• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who else is nervous about Brawl potentially sucking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario-man

Smash Lord
Dylan, I've been on the boards, just not this thread cuz I figured that it was still just a bunch of flamewars. Lol

Now that I see it's not, I'll be on here.

P.S. You still didn't answer my Q. Did you mean my avatar or my sig.

Paraxis: No wavedashing is not a glitch, (sigh here we go again)it is simply a manipulation of the physics engine. Lol
It's okay cuz yer new and haven't read this thread.

Sensai

Smash Master
Dylan, to directly comment on your dislike for Starcraft II graphics...I agreed when I first saw it. It seemed to me to look more like a Warcraft game then a Starcraft game, and I was kinda upset that Blizzard had gone in that direction.

Then I saw the hi-def trailer. It's not nearly as off looking as you think. Download the HD trailer and then, if you still don't like it, we can diagnose the problem. :-D.

[Edit:]

Do we really have to argue about the glitch thing again? Just let him pass. You people are honestly just arguing over the definition of the word now...

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Jeez, that person must have some serious anger management problems or something, it's just a game.
:rotfl:

No comment.

To the guy who said wavedashing is a glitch, it's not. Please, I don't want to get into this. Just take our word for it. It's more realistic in the game than not.

To Sensai: Koji Kondo is really awesome. I especially like some of his WW music, like the Gohdan boss battle.

Now, Nobuo Uematsu is in a league of his own. He's just too awesome for words. If you doubt me, go listen to the FFVII AC soundtrack and come back crying to me. =P Even the first FF games' music was kickass.

The Black Mages are OK, but I prefer the originals. >_>

EDIT: I love my siggy. ^^

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
The only fears I have of brawl are as follows
*a crapload more clones- I just recently looked over the melee unlockable characters, and there were only 6 new characters with completely different movesets (out of 14)
*getting rid of both ness and mr. game and watch, 2 of my best characters...
*adding any more pokemon, the way I see it, there is already 4 pokemon characters with the pokeball, adding about 30 pokemon seen on the screen. any more and the bright colors will surely cause seizures and lawsuits of all sorts...

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
The only fears I have of brawl are as follows
*a crapload more clones- I just recently looked over the melee unlockable characters, and there were only 6 new characters with completely different movesets (out of 14)
*getting rid of both ness and mr. game and watch, 2 of my best characters...
*adding any more pokemon, the way I see it, there is already 4 pokemon characters with the pokeball, adding about 30 pokemon seen on the screen. any more and the bright colors will surely cause seizures and lawsuits of all sorts...
-Well someone's gonna lose their 'best' characters, so you may have to learn to deal with it

Also, in regards to the pokemon...
You do realize that, even without the pokemon, that the game could possibly induce seizures right? YOu realize that your idotic reasonig is taken care of in both the gaming manuals, and in certain cases, a disclamer screen before you actually get to the main menu right?

Zephyr

Smash Lord
He was joking, Classic. -_-

Or at least I think he was. You can never tell around these parts.

Classic-Black

Smash Journeyman
If he was joking, then I retract my statement. But since there's no way for me to tell, and since the first couple mirror alot of actual concerns i've seen on this board, I"m assuming that he was serious

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone notice that on gametrailers.com, they have a picture of Mario in the Smash Bros. pose, but with a different colored costume on? It's for the "E for All" Trailer. Where'd they get that picture? I don't remember seeing Mario in red+white...

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Did anyone notice that on gametrailers.com, they have a picture of Mario in the Smash Bros. pose, but with a different colored costume on? It's for the "E for All" Trailer. Where'd they get that picture? I don't remember seeing Mario in red+white...
Sweet, that might mean fire Mario is a costume. I have wanted the fire flower powered Mario for awhile now. At least I still have fire flower powered Luigi (also Super Mario Bros. 1 regular Luigi) if Mario does not have the costume.

Where is it on game trailers to look it up? Do I type in E for All Brawl or what?

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
It's on the top of the main page...there should be preview pictures for all the recently featured videos...the one for E for All shows a Mario costume that I haven't seen...has anyone seen this before, or is it new? Where'd this new costume come from?

Edit: Specifically, it's a white shirt with red overalls.

mario-man

Smash Lord
It was made by Tappy on Marthsword's Site. The site is messed up right now, but Marthsword is supposedly going to upgrade it. Tappy is on here too, though I'm not sure if he uses the same name or not.

Isn't it sweet though!!!!!!!!!!

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Debate related: I didn't answer as I thought there was going to be rhyme or reason to this, but here goes anyways:This question really depends on how you define better, as it's completely subjective in its entirety.

Technically speaking, they're getting much better. You cannot possibly look at Gears of War and the original Mario and say that one is not clearly blowing the other away. High frame rates, higher polygon counts, better textures, etc...(as you've probably guessed, I don't know the technical jargon)

From another perspective, however, I think that it's become exactly what you said: graphics. I yearn for the days where graphics weren't about how many pixels you could fit onto a screen but about the innovation and the colors that you could create. Look at Super Paper Mario; it's not a graphically amazing game, but it's so **** cool looking. The art style, which should be the main focus of games, is incredible.
I've noticed this a lot lately. Even while resolution and framerate increase, artistic direction is declining. I played Twilight Princess lately and wasn't impressed with the graphics at all. The world is very bland looking, the colors drab. After finishing the game I decided to play Majora's Mask because I never had, and the first thing I noticed was how good everything looked. Yeah, the polygon counts are low, but the colors, the art, and the design in general are just beautiful.

Also, look at a game like Baldur's Gate II. It was a top-down CRPG with gorgeous, intricate artwork everywhere. But that kind of game is no longer made, in favor of fully 3D games like World of Warcraft, which IMO look like crap.

So to answer your question: yes. The graphics are getting better, but the developers and art directors are getting more lazy. And it's not all their fault, either. Look at Okami: an AMAZING looking game with a kick *** take on visuals; completely original. It sold like ****. Now look at Gears of War (I'm sure I'm gonna get flamed for this), a not too great shooter that was bought through the millions because of the standard 'good graphics' alone. No art direction at all...just realism. So originality ends up screwing developers, so they decide to play it safe with realistic graphics.
I agree with you in general but contest Gears of War specifically. That game is a graphical masterpiece in every aspect. The environments are detailed, beautiful, and interesting, and the resolution and textures are stunning as well.

Your point is well-taken, though.

NES Noob - How'd you do at the biweekly?

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
It's on the top of the main page...there should be preview pictures for all the recently featured videos...the one for E for All shows a Mario costume that I haven't seen...has anyone seen this before, or is it new? Where'd this new costume come from?

Edit: Specifically, it's a white shirt with red overalls.
That is fire Mario alright! Awesome. XD

I think the site just switched the colors around and is not really official. I always wondered why Hal Labatories did not put in fire Mario colors since they did a Wario and original Mario Bros. costume for Mario but could not put in something that Mario had in Super Mario Bros. through all the 2-d games. The fire flower was a staple for goodness sake.

Thanks AxemRed for telling me. :)

Edit: I did okay in the biweeklies for being new and all. I beat several people in friendlies with Link, Mario, and Luigi that felt good. I lost the first two official matches I had, though (aka got last). The set against Zero was interesting. First, I played him using Falcon and won (I taunted every chane I got, couldn't help my self XD). Then, he counterpicked Green Greens (hate that level) and I lost with my Mario. Close match like the last one. For the last match, I counterpicked Final Destination and used Fox. I killed myself at the second to last stock on 83%. After that, he pummeled me and won with his last life. Out of all the people I played, he definitely has the best Ness I have ever played against.

Ihavespaceballs and Koyor (I think that's his named) usually beat me by three stocks even though sometimes I won (or was close to even).

I felt good about it being my first time and all. You better come this time. :)

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I decided to play Majora's Mask because I never had, and the first thing I noticed was how good everything looked. Yeah, the polygon counts are low, but the colors, the art, and the design in general are just beautiful.
Brilliant decision, I love that game soo much. Theres great glitches too, *cough be adult link without any h4x*

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I didn't log on for a day and the topic changes like, twice? I'm lost now, are we still talking about graphics or are we talking about something else?

Mr.GAW

Smash Champion
Wow. Great music, Dylan.

I don't play piano, so I don't know how difficult that really must've been for you, but I can tell when something sounds great, and that really, really did.

And gratz on a thousand posts.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Wow. Great music, Dylan.

I don't play piano, so I don't know how difficult that really must've been for you, but I can tell when something sounds great, and that really, really did.

And gratz on a thousand posts.

I wrote that song about 2 years ago, its not the most complicated thing in the world but it does require good independence in your two hands.

P.S I ****ing hate how ****ing badly I suck on kaillera... ****ing **** I hate my controller i hate that I have no god**** mindgames, i Hate that I couldnt 0-death a ******** rabbit... ****.. I just cant do anything I need training and a new controller...

I REALLY ****ING WISH I COULD WALK TOO. Noooooo top of the line 50$ usb controller wont allow me such a privelege as having a joystick that is sensitive. DASHING EVERYWHERE IS A BAD WAY TO PLAY SMASH, THIS IS WHY I SUCK SO GOD**** ****ING MUCH.

Sensai

Smash Master
GAW, I had no idea you posted here.

Dylan, that was incredible. I don't play piano, but that was incredible. I (and I may be alone in this) have a lot of trouble keeping two things going at once, such as a bass line and the substance of the song, or singing and playing at once. That's why I couldn't ever play piano or the drums....too much **** going on.

This might sound a little rude (probably will), but what's up with your hands? I can't help but notice they're....burned? Flaming noobs too much? :-D.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Nah, that's his birth mark. I always thought birth marks were only dark but I guess I was wrong. I'll load the vid now since I'm done searching for songs to download, it's such a pain in the *** and I still can't find Ash's Orpheus! *goes hulk*

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Wow. Like.. wow Thats the first time someones EVER explained that for me online! haha

Haha sensai that wasnt rude. This is rude , comment from youtube on one of my videos
itsdanielduh (23 hours ago) marked as spam
woa sick! i mean the hands. ur right looks half burned :[
Ya its a HUGE red birthmark that goes halway down my whole arm in cool patterns. Its a very rare form of birthmark and 99.99999% of the time its on the persons face.

I am -LUCKY- to say the least.

In reality, I love my birthmark, it makes me really unique, I dont need a tattoo, and it just plain looks cool so Im very glad to have been born with it.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Got any pictures of the cool patterns?
I'm listening to the piece right now and it's really great. I can play piano a bit but just with my right hand, really (more of a mallet percussionist).

mario-man

Smash Lord
DYLAN!!!!!!!!! That is one of the best things I've ever heard!!!! If you truly wrote that, then, well, I'm completely speechless. It was absolutely beautiful.

Destiny Smasher

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have complete faith that I will enjoy Smash Bros. Brawl.

Melee totally blew us away, and while I don't expect the same from Brawl, I expect it to surprise me, to evolve the Smash Bros. gameplay, refine it, and add a good chunk of new stages, characters, features, etc.

Not the same jump from the 1st to the 2nd (that'd be ridiculous) but a good jump worth our whiles, for sure. Nintendo knows how important this game is, and after seeing how dedicated Sakurai is to the project on the blog (and how much he recognizes how important we, the fans, are), my faith has been restored and grown.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Dude above this post. Get off topic or leave this thred is madness either deal with it or be onsumed, your pick :p

seriously though welcome to the thread but realize its 200 pages long or something and that we`re way off topic and just chillin.

Got any pictures of the cool patterns?
I'm listening to the piece right now and it's really great. I can play piano a bit but just with my right hand, really (more of a mallet percussionist).

DYLAN!!!!!!!!! That is one of the best things I've ever heard!!!! If you truly wrote that, then, well, I'm completely speechless. It was absolutely beautiful.
Thanks for the.... very big compliment. Yes I did write that two years ago and developed it recently. Glad to see people enjoy my music because I love to share. ;)

Bufu_Man

Smash Ace
how strange. a couple years ago going off topic would get a topic locked quickly... I guess either the mods are slacking off or they just dont care anymore.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
how strange. a couple years ago going off topic would get a topic locked quickly... I guess either the mods are slacking off or they just dont care anymore.
Ahh well...how bout we stay off topic. It's better this way! ;)

Very nicely done music Dylan, I have no musical skills watsoever, and but that was pretty good. Considering how everyone said it was good I was assuming it would be good, and it was soooo much better than I would have guessed or expected=extremely well done. :)

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Well, it seems to be just this topic that the mods don't lock for being off topic. The mods are considerate.

The piano music is kickass. I wish I could play, but I never learned. I just stick to the clarinet. =P

soaz

Smash Ace
im noy cuz they have made 2 great games then theres no way that they can mess up this game so bad that it sucks

Sensai

Smash Master
<3 spellcheck.

I think they don't close the topic because they're banking on the fact that most idiots flock to random discussion. So, if they can concentrate the idiots on one thread...

BTW: the 'super move' thing is set off by an item, as smashbros.com revealed today. One less thing to be worried about.

/gasp. That was on topic! I'm so sorry!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Apparently you can only use the final smash once per match so it requires some strategy but they all look like free kills.

Only3Penguins

Smash Rookie
Apparently you can only use the final smash once per match so it requires some strategy but they all look like free kills.
Not necessarily. Sakurai compares it to the hammer, presumably meaning it's equally devastating, but if you're up against someone with a hammer, that person can chase you around, but the Final Smash (at least Mario's) looks like its unleashed from a stand-still. Someone directly above or below Mario, or behind him, would seem to be safe from his Final Smash. So basically, its a move with a very wide range, within which any character who gets caught is a free kill for the attacking character, but outside of which you're possibly safer than you would be if someone were chasing you with a hammer.

Vali

Smash Ace
It doesn't really make much sense with once per match though. What would happen if you picked up another Smash Ball after using it once? And if you couldn't, that just means the other person gets it for free (i.e no competition).

AxemRed

Smash Journeyman
I don't know about the free kill theory. Isn't it possible to have an attack that deals a lot of damage, but little knockback?

Anyway, it sounds like you can just press A+B at the same time (or something like that) to perform the final smash move when you choose. This raises the question of whether it's stackable.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
Not necessarily. Sakurai compares it to the hammer, presumably meaning it's equally devastating, but if you're up against someone with a hammer, that person can chase you around, but the Final Smash (at least Mario's) looks like its unleashed from a stand-still. Someone directly above or below Mario, or behind him, would seem to be safe from his Final Smash. So basically, its a move with a very wide range, within which any character who gets caught is a free kill for the attacking character, but outside of which you're possibly safer than you would be if someone were chasing you with a hammer.

Very true, if you play with items and im sure a lot of people will because of how cool super smashes are going to lkook then there will definatly be strategies to avoid them... Links final smash seems like he traps you though I hope we find out how that works soon....

But in anycase, we finally know for sure its caused by an item and therefore it is an option.

I don't make tournament rules so I cant say right now whether the brawl competitive scene will feature items but I do HIGHLY doubt it, and figure it would mirror melees scene a bit more.

In anycase, having options is the best and sakurai is a wise man. Final smashes on or off, your choice to customize your gaming experience. Less linear, more adaptability, a step in the right direction for brawl!!!

NOW TELL ME IF WAVEDASHING IS STILL IN :mad:

:p

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
NOW TELL ME IF WAVEDASHING IS STILL IN :mad:
Tell me a reason why it should be cut. Ya that's right no answer, so why should it leave=??? Sakurai is extremely smart, and won't cut WD, or anything for that matter without a reason, and he has no reason to cut WD, so it's safe to assume WD is in Brawl=yae!

@ Red Exodus
There has to be something other than a free kill involved, there has to be at least some skill involved in using them, or at least picking them up. Maybe you get it under certain conditions, or something like that. Idk, but we're basically guarenteed to get more news on it by July. Hopefully it involves some skill, and I'm sure it will be intresting to see how it develops.

Originally Posted by the 100% Correct GigaKoopa
you got that right, i hope the mods leave this topic just for that and to Dylan that was superb on how you played that piano, maybe you could give me some lessons sometime
^^^^, except I have no piano (or ANY musical) skillz watsoever, but at least I can wakeboard! :grin: Still, this topic is wayyyyy tooo awsome to die...EVER! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom