• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who thinks DK is slow?

2Sko

Smash Cadet
Before I mained DK, I thought he was soem slow and strong charcter that sucks, like Bowser... But now that I think about it, he really isn't, but I have some doubts, what do you guys think? Is he slow, are his moves laggy?
Speaking of which can I get a clear explanation of what laggy is..
Thanks for the help..

daisho

Smash Lord
DK isn't slow in any sense of the word.

There are two types of lag.

Start up lag- The amount of time a character has to wait from when the player hits the button until the character's hitbox comes out.

Ending lag- The amount of time a character has to wait from when the hitbox from his previous attack goes away until he can start doing other stuff.

For instance- F smash has a decent amount of Startup Lag.
D smash on the other had has almost no startup lag but alot of ending lag.

mofo_

Smash Ace
basically what daisho said is right ( i always thought DK was slow cuz i always used fair )

and DK aint slow, he runs at the same speed as Toon Link

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
Daisho summed it up well. Some of Donkey Kong's attacks do have a fair amount of lag, but then again most characters have certain attacks like that. Most of his aerials aren't that laggy, and his tilts aren't laggy at all. It's like with DDD. At first, he looks like a slow character because of his laggy smashes, but when you learn him better, you realise that he's not actually slow, because some of his best moves like his tilts and Bair aren't laggy at all.

BTW, sorry to any DK regulars here annoyed at me for bringing up King Dedede. ;)

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
DK isn't slow, all his movement is better than Mario. DK is pretty good because of his Superman power, The Universe range and mountain weight but still pretty good speed. He is like a superior Bowser.

2Sko

Smash Cadet
Lol its okay, D3 does get me mad, but don't worry, thanks for everyone's answers

SmashBrosForce

Smash Ace
DK isn't slow in any sense of the word.

There are two types of lag.

Start up lag- The amount of time a character has to wait from when the player hits the button until the character's hitbox comes out.

Ending lag- The amount of time a character has to wait from when the hitbox from his previous attack goes away until he can start doing other stuff.

For instance- F smash has a decent amount of Startup Lag.
D smash on the other had has almost no startup lag but alot of ending lag.
daisho is pretty right.
I think DK isn't too slow.

For example: His Aerials attacks are so good and not too Laggy, specially B-air.
DK's Tilts: Good Range, Less Lag.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
Donkey Kong is not slow moving at all. He's one of the more balanced characters between power and speed. Power and speed are both in his smashes. His running speed is faster than other heavy weights...and his fall is just as light as others.
One important thing: Slow characters are better than you think in Brawl only...considering the gameplay is slower than Melee anyways.
Example: Captain Falcon is much faster than Bowser, but Bowser is still the better character because of his grab game and disjointed hitboxes.
Don't underestimate slow/power characters my friend.

Tujex

Smash Ace
Even in melee, DK wasn't considered slow. DK was considered fast in melee, though only when used by a tech-pro.

In Brawl, DK is what I would consider fast in terms of how slow this game is. Not "fast" in the sense of the stupid characters (I use the term stupid lightly. I mean stupid as in "stupid speed" [subtitled insane]) like Sonic (running speed) and MK (does he even have lag?). But fast, in the sense that for a large character, he can easily keep pace with a majority of the games roster.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
DK is one of the most mobile characters in the game. His air speed is top of A tier(only 6 chars are faster in the air, I think only one of those 6 is a high tier) and his dash speed is also high tier, pretty sure only 3 high tiers outrun him. His dashing speed is nearly indistinguishable from Marth's, that's something.

Also, with his spacing game he never really needs lightning fast attacks.

Bowser isn't slow either. He runs as fast as Mario, and his air speed is also A tier(just a little below DK's). His attacks come out more quickly than DK's, they just have a lot of lag afterwards.

A~Kid/ToonethLinkage

Wants His Own Custom Title
lol He isn't slow. He has the exact same speed as Toon Link and they say that the Toon is fast. Calling DK slow is the same as calling Toon Link slow. It's just that some of his moves are laggy. Toon's moves are really quick.

daisho

Smash Lord
Why would you bring this up... you completely said what others said in different words... and it was going away... whatever...

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
saying "he's not that slow" is wrong too though..he's one of the fastest in the game

Bowser is fast too

MTHunter

Smash Rookie
DK is not slow in any way. Some of his moves are slow, but he's meant to be an agile powerhouse. The fast and strong character of the game with no fancy moves, no projectiles. The only downside to DK is his large hitbox. Gimps the **** outta him.

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
dk is sooooo slow. every time i try to fair a MK he fairs me first. :<

first i use marth and short hop double fair all over the place then i use dk and get faired first I MEAN WTFFFFF!!>?!!?

2Sko

Smash Cadet
dk is sooooo slow. every time i try to fair a MK he fairs me first. :<

first i use marth and short hop double fair all over the place then i use dk and get faired first I MEAN WTFFFFF!!>?!!?
Cause fair is really for meteor smsh, like bair should be used in the air more... it's the moves you use

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
I used to assume DK was slow, mainly because of the normal size:speed ratio of fighting games.

I was wrong.

However...he's not fast either despite his movement speed. Amongst the fast characters you'll find Pika, Mario, MK, Marth or Sheik...ones that have overall good movement speed and low startup/ending lag on the majority of their attacks, even when not autocancelled or anything.

Characters like Ike, Bowser, and Snake have a number of speedy attacks even by their standards. That doesn't keep them from being slow though, imo. DK is a few steps above them, but still not fast necessarily.

Darknid

Smash Journeyman
If you think DK needs fast attacks you've probably never seen one play.

Panix

Smash Ace
Slow is Ganon
Slow is Snake
DK is fast.
Dtilt, Ftilt, Utilt, bair, Uair all have less then 10 start up frames. uair might have slightly more.

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
By your logic snake is one of the fastest in the game. DK's uair has 8 I think.

edit: it's 6 actually.

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
every character has fast moves, but that doesn't make them not slow. Slow is how they are overall compared to the rest of the cast- not just in attack frame speed, but ending lag, running, jumping, etc.
(jumping speed and aerial velocity, being the 2 most important factors in speed, probably)

so yes, bowser does have some fast attacks, but he is still a slow character. DK has alot of slow attacks- f.smash, upsmash, f.air, n.air (for n.air speed anyway), and all 4 of his B attacks have considerable startup w/ the exception of UpB in th air. being a big target slows him down automatically in dealing with dodging attacks/projectiles because it requires him exaggerate all his maneuvers literally slowing him down on the approach.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
He's overall decently fast, but has some lag on a few moves I guess.

2Sko

Smash Cadet
What do you think, mr. thread creator?
Well after reading the boards, my conclusion is that DK is fast, because I used his laggy moves, now I use like bair and tilts, and use his other moves when necessary... This thread can be closed now...

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Having slow moves isn't necessarily a BAD thing, especially in DK's case. Slower attacks such as Ike's Usmash are best at baiting spotdodges and airdodges AND they're often some of the most powerful punishers. They're also excellent mixups when putting on pressure; sort of like charging smashes to throw off your opponent.

DK has a good mix of GOOD fast and slow attacks, which keeps this kind of thing from holding him back. I simply disagree that he should be categorized as a "fast" character in relation to the rest of the roster.

Top Bottom