• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Why do guys bring their girlfriends to tournaments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB&J

Smash Hero
i love this thread

if your girl is flirting with other guys(not the other way around) at tournies, there is something u guys need to work out or u shouldnt be together at all.

if your girtls cant go with u to a smash tourny , what will she do for you.

guys need to stop being insecure and getting jealous when guys talk to there girls at tournies.

Girls like confidence and insecurity makes u look weak.

i dont care if she plays video games or not. if my girl wants to come she will come.. or if i want her too, she will come

some guys like to show off..who cares

some want their gf's to pick up smash..good stuff

some want the moral support

some want to just hang out with their gf while playing the best game ever..smash

there are so many cases, but just because this happened or this happened doesnt make it ok for guys not to bring their girlfriends to smash tournies

people needf to strenghten their ships or something .

and here is something i told soft a while ago.

he just started going out with this girl for like idk..three weeks or so. and i said if u want to see other ways your girlfriend acts bring her around us or a smash tourny. well he brought her to a smash tourny and stayed by him the whole time while so many guys were flirting with her.

she later told me that she was bored from being at the tourny, but will keep coming if he wants me 2, plus they get to spend more time with each other.

oh rockin and kevin m are too good

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
im looking for a girl who lives in rhode island, is taller than 6'6'', plays smash, sings in her own band, likes to watch anime, enjoys playing poker and mafia, likes fantasy baseball, moderates smashboards and is named KevinM

can anyone help me???
Do I know just the girluy for you bro.

Just come on up here and we can get looking!

The Fear

Smash Cadet
R. Kelly said it best... "Dont bring your girl to da club cause imma Flirt!" need I say more? Your girl with you at a tourney? cool... she better be looking like quasimodo or else im gonna spit game.

The Fear

Smash Cadet
u can spit game all u want if your girl is loyal..nuff said
that may be true, but make sure you know how loyal before bringing her to a tournament. Or else someone other than you may be "smashing" later on that night...

nicaboy

Smash Champion
If I caught any of you smashing my girl we would fight....
Lol Im just sayin **** unless you knew of course then we really would fight.

This thread is funny

DJ Nintendo

Smash Champion
If a girl gets that game from another smasher and that guy ends up smashing or messing with the dude's girl, the boyfriend should be mad at his girl and just break up with her. The girl was the one not being loyal. So she f*cked up lol. I brought to tournaments two of my now ex-girlfriends and they were faithful like crazy. I make sure the girls I get with are mad faithful and stay that way no matter what, f*ck that lol.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
If a girl gets that game from another smasher and that guy ends up smashing or messing with the dude's girl, the boyfriend should be mad at his girl and just break up with her. The girl was the one not being loyal. So she f*cked up lol. I brought to tournaments two of my now ex-girlfriends and they were faithful like crazy. I make sure the girls I get with are mad faithful and stay that way no matter what, f*ck that lol.
True story.

aish

Smash Journeyman
Baw I'd be kinda hurt if someone brought their gf to my tourney and everyone took notice of her orz.. actually that's happened before hahaha "orz. I believe showing off is the main reason 8D

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I'm going to have to say that PB&J's posts in this thread are full of wisdom and truth and little else needs to be said.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Yeah, pretty much. PB&J had it down pretty pat. I brought my girlfriend to a tourney once and I never had a reason to be concerned. My only worry was that she would be too bored. I felt a little bad after, even though she wanted to spend the time together. She also got hella mad when another girl flirted with me, but she was very protective, and this particular girl likely flirted with everyone. Meh.

Anyway, yeah. What's said is basically whats what.

stealthwarrior17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2938-7216-1604
So obvious, to distract your opponent with the 'goods'.... just kidding.

Really, the only reason is the same reason why we attend these tourneys, for company, support, a familiar face and so on. plus a more mixed crowd makes the experience more exciting and enjoyable.

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
It's kind of just like I guess one of those things that make it more fun and less gay. Personally I'd imagine it's like "Well I love smash, and I love my girlfriend. And my girlfriend is willing to watch me play smash!"

Seriously with that kind of logic I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't.

Deuce

Smash Cadet
one time there was a melee tourney on my Campus. I attended and halfway through my girlfriend (at the time) showed up just to see how these smashed tourneys worked. I was wrecking everyone with my falco and was getting props left and right from random people just walking up talking about how i can 0 to death someone. (which wasn't hard like 3 people knew about L- canceling ffs lol) but afterwards i asked my girlfriend, "so how nerdy am I, gonna make fun of me right?" she said no way, just watching me handle all challengers and people cheering for me was quite the sight. She said she actually liked being there for support and whatnot. So that may not be the whole reason, but some of the girlfriends just go for support or curiousity. Some girls dont grasp sports, but they still go to see their significant others play...so yeah

Reioumu

Smash Lord
Lol, why is this thread so popular? It's like girls are a rare sight to see or something.

¯\(°_o)/¯

Either way, DJ Nintendo and PB&J know their ****. We should get some of Forward's advice on the matter if anyone knows what I'm referencing.

NeoBatou

Smash Ace
"oh sure, it's whoever's right to suck at whatever they want, that's cool. but for someone to get passionate enough to spend ~$30 and a day off every single weekend, all to participate in something they're clearly not especially talented at...seems a tad wasteful. there are so many other things you could be doing that don't cost money, especially on your day off, to come to tournaments every weekend just to place last isn't especially smart."

Again, it's not your right to tell people how to spend their time...and especially their money.
Taking Brawl too seriously? Please....it's like me trying to tell you and your girlfriend to not be in a serious relationship because your wasting time doing so.

It's an example...it's not a shot at you.

Ballistics

Smash Champion
what this thread has made me realize is that local tournaments need to be quicker so that friends as well as gf's wouldn't mind coming along

it seems everyones view of tournaments is long and drawn out and not a suitable place for spectators that have no love for the game

This is the real issue here, not whether or not non-smashers should be allowed

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Anyways it seems only a few people besides me seem to share the same opinion of bringing their girl to a tournament.

*pounds DJ and PBnJ*

Also @ The Fear, besides the fact that you're probably flapping your gums and have ZERO game.

The last time someone said anything to Hailey it was in a shoutout after the tournament where they said something along the lines of getting with the real guy.

She roasted him before I could.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
R. Kelly said it best... "Dont bring your girl to da club cause imma Flirt!" need I say more? Your girl with you at a tourney? cool... she better be looking like quasimodo or else im gonna spit game.
that may be true, but make sure you know how loyal before bringing her to a tournament. Or else someone other than you may be "smashing" later on that night...
Yeah so you're obviously a virgin.

I don't bring my lady to tourneys just cause she isn't really into Smash and I'd feel bad if she got bored. Plus she's almost always busy on the weekends.

Alessandra

Smash Apprentice
That's pathetic.
Talk about not showing the tiniest bit of respect for two people who are commited to each other.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
It was posted earlier in the thread, but it's on the 2nd page or something (40posts per page here) and so I'll say it again:

My girl comes for moral support, to have fun, make new friends, see me, do something new, and play smash. Pretty legit right?

All you people being insecure about your girl flirting are dumb. As long as you know who she's talkin to and she gives you a heads up on what she's gonna be doing if she goes out for food then you have nothing to worry about. ****. I don't have to ask my girl to do those things, she just flat out tells me. Besides, even the ones who have flirted with her don't get anywhere so I don't care.

Smash + Girls = Man up/Play Falcon.

4nace

Smash Ace
At a tournament at my school, my girlfriend came over for the end of it, after I dropped out to go get her at the train station.

She hated it haha, but I think that she acted like she hated more than she really did because that is what was expected. She knew my two friends and we watched them play a game or two, but she clearly wanted to leave.

Then the creepiest dude in the place comes up to her and says, "how does it feel to be oggled by a bunch of dudes?" Haha that was the tipping point. So we left before the end, even though my friends played each other in the finals later =P.

Long story short, she is not coming back to another one ever... but she'll ask me how a tourney is going on the phone heh, thats as involved as she'll get in smash.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
one time my gf (now ex) wanted to come to a tourney to support me or see what they are like or something but i told her not to come b/c i knew she would be bored out of her mind but would stay b/c she would feel obligated to. Thats why i never brought my gf to a tourney but there is nothing wrong with bringing your gf. like a lot of people said its not about it being a good place for a date but rather its about two people who want to spend time together.

a side note i feel i might choke under pressure if i brought my gf seeing how i would not want to lose in front of her upping the pressure of a match. but if the next girl i date wants to come to a tourney i think i will warn her she might be bored but happily bring her along anyway.

The Fear

Smash Cadet
i mean if shes not loyal..then u shoudnt be together
Thats all im saying, it really does tie in to the old quote, "dont hate the playa, hate the game" maybe it should be adjusted to say "dont hate the playa or the game... hate your girl" then drop that chic and make her walk back from whatever tournament you guys were at.
Seriously though, dont bring your girl to the club cause imma flirt... Pee on you... drip drip drip...

The Fear

Smash Cadet
That's pathetic.
Talk about not showing the tiniest bit of respect for two people who are commited to each other.
Are you slow or something?? Seriously say what you just said one more time, then actually listen to what you said. (Obviously if you were able to get his girl then she wasnt very commited now was she) I'd actually thank a guy that did that to me, I wouldnt want to be with a snake of a woman that would do that to me. Moments like that test a relationship.
Have you ever had a bf? really...

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
Itt: A surprising lack of sexists comments, trolling and stupidity. Where did all these mature people come from?, I came here to read snarky lol! drama. I am somewhat disappoint.
Anyway to add my two cents: Op's sentence

We all know that girls are a rarity in any gaming community.
I don't think that's quite true what is a rarity is the girls being in the competitive scene, I think girls playing the vidya games has gone up quite a bit, and not all like to tell that they are girls. Plus I wouldn't mind being dragged to a tournament, I like to take an active role in what my friends enjoy, strengthens those bonds. It does help that I like the game too but still....I just realized I've never gone to a tourny.

Alessandra

Smash Apprentice
Are you slow or something?? Seriously say what you just said one more time, then actually listen to what you said. (Obviously if you were able to get his girl then she wasnt very commited now was she) I'd actually thank a guy that did that to me, I wouldnt want to be with a snake of a woman that would do that to me. Moments like that test a relationship.
Have you ever had a bf? really...
Regardless of that fact, when two people are together and it's so obvious, a person who still goes up to flirt and tempt is still in my eyes, pathetic.

And try not to call me slow or things of that nature next time you respond to me. At least have a little respect in that sense. And boyfriends? Yes, I've actually had a few serious boyfriends. Now the question is, have you?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
GET AT HIM ALESSANDRA.

Though I side with Fear. Not that I'd go up and flirt with KevinM's girl. I don't flirt with the girls that are taken by smashers and close friends.

I mean I agree with him the sense of if a guy flirts with my girl and gets with her, I'd rather not want to be with her. However, the guy isn't getting off with a "Hey thanks for showing me she's a *****, bro".

Alessandra

Smash Apprentice
GET AT HIM ALESSANDRA.

Though I side with Fear. Not that I'd go up and flirt with KevinM's girl. I don't flirt with the girls that are taken by smashers and close friends.

I mean I agree with him the sense of if a guy flirts with my girl and gets with her, I'd rather not want to be with her. However, the guy isn't getting off with a "Hey thanks for showing me she's a *****, bro".
That's what I'm trying to say. He's trying to pass it off as
"Well in reality I'm actually doing the guy a favor .... :chuckle:"

I think not. If you know someone is taken, going up to flirt is still blatant disrespect.
I do understand what he's saying about the girl not being worth it if she's willing to
ditch her boyfriend for a random flirt, but then again, what does it say about his character
if he knows someone is taken and still goes up to flirt?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
On top of all that, a guy can always step it up and tell the other dude to stop if he notices.
Which is pretty obvious and easy.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Itt: A surprising lack of sexists comments, trolling and stupidity. Where did all these mature people come from?, I came here to read snarky lol! drama. I am somewhat disappoint.
Anyway to add my two cents: Op's sentence
LMAO I'm surprised too.

I don't think that's quite true what is a rarity is the girls being in the competitive scene, I think girls playing the vidya games has gone up quite a bit, and not all like to tell that they are girls. Plus I wouldn't mind being dragged to a tournament, I like to take an active role in what my friends enjoy, strengthens those bonds. It does help that I like the game too but still....I just realized I've never gone to a tourny.
You need to go to one soon, I haven't met you yet T_T next Viridian City is on the 24th try and make it!

rhan

Smash Hero
Regardless of that fact, when two people are together and it's so obvious, a person who still goes up to flirt and tempt is still in my eyes, pathetic.
How I feel about this:

If I flirt with your girl and get her. It's not my fault you're lame and your girl choose me. It's not pathetic, basic survival insticts of any human is to be with someone that can protect you and provide for you. If you ain't doin' that, then you ain't doin' right.

And with what PB&J and The Fear said. If she leave you obviously she won't for you to begin with. Just deal with that fact and move on. Anyway you shouldn't bring your girl if you know you're a lame-o. Plain and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom