• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So based on two games you haven't played, including one that nobody has played, you assume Halo is the same but Brawl will be different? That's what we call "fanboyism".
QFT.

That's the point I tried to make earlier.

300 million in one week of sales= Halo wins

By the way people, quot comparing Halo to Smash. When you look at both games from the opposite side of the spectrum, they may only appear to be aesthetics, but it's way more. I have Halo 3, and honestly, it's an amazing game with a great physics engine that everyone can enjoy. These games have no relative control scheme or play, so comparing them is like "Apples and Oranges".

I may love Smash more, but I hate fanboys that think they know it all just from watching a game.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
One point I forgot to mention:

It's easier for Smash to be change. It's very easy to add or change mechanics in a fighter whereas shooters are more limited.

nuro

Smash Lord
Is it the end of the world if I buy both games? Will I grow taller if I buy Halo? Will buying SSBB make me more intelligent? - No.

Who cares if one sells more than the other. It's not like Bunji is at war with Sora.

Max780

Smash Apprentice
Overall easily Brawl ,but launch Day Halo 3 considering Halo 3 was a Worldwide launch and SSBB won't be.

Ryudragon29

Smash Journeyman
Sadly this thread is filled with fanboys from both sides, I guess it was to be expected from a vs thread from two popular franchises. :/

*wonders why mods haven't locked it yet*

SoS Pure

Smash Rookie
Halo: Copy and paste everything from Halo 2, add a couple uncreative maps and weapons, spruce up the graphics, and replace Halo 2's story mode with Halo 3's.

Brawl: Improve old characters, add new ones, add new combat tactics, implement many different story modes into a collective plot, include plenty of nostalgia from previous titles with brand new elements.
Coming from a brawl fanboy im guessing. I have a 360 and a wii and i have halo 3 and am getting brawl. Halo 3 is more of the competitive game. not that brawl isnt. Brawl will just be competitive in the way it has been for all the other super smash bros games. I think of ssb as more of a really super addicting fun game to play with your friends and in small fun tourniments and stuff.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Coming from a brawl fanboy im guessing.

Perhaps, but what is he wrong about? I've heard people who have NO interest in a Nintendo system refer to Halo 3 as "Halo 2.5". I've heard that the AI is terrible, and all of the other criticisms seem pretty valid from what I've seen. It really doesn't look VASTLY different than Halo or Halo 2.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
*sigh* Fanboys...

I'm tired of saying this: if you bias yourself against something you're going to nippick at every shortcoming, even if it isn't that bad.

Terrible AI: Have you guys played Adventure mode in Melee? Most enemies have basic AI that makes them move up or down and left or right. I'm sorry but that's blatant fanboyism right there.

Story: SSB64 had none Melee had little to none. Halo's story [however bad or good it was] trumps SSB's non-existent story.

I could go on and on, especially about the difference between the sequels in each series but it makes no sense since I'm comparing apples to oranges.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I worded that wrong, I should have said bad or good. From what I've heard it wasn't good but I'd never know because my friend [who is the only one I know with H1 and 2] has the attention span of a 4 year old on a nothing but sugar diet.

I'll fix it.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I think you'll be pleasantly suprised with Halo 3 Arteen, most of those problems were addressed. Probably the best part is that it has varied environments, but still lots of wide open and huge battles like Halo 1. The campaign is definitely my favorite in the series.
Awesome, thanks! I'm glad to hear it. In a week I'll finally get my chance to play it.

Anyways, Halo 3 is probably awesome, Brawl will probably be awesome, and it will be doubly awesome for anyone who likes both types of games.

Star105

Smash Journeyman
sigh......................................................

what the heck is up with this thread?

alright we are arguing over which game will sell better................ in a board where we discuss one of the games.............

this seems ......... idiotic (silently apologizes to any one who has a valid argument)

oh well the game isn't even out yet and people are assuming that halo3 is going to sell worse or better that Brawl and forming theories for that........

i too am wondering y the mods haven't closed this thread............. maybe they see no legitimate reason to lock or delete it?

also both games have great capabilities for their genres and fans. also they both have things that appeal to all types of gamers and both have customizable settings.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
They're both awesome games, but different genres. Halo 3 = Microsoft
SSBB = Nintendo

Microsoft = Big
Nintendo = Big

Nintendo Fans = pretty big
Microsoft Fans = really big

microsoft fans > nintendo fans

fps > other

common sense = ANSWER!

SiD

Smash Master
sigh......................................................

what the heck is up with this thread?

alright we are arguing over which game will sell better................ in a board where we discuss one of the games.............

this seems ......... idiotic (silently apologizes to any one who has a valid argument)

oh well the game isn't even out yet and people are assuming that halo3 is going to sell worse or better that Brawl and forming theories for that........

i too am wondering y the mods haven't closed this thread............. maybe they see no legitimate reason to lock or delete it?

also both games have great capabilities for their genres and fans. also they both have things that appeal to all types of gamers and both have customizable settings.
But this isn't a thread about what's better, it's about what will sell better. It is easy to make intelligent assumptions about which will sell better, because that depends very little on how good the games are, nor does it matter if they both are out yet. Judging by market trends and past games in the series, we can argue which will sell better fairly.

Of course, most of the people on here seem to be fanboys. But some of us are making legitimate points. That's not idiotic. You want idiocy? Look at 80% of the other threads in the Brawl forum.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
*sigh* Fanboys...

I'm tired of saying this: if you bias yourself against something you're going to nippick at every shortcoming, even if it isn't that bad.

Terrible AI: Have you guys played Adventure mode in Melee? Most enemies have basic AI that makes them move up or down and left or right. I'm sorry but that's blatant fanboyism right there.

Story: SSB64 had none Melee had little to none. Halo's story [however bad or good it was] trumps SSB's non-existent story.

I could go on and on, especially about the difference between the sequels in each series but it makes no sense since I'm comparing apples to oranges.

Like I said, the guy giving these criticisms is decidedly NOT a fanboy. If anything, he's pro-Xbox/PS and anti-Wii. And his criticisms had nothing to do with Smash Bros, so I don't know why you brought that game up. His criticisms had to do with the differences between Halo games, as well as what he felt to be disappointing AI, among both enemies and allies (such as allies driving a vehicle into a wall while he was on the back manning the gun). Again, not sure what that has to do with Melee's adventure mode.

SiD

Smash Master
Like I said, the guy giving these criticisms is decidedly NOT a fanboy. If anything, he's pro-Xbox/PS and anti-Wii. And his criticisms had nothing to do with Smash Bros, so I don't know why you brought that game up. His criticisms had to do with the differences between Halo games, as well as what he felt to be disappointing AI, among both enemies and allies (such as allies driving a vehicle into a wall while he was on the back manning the gun). Again, not sure what that has to do with Melee's adventure mode.
Because this is a thread about Halo and SSB....

And you are a fanboy. You haven't played either of them, but you have your mind made up already.

Purely about Halo 3, the AI is actually really good. They are terrible drivers, but other than that they're good both allies and enemies.

And if your friend thinks there are no differences between them, thinks Halo 3 is "Halo 2.5", my only assumption can be that he is a Nintendo or Sony fanboy, or he's just stupid.

Red Exodus

Smash Master

My post wasn't about your post, I would have quoted you or specified if it was, that was a post regarding the general bias fanboys have.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Because this is a thread about Halo and SSB....

And you are a fanboy. You haven't played either of them, but you have your mind made up already.

Purely about Halo 3, the AI is actually really good. They are terrible drivers, but other than that they're good both allies and enemies.

And if your friend thinks there are no differences between them, thinks Halo 3 is "Halo 2.5", my only assumption can be that he is a Nintendo or Sony fanboy, or he's just stupid.
Yes, I am a fanboy. However, I HAVE played Halo 1 and 2, and while I found them to be somewhat fun, I stand by my criticisms of them 100%. It's possibly the most overrated series ever. And I'm not saying that as a complete brainwashed Nintendo fanboy. I also like Blizzard and Harmonix :-p

error_alt_delete

Smash Champion
brawl is imo the better world wide game, and it will be less frowned apon by parents than halo 3( you know the insainly strict ones) so it will be open to the younger audiance. and as said earlier japan realy doesnt like halo, so this will greatly help brawl on the world wide scale. I think it is open to a wider audiance in a wider spectrum and this equals a wider sales number.

PaperDream

Smash Apprentice
Halo 3 will probably have more sales at least for a while, but I think Brawl will catch up, and it'll be pretty close.

On the other hand I think Brawl will have a lot more staying power, because it'll be played up until the next Smash Bros is released.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
And Halo won't [if there is a sequel]? Halo [as well as most xbox games] gets down loadable content while Wii games don't get squat. Technically Bungie could keep making updates forever as long as they want [they won't, but theoretically speaking they could].

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, now that Sonic is in Brawl, and he's the biggest thing to hit Brawl since.... Brawl, something tells me that Brawl is leaning more on the winning side. ALSO, Nintendo has delayed the release day to who knows when. Sure they don't have the Christmas sales, (or, we don't know that yet), but do you know what this means? More anticipation for fans. Brawl seems more likely to win this little war.

And since more people own Wii's than 360s, it will sell more.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Well, now that Sonic is in Brawl, and he's the biggest thing to hit Brawl since.... Brawl, something tells me that Brawl is leaning more on the winning side. ALSO, Nintendo has delayed the release day to who knows when. Sure they don't have the Christmas sales, (or, we don't know that yet), but do you know what this means? More anticipation for fans. Brawl seems more likely to win this little war.

And since more people own Wii's than 360s, it will sell more.
The only thing is, the delay hurts the whole thing it was going for at first...Christmas sales. But I'm sure it's still gonna sell like hotcakes.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
The only thing is, the delay hurts the whole thing it was going for at first...Christmas sales. But I'm sure it's still gonna sell like hotcakes.
Yep, Christmas was the big thing, but who knows when they delayed it to. Maybe its still in December, more towards the end? We'll see.

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Yep, Christmas was the big thing, but who knows when they delayed it to. Maybe its still in December, more towards the end? We'll see.
Huh... you're a woman? Darn misguiding avatars... lol.

Well, I don't want to be the downer... (it's what I'm known for in Louisiana. lol.) so, let's all hope for December!

blayde_axel

Smash Master
Darn straight! Female smashers FTW!
Reminds me of that one Meet and Greet thread... something like

"Hi, I'm a girl that needs attention! PLEASE, GIVE IT TO ME!"

So horrible... lol.

Anyway, off topic. After this, I'm going to have to say... Halo's still gonna sell more. But Smash is still going to be close. And if it does sell more...

Nintendo's won. Seriously.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
If "won" means sold out then yes Nintendo has "won".

Nintendo is riding on motion sensing and casual gamers, without them they would be in a mess.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't see Sony trying to get my Mom to play something like Wiifit, there's a difference. At least Sony is not putting their all into a bunch of casual gamers that don't even know what a gamecube is.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
If "won" means sold out then yes Nintendo has "won".

Nintendo is riding on motion sensing and casual gamers, without them they would be in a mess.

So this is selling out? Do you have any idea where the video game industry would be without Nintendo? Think of all the input innovations that have been made in the last 20 years - the diamond layout of special buttons, shoulder buttons, analog control, force feedback, accelerometers and IR motion sensing - how many of them were first seen on a Nintendo system then copied by the competitors? Sony and Microsoft are successful at what they do, but they don't innovate like Nintendo does. They just go for mass market appeal by saturating their systems with games in certain genres (sports andshooters/military special ops games), and throwing enormous sums of money into developing state of the art hardware. Nintendo showed some HUGE balls with the Wii, and it paid off big for them. It's not "selling out", it's what they've always done.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Nintendo 20 years ago =/= Nintendo now

Back then Nintendo had gems, now Nintendo has ports and god awful casual games that can't last a day.

Of course, people that supported Nintendo before Wii are screwed because Nintendo wants Wii to be for everyone, which will mean games will be boiled down to a unbelievably ****ty level. We will still have our 1st parties but outside of that we aren't going to see much.

If Nintendo was doing what they've always done they would be in dead last, like the other times.

EDIT: Since Brawl is TBA again [thank you for raising hopes for nothing Sakurai/Nintendo] people who were going to get Brawl might just pick in some extra cash and get Halo 3. Wii has just lost a ton of appeal, what point will it be buying a Wii for christmas if all you to buy are PS2 ports and god awful casual games?

SiD

Smash Master
While I agree with you mostly Red Exodus, what do you mean "like the other times"? The were only in dead last for the Gamecube I thought? And that was mostly I think because of HORRIBLE third party support.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't think N64 did well, from Ps1 onwards it went downhill till DS showed up, which is another casual magnet.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Yeah... N64 did ok, and the SNES won its battle with Genesis and is now regarded as the greatest video game system ever...

I still maintain that Nintendo did not "sell out" at all with the Wii. Selling out is deviating from what you do to give the public what it wants (and thus cash in on easy money). Nintendo didn't do that at all; they took a huge risk and in doing so arguably went back to their roots, i.e., making it all about the games rather than state of the art technology. If the Wii hadn't been successful, what Nintendo did would have been the exact opposite of "selling out".

SiD

Smash Master
No, they didn't go back to their roots at all. It's not exactly selling out, more like a slap in the face. Nintendo is a business, and they made the Wii such a casual system to make money. It worked for them, but it shows they care more about money then their fans, way more, which while not suprising still sucks.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
So the fact that every game they're focusing on has the prefix 'Wii' has nothing to do with it?

If I was a Nintendo fanboy right about now I'd be very pissed. It's sad to see people put so much faith in a company that just have the company turn it's back to them. Nintendo's online is the biggest insult of all, it's bad enough they never bothered with it in the past [except for one game, can you say '********'?] but when they finally do go online they make it to protect kids and casual gamers [who they are now targeting, mind you] too ******** to avoid internet predators?

So sad.

Top Bottom