Fire Emblem fans, Smash Players, tier worshippers, even Sakurai himself. Not only that, people WANTED him not to be Brawl.

For Mewtwo, it's worse. He was rarely played at all. And of course, the tier worshippers didn't like him.

So yeah, I would like to know why people cried about them not being in when the odds are, they were the same people who didn't even played as them.
I agree completely~
I never played mewtwo or roy though.. o.o;
What i was wonderin is why did they put characters like sonic and snake into the brawl? Could it be the fans or unity of the companies? :confused: im very confused about that... and they should add knuckles :(

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Knuckles FTW.

But the reason people complain about Roy and Mewtwo not being in Brawl is mainly because you never miss something until its gone.

Zenthewanderer

Smash Apprentice
Three things here.

One, I liked Roy more than Marth- but I've kind of gotten over him being taken out of Brawl. It makes perfect sense- Roy's game is 'old news' now and Marth's is getting a remake. Not to mention the fact that Marth was generally more popular. Then you have to remember that people whined about the 'clones' in Melee- leading to the obvious conclusion. I won't even try to walk down that trail, considering it isn't the point. To sum up the answer here, Roy had fans- plain and simple. Every character has fans. They don't go around talking about how afraid they are their favorite character won't be in the next game. They're outraged when it actually happens, therefore, that's what took place with Brawl.

Two, I never played as Mewtwo- but I enjoyed fighting him simply because he was pretty much one of the only Melee villians. See Roy for further analysis of his situation. Lucky for me, Lucario is a joy to play as. I'm quite happy with the replacement. I would have taken Roy over Ike, but not a big deal.

Three, ROB indeed was the biggest cause for the NES's initial success. People at the time were burned by Atari and had to be coaxed into buying a new game system somehow. Nintendo came up with the genius idea of bundling a 'robot' with their system. Worked like a charm. Countless people bought the NES for ROB, only to later realize he was kind of useless and the NES was the true gem in the package. ROB was the springboard that launched Nintendo into gaming history and made it what it is today.

And that concludes my post. Heh...

chandy

Smash Journeyman
Loadsa people liked Roy in Melee. Me included. So it's obvious y the ppl who mained him r angry he isn't in brawl. As for Mewtwo, i personally know a mewtwo mainer and he's not happy about him being dropped. I suppose even tho he was bottom tier many ppl prefer him to Lucario.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Mewtwo was not played that often, no. But Roy was. Sure, he wasn't exactly very common in Competitive circles, but among Casual players, plenty of players used him. Because in the eyes of the uneducated, Roy was usually considered stronger than Marth.

In the eyes of the sexists/homophobes/ignorami, he was also considered cooler for not being as "girly" as Marth/being more "manly". In the eyes of the pyromaniacs, he was cooler and manlier because of his fire.

Roy saw plenty of play-time.

AnAardvark

Smash Journeyman
I mained Roy in Melee because I thought he was EXACTLY the same as Marth except with fire. :) I didn't really look into how much damage and speed they both compared to. I wasn't surprised when they took Roy out, since he was a sort of clone, but now that I look at it, they could have kept him in like they did with some other clones such as Ganondorf and Falco.

I never really played as Mewtwo much, but I thought he was a pretty unique character, I saw no reason for taking Mewtwo out.

Majora_younglink

Smash Apprentice
Bleh, I never really saw a reason why they really added Roy in the first place. Yes I have played the FE games. Yes I know people say it was a marketing ploy. And of course because of melee I got interested and played it which actually ended up being a good thing but Elliwood would have seemed a more reasonable choice for the marketing ploy so when he was taken out I didn't really give it a second thought because overall he was complained for being a clone, tourny based players didn't like him, and he lacked the popularity over Marth to win his spot over him.

Mewtwo... Some people say he was the flavor of the month/favorite of the time/other thing/gimmick chary but I disagree. People of even today know who he is. He is still one of the most popular characters in the poke universe and I'm not sure how he ranks in terms of awesomeness to the other pokemon these days but if he remained relatively in the same area I don't doubt he's still used by poke players if he is in the game. The only reason I can see him taken out is because he wasn't liked by tourny players and Sakurai didn't feel like revamping his moveset when he could just add another chary. He might be added in SSB4 and I'd personally be up for it if he got the revamping he deserved like Kirby did.

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Mewtwo was not played that often, no. But Roy was. Sure, he wasn't exactly very common in Competitive circles, but among Casual players, plenty of players used him. Because in the eyes of the uneducated, Roy was usually considered stronger than Marth.

In the eyes of the sexists/homophobes/ignorami, he was also considered cooler for not being as "girly" as Marth/being more "manly". In the eyes of the pyromaniacs, he was cooler and manlier because of his fire.

Roy saw plenty of play-time.
Word, with this, we can easily say the reason of Mewtwo's removal, IT IS ALL SAKURAI'S FAULT (or the one who did the movesets programming, but meh, let's blame Sakurai because he takes all the credits).

And the girly thing for Marth... it's the tiara. But hey, there is something special in that tiara.

Now to comment... I pretty much agree with your comment Yuna, I would have said the same (thought I think I already did it...).

Mewtwo is another case, just because being practically the worst character in all SSB: Melee (extremedly weak overall, excluding the throws), fans expected a lot more than a pathetic excuse to balance the game: Heck, Mewtwo even gets beaten by Pichu, which in Pokemon games, it's practically impossible... but this is Smash of what we are talking about. But still...

Samuelson

Smash Lord
Mewtwo's moveset was unique so there was no reason for dropping him, people say he was starting to lose popularity but thats dumb because I'm more people know about Mewtwo then the Ice Climbers...

Plus he was the only pokemon villain that Smash Bros had.

D

Deleted member

I admit that Mewtwo and Roy aren't the biggest Nintendo characters but taking out Mewtwo and Roy for ROB and the Ice climbers Is honestly some of the worst decision making since Microsoft decided to reveal the 360 on MTV. It's just a slap in the face to Roy and Mewtwo mainers when their characters lose out to Idiotic mountain climbers who starred in one sucky game, Oh and did I mention that they also lost out to an awful accessory that barely worked that never was in a game? If Nintendo wants to add accessories to the game i bet we'll see the Wii balance board in Smash 4. Oh and advice to you ROB lovers, shut up with your pathetic attempts to justify ROB's inclusion "Videogames wouldn't have survived without ROB" that is the worst excuse since Obama suddenly decided that he never knew his preacher after 30 years. Do you honestly think Okami would've sold more if a plastic robot was included? I really doubt it but that's what everyone seems to be saying. So if Obama decides that if you vote for him he'll give you a plastic robot, so based on this ROB theory that means his votes will double? I think that word of the NES's greatness would've spread with or without ROB thus making his role in video gaming minimal.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
You don't appreciate something until it's gone :( I now main Roy in Melee in honor of him not in Brawl. It's sad. Roy for SSB4.

Thrillhouse-vh.

Smash Hero
I admit that Mewtwo and Roy aren't the biggest Nintendo characters but taking out Mewtwo and Roy for ROB and the Ice climbers Is honestly some of the worst decision making since Microsoft decided to reveal the 360 on MTV.
Ice Climbers didn't replace anybody, they were returning from Melee.

If you look at the characters, it looks like Lucario replaced Mewtwo and Ike replaced Roy, R.O.B. and Ice Climbers have nothing to do with it.

Let's take out two cool characters and replace them with two of each series' worst characters! It's brilliant!

Pluvia's other account

Smash Master
I liked Roy, even though I expected him to be out in Brawl. Marth was better, but some of my friends hate the fact that Roy was taken out. Roy was popular with quite a lot of people.

And for Mewtwo, he was the absolute worst fight in Melee, but the coolest character. I was one of the few people that argued that Lucario actually had quite a good chance of being in Brawl, but I never thought for once that he would make it and Mewtwo wouldn't.

cjrocker

Smash Ace
I admit that Mewtwo and Roy aren't the biggest Nintendo characters but taking out Mewtwo and Roy for ROB and the Ice climbers Is honestly some of the worst decision making since Microsoft decided to reveal the 360 on MTV. It's just a slap in the face to Roy and Mewtwo mainers when their characters lose out to Idiotic mountain climbers who starred in one sucky game, Oh and did I mention that they also lost out to an awful accessory that barely worked that never was in a game? If Nintendo wants to add accessories to the game i bet we'll see the Wii balance board in Smash 4. Oh and advice to you ROB lovers, shut up with your pathetic attempts to justify ROB's inclusion "Videogames wouldn't have survived without ROB" that is the worst excuse since Obama suddenly decided that he never knew his preacher after 30 years. Do you honestly think Okami would've sold more if a plastic robot was included? I really doubt it but that's what everyone seems to be saying. So if Obama decides that if you vote for him he'll give you a plastic robot, so based on this ROB theory that means his votes will double? I think that word of the NES's greatness would've spread with or without ROB thus making his role in video gaming minimal.
Holy crap. I don't know where to start.
First off, Ice Climbers did NOT replace Mewtwo or Roy. They were in Melee. Get your facts straight.
Secondly, your thoughts on R.O.B. are clearly misguided. It's been made clear that the NES would not have sold as well as it did if not for R.O.B. After 2 years of video games having a bad name due to poor titles like E.T. and Custer's Revenge and there was no way in hell NES could've changed anything. If you need proof R.O.B. helped, look at NES sales and video game sales prior to the NES.
Also, your comparison to Obama is ridiculous. That's the ****ing president you're talking about here. The future of the country. Video games are not the future. I call BS.
Word of NES' greatness could've possibly spread, that much is true. But how much people would've been willing to listen.
Again, get your facts straight before making such baseless claims.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
why you ask!? well... Mewtwo is likw my Favorite pokemon of all time and seeing him in Melee made him that much awesome, but after his dissapearance in Brawl I was like "WTF!", reasoning is because he didn't so much reserved to be cut as Roy who was just a buffed up version of Marth, but Mewtwo on the other hand was very unique.

Tunaria

Smash Rookie
Just my 2 cents:

1. Cutting characters in games like Smash Bros. makes little sense, seeing as there is no actual story in the game to explain their exclusion. There are only two reasons for why a character is excluded in a game, one being the deadline and the other being the producer/company. Which reason you belive in depends on how much you trust Sakurai's apology post.

2. Mewtwo and Roy weren't replaced by Lucario and Ike, despite what it seems like, as neither Sora Ltd or Sakurai has stated this. Sharing or having a similar move is not enough proof for a character to be a replacement. Calling Ike and Lucario replacements is simply a conjecture.

Top Bottom