• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who was the least wanted character in Smash history?

Who was the least wanted character added?

• Total voters

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
The thing is with G&W is that he never existed before Smash. At least Captain falcon, R.O.B., Ganondorf, etc. had some form of existence before they became fighters. Even if their movesets are totally made up, they had some affiliation with Nintendo. G&W, however, did not exist, period.
Yes, thank you. I'm not sure what is so hard for one to grasp about this.

osby

Smash Obsessed
That would actually be my number 2. I hate everything about G&W, but Piranha Plant is so damn generic, its like Master-Hero-Soccer-Guy is trying to piss me off.
What does what you think about them has anything to do with the quetion of OP?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
The OP never stated a question. The only guideline comes from the title of the thread, which becomes incredibly subjective if taken too seriously (or not seriously enough).

Shroob

Sup?
The issue is that Awakening doesn't need three fighters, Fire Emblem already had more than enough fighters to begin with, if we were going to get another fighter they should have been more unique, Chrom's character is boring, we don't need another blue haired sword wielding Fire Emblem hero. They rushed Chrom in at the last second (most likely because Intelligent would have a fit if there wasn't a FE newcomer), he feels more like bad aftertaste after eating black licorice. He'd be better off in Robin's Final Smash and victory pose and an assist trophy at best. He's a clone of a clone, which sucks. There's no reason, in my opinion, why he should be in.
Opinions, left and right.

Which is fine, but as someone who's not even a fan of the FE franchise(Myself), I welcome Chrom to the cast. He was a sorely missing addition from 4, and I'm glad he's here.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Opinions, left and right.

Which is fine, but as someone who's not even a fan of the FE franchise(Myself), I welcome Chrom to the cast. He was a sorely missing addition from 4, and I'm glad he's here.
Yes.
This entire thread is about opinions. Least wanted fighters. The OP never stated we had to produce the objectively least requested, because there's only be one answer (whoever the least wanted fighter is), and the thread would have been closed in less than ten posts.

D

Deleted member

He is my boi, and I don't wanna talk negativly about him... BUT how has NO ONE talked about :ultlucas:?!

1. His game didn't sell well
  2. Almost no one knew him before brawl
  3. He is very obscure
  4. And his game is STILL a Japan exclusive. Atleast the other characters on the ballot made their way in the west (Besides Smash and Roms/Fangames)
In my honest opinion, I think :ultlucas: was the #1 on the least wanted Character when brought into Smash.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
He is my boi, and I don't wanna talk negativly about him... BUT how has NO ONE talked about :ultlucas:?!

3. He is very obscure
  4. And his game is STILL a Japan exclusive. Atleast the other characters on the ballot made their way in the west (Besides Smash and Roms/Fangames)
In my honest opinion, I think :ultlucas: was the #1 on the least wanted Character when brought into Smash.
And yet now I get matched with a Lucas main 80% of the time I play online. What a time to be alive, as someone that hates Lucas

What a success story.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
At least Dark Pit is an actual specific character with a real personality.

Generic Mario enemy and Mario's other outfit are definitely the worst.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

3. He is very obscure
He's well received enough since it would be a shame if Earthbound/Mother was stuck with only 1 fighter like Yoshi.

D

Deleted member

He's well received enough since it would be a shame if Earthbound/Mother was stuck with only 1 fighter like Yoshi.
Yeah but... why not Porky Minch? Why not Master Belch? Why not Paula or Poo? Why was it someone no one from the West never Heard of? It could've even been Ninten. Lucas was still an obscure choice since he wasn't even known by most (Including Japanese gamers (I think, idk maybe they were happy about Lucas)), the Least wanted Character in Smash. Not saying he is the least wanted to return in a next Smash Game, but the least wanted Newcomer/Character.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Yeah but... why not Porky Minch? Why not Master Belch? Why not Paula or Poo? Why was it someone no one from the West never Heard of? It could've even been Ninten. Lucas was still an obscure choice since he wasn't even known by most (Including Japanese gamers (I think, idk maybe they were happy about Lucas)), the Least wanted Character in Smash. Not saying he is the least wanted to return in a next Smash Game, but the least wanted Newcomer/Character.
Good questions. All of those fighters (especially Porky) would be cool.
That being said, there were only six newcomers available, and I don't think the series demands another newcomer in such a limited selection (but it' a ****ing crime that Kirby didn't even get a single echo fighter).

D

Deleted member

Good questions. All of those fighters (especially Porky) would be cool.
That being said, there were only six newcomers available, and I don't think the series demands another newcomer in such a limited selection (but it' a ****ing crime that Kirby didn't even get a single echo fighter).
As much as I like Kirby... Who could be his echo? The only thing I'm thinking of is Prince Fluff but even then he doesn't have a copy. Unless you're talking about the Kirby series, then yeah I'm kinda sad we don't have Galactic Knight

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
As much as I like Kirby... Who could be his echo? The only thing I'm thinking of is Prince Fluff but even then he doesn't have a copy. Unless you're talking about the Kirby series, then yeah I'm kinda sad we don't have Galactic Knight
Kirby as a series.
Personally I think they should have had a full fighter. As an echo. Shadow Kirby, Masked Dedede, Galacta Knight or Dark MK would have been hype.

D

Deleted member

Kirby as a series.
Personally I think they should have had a full fighter. As an echo. Shadow Kirby, Masked Dedede, Galacta Knight or Dark MK would have been hype.
yeah, atleast Kirby has a dark skin, Masked Dedede is in Dedede's ult, and Meta Knight has a Galacta Knight and Dark MK skin.

Oddball

Smash Lord
The thing is with G&W is that he never existed before Smash
There was not a "Mr. Game-and-Watch" before Smash but saying the character didn't exist isn't exactly true either.

It's like how there were villagers in Animal Crossing but there wasn't a Villager, or how a lot of games had Miis but none of them had Miis the same way Smash did. It's just taking something more generic and defining it into more of a single character.

VexTheHex

Smash Ace
This thread suffers from some people taking the question in different forms.

I personally figured it was which characters were the least expect and demanded by the fandom leading up to their inclusion. Ice Climbers, G+W, and Roy easily take the cake as nobody expected retro picks or Japanese advertisement at the time. After Melee, people began digging through the Nintendo basket of wacky characters, so everyone got brought up here and there after that.

Some are taking it as which character makes people the saltiest. I feel that's more heated and up to personal opinion. Another major factor into that is the timing. Wolf for example was met with deep hatred for being Brawl's last and being a clone. He's now a super beloved character people were begging to see return. Corrin is another in that boat but never really warmed up to the hardcore fans and still is labeled as a spot theif. Most people meanwhile don't really care about Dr. Mario, ROB, G+W, Duck Hunt, or Wii Fit Trainer. They don't really have large fan bases going at all. Then you have some picks like Incineroar that came with crushing the dumb Grinch leak and really firing up the fans on here. Elsewhere there was quite a bit of praise for the fire cat, but the more hardcore fans of the Grinch Leak were obviously upset and salt was spewing. And Piranha Plant who nobody really wanted or rooted for and has very mixed reactions of pure hatred to pure love. Bayonetta and Joker also are pretty controversial as both are far from icons while also being 3rd parties. I think Corrin and ROB probably can share the cake as Corrin still has vivid hate groups while ROB is one that probably has the smallest fan base even after 3 games.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Piranha Plant is a love-hate object for me.

I hate him because people asked for Waluigi, and Nintendo decided to troll people by adding Piranha Plant instead to the game, a Nintendo character noone asked for.

At the same time, hes awesome. I cant wait to try him out. Hes more interesting than the medieval sword characters, there are like 14 now, atleast i can play something that doesnt wear a sword or is from the FE universe, but i hope Nintendo will add Waluigi atleast as an echo character one day, like sending us to a mission to restore the trophy to a playable character.

Corrin in the other hand, ugghhhhhhhh.. Cant Sakurai give Reggie some roster spots he can choose?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
There was not a "Mr. Game-and-Watch" before Smash but saying the character didn't exist isn't exactly true either.

It's like how there were villagers in Animal Crossing but there wasn't a Villager, or how a lot of games had Miis but none of them had Miis the same way Smash did. It's just taking something more generic and defining it into more of a single character.
Yes, but MG&W was never before seen at all. I doubt anyone before Melee said "I want one of the game and watch figures to be in Smash." I highly doubt anyone said "I want a made up fighter who conglomerates some of the moves from the game and watches." That's my point.

LightningHelix

Smash Cadet
Are you trying to follow me around arguing with all my posts?
I never wanted any of them, We got G&W, he never existed before, so clearly i didn't want him (and nobody else did either.) The fact that I hate everything about him can be included within the fact "that I never wanted any of this."
Piranha Plant I definetly didn't want, he's generic in my opinion and the slot would've been better on literally anything else.

God, its like nobody can have an opinion on a thread about people's opinions. Now bugger off.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I think Corrin has to take this mostly because the timing for their reveal doomed to them to undesirability. We'd already had Roy return through DLC, so most people weren't exactly expecting another Fire Emblem character in the limited DLC period. Fates hadn't released in the West, so few people had the desire to even look towards the game for a character, the game was already somewhat controversial in execution due to how it was split up into basically three releases.

But what damned Corrin more than anything was the fact he was coming at the end of ballot speculation and mashed between Cloud and Bayonetta. Two characters who were huge names. People were already expecting a King K Rool or anyone of the other potential ballot choices. Bayonetta at least had some substantial support behind her, but Corrin was a nobody when the fans were expecting their favorites to make it in. Corrin was basically the least wanted idea of a character at the time, a Fire Emblem advertisement character.

Which is a shame, cause Corrin actually does some just really cool things and is visually pleasing with the dragon attacks, but they will always be under that shadow.

Technically Roy may be more considering the fact that no one knew he existed, and Lucas cause Earthbound had one ****ing game in the States that didn't even release in Europe, so people would have generally been content with Ness only. But people weren't downright opposed to a character inclusion like they were with Corrin.

Piranha Plant is a close second despite winning over a lot of people.

Eisal

Smash Apprentice
Any Echo Figther or clone for me, really. I thought they have always been rather useless additions. I personally prefer characters with unique move-sets rather than character with similar move-sets with just a quirk added (like Marth's tipper and Lucina's balanced blade, even though I prefer Lucina over Marth and enjoy playing her.)

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I think Corrin has to take this mostly because the timing for their reveal doomed to them to undesirability. We'd already had Roy return through DLC, so most people weren't exactly expecting another Fire Emblem character in the limited DLC period. Fates hadn't released in the West, so few people had the desire to even look towards the game for a character, the game was already somewhat controversial in execution due to how it was split up into basically three releases.

But what damned Corrin more than anything was the fact he was coming at the end of ballot speculation and mashed between Cloud and Bayonetta. Two characters who were huge names. People were already expecting a King K Rool or anyone of the other potential ballot choices. Bayonetta at least had some substantial support behind her, but Corrin was a nobody when the fans were expecting their favorites to make it in. Corrin was basically the least wanted idea of a character at the time, a Fire Emblem advertisement character.

Which is a shame, cause Corrin actually does some just really cool things and is visually pleasing with the dragon attacks, but they will always be under that shadow.

Technically Roy may be more considering the fact that no one knew he existed, and Lucas cause Earthbound had one ****ing game in the States that didn't even release in Europe, so people would have generally been content with Ness only. But people weren't downright opposed to a character inclusion like they were with Corrin.

Piranha Plant is a close second despite winning over a lot of people.
Characters revealed at the very end of a speculation cycle will always be among the more controversial ones (if not the most controversial), simply because, for better or worse, they'll be perceived as being directly responsible for crushing the hopes and dreams of the fanbases of the characters who didn't make it into the game. We’ve already seen the vitriol directed at Incineroar largely because he's not Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Lycanroc, Dixie Kong, Shadow, et cetera, but guess what — if one of those characters had been included and revealed in Incineroar's place, they would have gotten that same flak from Incineroar’s fans in addition to the fans of the non-included/AT'd characters (and just to make my point clearer, I'll just go ahead and call in @GoldenYuiitusin and Delzethin Delzethin to hear their takes on the subject). Likewise, I'm sure a lot of anti-Pirahna Plant sentiment really just boils down to him not being Geno, and whichever character gets to be Challenger Pack 5 will be hated by fans of the characters not in the Fighter Pass. In short: being the final character sucks.

Last edited:

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Ive seen many people still have hope for Waluigi and hope he will be added as a last DLC. Some youtubers even think that is the case.

My main problem with Piranha Plant is that he takes another Mario spot in the roster. I really just wanted Waluigi as the last plumber on the roster and would prefer that Nintendo focused on other universes after it. Except Fire Emblem, there are TOO MANY CHARACTERS from that game.

I am thinking about characters like Captain Falcon, Little Mac, Sonic, Ness, Kirby and Ice Climbers.

Ironically, Robin and Corrin seems to be more hated around my friends than even Dark Pit, thats something.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Franchise spots are only a thing for Pokemon.
Fire Emblem, it had 1 new fighter in every game since Melee.
Melee: Marth, Roy
Brawl: Ike
SM4SH: Lucina, Robin, Corrin
Smash Ultimate: Chrom

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Pokémon Trainer and Game and Watch.

The only characters to never have support ( I believe) before they were confirmed.

People here are saying characters that got salt but they are forgetting that there were still lots of people who wanted those characters. Even Corin had a dedicated support thread before his confirmation.

PT and GW though win because they came from literally no where.

newsuperhackboys

Smash Cadet
For me it's Piranha Plant. No one every expected a generic enemy who's known for only being inside a pipe. I was expecting Goomba and/or Koopa if generic enemies would be playable (I mean, R.O.B in Brawl is both an enemy and a playable character) but this guy?

D

Deleted member

Pokémon Trainer and Game and Watch.

The only characters to never have support ( I believe) before they were confirmed.

People here are saying characters that got salt but they are forgetting that there were still lots of people who wanted those characters. Even Corin had a dedicated support thread before his confirmation.

PT and GW though win because they came from literally no where.
Can you tell me ONE person who wanted Lucas before he got in, or a site/thread asking for him or anything before he got into Smash Bros?

Also it's GAW (Game and Watch), not GW (Game Watch

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Can you tell me ONE person who wanted Lucas before he got in, or a site/thread asking for him or anything before he got into Smash Bros?
I lurked on IGN and Nsider.

Lucas and Claus were both very popular requests.

Also it's GAW (Game and Watch), not GW (Game Watch
No...

When making an acronym, you ignore small words like prepositions.

It's why the FBI isn't the FBOI.

Besides, if you really wanted to include the "and" why not just use "&" ?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
People sleep on Dark Pit since he was a Pit clone. I'm sure if he was a unique fighter but still Dark Pit regardless no one would have serious problems with him.

D

Deleted member

Characters revealed at the very end of a speculation cycle will always be among the more controversial ones (if not the most controversial), simply because, for better or worse, they'll be perceived as being directly responsible for crushing the hopes and dreams of the fanbases of the characters who didn't make it into the game. We’ve already seen the vitriol directed at Incineroar largely because he's not Isaac, Geno, Banjo, Lycanroc, Dixie Kong, Shadow, et cetera, but guess what — if one of those characters had been included and revealed in Incineroar's place, they would have gotten that same flak from Incineroar’s fans in addition to the fans of the non-included/AT'd characters (and just to make my point clearer, I'll just go ahead and call in @GoldenYuiitusin and Delzethin Delzethin to hear their takes on the subject). Likewise, I'm sure a lot of anti-Pirahna Plant sentiment really just boils down to him not being Geno, and whichever character gets to be Challenger Pack 5 will be hated by fans of the characters not in the Fighter Pass. In short: being the final character sucks.
I wouldn't have given any character flak for not being Incineroar unless it were someone like Decidueye or Lycanroc.

Any unrelated character isn't worth being upset about in that scenario since that would mean the entire 7th Gen lineup got snubbed.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
Nobody wanted Piranha Plant.... until they revealed him as a playable character.
I still think Piranha Plant sets a bad precedent. It's not a unique character. It's like a Toad or a Bokoblin or a Waddle Dee. A Minion.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Roy since no one knew he existed at the point of his inclusion or Mr. Game and Watch since he's technically an OC character for Smash. Both are beloved now.

I think Corrin and R.O.B. had the biggest backlashes overall which unfortunately comes with the territory of being one of the last reveals in the game.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Roy since no one knew he existed at the point of his inclusion or Mr. Game and Watch since he's technically an OC character for Smash. Both are beloved now.

I think Corrin and R.O.B. had the biggest backlashes overall which unfortunately comes with the territory of being one of the last reveals in the game.
See also what I said about how being the last character makes you the dream crusher, yada yada... same story as Incineroar, really. Though I find it funny that Corrin gets the hate usually associated with being the last character when Bayonetta was actually the last one for Smash 4's DLC. I think in Corrin's case, he got it especially bad due to perceived Fire Emblem overrepresentation, while Bayonetta got more of a free pass due to being from a new franchise. Come to think of it, the "overrepresentation" angle also probably explains some of Incineroar's hatedom.

Also, was R.O.B.'s backlash really that bad? He got a few remarks about "not actually being a character", but I thought most people were too wowed by the Subspace Emissary twist he was the core of, as well as the "awesome robot flying and shooting lasers" angle, to be mad about R.O.B. I recall Toon Link and Wolf (the actual last characters for Brawl) getting worse vitriol for being semi-clones and snubbing more "deserving" reps from their series such as Midna, Tingle, Vaati, and Krystal... though maybe I'm projecting a bit, and in any case, people didn't go as ballistic on them as they did on Corrin or Incineroar.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
See also what I said about how being the last character makes you the dream crusher, yada yada... same story as Incineroar, really. Though I find it funny that Corrin gets the hate usually associated with being the last character when Bayonetta was actually the last one for Smash 4's DLC. I think in Corrin's case, he got it especially bad due to perceived Fire Emblem overrepresentation, while Bayonetta got more of a free pass due to being from a new franchise. Come to think of it, the "overrepresentation" angle also probably explains some of Incineroar's hatedom.

Also, was R.O.B.'s backlash really that bad? He got a few remarks about "not actually being a character", but I thought most people were too wowed by the Subspace Emissary twist he was the core of, as well as the "awesome robot flying and shooting lasers" angle, to be mad about R.O.B. I recall Toon Link and Wolf (the actual last characters for Brawl) getting worse vitriol for being semi-clones and snubbing more "deserving" reps from their series such as Midna, Tingle, Vaati, and Krystal... though maybe I'm projecting a bit, and in any case, people didn't go as ballistic on them as they did on Corrin or Incineroar.
R.O.B. is seeing a resurgence in the amount of backlash he gets since he wasn't important in anything like he was in SSE, and he's just like everyone else in WoL, so he doesn't have any more meaning in Smash than any other fighter. Personally I'm fine with him since after all he's the reason the famicon sold well in the first place (pardon me referring to R.O.B. as "he," he reminds me of Wall-E, who was more or less given a gender in his film). But I wouldn't add any more made up/almost nonexistent fighters anymore.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
??? The conversation was literally about Mr Game and Watch being an OC, you seem to think it has something to do with characters having movesets unique to smash which makes zero sense in the context of what was being said, which is that G&W even by name did not exist prior to his inclusion in Melee.

You either completely missed what the discussion was about, are trolling, or are grasping at straws as a coping mechanism to protect yourself from being wrong in a meaningless argument. Cringe, either way. Reread the thread and hopefully you can piece together what's going on, but I don't have anything else to add so if you don't get it from that then you're just gonna have to stay confused. Good luck.
Whatever helps you sleep at night. You assert something and aren't willing to expand the definition. Perhaps you don't like the idea that Mr. G&W isn't a Smash exclusive. I know what you're saying, but you seem to have a problem accepting a broader definition.

Top Bottom