• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Who are the most succesful IC players?

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
ew

5th at a texas tournament.

hurts my eyes to even see such text
I know right?

To be fair, it was at my House, and the best players from each city came so it was actually pretty hard. Texas has about 1-3 really good players spread out in each city (Houston has like 5 though) so its usually pretty easy to get top 3. This tournament there was no scrubs though :(. And lots of upsets!!!

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
Yeah, but they only got some of my diddy and G&W though :(. They didn't record the grand finals, or other matches with my ICs :(. And there was a 5 grab limit that tournament as well lol.
that dosent make much sense lol record random matches but not the finals? i think the grab limit is BS even though i get ***** by Cg's.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
millar seems good, hylian's successful, void disappeared, dunno about any others

i would say that i am one of the best ic's, however i have no credibility without videos, so i'll leave it at hylian/millar.

i have mained ic's before brawl for a few years now, and i will say this: every ic player i've seen, including millar and hylian, is absolutely terrible at using non-grab desynchs effectively.

screw grabs, open up your minds, boys. i've beaten players with only blizzards, aerials, and usmash.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Eh, I prefer normal fighting and desyncing with Ice Climbers :p Then again, that's probably because that's pretty much all I'm allowed to do at tournys until I master the footstool grab combo xD

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
millar seems good, hylian's successful, void disappeared, dunno about any others

i would say that i am one of the best ic's, however i have no credibility without videos, so i'll leave it at hylian/millar.

i have mained ic's before brawl for a few years now, and i will say this: every ic player i've seen, including millar and hylian, is absolutely terrible at using non-grab desynchs effectively.

screw grabs, open up your minds, boys. i've beaten players with only blizzards, aerials, and usmash.
Yeah, I don't have any videos of my desynch stuff, but I have been working on it a lot recently. I 2-0'ed a d3 player that knocked my G&W out of another tournament without CGing him once >_>(Aside from kill set-ups). Its really fun to confuse your opponent with desynchs :).

My favorite is having Nana alwzys charging a smash while I dash attack or do tilts, then immediatly make her start charging again. If you do this while staying close to your opponent they sometimes get so desperate to get away from the pressure they jump lol.
Another good on is having nana charge an upsmash at the same time you jump and uair a falling opponent. If they AD, they get hit by nana, if they don't, they get hit with the Uair. It's amazing.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
You only need 2 things to beat D3: Alt blizzards and synched squall. Seriously if you just spam these 2 moves D3 is absolutely helpless. Add on uair juggles and grabs and it's laughable how unbalanced that particular matchup is.

Alt blizzards is really the only desynch I find useful. There are a lot of other things to fool around with but all your opponent has to do is shoot something at you or wait until you are done.

I agree with choknater when he says "screw grabs." I was horrible at chaingrabbing until like a month ago and I still had great tournament results. Even now I still win almost all of my matches without any long chaingrabs.

lain

Smash Master
Sad I didn't place top 5 like I wanted to (which would've meant being in the mix of Anther, DSF, NOJ, Overswarm, and Vidjogamer).

Placing right below was a little disappointing, but next tourney I'll try and win!

But yeah, no, I'm totally amazing and ****.

:colorful:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
You only need 2 things to beat D3: Alt blizzards and synched squall. Seriously if you just spam these 2 moves D3 is absolutely helpless. Add on uair juggles and grabs and it's laughable how unbalanced that particular matchup is.

Alt blizzards is really the only desynch I find useful. There are a lot of other things to fool around with but all your opponent has to do is shoot something at you or wait until you are done.

I agree with choknater when he says "screw grabs." I was horrible at chaingrabbing until like a month ago and I still had great tournament results. Even now I still win almost all of my matches without any long chaingrabs.
D3 can just Utilt your squall..really easily. He can also ftilt through desynched blizzards and throw waddles over them. If D3 ever gets a bthrow off on nana she is dead. D3 can bait a squall by spamming ftilt and then utilting when you squall over it. This sets up bair **** on nana.

Don't take amazing characters so lightly. A d3 that knows the match up will beat simple tricks.
Desynchs are VERY useful. I don't see anyone thinking outside the box yet though. Perhaps I will make a thread with all amazing desynch stuff I have been messing around with. People understand how to desynch, but I don't think many people see how effective and useful simple desynchs like pivot fsmash/dash attack are.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I really wish they could have recorded those matches Hylian; the battery died in the camera and they didn't have a charger/replacement. :(

The Houston guys, other than Allan, have recording equipment right? You think they could let me use that for the next HOBO? I would really hate missing matches just cause we didn't have a camera or two lying around to use.

lain

Smash Master
It can be a tough matchup (especially if you get Battlefield).

**This only applies to good D3's.
D3 can just jump and do dairs. The IC's have no answer to this kind of vertical range (except belay, but only use that for a fresh kill). D3 can basically do this all day, and thus won't spend a very long time on the ground. He can also play spacing games in the air above you and then drop with a move, or just land and do a grab. Don't let him regicide you or nana, as sometimes that can be very simple and effective.

Squall hammer is a pretty good move against him, but like all characters, they have answers for it. Only use Squall hammers when you know they'll hit or poke. Don't overuse it (duh).

Blizzard is still as good as it gets in this matchup. Blizzard all day stops anything he can do (besides ftilt :( ).

Dedede's enjoy landing and grabbing, so be sure to read this and grab them instead (of course this is something you do to everyone).

TKD

Smash Lord
Squall hammer is a pretty good move against him, but like all characters, they have answers for it. Only use Squall hammers when you know they'll hit or poke. Don't overuse it (duh).

Blizzard is still as good as it gets in this matchup. Blizzard all day stops anything he can do (besides ftilt :( ).

Dedede's enjoy landing and grabbing, so be sure to read this and grab them instead (of course this is something you do to everyone).

D3's not that hard. ALL characters have answers to squall hammer? I thought squall hammer was an answer all in itself. If you shorthop it, it goes over tilts and some failed aerials, like G&W's back air (he gets too much landing lag, a retreating shorthop to squall hammer into him is an easy answer to his shorthopped bair).

lain

Smash Master
Yes. All characters have an answer to it.

Okay, so it's good out of shield. Revolutionary.

False. G&W can run away from it in time if they space it well.

Again, I'm speaking in the terms that the people playing are good.

:colorful:

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Lain...Uair destroys D3's bair camping...If they do it low, you can have nana start charging while you run up and shield. If D3 hits your shield he will eat a charged smash from nana.

You CAN be hit out of desynched blizzards by waddles. If D3 hits popo, then runs up and grabs and bthrows nana, then bye bye nana.

Also, be careful of D3's dair. It has more range then your uair and will beat squall. Not to mention it seperates them :/.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
D3 can just Utilt your squall..really easily. He can also ftilt through desynched blizzards and throw waddles over them. If D3 ever gets a bthrow off on nana she is dead. D3 can bait a squall by spamming ftilt and then utilting when you squall over it. This sets up bair **** on nana.

Don't take amazing characters so lightly. A d3 that knows the match up will beat simple tricks.
Desynchs are VERY useful. I don't see anyone thinking outside the box yet though. Perhaps I will make a thread with all amazing desynch stuff I have been messing around with. People understand how to desynch, but I don't think many people see how effective and useful simple desynchs like pivot fsmash/dash attack are.
Sounds good in theory but in practice it is so hard for D3 to do anything cause he's a huge target that gets sucked into blizzards and squalls so easily. I've never dropped a single match to a D3 player with ICs, and this includes players like Atomsk, PC Chris, Swift, and Sol. I've challenged people like Chillin and m2k to ICs vs. D3 money matches and they declined cause they think the match is horrible for D3.

TheWildcard

Smash Champion
lol lain, vayseth believe IC's vs DDD is a 10-0 IC favor i bet you can imagine the argument that started from that.

lain

Smash Master
This is true Hylian it DOES stop camping like that, but some Dedede's are quite determined and know that if they just dair camp on platforms all day, there's little you can do except catch him in a landing mistake.

It's not like I'm saying it's bad or impossible or something. Just merely talking about an annoying thing they can do.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Lain...Uair destroys D3's bair camping...If they do it low, you can have nana start charging while you run up and shield. If D3 hits your shield he will eat a charged smash from nana.

You CAN be hit out of desynched blizzards by waddles. If D3 hits popo, then runs up and grabs and bthrows nana, then bye bye nana.

Also, be careful of D3's dair. It has more range then your uair and will beat squall. Not to mention it seperates them :/.
Wouldn't up tilt beat his Dair? I have been noticing that a lot of people try to attack aerial characters with their Up air when it is better to do it with Up tilt since it has A LOT of priority. If even beat's Game and watch's Key in range...

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Ask fogo about that three stock.
what 3 stock?

EDIT: up-b goes through Dair :(

and don't side-b a good D3 when h'es retreating, i've hit many IC's with pivoted dash attacks and F-smashes because of it.

The main idea in the match-up is to get the grab and stay one step ahead of the D3, because once you become easy to read you're toast.

I think Hylian knows the match-up fairly well from the IC side, he did beat me last time lol

Now if you guys wanna beat IC's with D3, now that's a different story ;)

Speedsk8er

Smash Champion
LOL are you saying that it IS an impossible matchup, and that other people don't really main IC's?
People just play IC because their gay grabs make them the best char in the game.....

>___________________>

e-sarcasm

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'm now the best Ice Climber player in Utah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) And I suck.
Final, you haven't played against my ICs yet. I'll show you how good I am with them on Thursday's tournament. Chain grabbing is just so much fun.

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
Go to getyourtournament or youtube and find the new Fly Amanita vs. Plank fight
Fly is too good =]

soloSHADOWROB

Smash Journeyman
I have to nominate Ambrose, he also beat plank. He eliminated plank from the bracket at CH4 and placed 7th. He's <333
Haha Plank lost to the place he woulda got if I had beat him at Axis.
Anyone who beats Plank I would make sweet love too (NO HOMO)
lol

TKD

Smash Lord
Look for Fly Amanita. He's the best. He doesn't chaingrab though. So if he did, he'd be...too much.

LOL, a friend of mine beat Plank in friendlies

Top Bottom