• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who was the least wanted character in Smash history?

Who was the least wanted character added?

• Total voters

QuintonShark8714

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Monroeshark8713
There's 2 types of characters, most wanted ones (King K. Rool, Ridley, etc.) and the least wanted ones (Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Corrin, etc.)

Arthur97

Smash Master
Well, Piranha Plant was technically the least wanted probably. Least wanted does not necessarily equal least liked.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Hmm, R.O.B. and Duck Hunt do put the first part of my previous statement in question. Especially R.O.B. as most people probably didn't consider a peripheral much if at all.

noahk777

Smash Journeyman
NNID
noahgk
Its probably actually Snake, just because nobody would have considered him before he was added.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Duck Hunt was the most pleasant surprise for me. I didn't even consider the Duck Hunt duo before hand, but after seeing how they play, seeing them get in, and their long return, it was a delight surprise non the less.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I voted Bayonetta, Corrin, Dr. Mario, and Pichu. These are more of my personal distaste for these characters. I find Dr. Mario and Pichu to be especially unnecessary. As for this Joker character . . .

#notmyjoker

Storm0943

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
2464 5707 1993
I mean, who asked for Wii Fit Trainer? Even Dr.Mario. Piranha Plant seems fun though, even though it probably is the least wanted charcter

Khao

Smash Lord
Considering Mr. Game & Watch is technically a Smash-original concept, I'm pretty sure there was literally not a single person on earth who wanted him before they even knew he existed. Every other character, even like, Corrin, or Piranha Plant, I think it's safe to assume there was at least one person somewhere in the world who wanted them, haha.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Considering Mr. Game & Watch is technically a Smash-original concept, I'm pretty sure there was literally not a single person on earth who wanted him before they even knew he existed. Every other character, even like, Corrin, or Piranha Plant, I think it's safe to assume there was at least one person somewhere in the world who wanted them, haha.
Mr. Game & Watch is basically the Game & Watch represented as a fighter. He isn't a original Smash character by any means.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
He isn't a original Smash character by any means.
Except by means of him literally being a composite character that was created for Smash, making him an original Smash character by definition

Zubyyyy

Yung Zuby the Falco God
This thread is quickly gonna turn from 'Least Wanted (Least Likely)' to 'Least Wanted (IHATETHISCHARACTERWHYARETHEYINTHEGAME)'

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Except by means of him literally being a composite character that was created for Smash, making him an original Smash character by definition
Mr. G&W's moveset is based on pre-existing concepts from his games. Unless you're fine with treating (just about) every character as a Smash original, since (just about) every character performs abilities not originally found in their own series. Sure, you could point to most special attacks, but that's about it.

Last edited:

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Mr. G&W's moveset is based on pre-existing concepts from his games. Unless you're fine with treating (just about) every character as a Smash original, since (just about) every character performs abilities not originally found in their own series. Sure, you could point to most special attacks, but that's about it.
His moveset is based on pre-existing concepts from multiple different games with characters wholly unrelated to one another. Your analogy falls flat.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Piranha Plant and ROB i guess.

Thing is, Piranha Plant is actually pretty cool compared to ROB tho it is quite sad that Sakurai rather want Piranha Plant over Waluigi. I seriously hate ROBs design. Its so bland. Like most SNES and NES accessories.

I mean im not hating on ROB, i dislike Corrin more and i think that there are way too many FE characters in the game now, but ROB? I mean atleast Japanese people asked for anime sword fighters, but did anyone really ask for ROB?

Last edited:

WerdoPerson

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4786-2190-0811
I agree. ROB’s design is quite boring, especially with the gray, but the one with the red arms was kinda nice.

Piranha Plant and ROB i guess.

Thing is, Piranha Plant is actually pretty cool compared to ROB. I seriously hate ROBs design. Its so bland. Like most SNES and NES accessories.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
ROBs palette swaps are indeed much better than the bland gray one, but i havent actually met one on-line yet.

And Roy is actually like the only anime sword fighter i actually like in this game. His fiery sword, his hair is brown compared to the generic blue hair color most anime sword fighters seem to have, and his design looks like some hero from an old anime videotape.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Melee wasn’t the first smash, they said nobody wanted a character that didn’t exist before Melee. So I was making a joke.
I mean they were also me.

Roy’s first video game appearance is melee, before his Fire Emblem game came out.

WerdoPerson

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4786-2190-0811
ROBs palette swaps are indeed much better than the bland gray one, but i havent actually met one on-line yet.

And Roy is actually like the only anime sword fighter i actually like in this game. His fiery sword, his hair is brown compared to the generic blue hair color most anime sword fighters seem to have, and his design looks like some hero from an old anime videotape.
I agree with you. I quite like Roy. He’s the most unique of the fire emblem characters (besides Corrin and Robin) in the game. He’s the only one without blue hair, furry swords always cool, and he’s just a lot of fun to play.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
His moveset is based on pre-existing concepts from multiple different games with characters wholly unrelated to one another. Your analogy falls flat.
That's not the point. The point is a character like Captain Falcon never had the moves he displayed in SSB. Same with Zero Suit Samus. Even Ganondorf hardly represents his most basic abilities fans have seen. This means most (if not all) characters are Smash originals.

Madwario

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i guess i like him because of all the English dubbed anime tapes i used to watch as a kid. The first time i played Melee, i had no clue who this guy was but i played him just because of his design. Like Captain Falcon. I didnt even know where he was from and just mained him because of his moves and design.

WerdoPerson

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4786-2190-0811
That's not the point. The point is a character like Captain Falcon never had the moves he displayed in SSB. Same with Zero Suit Samus. Even Ganondorf hardly represents his most basic abilities fans have seen. This means most (if not all) characters are Smash originals.
I agree, aside from the Pokemon (in which some moves abilities are completely changed) most of the fighters moveswts came from this game.

WerdoPerson

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-4786-2190-0811
Yeah i guess i like him because of all the English dubbed anime tapes i used to watch as a kid. The first time i played Melee, i had no clue who this guy was but i played him just because of his design. Like Captain Falcon. I didnt even know where he was from and just mained him because of his moves and design.
That’s what I did too. My first game was Brawl cause ya know, I was uncultured, but I played all the cool looking characters without knowing who they were.

Khao

Smash Lord
Mr. Game & Watch is basically the Game & Watch represented as a fighter. He isn't a original Smash character by any means.
Right, he's not truly "original", as all Game & Watch games he takes from were already a thing. But the idea of Mr. Game & Watch, being specifically a character composed of multiple references to multiple games that feature different characters with different specialties, didn't really exist. Soooo maybe someone somewhere wanted a character from the Game & Watch games. But I don't think it's very likely that someone specifically wanted a compilation of Game & Watch games given an identity in the form of a new character named "Mr. Game & Watch", because holy **** that person would be a an amazing visionary.

But it's not the same. You're talking about "his games", but there's really no Game & Watch game actually featuring Mr. Game & Watch; the characters in those games are in fact, all different. Game & Watch doesn't take content from all his appearances, he takes content from a wide set of different characters accross different games.

And that's where the Mario comparison kind of falls apart.

Mario basically takes elements from all his appearances, but he's still Mario, he does Mario things, and he references different incarnations of Mario, who are all still Mario. To make him an equivalent to Mr. Game & Watch, he'd have to be someone like "Mr. Nintendo Entertainment System," and have a bunch of animations referencing a whole bunch of different NES games and characters, because that's what Mr. Game & Watch does. The only real difference between a theoretical Mr. NES to Mr. G&W, is that NES characters are a lot more recognizable than G&W characters, so the concept would be way harder to pull off while giving the character a generic, unified, non-specific design.

PF9

Smash Lord
I would say Wolf to me was my least-wanted character. As I have said before, Krystal would have made a better addition in Brawl due to being more unique. The fact that she's an AT in Ultimate has likely set her chances to be playable back another 10 years (exactly how long I've already been waiting for her).

D

Deleted member

Plant, is that even a ****ing question? He wasn't a bad addition at all but did anyone look at Plant and go "wow that **** needs to be in smash now asap" whereas I'm sure SOMEBODY out there said "man Dark pit would be a sick Pit clone"

Top Bottom