• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who do you play against?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Just curious... and running on no sleep.
Everyone here talks a lot of theory but I don't hear many people talking from experience. So I'm curious. Who do you play against? Who do you train with? How often do you play with them? Wifi or live?

Oh... I should set an example and answer myself huh?

I play with Bam, my crew which consists of pretty much the best in the ucf area. A high placing snake/meta main; radix, A stupid Ice climber I room with(that match up isn't 80/20 or whatever, lol @ sheik being easy to grab);x-factor, dk/fox/who ever I don't play as; virgman, diddy; zzyzx, and a pkmtrainer; mata to name a few. I also frequently get to play with xYz, a high placing GaW.
I play with those guys at least two to three times a week.
Just recently I got to play with a bunch of awesome people, GDX, G-money, Polmex, HRnut again naming a few, at virgfest after one of florida's bigger tourneys, gigabits. fun times.

I hate wifi and haven't played since back when ryoko and Ankoku and I used to play a lot.

think that covered everything not in order though.
K, I'm gonna go get chain grabbed.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
SamuraiPanda (Snake main, plays a bunch of other characters too I guess)
Epic (Meta Knight)
lain (Dedede/ICs)
SCOTU (Meta Knight)
Bowyer (any character EXCEPT Meta Knight : (... except when he's high)

clowsui

Smash Legend
Overswarm
(Overswarm) - This fellow is kinda weird. He's also busy a lot, but his Metaknight is good...when it isn't losing to Sonic. FREQUENCY: Once/3 months

Smash64
Infern Angelis
YbM

(God Kais) - A crew composed of three members. Seems like that they're starting to perform better in tournaments! Definitely the best in the actual city of Cincinnati. FREQUENCY: 1-2 times/month

Tyr
e_
SS
TGM

(Young Guys) - an unofficial crew that was named simply to make sure that clowsui had convenient groups to sort people into. Tyr is the best out of all of them, definitely! Recognized by quite a few people at the last circuit event as the best Lucas, he is best known for defeating Capem - the 4th place MK at the most recent circuit event - 2-0 in pools. clowsui is next, but he really can't play against himself. e_, SS and TGM are all people who are around clowsui's level. They tend to make stupid mistakes but are definitely on the rise. FREQUENCY: 2-3 times/month

Dr. Hyde

Smash Ace
Kinda learning Shiek on my own but playing vs. Aeyr
so it's basically the cat fight matches, vs. Zelda, Samus, ZSS, and Peach

Redson

Smash Journeyman
Sudai (ROB)
Lee Martin (EVERYTHING AAAAUGH)
RickyB (Marth)
NickZ0r (D3)

^^ Some of the guys I get to play with once in a while.

Bomber7 (Pokemon Trainer/Toon Link)

^^ I play this ******* like...all the time. Its lame.

Tristan_win

Not dead.
Wifi...

Before my online crew broke apart though I fought junebugx, Shadofiend, BoX 7, KhaosMatador, a good sum and a lot of other players roughly as good who have yet to get there names out there yet.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
norcal guys who dont really go to tournys a lot

Light - Toon Link
Chokalait - Peach

I get most of my training from lvl 9 CPUs

and test myself on wifi with the OTL people

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
I train aginst compys and try to find new playstyles, and then I play people on wifi to try to find out what works and what doesn't.

The people I play are usually like...
Pikachu people like Stealth_Raptor, Veng, Or anyone who hangs out there ( its a popular place, lots of really good players there )

I play EwicN, Rainthelinkmain, Raikou, and a few others from Nsider 2.

And lately Ive been playing people from this board.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
IRL

KnoxD10 (ZSS main :urg:)
Mike_B (Jiggs main)
Nicalobe (Yoshi main)
CrimsonsCurse aka my bro (Meta Knight main)

wi-fi

I run a clan with like 50 members plus ally clans. So pretty much anyone who is on and wants to Brawl. (No way in hell that I am going to try and list everyone.)

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i think it is best to balance out lvl 9's and wifi if you don't have a lot of people to play IRL because wifi can limit your tech skill if you only resort to easy strategies rather than the precision tech skill to play irl

lvl 9 training is soooo good

keeps you consistent

KRDsonic

Smash Master
jS (Ness/whoever else he feels like using that day)... and that's it.

I do get friendlies against other people about once a month whenever I go to a HOBO, and tourny matches.

rinoH

Smash Lord
lol bowyer a stoner so funny ankoku well i play online and my cousin who plays more melee than brawl
usually they're jiggs or pit mains sheik does pretty good against

smoking is bad for you =(

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
i think it is best to balance out lvl 9's and wifi if you don't have a lot of people to play IRL because wifi can limit your tech skill if you only resort to easy strategies rather than the precision tech skill to play irl

keeps you consistent
So true.

How exactly do you go about training aginst compys?

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
training with comps are fun. but sometimes having a goal while playing em gives your self a challenge. like 3 stocking them. and taking less than 100% if you take 100% you restart your match. stuff that really irritates you and make you want to do better and better

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
So true.

How exactly do you go about training aginst compys?
kinda what cross said, but i give myself fairly consistent and difficult challenges

there are 5 main computers i play: metaknight, peach, luigi, pikachu, and marth

marth is very easy, and it teaches you basic spacing and edge guarding with you character since he is fairly simple to do that against. i can usually 5-stock him within a few matches if i pick up a new character

peach is quite fast and gives you some good mixups in her approach. she can RAR float bair like its nothing. she also does fast nairs and uses her floats well. with this u have to fight her priority by spacing and responding well

metaknight is just basically to improve your character, bread and butter. he's a solid computer, not AMAZING but still very good. the main challenge here is 5-stocking him, and it teaches you some things about the metaknight matchup as well.

lvl 9 luigi is a combo breaker and teaches you to be very consistent and patient. u can camp lvl 9 luigi easily, but if you mess up he punishes you quite well (sometimes with his up-B... SHORYUKEN!!!!!!!!)

lvl 9 pikachu is too good and nearly impossible to 5-stock unless you play REALLY consistently

i use these comps with any character. i put the stock to 5 because 3-stocking is very easy, 4-stocking is challenging but 5-stocking is even more challenging. the longer matches keep you consistent too, and give you lots of practice. the main challenge is trying not to die

i have trained on lvl 9's ever since i started the game, and people wonder how i am as good as i am without playing people very often. it's not that i never do... it's just that the lvl 9's make me very consistent, and whenever i do get together with my crew i try to do my best and apply what i have learned to real matches. it's good that i am playing wifi now too. it's all a learning experience

all the years of melee experience helps too

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
LOL, Wow.
I used to be able to consistently 10 stock CPU's in melee, Now I cant even consistently 3 stock them, you must be better than me :p
Training aginst CPU's is way more legit than it was in melee.

Coincidently ( Or is it? :p ), thoes are the same characters I train against.

I also mix in sheik on occasion, I think Sheik is an underratted CPU.

I have a few different game settings I use when I train as well, Three actually.

-20 Stock matches
In these long matches Ill try to work on the more subtle aspects of gameplay, DI, Teching, Powersheilding. Just little peices. Im not super concerned with winning or losing.
This is basicly what I do instead of going to training mode. The large # of lives give me the flexibility to try new things.

-3 Stock matches
This is what is sounds like you're doing. I play to three stock my opponent.
This is like the Core of CPU training. Having a match like you would have a match aginst a human.

-Stamina mode, 1hp, vs 150-300hp compy
The computers are actually a Little tiny bit different in stamina mode.

This is actually quicky becoming my favorite way to train, I think you can probably learn the most in the shortest ammount of time with this method.
If I do something stupid, and I get punished for it, I know right away because the match ends., And I have like 10 seconds between matches to figure out What I did wrong, and what to do differently.
The idea isn't to do 300 damage without getting touched, as people seemed to have gotten the impression from my videos. But it is to fine tune my game, and to make sure that when I play a person, I know exactly when I am, and when I am not leaving myself vulnerable.

Try the Stamina mode thing, and tell me what you think!

Oh, I added you're FC Too, I posted in the sheik Wifi friend finder thread, but it seems to have died :(

Also,
@ Cross.

like a week ago you were hosting and I kept trying to join.
I wasn't sure if it was a glitch or not.
You seemed to be hosting all day. Were you not letting me in?
If my connection is so bad that you'd rather play the punching bag then you might as well just delete me :p

sniperworm

Smash Ace
I play against lvl 9 CPUs during the week because work keeps me busy.

Pretty much every weekend I play against:
DarkMusician (Zelda/MK)
Fingerp@ss (Yoshi/Wolf/Snake/Ganon)
MrEh (Bowser/PT)
Blitz (Wolf/Snake)
Wry!! (G&W/MK)
EpicFail (Falcon/Lucario/Kirby)

I never liked wifi and I haven't played since I was traumatized against NinjaLink (where I got an SD within the first 5 seconds of the match, lol).

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Level 3 CPUs. Just kidding.

I play against Gaudeo, almost constantly, whose main is Ike, I suppose, but he'll play as anyone. Occasionally, I'll play LeRoY, who mains Fox.

And sometimes, my brother will play as Samus. Or ZSS.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Sheik is so beast.

We are doing smashfests like... every other day over here. I'm going to attempt to get a camcorder (today... maybe tomarrow) so I can be one of the people that posts up horrible quality matches with background commentary on youtube.

EDIT:
I just realized... "east" is in "beast"... Is that a coincidence?

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Sheik is so beast.

We are doing smashfests like... every other day over here. I'm going to attempt to get a camcorder (today... maybe tomarrow) so I can be one of the people that posts up horrible quality matches with background commentary on youtube.

EDIT:
I just realized... "east" is in "beast"... Is that a coincidence?
I just use my digital camera. No need for a camcorder these days. one of Canons newest compact digital camera even shoots video in HD.

Oddly, the quality i get from my camera is probably better than what i got using my capture card. The capture software sucked so bad.

Charoo

Smash Champion
i am the godliest sheik, so it's all good
u can play smash again?

Used to play with jmex and edrees but not anymore. Now I just play training mode if I do play.

We should hang out and eat some corn flakes andre =)

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
i train with
larry aka dehf
fiction
rich brown
hugs(sometimes)
bardull(sometimes)

and against the members of my one friends crew cant remember any of the names but hemp >.<

ill have some vids up tomorrow of me against rich brown and some tourny matches (i know i keep saying i will but i finally found my digital camera lol)

Voyeur

Smash Journeyman
I need to get back to Training and Playing but, the ones in my area who were at tournaments I attend are,

DFS, Fiction, HugS, TKD, Havokk, Bones, Sky, Champ, TyRanT, Dehf, mikeHAZE, Leepuff, and others.
I think I have a wide selection of people to hand my *** to me and get better with, I just need to get back into the scene and start up. But I'll be heading out of SoCal and to Canada for a while.

lol apparently Lazee lives around me too then.

goodkid

Smash Lord

keeps you consistent
I 2nd this! Yeah I play a ton of wifi, but its hard to maneuver that playing wifi doesn't really help those who use precise strategies & movements like me:p. If I think back lvl9 practice is actually decent. Of course they don't DI like humans, but it does solidify your combos & play style in general. Practice vs higher tier chars like MK is a good thing, because now you know their basic movements and basic strats that they need to win.

Edit: Whats up w/ you Cali players? You should be beast mode training w/ the best!!! I want to see some high placement from you guys soon. So you guys sit down @ train or just during tournament?

Top Bottom