• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well i know a guy whose playing Halo3 right now and i asked him, you think Brawl will be able to beat Halo 3? he immedietly said "Yeah of course, smash bros brawl is just a totally diffrent game while Halo3 is an improved version.
How is Brawl any more of a different game? It's just Melee with some tweaks and more stuff added...Basically

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
It may have outsold the first Halo, but not Halo 2.
If there were a Smash game between Melee and Brawl, I'm more than certain that it would have outsold Halo 2 (by now, at least :p).

And it's true, Halo 3 made the most money on it's first day than anything, including Harry Potter, because of how many copies of Harry Potter were sold at a discounted price. 170 million in 24 hours, and some of you expect Brawl to outsell it? It's not gonna happen.
This is precisely the first stage in what many indicated would happen:

1. Halo 3 will sell insanely large amounts initially.
2. Brawl will steadily see good sales and overall will outsell Halo 3.

170 million dollars in 24 hours will NOT KEEP UP for the next 20 months. After Christmas, the Halo 3 sales will slow down, gradually, and maintain a nice steady rhythm that'll allow Brawl to catch up to it and inevitably surpass it.

Oh, and Halo 3 only made so much money because of its price. If people bought HP7 and Spiderman 3 tickets at the same price of Halo 3, you wouldn't see so much press about how much it sold. How many copies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows were sold in the first day? Eleven million? Certainly more than 2.83 million, which is a rather generous estimation of how many people bought Halo 3 (170/average of $60).

Don't be fooled by the money estimates.

SiD

Smash Master
Well I guarantee not that many people would have bought Harry Potter were it 60 dollars first of all.

And second, your theory is inherently flawed. Melee had what, 6 years to build up sales? Compare that to Halo 2's 3 years, and it shows that Smash does not sell better over time than Halo does at all.

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
Well I guarantee not that many people would have bought Harry Potter were it 60 dollars first of all.
Yeah, nobody would have bought Harry Potter 7 at all, since you know, people care so much more about the price rather than the seventh and final book of a high-selling and highly anticipated series. You're telling me that if it costed 60 dollars, Harry Potter 7 would have earned 72% less sales than it did on day one? That 8 million less people would have bought it?

And second, your theory is inherently flawed. Melee had what, 6 years to build up sales? Compare that to Halo 2's 3 years, and it shows that Smash does sell better over time than Halo does at all.
We could argue theoretically all day about how much a Smash Bros game in between Melee and Brawl would have sold in comparison to Halo 2. But I'm not going to, because there is absolutely no way we could prove either one wrong.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Halo 3 will probably sell more (in usa), mainly because its been getting so much publicity since forever.

SSBB in Japan will absolutely own Halo's face though.

CStrife187

Smash Journeyman
if ssbm failed to outsell halo 2 even though it was out twice as long, that means that melee did NOT sustain sales like all of you are saying. I don't like halo, but it will absolutely sell more copies worldwide than ssbb. It might sell more in the US than brawl will worldwide.

SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
Ok. It's the holidays. Everyone is still playing their belovid Halo 3 that they got THE FIRST DAY IT CAME OUT. Ok, time for a wish list. "Let's see, I already have Halo 3..." Super Smash will outsell Halo 3 this holiday season.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ok. It's the holidays. Everyone is still playing their belovid Halo 3 that they got THE FIRST DAY IT CAME OUT. Ok, time for a wish list. "Let's see, I already have Halo 3..." Super Smash will outsell Halo 3 this holiday season.
Yep, Brawl is the Christmas present of the year. Every parent, child and teen is gonna rush to get it once it hits the racks. (Thank heavens we have ours reserved...). My prediction is it will still be selling fast well into January.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
How is Brawl any more of a different game? It's just Melee with some tweaks and more stuff added...Basically
Lol not really, have the weapons in Halo really changed that much?....does master chief look any diffrent?! can master chief arial spike now? now he can do the exact same thing, hold down trigger and shoot XD.

Mallhew

Smash Cadet
I can't believe there is an arguement over this still.

Halo 3 broke records...Smash Bros, honestly isn't going to touch that.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
if ssbm failed to outsell halo 2 even though it was out twice as long, that means that melee did NOT sustain sales like all of you are saying. I don't like halo, but it will absolutely sell more copies worldwide than ssbb. It might sell more in the US than brawl will worldwide.
you have to remember that the gamecube didnt do nearly as well as the Xbox.

But now that the Wii is on top of everything, I personally think SSBB will sell way more..

SSBM is a fun game no matter what, me and my friends play that game for hours all night long.

And sometimes even play SSB if we don't have melee with us, now thats saying something. SSB is just a more fun game overall, and the only true reason halo sold so much was because it gets so much more publicity in america.

Halo isn't very fun in my opinion. Yes I said it. And i absolutely love fpses.

SiD

Smash Master
you have to remember that the gamecube didnt do nearly as well as the Xbox.

But now that the Wii is on top of everything, I personally think SSBB will sell way more..

SSBM is a fun game no matter what, me and my friends play that game for hours all night long.

And sometimes even play SSB if we don't have melee with us, now thats saying something. SSB is just a more fun game overall, and the only true reason halo sold so much was because it gets so much more publicity in america.

Halo isn't very fun in my opinion. Yes I said it. And i absolutely love fpses.

But your opinion is obviously the minority, why else would Halo 3 sell so well.

And colonelkernel, your deluded. You totally missed my point. Smash failed to sustain sales having twice as long as Halo 2, so thinking Brawl will do so to Halo 3 is a bad theory.

Yeah, nobody would have bought Harry Potter 7 at all, since you know, people care so much more about the price rather than the seventh and final book of a high-selling and highly anticipated series. You're telling me that if it costed 60 dollars, Harry Potter 7 would have earned 72% less sales than it did on day one? That 8 million less people would have bought it?
It's quite possible that many less people would have bought it, but lets say Halo 3 was the price of Harry potter, the final game of a high selling and highly anticipated series. It could have still outsold it. But even if it didn't, the price difference does exist, and Halo made more money, deal with it.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Halo will sell more in the US and not world wide simply because of the size of the Japanese market, the same thing happened with Melee

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
And colonelkernel, your deluded. You totally missed my point. Smash failed to sustain sales having twice as long as Halo 2, so thinking Brawl will do so to Halo 3 is a bad theory.
Do you think being around longer will generate more sales? No. Halo 2 was a hyped, brand-spanking new game. At the same time, Melee was simply a long-lasting classic.

It's quite possible that many less people would have bought it, but lets say Halo 3 was the price of Harry potter, the final game of a high selling and highly anticipated series. It could have still outsold it. But even if it didn't, the price difference does exist, and Halo made more money, deal with it.
Oh, yeah, great comeback. I defy you with facts and you come up with "Deal with it" and a bunch of theory. The fact is, the number of XBOX 360 owners still do not outrank the amount of HP7's sold in 24 hours. That means, if every single 360 owner in the world bought a copy Halo 3 at time of release, with same prices as Harry Potter, then Harry Potter would still have 500 000 more copies sold than Halo 3. The math proves your theories wrong.

In short, no, it could NOT have outsold it.

And don't try saying that 500 000 people could have bought Halo 3 without buying the system. It's a bigger number than you realize.

SiD

Smash Master
I don't know why you are so dead set on talking about Harry Potter, you don't defy me with anything, Halo 3 made more money than it did in 24 hours. That's a fact, so stop arguing.

Do you think being around longer will generate more sales? No.
170 million dollars in 24 hours will NOT KEEP UP for the next 20 months. After Christmas, the Halo 3 sales will slow down, gradually, and maintain a nice steady rhythm that'll allow Brawl to catch up to it and inevitably surpass it.

See how you contradict your earlier point?

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman
I don't know why you are so dead set on talking about Harry Potter, you don't defy me with anything, Halo 3 made more money than it did in 24 hours. That's a fact, so stop arguing.
You seem bent on thinking that money means it sold more. It didn't, so stop arguing.

See how you contradict your earlier point?
No, I don't. Brawl won't have the same sales as opening day, but it'll have a larger gradual following. It'll sell less in following months, but not as less as Halo. That's the ENTIRE **** POINT that we're trying to prove to you.

SiD

Smash Master
Yes, and that point has no basis. Melee didn't have a larger gradual following, since it sold less than Halo 2 with twice as much time. Brawl will most likely be no different.

And I never ****ing said it sold more, stop putting words in my mouth. It made more money, fact.

Kashakunaki

Smash Master
Umm... I may have just jumped in here at the last two pages... but KernelColonel seems 100% right in everything he's saying to me and I'd have to agree with him. Besides, he's actually backing up his statements with fact... you're just making off the wall points and statings facts and calling the results of such statements fact... not necessarily true.

I don't see what Harry Potter has to do with this, though, lol.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Christmas sales have always won. Nintendo is smart. Brawl has 2 HUGE waves coming for it:
  • The release date will be the first. We already know its going to be just as successful as Halo 3, mostly likely more popular being that more people own Wii's than they do 360s.
  • Black Friday will be just as, if not more successful than the release date. Because by then kids would have rented it, played it, parents heard it over and over that the kids want it, and they'll know by then if its a success, and go get rush to get it.
  • Not only Brawl, but Wii will be huge at Black Friday and Christmas time. Its still hard to find a Wii.... And Brawl will be a good game to buy for starters. The whole family can play Brawl.
Pretty much Black Friday and on will be a selling spree for Brawl.

What did Halo have? A very successful 1 time jump. By Christmas, everybody already has Halo 3. Sure, it might be cheaper around Christmas time, but Brawl will be newer.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Are you infering that Brawl will sell like Hotcakes on Black Friday? If so, that's BEFORE Brawl comes out.

If not... my apologizes.

EDIT: Ok, did some resource, and apparently, the term Black Friday is interchangeable. It is applied to the Friday after Thanksgiving AND the highest-selling day during the Christmas holiday... normally the Sat. before Christmas. NVM.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you infering that Brawl will sell like Hotcakes on Black Friday? If so, that's BEFORE Brawl comes out.

If not... my apologizes.

EDIT: Ok, did some resource, and apparently, the term Black Friday is interchangeable. It is applied to the Friday after Thanksgiving AND the highest-selling day during the Christmas holiday... normally the Sat. before Christmas. NVM.
Oh :p thats right. Black Friday does come before Brawl comes out... My bad. But, Wii's will be extremely popular for Black Friday I'm sure.

SiD

Smash Master
Umm... I may have just jumped in here at the last two pages... but KernelColonel seems 100% right in everything he's saying to me and I'd have to agree with him. Besides, he's actually backing up his statements with fact... you're just making off the wall points and statings facts and calling the results of such statements fact... not necessarily true.

I don't see what Harry Potter has to do with this, though, lol.
No, it's the opposite. He is trying to say that Brawl will sustain sales longer than Halo, after selling less initially. I have backed up my end with the FACT that Melee did not do this although it was out for twice as long as Halo 2.

So his argument has zero basis, while mine has quite a bit of evidence in my favor. And I don't know wtf it has to do with Harry Potter, Kernel just seems dead set on "proving" that Halo 3 didn't do/won't do well.

Objection!

Smash Rookie

And second, your theory is inherently flawed. Melee had what, 6 years to build up sales? Compare that to Halo 2's 3 years, and it shows that Smash does sell better over time than Halo does at all.
OBJECTION!

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Black Friday hmmm, I forgot about that, when is it? I might try to get a Wii or 360 during that time.

Anyway, Sid disproved the whole 'Brawl with sell better in the long run' theory. The only thing different this time is Wii is selling better than 360, not by much but it's selling better.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Black Friday hmmm, I forgot about that, when is it? I might try to get a Wii or 360 during that time.

Anyway, Sid disproved the whole 'Brawl with sell better in the long run' theory. The only thing different this time is Wii is selling better than 360, not by much but it's selling better.
It's the Friday after Thanksgiving... which is the 23rd, I think. Good luck, dude.

lavamage

Smash Ace
Wisconsin...yay that place no one has ever heard o
THE TRUTH

(Well, maybe not :laugh:)

I am not an XBOX fan, but I played Halo over by my friends house. It was not really all that great. Storyline, fine, gameplay, fine, graphics AMAZING, nothing extrodinary.

So why is it so popular?
Two words: Online Play
Multiplayer is one of the great things everyone is looking for in games now adays, and if a game lacks it, it could turn down some people.

No matter how you sugar coat it: XBOX Online>Nintendo Online

Why is that?
I have no clue on prices, but Microsoft CHARGES you to play online. That extra income allows them to hire more staff to make better games and more improvments to make their online as succsesful as possible.

SSBB
Not much for a storyline, not much for an adventure mode (compared to anyother game), good Graphics, but no where near Halo's

+
Lots of characters
Lots of stages/different locations to play on
Lots of ways to play, with many different combos to try
Tons of collectables

-
Storyline, its nice that it has a featured one, but its not amazing or anything
Online play-Voice chat would be nice (Don't ask me how they would do it), being able to know who you are fighting would be a nice addition
Not much other hype, no commercials (I think)
The first Smash was "kiddie" and made "real gamers" stay away from the series

So what makes the big difference?
Mostly Online play, and the fact that it doesn't have out side ads, but still

I think it will be a much closer race than people think. We will probably have to wait a few months because Christmas screws everything up.

(I probably made so many speelign mitsakes taht its not even funy)

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
THE TRUTH

I am not an XBOX fan, but I played Halo over by my friends house. It was not really all that great. Storyline, fine, gameplay, fine, graphics AMAZING, nothing extrodinary.

So why is it so popular?
Multiplayer is one of the great things everyone is looking for in games now adays, and if a game lacks it, it could turn down some people.

Why is that?
I have no clue on prices, but Microsoft CHARGES you to play online. That extra income allows them to hire more staff to make better games and more improvments to make their online as succsesful as possible.

SSBB
Not much for a storyline, not much for an adventure mode (compared to anyother game), good Graphics, but no where near Halo's

+
Lots of characters
Tons of collectables

-
Online play-Voice chat would be nice (Don't ask me how they would do it), being able to know who you are fighting would be a nice addition

I think it will be a much closer race than people think. We will probably have to wait a few months because Christmas screws everything up.

Who really cares? I mean, they are games. We play games we LOVE. I like Brawl, you like Halo. Go play halo.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
THE TRUTH

So why is it so popular?

Why is that?

SSBB

+
Lots of characters
Tons of collectables

-

Halo games doesn't have much storyline either. How is the first Smash is kiddy compared to Melee anyway? Oh and real gamers? Are you saying that if we don't like Halo, we're not gamers?

But I do agree, online is what makes the game awesome.

SiD

Smash Master
Who really cares? I mean, they are games. We play games we LOVE. I like Brawl, you like Halo. Go play halo.
That's all well and good, but if you don't think this discussion is relevant feel free to stop reading it. Obviously some of us do care, so don't knock us for it.

EDIT: To the guy above me, saying Halo doesn't have much storyline shows you haven't played much Halo.

BTW, I love Halo and Smash, but that's not what this is about, this is about which will sell more, and all evidence points to that it will be Halo.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
That's all well and good, but if you don't think this discussion is relevant feel free to stop reading it. Obviously some of us do care, so don't knock us for it.

EDIT: To the guy above me, saying Halo doesn't have much storyline shows you haven't played much Halo.

BTW, I love Halo and Smash, but that's not what this is about, this is about which will sell more, and all evidence points to that it will be Halo.
Whatever... for storyline. book > game

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Uhh....I suggest you retract that statement right there before you get shot down with rifles.

That's 170 million dollars, not copies.
lol 170 million copies would be completely different the ps2 sold like 100million consoles in its life cycle and that was like the best selling console ever, now all we need is another 70 million and then everyone who owns one has to buy the game.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
lol 170 million copies would be completely different the ps2 sold like 100million consoles in its life cycle and that was like the best selling console ever, now all we need is another 70 million and then everyone who owns one has to buy the game.
Lol! 170 millions, more sold than the Xbox360 itself. :p

I don't know if it's true or not but it looks like it.

Magnacor

Smash Ace
Worldwide basis=Brawl
USA=Halo

Why is that so? Because Halo is the only good game on the Xbox so everyone will buy it and Americans need carnage and violence to have fun nowadays. I guess the days when games with monkey's flying on jet-packs shooting exploding peanuts was fun, have passed. *sigh*

Top Bottom