• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~ Why Brawl isn't as competitive as it could be ~

Browny

Smash Hater
Gheb, i was referring to your comment on banning MK

"You guys wanna ban things until there's nothing left to ban."

Where do you get this idea from? Im so sick of people trying to justify their reasoning by citing hypothetical situations that WILL NEVER happen. hence, my comment on creating custom characters.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
My point is completely valid. From this thread you can see that little to no one wants to. The game is predominately for fun, is it not?
Not if you play it dompetitively...if you go to tournament you play to win.

Bunny hood completely changes the way you space and it makes edgeguarding impossible...I'm pretty sure that has a large impact on a match and it does more than that.
I assume that there are similar arguments against other items as well? I mean if you have a logical explanation why banana peels should be banned you could also find explanation to ban the other items too...

It's probably just the characters overall that makes the game less competitive.
The character balance is fine imo .... there are enough characters, who can compete seriously.

Brawl is at its competitive peak.
Since you're an obvious Brawl pro you know that already, right?

The lack of advanced techs, toning down of the game, slowness, lack of hitstun, etc. severely limit its potential as a competitive fighter.
inb4GTFO MELEE TROLL etc.
Compared to Melee maybe but not as a fighting game as such.
Also you have to admit that you are in fact trolling (kinda) since the only thing you mention are the differences between Melee and Brawl, which isn't even the subject of this.

Gheb, i was referring to your comment on banning MK

"You guys wanna ban things until there's nothing left to ban."

Where do you get this idea from? Im so sick of people trying to justify their reasoning by citing hypothetical situations that WILL NEVER happen. hence, my comment on creating custom characters.
But that's not the slippery slope argument. I'm not saying "You wanna ban MK, so you wanna ban Snake too". Nope. But experience has already shown that the community wants to ban too much: First MK, then D3 infinite and now planking. That's too much, especially since the game is only a year old now.

:059:

Browny

Smash Hater
Things that need to be banned, get banned

Stages are banned, items are banned, stalling is banned, IDC etc.

Maybe people want to ban things because... they need to get banned? Theres no arbitrary amount of tactics you can ban in a given time frame before its too much. Also just because D3 infinite and planking arent OFFICIALLY banned, doesnt mean they wont be. plenty of TO's all over the place place limits on D3 infinite and ledgestalling. If those two tactics were discovered and deemed broken within the first week of brawl coming out, would you care less if they were banned now?

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I assume that there are similar arguments against other items as well? I mean if you have a logical explanation why banana peels should be banned you could also find explanation to ban the other items too...
What? I said that the bunny hood is too good; I didn't say anything about banana peels. If items are used then the fairest way to do so is to not allow items that give an extremely large advantage with little to no thinking required.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Have you even read what I say? I never said that the smash ruleset should include the nonsense that happened at evo. I was only talking about items that don't break the game. Obviously, it is ******** to include Smash Balls in 1vs1 Brawl. It's not supposed to be an "item" tourney but merely an alternate rule that doesn't ban things that don't need to be banned - what's broken about the Franklin Badge exactly that gives us the need to ban it?
Hmm. MK ***** Toon Link. Oh no, I'm a scrub for saying that, BUT, we can play our best by using all our projectiles! So that's why MK doesn't bother me! BUT, Franklin Badges sound like they REALLY counter Toon Link, a projectile character. If I was MK, I'd simply plank until I got a franklin badge, then I'd go **** Toon Link...what could he do? His playstyle is completly robbed...it might be ok in other matchups, but vs. mk?

Basically, a Franklin Badge only helps some characters...it ***** others. A lot of items are biased like that, like a banana peel being a lot more helpful to a glidetosser.

cutter

Smash Champion
Here's my two cents on this.

If Brawl was any other generic fighting game, I don't think many people would be playing it.

But because it has the SSB brand to it and considering the previous successes from both SSB and SSBM, Brawl stays afloat because it attracts so many people to the game.

I just want this community to stay together.

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I agree with OP. Custom Stages, specifically, could be very game-enriching. The possibilities are nigh endless. We could have a sort of "standard SBR approved custom stages" list that are simple to make and enrich counterpicking options and add more nuetrals to the list.

I suspect that items are a part of the balance of the game that is being neglected. Every character, for example, has different weapon techniques (beam sword, HRB, Lip's Stick, etc.). Obviously, we don't want to throw bumpers into the brew, but certain items I think should be allowed.

No comment on banning.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Franklin Badge would destroy Diddy's Banana game. His banana game is kind of why hes where he is in the tier list.

I wouldn't be too happy if my banana game was usless 25% of the match on a stage I could normally use my banana game 90% of the time.

Lets take a matchup like MK vs Toon Link

Toon Link needs his projectiles, they work good against MK who dosn't have projectiles. If franklin badge is allowed all MK needs to do is camp untill he gets a franklin badge, once he gets one he can go all out of Toon Link. What is Toon Link going to do against a good MK w/o projecitles? I don't know that much about TL but I sure do know that TL uses them a lot and has a hard time winning even with them.

Also all battering items should definatly be banned because throwing them is cheap as hell, they've got huge priority, deal a lot of damage quick, and they retartedly gimp you (i dunno if retartedly is even a word but I'm using it to describe how easily battering items can gimp a character)

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
wow, lets just turn off all items while we are at it. Look, if the items do not have an advantage over normal attacks, then no one is going to use them. They'll sit there and take up space on the stage.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
What? I said that the bunny hood is too good; I didn't say anything about banana peels. If items are used then the fairest way to do so is to not allow items that give an extremely large advantage with little to no thinking required.[/color]
I actually wanted to say Bunny Hood instead of Banana Peel...just a confusion on my side. But I assumed you're against items either way? Which items don't "give an extremely large advantage with little to no thinking required?"

Hmm. MK ***** Toon Link. Oh no, I'm a scrub for saying that, BUT, we can play our best by using all our projectiles! So that's why MK doesn't bother me! BUT, Franklin Badges sound like they REALLY counter Toon Link, a projectile character. If I was MK, I'd simply plank until I got a franklin badge, then I'd go **** Toon Link...what could he do? His playstyle is completly robbed...it might be ok in other matchups, but vs. mk?

Basically, a Franklin Badge only helps some characters...it ***** others. A lot of items are biased like that, like a banana peel being a lot more helpful to a glidetosser.
That might be possible. I just used the Franklin Badge as an example since I assumed it to be acceptable - if it should turn out the other way it needs to be banned. However, I still think that it's okay....but who knows. Maybe the Franklin Badge is too good? The OP only shows the concept/the idea - that doesn't mean that everything I mentioned has to be used that way. The general idea is that items that don't break the game should be allowed - whether this is the case for the Franklin Badge is a different question.

Franklin Badge would destroy Diddy's Banana game. His banana game is kind of why hes where he is in the tier list.

I wouldn't be too happy if my banana game was usless 25% of the match on a stage I could normally use my banana game 90% of the time.

Lets take a matchup like MK vs Toon Link

Toon Link needs his projectiles, they work good against MK who dosn't have projectiles. If franklin badge is allowed all MK needs to do is camp untill he gets a franklin badge, once he gets one he can go all out of Toon Link. What is Toon Link going to do against a good MK w/o projecitles? I don't know that much about TL but I sure do know that TL uses them a lot and has a hard time winning even with them.
I commented about that above.

Also all battering items should definatly be banned because throwing them is cheap as hell, they've got huge priority, deal a lot of damage quick, and they retartedly gimp you (i dunno if retartedly is even a word but I'm using it to describe how easily battering items can gimp a character)
I agree but before we discuss which items should be allowed people need to be convinced by the idea in the first place.

wow, lets just turn off all items while we are at it.
Yeah because a Smash Ball or Spicy Curry doesn't break theame at all? It's not hard to realize that some items are much more tolerable than others.

Look, if the items do not have an advantage over normal attacks, then no one is going to use them. They'll sit there and take up space on the stage.
1.) Who said that they don't have advantages? A guarenteed trip on the opponent can be better than a guaranteed jab but is still acceptable since banana peels are a normal part of the game (plus it's situational).

2.) Not all items are used to attack the opponent. A Sandbag can be used as a meatshield...a Franklin Badge has no such purposes at all.

cman

Smash Ace
That might be possible. I just used the Franklin Badge as an example since I assumed it to be acceptable - if it should turn out the other way it needs to be banned. However, I still think that it's okay....but who knows. Maybe the Franklin Badge is too good? The OP only shows the concept/the idea - that doesn't mean that everything I mentioned has to be used that way. The general idea is that items that don't break the game should be allowed - whether this is the case for the Franklin Badge is a different question.
The Franklin badge can be countered by knocking it off. A smash attack (possibly some others, but I would have to check) hitting the person wearing it will knock it off. Therefore, counterable.

Yeah because a Smash Ball or Spicy Curry doesn't break theame at all? It's not hard to realize that some items are much more tolerable than others.
Smash balls are actually quite fine with the new rule ISP decided on. Go check it. Works well.

~~~~~
ISP is super fun stuff. Play it a few times before you decide, to everyone. I've haven't had anyone to play a whole lot with to find any really broken stuff, but if there is, it could be pretty easily resolved.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
Spicy Cury and the like may be broken, but that doesn't mean we should go around banning ****ing Fanklin Badge. That's ridiculous. If MK wants to stall, then T.Link can just get the glory of having all the items that appear on stage.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
I actually wanted to say Bunny Hood instead of Banana Peel...just a confusion on my side. But I assumed you're against items either way? Which items don't "give an extremely large advantage with little to no thinking required?"
I already gave you my view on items
My argument against items is simple. Either turning them on is going to have an impact on the match or it won't. If it won't have an impact, why turn them on? If it does have an impact, then they shouldn't be allowed because they spawn randomly. Someone shouldn't be rewarded for just happening to be at the part of the stage where the item spawns.

That being said, I wouldn't really care if ISP became an alternative to Brawl singles as long as the most broken items are turned off since it'd probably be more fun.
Here are a few items from the top of my head that don't grant a massive advantage with little to no thinking

Food - Barely have an effect on the match
Sandbag - Same as food
Warp Star - Hard to hit with
Lip's Stick - Not that powerful
Fire Flower - Not that powerful and similar to Bowser and Charizard's neutral B's
Motion-sensor bomb - Similar to Snake's dsmash
Screw attack - Similar to Samus' up b
Banana peel - Identical to Diddy's down b

cman

Smash Ace
Here's my two cents on this.

If Brawl was any other generic fighting game, I don't think many people would be playing it.

But because it has the SSB brand to it and considering the previous successes from both SSB and SSBM, Brawl stays afloat because it attracts so many people to the game.

I just want this community to stay together.
I didn't notice this at first, but yeah, there are a lot slinters off of the community. Brawl+ (with many many different versions, until maybe there is a standard), ISP, brawl teams/singles, melee teams/singles, etc. The best way to hold the community together would probably be to hold events for each at tournaments, but those tournaments would be rediculous to run.

Mattsy

Smash Apprentice
Not if you play it dompetitively...if you go to tournament you play to win.
And why do you play the game competitively? Because you enjoy it.

There have been enough arguments against you which you just shrug off with simplistic arguments. "You can throw it back at him" is not a good enough argument to justify the chance factor of items spawning in and going to one character and not the other.

Compared to Melee maybe but not as a fighting game as such.
Also you have to admit that you are in fact trolling (kinda) since the only thing you mention are the differences between Melee and Brawl, which isn't even the subject of this.
Not really. You're saying one thing makes Brawl less competitive, he's saying something else is making it less comepetitive. Melee comparisons are likely to be brought up (ignoring the fact that he didn't even mention melee, you did)

There's also the argument that people will focus on getting items and using them instead of focussing on their opponent. It'd completely change the direction of smash. :/

what's broken about the Franklin Badge exactly that gives us the need to ban it?
It's a distraction an steals focus away from the fighting. It favours characters without projectiles, because in essence it eliminates a special (or many, in the case of Samus, or Link) from the moveset of certain characters whilst other will keep theirs intact. It will spawn randomly and therein diminish the skill required to win a match by at least SOME amount.

As for custom stages...

It's got potential, sure, but I think it'd need to be carefully observed by the SBR to make sure we don't produce something hellishly advantageous.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
The Franklin badge can be countered by knocking it off. A smash attack (possibly some others, but I would have to check) hitting the person wearing it will knock it off. Therefore, counterable.

Smash balls are actually quite fine with the new rule ISP decided on. Go check it. Works well.

~~~~~
ISP is super fun stuff. Play it a few times before you decide, to everyone. I've haven't had anyone to play a whole lot with to find any really broken stuff, but if there is, it could be pretty easily resolved.
Thanks for the input on the Franklin Badge.

Either way, I can agree on that. Using results and from the ISP Brawl would be a reliable way to determine the competitive facor of certain items.

Spicy Cury and the like may be broken, but that doesn't mean we should go around banning ****ing Fanklin Badge. That's ridiculous. If MK wants to stall, then T.Link can just get the glory of having all the items that appear on stage.
I see...I misinterpreted your first post, it seems. I wan't sure whether your post was just sarcasm or not. My apologies.

But yes, I agree...you can't just exclude all items because some of them are broken. Some items can (and imo should) be thereofre taken into consideration for competitive play.

Here are a few items from the top of my head that don't grant a massive advantage with little to no thinking

Food - Barely have an effect on the match
Sandbag - Same as food
Warp Star - Hard to hit with
Lip's Stick - Not that powerful
Fire Flower - Not that powerful and similar to Bowser and Charizard's neutral B's
Motion-sensor bomb - Similar to Snake's dsmash
Screw attack - Similar to Samus' up b
Banana peel - Identical to Diddy's down b
Thanks for the input...these are some good ideas to start with and I know that these items are also part of the ISP Brawl. Perhaps it would be best to get some results and data of ISP Brawl matches/tourneys to see which items could be allowed?

I didn't notice this at first, but yeah, there are a lot slinters off of the community. Brawl+ (with many many different versions, until maybe there is a standard), ISP, brawl teams/singles, melee teams/singles, etc. The best way to hold the community together would probably be to hold events for each at tournaments, but those tournaments would be rediculous to run.
I'm against Brawl+ as events on standard Brawl tournaments. Brawl+ is not Brawl...it's a different game with different mechanics and physics. If people want to play it in tournaments then it should be as its own game as it's very different.

However, I can imagine having two different rulesets at a two day event. The first day has singles/teams with the standard ruleset, while on the second day singles/teams with the alternative ruleset will be offered.

There have been enough arguments against you which you just shrug off with simplistic arguments. "You can throw it back at him" is not a good enough argument to justify the chance factor of items spawning in and going to one character and not the other.
If the item doesn't change the battle as dramticall as a Final Smash does it's a valid argument.

Not really. You're saying one thing makes Brawl less competitive, he's saying something else is making it less comepetitive. Melee comparisons are likely to be brought up (ignoring the fact that he didn't even mention melee, you did)
Melee comparisions are unnessecary. What he says is unimportant if he's obviously wrong (or if he has no proof for being right). Adding items and custom stages could possibly make the game more comptitive...but if nobody tries, nobody knows.

There's also the argument that people will focus on getting items and using them instead of focussing on their opponent. It'd completely change the direction of smash. :/
What's wrong with changing the direction of smash? To some extent it is the purpose oter all. Items that deal little to no damage are also rarely any better than "normal fighting". Sometimes you're better off attacking the opponen t and sometimes an item might give you a situational advantage. Just because a Banana Peels lies around randomly doesn't mean all hell breaks loose just to get that item.

It's a distraction an steals focus away from the fighting. It favours characters without projectiles, because in essence it eliminates a special (or many, in the case of Samus, or Link) from the moveset of certain characters whilst other will keep theirs intact. It will spawn randomly and therein diminish the skill required to win a match by at least SOME amount.
Steals focus from the fighing? Not all items do that. Some items make fighting actually more effective and the "no skill" argument is only true for certain items (which are banned anyways). A warp star - if there's one on the field - takes away the focus from the battle? Not at all because actually fighting is much more effective than running to that item and being unable to fight off the opponent just to get an item that isn't even guaranteed to hit.
Landing a hit with the warp star does indeed tak skill and prediction and offers some risks for the user as well (he has to get it somehow if he wants to use it).

Not all items make the unplayable or over-centralize the gameplay.

As for custom stages...

It's got potential, sure, but I think it'd need to be carefully observed by the SBR to make sure we don't produce something hellishly advantageous.
I agree. Nothing is more important than objectivity when it comes to the fairness and balance of stages. Using the SBR as an institution to determine the legality of custon stages would be the best decision.

Mattsy

Smash Apprentice
Comments in red.

If the item doesn't change the battle as dramticall as a Final Smash does it's a valid argument.

You should know there are more variables than that to consider. Things like this favour characters, stages, mentalities. Plus characters without glide tosses are put at an instant disadvantage.

Melee comparisions are unnessecary. What he says is unimportant if he's obviously wrong (or if he has no proof for being right). Adding items and custom stages could possibly make the game more comptitive...but if nobody tries, nobody knows.

You brought up Melee. He didn't compare it with anything, he merely said why Brawl wasn't competitive in his opinion.

What's wrong with changing the direction of smash? To some extent it is the purpose oter all. Items that deal little to no damage are also rarely any better than "normal fighting". Sometimes you're better off attacking the opponen t and sometimes an item might give you a situational advantage. Just because a Banana Peels lies around randomly doesn't mean all hell breaks loose just to get that item.

So what about when people run after every item? When people runs away and camp with items? How can it be stalling when you're going after items, right?

Steals focus from the fighing? Not all items do that. Some items make fighting actually more effective and the "no skill" argument is only true for certain items (which are banned anyways). A warp star - if there's one on the field - takes away the focus from the battle? Not at all because actually fighting is much more effective than running to that item and being unable to fight off the opponent just to get an item that isn't even guaranteed to hit.
Landing a hit with the warp star does indeed tak skill and prediction and offers some risks for the user as well (he has to get it somehow if he wants to use it).

I meant all items steal focus from fighting when someone flees to the other side of the stage to collect something. The focus stops being on attacking your opponent and it starts being on retrieving something to use against them.

And the warp star is hard to punish, fast and extreme powerful. :/

Competitive Smash is all about being fair, IMO, and nothing is gonna make it less fair than introducing items to it, even if they are less powerful. Aside from undermining porjectiles, Diddy's banana game, characters without glide tosses, there's always the randomness factor of item spawning.

I agree. Nothing is more important than objectivity when it comes to the fairness and balance of stages. Using the SBR as an institution to determine the legality of custon stages would be the best decision.

:3

N1c2k3

Smash Lord
The average join date in this thread is June 2008. Therefore, I don't expect some of what I'm going to say to be understood by all. And why is it that Melee comparisons aren't valid? I see that coming from people who haven't played Melee competitively. If that's the case, and if you were to play Melee, you'd see why it's totally valid. I'm not hating on Brawl noobs (atm), I'm saying that you cannot understand the comparison because you have not experienced it personally...

Anyway, 3 random points I just brought up out of my head why Brawl isn't as competitive as it could be (generally as compared to Melee):

1. You don't have as much and as quick control over your character. Lack of Lcancelling, WD'ing, etc. means you can't move around as much to create openings, or fake creating openings. (making opponent whiff attacks, change what you were doing previously into something new to keep them guessing, etc. These are only 2 very simple stupid general examples b/c I really don't care about arguing this obvious and pointless topic any longer)

2. Survivability. Most people don't consider this a big element, but I think it's crucial. Simply living longer draws matches out. The longer a match is drawn out, the more chances the one has to turn the tides of the match. In theory, if one player is truly better it should not matter as they will have the smarts to stay on top and re-counter themselves, but the opportunities of a comeback increase with time. Again, nothing wrong with comebacks; they're tight and all, but you're essentially catering more and more to the losing player. That element in itself is anti-competitive in nature. Which sort of leads into the 3rd and most important point...

3. There's much less risk/reward factors. Everything's "safer" and therefore you have a convergence of moves into broader categories of what's usable or not, ultimately leading to spamming of only a few moves and of course tons of camping. Similar to what I said before, being able to survive longer, taking less knock back, and less stun time means that even if you whiff the laggiest attack possible, let's say, there's a finite amount of punishment you can possibly take. This again undermines the nature of what a competitive fighter should be: You miss big, you should pay big. Why do you think SF2 is considered by many to take most skill of any fighting game? Because you can't afford to make any mistakes.

And I can't do anything but lol @ items even being mentioned. What, are we in 2003 again?

Simple rebuttal: Even if the "stronger" items are banned, any time an item drops out of the sky or appears either right at your feet or at a spot much closer to you guaranteeing you'll get it or even making it a MINISCULE amount easier to get to, you've instantly introduced chance (or "luck"). To me I think of it as a direct ratio - Adding randomness unequivocally decreases the amount of skill needed, even if by a fraction. The cannot coexist at 100%, 100 being the maximum capacity of skill/chance ratio. In certain games (Poker, etc) there will always be a certain amount of luck (ie: the draw of the cards). No matter how much skill you have at the game, you will never be able to control what card comes next. Not to say Poker players don't have as much skill as any other group, although it is a different kind, there will always exist an element of chance.

From dictionary.com:

"the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled: often personified or treated as a positive agency"

"The unknown and unpredictable element in happenings that seems to have no assignable cause"

In Smash, stages introduce chance also. The difference is a stage change or hazard is constant, repetitive, and although at one time or the other could prove more useful for one person than the other (Cloud, Barrel, Lave) it will repeat its actions in a predictable pattern 100% of the time, and therefore present the opportunity for you (or the opponent) to utilize it later, meaning the burden of circumstance is completely under your control to make it happen. Although the whole "FD only" phrase is slewed and misused, it actually makes perfect sense: The stage (and Battlefield ,although Battliefield sux :p) introduce no change or randomness, and therefore almost all elements of chance are removed.

General Summary: The objective in any competitive game IMO should be, which I hope most people in here realize already if they haven't heard it repeated on these boards a million times already, to reduce the amount of chance, therefore increasing the amount of skill needed.

Wow, that turned out much longer than I wanted it to. Again, just things I thought of on the fly. There's plenty more, lots that I've written before too, but this isn't for me. I'm way over trying to convince people which game has more to offer (which wasn't really the point of this post, just had to mention it) From a competitive standpoint, there's really nothing you can argue for on Brawl's behalf. My challenge, as I stated before, to anyone who plays Brawl and enjoys competition: Give Melee a legitimate shot. You'll soon learn which is more rewarding and why, when you brake it down logically, one can only be defined as a more competitive game...

Mattsy

Smash Apprentice
The average join date in this thread is June 2008. Therefore, I don't expect some of what I'm going to say to be understood by all. And why is it that Melee comparisons aren't valid? I see that coming from people who haven't played Melee competitively. If that's the case, and if you were to play Melee, you'd see why it's totally valid. I'm not hating on Brawl noobs (atm), I'm saying that you cannot understand the comparison because you have not experienced it personally...

Anyway, 3 random points I just brought up out of my head why Brawl isn't as competitive as it could be (generally as compared to Melee):

1. You don't have as much and as quick control over your character. Lack of Lcancelling, WD'ing, etc. means you can't move around as much to create openings, or fake creating openings. (making opponent whiff attacks, change what you were doing previously into something new to keep them guessing, etc. These are only 2 very simple stupid general examples b/c I really don't care about arguing this obvious and pointless topic any longer)

2. Survivability. Most people don't consider this a big element, but I think it's crucial. Simply living longer draws matches out. The longer a match is drawn out, the more chances the one has to turn the tides of the match. In theory, if one player is truly better it should not matter as they will have the smarts to stay on top and re-counter themselves, but the opportunities of a comeback increase with time. Again, nothing wrong with comebacks; they're tight and all, but you're essentially catering more and more to the losing player. That element in itself is anti-competitive in nature. Which sort of leads into the 3rd and most important point...

3. There's much less risk/reward factors. Everything's "safer" and therefore you have a convergence of moves into broader categories of what's usable or not, ultimately leading to spamming of only a few moves and of course tons of camping. Similar to what I said before, being able to survive longer, taking less knock back, and less stun time means that even if you whiff the laggiest attack possible, let's say, there's a finite amount of punishment you can possibly take. This again undermines the nature of what a competitive fighter should be: You miss big, you should pay big. Why do you think SF2 is considered by many to take most skill of any fighting game? Because you can't afford to make any mistakes.

And I can't do anything but lol @ items even being mentioned. What, are we in 2003 again?

Simple rebuttal: Even if the "stronger" items are banned, any time an item drops out of the sky or appears either right at your feet or at a spot much closer to you guaranteeing you'll get it or even making it a MINISCULE amount easier to get to, you've instantly introduced chance (or "luck"). To me I think of it as a direct ratio - Adding randomness unequivocally decreases the amount of skill needed, even if by a fraction. The cannot coexist at 100%, 100 being the maximum capacity of skill/chance ratio. In certain games (Poker, etc) there will always be a certain amount of luck (ie: the draw of the cards). No matter how much skill you have at the game, you will never be able to control what card comes next. Not to say Poker players don't have as much skill as any other group, although it is a different kind, there will always exist an element of chance.

From dictionary.com:

"the absence of any cause of events that can be predicted, understood, or controlled: often personified or treated as a positive agency"

"The unknown and unpredictable element in happenings that seems to have no assignable cause"

In Smash, stages introduce chance also. The difference is a stage change or hazard is constant, repetitive, and although at one time or the other could prove more useful for one person than the other (Cloud, Barrel, Lave) it will repeat its actions in a predictable pattern 100% of the time, and therefore present the opportunity for you (or the opponent) to utilize it later, meaning the burden of circumstance is completely under your control to make it happen. Although the whole "FD only" phrase is slewed and misused, it actually makes perfect sense: The stage (and Battlefield ,although Battliefield sux :p) introduce no change or randomness, and therefore almost all elements of chance are removed.

General Summary: The objective in any competitive game IMO should be, which I hope most people in here realize already if they haven't heard it repeated on these boards a million times already, to reduce the amount of chance, therefore increasing the amount of skill needed.

Wow, that turned out much longer than I wanted it to. Again, just things I thought of on the fly. There's plenty more, lots that I've written before too, but this isn't for me. I'm way over trying to convince people which game has more to offer (which wasn't really the point of this post, just had to mention it) From a competitive standpoint, there's really nothing you can argue for on Brawl's behalf. My challenge, as I stated before, to anyone who plays Brawl and enjoys competition: Give Melee a legitimate shot. You'll soon learn which is more rewarding and why, when you brake it down logically, one can only be defined as a more competitive game...
I agree with this 100%.

although there's a small part of me that's kinda D: 'cause you came in and said exactly what I was trying to say in a much better and more eloquent way. ;-;

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord

From dictionary.com:

You win one internets.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
@Mattsy

I can't respond to your points the way you wrote them...you wrote them into my own Quote, which I can't seem to quote again :ohwell:

I see that coming from people who haven't played Melee competitively. If that's the case, and if you were to play Melee, you'd see why it's totally valid. I'm not hating on Brawl noobs (atm), I'm saying that you cannot understand the comparison because you have not experienced it personally...
I'm not saying that the comparision isn't valid at all. The thing is that this topic has absolutely nothing to do with Melee in the first place. I already mentioned in the OP that Melee is probably more competitive. Of course a Melee fanboy doesn't care about that...as soon as he sees the words "Brawl" and "competitive" in the same context he feels the need to point out how much superior Melee is.

Also use the word "brawl noob" more carefully. Not everybody who enjoys Brawl doesn't understand anything about competitive play. If anything you can call me a Melee noob because I suck at the game (even though I like it...Yes, some people are actually smart and realize that both are good games).

That's not what I'm talking about. Please, use your brain while reading the first post in this topic. I never, never, NEVER said that Melee wasn't more competitive.

What I'm trying to say is that there are mechanics in Brawl that are not yet used in competitive play. People don't even try to use them (and some people are so narrow minded and scrubby that they reject those ideas in the first place). I never said that Brawl would become as competitive as Melee. But Brawl still has the potential to become more competitive than it is now, regardless of the comparision to Melee (which is unimportant).

Melee related stuff
Yeah, whatever.

You should learn to read. Items in Brawl =/= Items in Melee

Stuff about items, luck and poker
That's why only items should be considered, that require skill to use in the first place. Even if you get it out of pure luck you shouldn't have an unfair advantage - as long as it takes skill to use that item well (or the opponent can evade easily), there's still a balance even if items appear randomly.

And what does this have to do with anything I said? In Brawl you can create such stages to your hearts content so what's your point?

But, does reducing chance always increase the amount of skill? Some items do take skill to be used well even though they appear randomly.

You know what? You can **** yourself. People enjoy Brawl for a reason. The problem is that Melee fanboys like just can't accept that. Even the best of your players says that Brawl is a good game, so stfu about Melee. And this is coming from a person who actually likes Melee.
People can like Brawl and Melee at the same time. Get that in your head. You always act like "one or the other". Nope. I won't do that. I'll play both games because both are good and both are - in a very different way - great games for competition.

Your intention obviously wasn't to contribute anything to the subject but merely to troll. I advice you to stop that.

KO M

Smash Apprentice
Iv always liked smash 64 a lot more, Melee was though the best.... I guess smash bros brawl isnt competitive because of L cancel. Take brawl + MK gets nerfed big time, more chars like in melee can do really well. Its not just the character, but the player as well. But yeah, the fact there is no L cancel in brawl hurts its competitive play. But I think having so many tourneys as we are right now. The competitive side looks good

Enigmatics

Smash Rookie
But, does reducing chance always increase the amount of skill? Some items do take skill to be used well even though they appear randomly.
are you seriously proposing that adding items that drop at random will make brawl more competative, i.e., skill-based? it doesn't matter how much skill is required to use items, what matters is that the brawl player can't anticipate their appearence, and that he or she certainly can't adapt his or her playstyle to the throw of dice.

johns are just excuses, and "no johns" sometimes obsfucates reason so much that every victory and defeat in tourneys seems like it's solely the player who lost's fault.

but honestly? i can't see myself saying "item johns" to someone who was just ko'd by a star.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I say AllBrawl should be considered, though that's just my opinion. People should read AlphaZealot's blog on All brawl if you haven't. Me, I like both rulesets (Though I like items for Brawl alot more).

Mattsy

Smash Apprentice
I made it easier for you to respond to:

You should know there are more variables than that to consider. Things like this favour characters, stages, mentalities. Plus characters without glide tosses are put at an instant disadvantage.

You brought up Melee. He didn't compare it with anything, he merely said why Brawl wasn't competitive in his opinion.

So what about when people run after every item? When people runs away and camp with items? How can it be stalling when you're going after items, right?

I meant all items steal focus from fighting when someone flees to the other side of the stage to collect something. The focus stops being on attacking your opponent and it starts being on retrieving something to use against them.

Competitive Smash is all about being fair, IMO, and nothing is gonna make it less fair than introducing items to it, even if they are less powerful. Aside from undermining porjectiles, Diddy's banana game, characters without glide tosses, there's always the randomness factor of item spawning.

:3

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
AllBrawl is actually quite fun and does have consistent results, the "randomness" really isn't that bad. All you have to do is control the entire stage whenever the spawn window is about to open. You can do this by hitting the opponent off the stage-if you win this battle you win the spawn, if you lose this battle then its a probability based on the amount of the stage each of you control.

Turbo Ether

Smash Master
One question:

Is MK (best character) vs Captain Falcon (worst character) more balanced with items on or off?

Oracle

Smash Master
One question:

Is MK (best character) vs Captain Falcon (worst character) more balanced with items on or off?
If you want to get technical, it could be, but its dependant on luck. that factor will never be eliminated from items on, no matter how small it is, and there are always situations that can make or break a match from randomness. Stage control is valid, but it still doesn't eliminate the randomness, and in competition, the goal is to eliminate all randomness that has a huge effect on a match.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
Iv always liked smash 64 a lot more, Melee was though the best.... I guess smash bros brawl isnt competitive because of L cancel. Take brawl + MK gets nerfed big time, more chars like in melee can do really well. Its not just the character, but the player as well. But yeah, the fact there is no L cancel in brawl hurts its competitive play. But I think having so many tourneys as we are right now. The competitive side looks good
We know that Melee is more competitive by now. We don't want to get Brawl as competitive as Melee though...just more competitive than it is now.

are you seriously proposing that adding items that drop at random will make brawl more competative, i.e., skill-based? it doesn't matter how much skill is required to use items, what matters is that the brawl player can't anticipate their appearence, and that he or she certainly can't adapt his or her playstyle to the throw of dice.
Why not? Stage control is a major part in Brawl and should be rewarded. Somebody who controls the stage better = more skilled player. Why shouldn't he be granted better access to items? It's not like all items destroy the opponent by throwing it at him. Some still need skill to be used.

It's not a "throw of dice" at all. Getting an item requires you to actually fight your opponent and prevent him from getting it...why shouldn't we give it a shot?

johns are just excuses, and "no johns" sometimes obsfucates reason so much that every victory and defeat in tourneys seems like it's solely the player who lost's fault.

but honestly? i can't see myself saying "item johns" to someone who was just ko'd by a star.
Why would he get KO'd by such an innacurate item? If the opponent really manages to hit him with a Warp Star he either

a.) made a mistake, which is bound to be punished
b.) has a very skilled opponent, who should be rewarded

Neither of these options make the game more or less competitive.

I say AllBrawl should be considered, though that's just my opinion. People should read AlphaZealot's blog on All brawl if you haven't. Me, I like both rulesets (Though I like items for Brawl alot more).
I don't know about that ruleset...do you have a link to it?

That's nothing people can't deal with honestly. A better or worse glidetoss shouldn't affect the outcome of a match, ever.

I didn't bring up Melee. I only mention that people consider it more competitive than Brawl. Mentioning why this is the case is not only redundant (as I mentioned it myself) but also irrelevant because this topic is about Brawl only.

Before you actually get the item you have to make sure your opponent can't get it by knocking him off. Getting an item as a reward isn't too much asked if the item won't have too drastic effects.

Also what items do you camp with? The only thing I can think of is the Sandbag but it can be knocked away easily.

Not if the item isn't worth it in a given situation. It's not like you can just run away without getting punished. You still need to get your opponent far away enough to make sure you get the item...and then it might not even be an item, that helps you very much.

But it's also easy to avoid, has a limite attack radius and you need to kock your opponent far away to safely get it....sounds pretty balanced to me.

But there's also skill involved as you not only have to get it safely but you also have to make perfect use of it if you want to benefit from that item. I'm not saying it does for sure but that might outweigh the random factor (especially if items are only low).

AllBrawl is actually quite fun and does have consistent results, the "randomness" really isn't that bad. All you have to do is control the entire stage whenever the spawn window is about to open. You can do this by hitting the opponent off the stage-if you win this battle you win the spawn, if you lose this battle then its a probability based on the amount of the stage each of you control.
So what do you think about custom stages in competitive Brawl?

One question:

Don't be silly. This a ridcoulus match-up that obviously won't be affected by items...

If you want to get technical, it could be, but its dependant on luck. that factor will never be eliminated from items on, no matter how small it is, and there are always situations that can make or break a match from randomness. Stage control is valid, but it still doesn't eliminate the randomness, and in competition, the goal is to eliminate all randomness that has a huge effect on a match.
But the randomness of a Banana randomly spawning doesn't have a huge effect on a match (and it will never make Falcon win against MK).

Oracle

Smash Master
I just said it didn't matter how small the effect is. It is still random, and can in fact ruin a match. You are approaching. banana. You trip. IC's chaingrab you to death.

Lethon

Smash Rookie
banana peels might not be a good idea, as the above poster said
If DDD is in the middle of his chaingrab and the victim gets lucky and a random banana drops and DDD slips. Wouldn't luck make the game less competitive?

If some characters like Ike have a good glide toss, they may easily abuse it as an approach option. This could probably turn a would be bad matchup, into a rather playable one.

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
I just said it didn't matter how small the effect is. It is still random, and can in fact ruin a match. You are approaching. banana. You trip. IC's chaingrab you to death.
banana peels might not be a good idea, as the above poster said
If DDD is in the middle of his chaingrab and the victim gets lucky and a random banana drops and DDD slips. Wouldn't luck make the game less competitive?

If some characters like Ike have a good glide toss, they may easily abuse it as an approach option. This could probably turn a would be bad matchup, into a rather playable one.
That's not how the banana works. They only cause you to trip if you or your opponent picks it up. It doesn't cause you to trip on spawn.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
This thread better see some valid discussion quick before I close because its basically both sides ignoring each other and saying the same thing over and over again.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This thread better see some valid discussion quick before I close because its basically both sides ignoring each other and saying the same thing over and over again.
TIGER

TIGER

TIGER

TIGER

TIGER

TIGER

TIGER

TIGER
I found that funny, because what you said can be taken literally.

However, to be serious, I think that the concept of SBR-approved custom stages seems entirely plausible. One could argue that the "fairness" of said stages is arguable in itself, but the same could potentially be said about our current neutral set, too.

It wouldn't be hard to check for those stages when a setup is used. Just pass around an SD card and give stages that way; it's just as "difficult" as passing around a memory card to different Melee setups.

Stev

Smash Ace
Don't forget that the opposite might hold true as well. An already bad matchup or decent matchup could turn incredibly 1 sided.

Also, someone mentioned how you have to fight people for items. Well the only item that I think that's actually the most accurate is the smashball because it takes multiple hits so that if it spawns next to someone, they're not necessarily going to get it. We all saw what that item did at Evo, so I won't go into it. But the fact remains, that there will be too many times where items will favor a particular player in a match, and then consecutive matches, and so on, that one player thus gains a significant advantage. Like i said earlier, the only way to make items fair is to give the same amount to each player, which is impossible.

Top Bottom