• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who cares about tiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Is there a need? No

Will tiers become obvious anyway? Yes

Should they effect who you main? No

Do they exist? Yes

Are they wanted by most people in the competitive scene where they actually matter? Yes

Just some Q&A for ya ^

And also, no, even if I worked my *** off and was the top Zelda in the world, I would never beat the to MK in the world. Sorry to break your logic.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
My Kirby can pwn anyone (Not always true)
Just not Snake.
I agree, tiers are only made to see just how exactly awesome your character is...and by the way...My Falcon is beastly. So take that :laugh:.
oh really nick?

okay, now i'm going to do the same. :laugh:

My Zss pwns so take that SWF and nature!

DarkAura

Smash Lord
tiers don exits is the best quote.

Whether to trust them or go by them or not is up to you but all seriousness they do exist Theres no denying the fact a Bottom tier has trouble against Top Tiers

PKNintendo

Smash Master
Everybody.
Tier's are a ranking of characters. If your main is low, people get mad. Pretty simple things to grasp.

Also they apply to highest levels of play.

REL38

Smash Lord
tires don exits
OH SNAP FLAME WAR! /sarcasm

But seriously, I play Ganon more than my main. He's much more fun. But he lacks the tools my mains have (Kirby, Snake).

Ganon's fun, but I'm not gonna dedicate my time and effort to fight an up hill battle just to prove a meaningless point and say,

"lol Tiers don't exist! See my Ganon!?"

I really don't give a ****.

kozimoto

Smash Journeyman
Niagara Falls NY. US , Strasbourg, France
OH SNAP FLAME WAR! /sarcasm

But seriously, I play Ganon more than my main. He's much more fun. But he lacks the tools my mains have (Kirby, Snake).

Ganon's fun, but I'm not gonna dedicate my time and effort to fight an up hill battle just to prove a meaningless point and say,

"lol Tiers don't exist! See my Ganon!?"

I really don't give a ****.

yeh, honestly the lower tier characters seem to be most fun to play with. but theres no points in working ur *** off with a bad character to prove what ur saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGh4ZU4H5Hk

obviously if u play the character b/c u like that character their tier position shouldnt bother you

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I agree, the low tiers are sooo fun to use :p

Makes it hard for me to pick up a high tier secondary.

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Top level players, and those wanting to join the competitive scene to win.

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
I have ran into this "tiersR4queers" thing so many times it's not funny.
So lets break this down and instead of flaming say why tiers exist.

For example, we have Ganon. Ganon has the best spike, tech chasing and pretty good combo's. So you might be like "why is he so low?"

#1 Hi's recovery is poor and thus usually doesn't make it back to the stage.

#2 His kill move are laggy (on the exception of Dair stomping). This means you can't always get a KO at the tip of the KO percents.

#3 He has NOT one way to deal with projectiles.

#4 A big tart=get, thus he gets combo'd/tilt locked/CG'd easily.

#5 He doesn't have a projectile.
In other words, campers get at him. This is also a BIG problem.

His faults are major, and have nothing to do with his combo's or abilities.
Same thing can be said about Fox. He is freakin good, but any fool can pick Pikachu/Sheik and do almost all of the damage that needs done in the stock to him. Sheik can even end with a USmash KO.

It comes down to how well the foe reacts under pressure, approach options, spacing options, any infinites/0-deaths on them, projectiles, weight, recovery and kill percents. Combo's are also important.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
tiers are the basis of match ups.
or, what comes out of them. :/
so yeah, they're kind of important.
i don't choose who i play based on tiers though, and neither should anybody else.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
they're based on both of them, i guess?
either way, matchups have a lot to do with it.
if they were solely based on tournament results it would look like ankoku's thread that i'm too lazy to link to

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
tiers are the basis of match ups.
or, what comes out of them. :/
so yeah, they're kind of important.
i don't choose who i play based on tiers though, and neither should anybody else.
Not entirely...
It is also based on the characters mechanics.
ie Fast fallers= godd news for combo people... and thus worse
Not directly. Tiers are based on tournament results.
Not entirely, if they were then we wouldn't have a tourney results tier list and a normal tier list. Bowser sucks according to the tourney result tier list. lol

BTW.. how did you change your name Straked?

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
yeah i know it's not entirely.
i know matchups don't have everything to do with it.
i'm saying they help.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
they're based on both of them, i guess?
either way, matchups have a lot to do with it.
if they were solely based on tournament results it would look like ankoku's thread that i'm too lazy to link to
Whoawut?

"Not directly" to that claim, as well.
Not entirely, if they were then we wouldn't have a tourney results tier list and a normal tier list. Bowser sucks according to the tourney result tier list. lol

BTW.. how did you change your name Straked?
Matchups plays a little role as well. But whatever. I don't care about the Tier List, i just main my favorite characters and that's it.
From what I've seen, they never mentioned anything about character matchups playing any role whatsoever in tier placement, since the community (most filled with wi-fi warriors) decide on MUs. Most of it is "Oh, this is even." or "It could go 60:40 either way, I guess."

A tier list is an ordered list of the characters based on their competitive value in the current metagame. It basically shows which characters are currently doing well in tournaments.

M3D said:
3. This list is based on a combination of tournament result data, extensive discussions with top players and tournament hosts and looking at general trends in play in the current competitive metagame. It took a lot of work on the part of some of the best minds in Smash to compile this list.
To everyone telling me that matchups play a small role... in what regard? How? Who told you this? Is there any proof? If so, I'd like to know.

And I have a premium membership. I can make my name green, give myself a custom title, prank people, have access to the Disco Room, and have the option to have a mushroom icon.

IShotLazer

Smash Journeyman
Uh lol another one of these? They still allow these topics? At least in the tactic forums this is very misplaces. Maybe in the pool hall or something.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
lmao, this topic is hilarious.

Matchups play a big role in the tierlist, however, matchup ratios from the character boards play absolutely no role cause they usually are utter fail.
GGs. <3

mountain_tiger

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4441-8987-6303
lmao, this topic is hilarious.

Matchups play a big role in the tierlist, however, matchup ratios from the character boards play absolutely no role cause they usually are utter fail.
GGs. <3
This. For example, the Fox boards say that Zelda vs Fox is 60:40 her favour, whereas the Zelda boards say it's 60:40 Fox's favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom