• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who needs help with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc.

Adi

Smash Lord
...i read up on doraki's guide to DI and all... but how do i practice this when theres only me, and myself only?
There's not really a way, you can practice teching by yourself. In target test just go to the fire blocks and illusion/firefox into them and try to tech off them

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
There's not really a way, you can practice teching by yourself. In target test just go to the fire blocks and illusion/firefox into them and try to tech off them
im sorry i mustve stated it wrong. i wanted to practice surviving from hits while having medium to high damage, knowing that falco's recovery is like cr@p. but theres nobody to practice with but myself, (and another empty controller)

i gave up on teching lol.

dawn001

Smash Ace
no you are wrong you can tech when you are on your own..this is what you do go to training mode on FD then get the item motion-sensor bomb and put it on the edge of the stage then you go under and press up B and from there you try to tech it!!

anotherdeadcow

Smash Apprentice
...i read up on doraki's guide to DI and all... but how do i practice this when theres only me, and myself only?
it might be possible to work on di and teching, but you can only learn to use them reflexively through their use in battle. try this though: set a 1v1 with a computer lv9 (bowser works well) and choose hyrule as the stage. head the the bottom left of the stage (where most paths are blocked by walls and a ceiling). when bowser hits you, tech it. for added practice, stand where you will likely be sent through one of the few open spots, and DI so you do hit a wall, and then tech that. other than that, target test and motion sensing mines of FD in practice, as the others said.

Adi

Smash Lord
no you are wrong you can tech when you are on your own..this is what you do go to training mode on FD then get the item motion-sensor bomb and put it on the edge of the stage then you go under and press up B and from there you try to tech it!!
I never said there wasn't a way to practice teching... I just said that you can't particularly practice DIing.

hey shiz. do you know any combos i can practice on lv cpu's
First off if you play with any cpu's, practice on level 3's because they DI the best. Secondly, a lot of the combos you can get off and computers are really not feasible in actual matches. If you're just beginning to learn shffling and whatnot than I suppose it is useful to practice on CPU's but once you're at a certain point it becomes irrelvent.

does anybody have any videos posted on youtube?...i wana watch some 2 compare 2 my pwn and personal falco
Look at my video archive, it's one of the stickes here.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
To Shiz/ anyone else that can help: Of these characters - Shiek, fox, jigglypuff, and mario - who do you recommend me using as my secondary? Note: I have about the same amount of experience with each character.

Thanks in advance =)

Adi

Smash Lord
What matchups are bad for you. Secondaries generally serve the purpose of covering up bad matches so it's important to know that to decide a secondary.

jacobrhcp

Smash Apprentice
I have no clue, in fact I'm struggling to choose a secondary too: marth, peach or sheik... which one to pick?

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
I don't intentionally do combos, because, I think ahead most of the time and play based on my pure instinct. lol. It gets me pretty far though, because I rarely ever lose.

Adi

Smash Lord
I don't intentionally do combos, because, I think ahead most of the time and play based on my pure instinct. lol. It gets me pretty far though, because I rarely ever lose.
And I assume your play experience just comes from your friends? Once you get to competitive play you do need to know what you're doing..

thumbswayup

Smash Master
Fox has the advantage vs. Sheik and Falco, and is even with Marth.
are you serious? even with marth? that might be one of the most ignorant statements i've read regarding this game. not only is marth the best character in the game (or second to sheik), but he can 0-death fox with relative ease especially at FD. so you clearly don't know what your talking about.

fox may counter sheik, but she can do unbelievably well against him. and no way does fox have the advantage vs. falco. fox is one of the easiest characters to combo with falco, 0-60 percent in about 3 seconds flat.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
are you serious? even with marth? that might be one of the most ignorant statements i've read regarding this game. not only is marth the best character in the game (or second to sheik), but he can 0-death fox with relative ease especially at FD. so you clearly don't know what your talking about.

fox may counter sheik, but she can do unbelievably well against him. and no way does fox have the advantage vs. falco. fox is one of the easiest characters to combo with falco, 0-60 percent in about 3 seconds flat.
Marth has chainthrow and gimp edgeguards. Fox can laser, combo extremely well out of uthrow, kill vertically relatively quickly, edgegaurd fairly well and, of course, he has the shine. Of course it's even.

Fox can chainthrow falco, and mix in usmashes, utilts and nairs however he pleases. This comboing, as well as thunders combo which leads into chainthrow, is just as effective as falco's comboing, except that Fox can continue in the same pattern until death, wheras Falco has to change his combos at about 60%.

Also, Fox can gimp falco incredibly easily, as well as getting vertical kills. Falco's only major killing options are dair and some strong move like fsmash.

Fox vs. Marth = Even

Fox vs. Sheik = Slightly in Fox' favor

Fox vs. Falco = Slightly in Fox' favor

hova

Smash Champion
when people play their characters right

marth vs fox is even

sheik vs fox is even

falco beats fox but not badly

you should also remember that every player is different and each will differ in every match up. m2k used to **** marth and peach as fox, but could never beat PC's falco or Chu. even playing as marth M2k usually loses to chu

at one MLG, kdj beat ken's marth with sheik and then lost to Azen's sheik next round

there really is no definitive who beats who among characters because each player uses their character differently and arguing is stupid. just focus on your own strengths and find what works for you

i suggest everyone goes to more tournies before starting to believe they know what they are talking about. that and eat more fruit loops, fruit loops are delicious

Adi

Smash Lord
Hova wins.

Question: What exactly is the application of shooting a Short Hop Laser higher then normal. I've seen Forward do it a couple times against Captain Falcon but I can't really think of why. Was it a technical screwup?

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
when people play their characters right

marth vs fox is even

sheik vs fox is even

falco beats fox but not badly

you should also remember that every player is different and each will differ in every match up. m2k used to **** marth and peach as fox, but could never beat PC's falco or Chu. even playing as marth M2k usually loses to chu

at one MLG, kdj beat ken's marth with sheik and then lost to Azen's sheik next round

there really is no definitive who beats who among characters because each player uses their character differently and arguing is stupid. just focus on your own strengths and find what works for you

i suggest everyone goes to more tournies before starting to believe they know what they are talking about. that and eat more fruit loops, fruit loops are delicious

There's a thing called character matchups, it describes who has what advantages/disadvantages in each matchup, and draws a conclusion based on that.

When those advantages and disadvantages are exploited correctly by both players, and both players are equal in skill, the one that has the advantage in the matchup has a higher chance of winning.

Junpappy

Smash Lord

LOL check the *UPDATED* tier list dude. I don't think there's a **** person on smashboards other than you that thinks Sheik is still the best character in the game.

Plus, have you ever played against a pro Fox as Falco? Did you know that Fox can pretty much follow Falco whilst comboing him with relative ease?

Clearly YOU don't know what you're talking about.

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LOL check the *UPDATED* tier list dude. I don't think there's a **** person on smashboards other than you that thinks Sheik is still the best character in the game.

Plus, have you ever played against a pro Fox as Falco? Did you know that Fox can pretty much follow Falco whilst comboing him with relative ease?

Clearly YOU don't know what you're talking about.
yeah, you're right, there isnt a single person on smashboards other than me and Mew2King who thinks Sheik might be the best character in the game (i believe its marth if you had read correctly). so i guess everyone reading your post would CLEARLY follow you over Mew2king because YOU can 4 stock everyone else lol. seriously stfu and dont post things you know nothing about.

edit: oh i just checked. Silent Wolf also thinks Sheik is the best character in the game, moron.

Adi

Smash Lord
That wasn't even his main point. He probably thought when you were talking in terms of "best character" you would use the tier list as a reference point, not your own personal opinion. His main point lied in his argument over the Fox and Falco matchup, which you failed to argue against and merely flame in a way detrimental to any intelligent discussion. This isn't the tier list discussion thread.

Anyways I'll restate my question because it's getting drowned out in this tier list nonsense..

Question: What exactly is the application of shooting a Short Hop Laser higher then normal. I've seen Forward do it a couple times against Captain Falcon but I can't really think of why. Was it a technical screwup?

thumbswayup

Smash Master
That wasn't even his main point. He probably thought when you were talking in terms of "best character" you would use the tier list as a reference point, not your own personal opinion. His main point lied in his argument over the Fox and Falco matchup, which you failed to argue against and merely flame in a way detrimental to any intelligent discussion. This isn't the tier list discussion thread.

Anyways I'll restate my question because it's getting drowned out in this tier list nonsense..
He obviously didn't. had you read and interpreted what he wrote correctly, you would have seen he was insulting me for claiming sheik might be the best character in the game. i refuted this idiot's arguments by explaining that Mew2king and Silent Wolf agree that sheik is the best in the game. and tier lists are fan made, so they are personal opinion.

i dont know how you define what "main arguments" are. i guess you think it's at the end of the post, or you might have down syndrome. either one because his post was short and he addressed both issues equally. so please work on your reading comprehension before attempting to sound like you know what youre talking about :).

anyway, even hova stated falco beats fox slightly. so i am clearly not alone in this belief. if any of you have actually played a good falco you would have found it incredibly hard to pull off these "great" combos with fox you speak of.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
He obviously didn't. had you read and interpreted what he wrote correctly, you would have seen he was insulting me for claiming sheik might be the best character in the game. i refuted this idiot's arguments by explaining that Mew2king and Silent Wolf agree that sheik is the best in the game. and tier lists are fan made, so they are personal opinion.
When did I argue about anything?

anyway, even hova stated falco beats fox slightly. so i am clearly not alone in this belief. if any of you have actually played a good falco you would have found it incredibly hard to pull off these "great" combos with fox you speak of.
The general consensus in the Falco boards from more experienced players is that Fox is even with or slightly advantageous against Falco.

The reason I responded to your posts was because you seem to believe that Fox gets ***** by Marth and Falco :confused:.

hova

Smash Champion
Adi- i know that sometimes falcon can Sh nair over my lasers if they are too low, it kinda sucks. that's the only real use i can see for shooting a high laser. actually, it works against peach's float as well if they are not high enough. and amazingly when i team with IC and there is a tall opponent, you can shoot a non fast falled laser over the IC head and set up a WD to grab

fox can **** falco if the player is better than you or you don't really understand the match up, which I am guessing is the case with a lot of people in here. if you are of the same relative skill level of your opponent and understand how to fight fox, then your matches should never be less than even.

once fox grabs you it gets bad, but you will only get grabbed when you leave yourself open. Pc vs M2K at FC6 is like falco vs fox 101. if you are having trouble with the match up watch those vids and pay attention to everything because all of Pc's moves are extremely tight and done for specific reasons

just spamming lasers and trying to go crazy with tech skill against a fox will get you destroyed

Repryx

Smash Champion
once fox grabs you it gets bad, but you will only get grabbed when you leave yourself open. Pc vs M2K at FC6 is like falco vs fox 101. if you are having trouble with the match up watch those vids and pay attention to everything because all of Pc's moves are extremely tight and done for specific reasons

just spamming lasers and trying to go crazy with tech skill against a fox will get you destroyed
this advice sounds familiar....hrmm...Also...I tend to play a lil more defensive against Foxes....Start a Shine Combo out of the sheild...and pay close attention to Fox's grab animation cuz you can Dair to cancel it (if timed right) and star a nice lil combo.

terr13

Smash Journeyman

Thumbswayup, I think you were asking for a huge debate with even more ignorant statement. Almost everyone on SWF thinks Fox is even with Marth, and has advantage over Sheik, so don't put out these comments without sufficient backup. A lot of good Falcos also believe that Fox has the advantage over Falco, like Zhu and DaShizWiz, and a lot more think its relatively even. Both have really good combos on each other, but Fox has more speed and better recovery.

Adi, like someone else said, he probably shot the lasers high to stop Falcon from jumping. If you shoot too low they can easily jump over it and hit you.

Repryx

Smash Champion
BTW Thumbs dont call Raging Asion a Moron...I plan on PLaying him one day *Looks to the West*

Miharu

Smash Hero

i dont know how you define what "main arguments" are. i guess you think it's at the end of the post, or you might have down syndrome. either one because his post was short and he addressed both issues equally. so please work on your reading comprehension before attempting to sound like you know what youre talking about :).

It doesn't matter if you're alone in this belief or wrong. It's not as if when two believe in a statement, it automatically makes it the truth. What the **** are you practicing, relativism?

The tier lists are NOT "fan made" or whatever the **** you're saying. They were created by a panel composed of SWF backroom members.

And if you'd play a decent Fox, you'd find that uthrow combos are the easiest **** to pull on Falco ever. Falco, on the other hand, has a difficult time landing the needed hits on Fox.

You're an ignorant *******, and I find it amusing how you're telling Raging Asian to work on his reading comprehension when it's clear that you need to start from preschool again.

Prevail

Smash Apprentice
Sorry about responding so late, but thanks to those who gave their advice to me =)

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter if you're alone in this belief or wrong. It's not as if when two believe in a statement, it automatically makes it the truth. What the **** are you practicing, relativism?

The tier lists are NOT "fan made" or whatever the **** you're saying. They were created by a panel composed of SWF backroom members.

And if you'd play a decent Fox, you'd find that uthrow combos are the easiest **** to pull on Falco ever. Falco, on the other hand, has a difficult time landing the needed hits on Fox.

You're an ignorant *******, and I find it amusing how you're telling Raging Asian to work on his reading comprehension when it's clear that you need to start from preschool again.
Thanks for getting off topic. :l

Miharu

Smash Hero
Would you kindly explain to me how that is going off topic?

Kinda ironic that you're commenting about going off-topic when your post contributes nothing at all.

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
Would you kindly explain to me how that is going off topic?

Kinda ironic that you're commenting about going off-topic when your post contributes nothing at all.
Two negatives make a positive.

Anyways I doubt a Tier list has anything to do with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc. Unless Tier is code for something?

Miharu

Smash Hero
Two negatives make a positive.

Anyways I doubt a Tier list has anything to do with Combos, Damages, Advanced Tactics for Falco, etc. Unless Tier is code for something?
This isn't a math class.

And if you can't make a simple connection with Tiers and advanced strats for Falco, then you've got a long ways to go.

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
This isn't a math class.

And if you can't make a simple connection with Tiers and advanced strats for Falco, then you've got a long ways to go.
Aye, I do, but I can say this, Strats should not be made on Tier lists. An character is only as good as its Player, and the PLAYER is who you should make strats about. Now I can agree, to make a decent strat you need to have a thorough knowledge of the character your facing, but what really matters is how that person reacts to that strat, and how the person reacts and how you react to his reaction are both sub subcategory's of mindgames. Predict, React, Manipulate.

Also if we could avoid an oral conflict I'd really like that. <3

Miharu

Smash Hero
Aye, I do, but I can say this, Strats should not be made on Tier lists. An character is only as good as its Player, and the PLAYER is who you should make strats about. Now I can agree, to make a decent strat you need to have a thorough knowledge of the character your facing, but what really matters is how that person reacts to that strat, and how the person reacts and how you react to his reaction are both sub subcategory's of mindgames. Predict, React, Manipulate.
And said strategies have an eventual effect on Falco's overall placing on the tier list. Since, after all, it's individual players putting those strategies to use, which will determine how well Falco does in tournies overall.

And no, there are set combos that work on certain characters, and those characters only. For example, Falco has guaranteed dair/shine combos on many characters, and mindgames play a negligible role in determining the outcome of said combos, as long as both players are of equal skill level. It's same how Fox has guaranteed uthrow combos on almost every character in the cast, barring a select few (Samus, etc.).

Ares.

Smash Journeyman
And said strategies have an eventual effect on Falco's overall placing on the tier list. Since, after all, it's individual players putting those strategies to use, which will determine how well Falco does in tournies overall.

And no, there are set combos that work on certain characters, and those characters only. For example, Falco has guaranteed dair/shine combos on many characters, and mindgames play a negligible role in determining the outcome of said combos, as long as both players are of equal skill level. It's same how Fox has guaranteed uthrow combos on almost every character in the cast, barring a select few (Samus, etc.).
Yes yes, all very good but, I don't intend to be remembered to a falco who just Pillars all day, thats why there are noticeable falcos who don't limit themselfs to that. Also Mindgames should have a bit more than you stated to do with combos mainly, starting them. When the last time you just saw a falco run up to YOU and start up a pillar? I hope the awnser is less then none. :p
Falco has to ethier 1. Bait or 2. Spam lasers. Baiting for higher lvls of play can be so predictable
a bait may be to the opponent an advantage, you'll dash forward, Wavedash back, and the opponent expecting this Will not FALL for the bait but bait back which for falco may end a stock.

So in a sense mindgames do affect the combo.

And spamming lasers is self explanatory.

ALSO I always forget that the tier list is mainly based on tournament standings ( which is based on mindgames, and technical skill. Making a tier list must be a ***** of a time lol. )>.<

WENT TO TAKE A SHOWA. So, no responses for atleast 20 mins

Top Bottom