• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

SiD

Smash Master
Maxpower said:
Nintendo showed some HUGE balls with the Wii
It's just like Red Exodus was saying, that's actually the opposite of what they did. This is most obvious with their online, but even just the stupid warning screen before every game shows you that they only care about pleasing idiots and making money, not making their actual fans happy.

Norm

Smash Lord
NNID
Sheldon86
Halo 3 will sell better because not only will halo fan boys buy halo 3 FPS fans will and people who just like the halo franchize along with other games.

dinhotheone

Smash Apprentice
aside from the current conversation about selling out or w/e, how long was smash bros brawl on the gamecube top 20 seller list? 3 years was it?! thats a game thats in it for the long haul. after the initial fanboys get their halo 3, no ones gona buy the game, however the smashbros series has shown us that it has a ton of staying power.

SiD

Smash Master
aside from the current conversation about selling out or w/e, how long was smash bros brawl on the gamecube top 20 seller list? 3 years was it?! thats a game thats in it for the long haul. after the initial fanboys get their halo 3, no ones gona buy the game, however the smashbros series has shown us that it has a ton of staying power.
If that were true than why would Halo 2 sell more than Melee in 3 years, while Melee had 6?

VKris

Smash Cadet
Halo 3. I have it. I have both other Halos and I have both other smashs. All the games were fun...but when deciding between "SSBM or Halo 2" it was a hard decision. Usually, I'd choose halo 2 because i can play with more friends at the same time. The games are very very different though. I personally think halo 3 is gonna own (everything for a long time). Since I don't have a wii, and I'm not getting one for one game, I'm making my friend buy Brawl, and I'll live at his house for a little bit I guess:p. I'm not saying Brawl is a bad game, because man I can't believe how great it's going to be. Unfortunately, Halo 3 is better. Still, I can't believe Sonic is IN!!! WOOT.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Din your point has been brought up and disproven. As SiD said Melee was out for longer than Halo 2 yet Halo 2 had more sales.

Darn it SiD beat me to it.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
It's just like Red Exodus was saying, that's actually the opposite of what they did. This is most obvious with their online, but even just the stupid warning screen before every game shows you that they only care about pleasing idiots and making money, not making their actual fans happy.

So "making fans happy" and "making money" are mutually exclusive now?

Nintendo has always been about innovating, particularly with the game input. Up to the N64, every system made some kind of innovation related to the game-to-human interface. The analog stick, the rumble pak, the Virtual Boy, the Super Scope (kinda), shoulder buttons, etc. The Wii was just more of that. They were not "selling out", just refusing to exacerbate Sony/Microsoft's hijacking of the industry that has made success more about technological power than gameplay and innovation.

richie137

Smash Cadet
this is my take on that, in the US I think HALO 3, has a big fansite, (but it will be close) now of the World, I think its Smash Bros, because HALO is not as popular in Japan, and some parts of the world.

SiD

Smash Master
So "making fans happy" and "making money" are mutually exclusive now?

Nintendo has always been about innovating, particularly with the game input. Up to the N64, every system made some kind of innovation related to the game-to-human interface. The analog stick, the rumble pak, the Virtual Boy, the Super Scope (kinda), shoulder buttons, etc. The Wii was just more of that. They were not "selling out", just refusing to exacerbate Sony/Microsoft's hijacking of the industry that has made success more about technological power than gameplay and innovation.
No, your wrong. First of all, Nintendo was NOT the first to use an analog stick. I don't kknow about the other things, but still. It's not about the system itself, stop putting words in my mouth. It's about they're games being almost exclusively shallow casual games, they're online service being a pusyfest just to avoid *****y housewives complaining, all to make money. They've practically left their real, gamer fans in the dust.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
No, your* wrong. First of all, Nintendo was NOT the first to use an analog stick. I don't kknow about the other things, but still. It's not about the system itself, stop putting words in my mouth. It's about they're games being almost exclusively shallow casual games, they're** online service being a pusyfest just to avoid *****y housewives complaining, all to make money. They've practically left their real, gamer fans in the dust.
You're*

their**

So, how is Nintendo making money off of that FREE internet service again? And how is Nintendo responsible for "shallow casual" games coming from 3rd parties? What about Nintendo's 1st party games? Twilight Princess? Super Paper Mario? Corruption? Mario Galaxy? Brawl? Are these "shallow, casual" games that you're complaining about? If so, I'll take them.

SiD

Smash Master
So they've made a few games that aren't shallow, that's true. But look at how much emphasis they've put on things like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, very little on real games. And don't try and tell me Nintendo didn't intend for those type of games to come from third parties, they knew it would happen, cause those games sell.

And again, you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say they make money off of their online service, I said it sucks and is unacceptable, they only did it to avoid any potential bad publicity from people they shouldn't be worrying about. THey made their online to please moms and to be used by 4 year olds, not for real gamers. PSO had better online on the GC, 5 years ago.

And don't correct my grammar, you sound like a jacksas when you do that.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
So they've made a few games that aren't shallow, that's true. But look at how much emphasis they've put on things like Wii Sports and Wii Fit, very little on real games. And don't try and tell me Nintendo didn't intend for those type of games to come from third parties, they knew it would happen, cause those games sell.
Nintendo stresses games like Wii Fit and Wii Sports because they are geared to the more casual gamers. Gamers like us don't need their sales pitches. We are much more aware of the industry through sites like IGN and Gamespot. We get our information just fine without their added advertising. It's the people who are new to gaming that need to be made aware of what's out there.

And again, you're putting words in my mouth. I didn't say they make money off of their online service, I said it sucks and is unacceptable, they only did it to avoid any potential bad publicity from people they shouldn't be worrying about. THey made their online to please moms and to be used by 4 year olds, not for real gamers. PSO had better online on the GC, 5 years ago.
It kinda seemed that way:

they're** online service being a pusyfest just to avoid *****y housewives complaining, all to make money.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Max you called flagship series, those have been around since forever. Without them there would be no Nintendo, which means by not making those games they would stand to lose a lot of support for what's left of their fans.

Note how Nintendo was that one that started the casual trend, 3rd parties looking for a quick buck simply followed their awful lead.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Nintendo sell over 7 million VC games, that's a lot of VC games, they're making money but it's not showing at all.

Again here's more evidence of their ******** casual trend:
You can only store VC games on your Wii, you can't store it on your SD card which means you have to make sure those 512MB work for the VC games you want. If you run out of space you have 2 ridiculous options: Delete games [you lose all data in the game when you do this] or stop buying games.

Why not make a hard drive for the Wii? As far as Nintendo knows casual gamers have lots of space so there's no need.

Need I say more?

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Again here's more evidence of their ******** casual trend:
You can only store VC games on your Wii, you can't store it on your SD card which means you have to make sure those 512MB work for the VC games you want. If you run out of space you have 2 ridiculous options: Delete games [you lose all data in the game when you do this] or stop buying games.

Why not make a hard drive for the Wii? As far as Nintendo knows casual gamers have lots of space so there's no need.

Need I say more?

That sounds more like a gross oversight than any deliberate attempt to give the finger to hardcore gamers. What purpose would it serve? If games could be saved to your SD card people would be likely to download more games, and thus spend more money.

(As it stands though, you can redownload things that you buy and subsequently delete)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
We shouldn't have to delete games to make space. I don't know about you but with me once I lose all of my data I almost never want to do it all over again unless the game is really good like Tales of Symphonia or Melee.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Err... ok? I guess you're right. Nintendo is trying to make money by... losing fans.

I'm still getting all the games I want, and Metroid Prime 3 was AMAZING with the Wii controls if I do say so myself... I'm pretty happy with what they're done.

SiD

Smash Master
Err... ok? I guess you're right. Nintendo is trying to make money by... losing fans.

I'm still getting all the games I want, and Metroid Prime 3 was AMAZING with the Wii controls if I do say so myself... I'm pretty happy with what they're done.
Nintendo is trying to make money by getting other people to buy games, losing fans in the process but selling more Wii's nonetheless. You named what, 5 games that are good for the Wii? Look at the other systems, particularly the 360, and you'll see why the Wii is trumped in having games actually worth playing for more than a day, plus it and the PS3 have competant online systems.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
They're also a lot more expensive... can't have it both ways.

What Nintendo is doing is very ballsy, and ultimately very good for the company. If they rake in the money from this system and get a new generation of people into gaming, they can presumably use that money for R&D on the next system, making it more technologically advanced while preserving the revolutionary aspects of the Wii. The Wii may not have 300 games worth buying, but I only buy up to a few games a year anyway. Sony/MS's systems seem to be flooded with mediocre games.

And it's not Nintendo's fault if 3rd parties mess up by making gimmicky use of the Wii controls or churning out cheap games. Hopefully those will improve over time as developers get accustomed to the system.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Nintendo is casting their net too wide and losing valuable customers, customers that will buy in to Nintendo so long as there's as long as their name is on it.

If Sony or MS were to make a system comparable in price and use motion sensing and casual gamers the same way Nintendo is doing now back when next gen started they would be in trouble.

EDIT: Don't bet on it Max, Ubisoft said they're going to use the profits from Wii games to support MS and Sony games. If other companies get this idea Wii will just be a white, very slim gamecube with a bunch of casual gamers huddled around motion sensing.

PS3 and 360 are getting better 3rd parties than Wii is, if their 3rd parties are mediocre Wi's must be god awful.

SiD

Smash Master
No, it won't, because Nintendo has set a trend that casual gimmicky games sell. They did it with the DS, and took it to a new level with the Wii. IT's not ballsy, it's all about profits. Sure, it's good for the company, but it's bad for us.

The other systems have alot of mediocre games, but they also have alot of great games too, way more than the Wii. At least the 360 does anyway. The Wii is flooded with crappy games, a few mediocre games, and a few good ones. That's not right.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Meh, Wii's sell 5 to one to the PS3 in Japan, from what I hear. Moving on to the actual Topic, SSB is the hottest Game Nintendo has, and having these guest stars are really helping the fan base. SSB may win by sheer fanboyism, but it also has great gameplay and awesome game modes to play off of. America will be a tight race, Japan and other places... there is no competition. Brawl for the Win.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Ok here's the list:

• Avatar: The Last Airbender - casual
  • Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII - middle
  • Blitz: The League - ??
  • Call of Duty 3 - Hardcore
  • Cars - casual
  • Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 - middle
  • Elebits - casual
  • Excite Truck - casual [I'd buy it]
  • Far Cry - middle/hardcore
  • GT Pro Series - casual
  • The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess - hardcore
  • Madden NFL 07 - middle [360 and ps3 versions are hardcore due to online]
  • Marvel: Ultimate Alliance - middle
  • Metal Slug Anthology - hardcore
  • Monster 4x4 World Circuit - casual
  • Need for Speed: Carbon - middle
  • Open Season - casual
  • Rayman Raving Rabbids - casual
  • Red Steel - casual
  • SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab - casual
  • Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz - casual
  • Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam - casual
  • Trauma Center: Second Opinion - casual
  • Wii Sports - casual
More casuals than anything else and most of these casuals aren't worth picking up.

Papapaint

Just your average kind of Luigi.
Meh, Wii's sell 5 to one to the PS3 in Japan, from what I hear. Moving on to the actual Topic, SSB is the hottest Game Nintendo has, and having these guest stars are really helping the fan base. SSB may win by sheer fanboyism, but it also has great gameplay and awesome game modes to play off of. America will be a tight race, Japan and other places... there is no competition. Brawl for the Win.
Brawl is not going to outsell Halo in the U.S.

Halo 3 set a new day-one entertainment record (previously held by Halo 2), and has sold over 2 million units to this day. The holiday season isn't terribly close, and that'll be another nice-sized wave of sales for H3.

Smash is an incredible game. One of my favorites. Halo 3 is also one of the best games I've ever played. Halo 3 also set quite a few bars, particularly in the realm of multiplayer and online play, and Nintendo's internet is miles behind.

Sadly, I don't think this fight will even be close.

SiD

Smash Master
While I agree, I just wanted to point out that Halo 2 wasn't the previous holder, it was either Harry Potter or Spiderman 3, not sure which.

Papapaint

While I agree, I just wanted to point out that Halo 2 wasn't the previous holder, it was either Harry Potter or Spiderman 3, not sure which.
No, those were the previous holders for weekend entertainments. Halo 2 held day 1 entertainment records.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Majority of games for all systems suck ***. That is the truth. All systems have casual games, but Wii has the most "non gamer" games. Xbox and PS3 have mostly ****ty gamer joe games.

How many good games do you know for the PS3? Not many right? Why is there good games for the Xbox360? It was obvious that "hardcore" gamers (really gamer joe) would buy this system compared to the PS3 and all third parties thought that Wii would lose so why bother and make some really bad budget games. They see the Wii as a success and then think it is these "non gamers" and "casuals" who want to play it and keep releasing crap. We might start to see good games next year when third parties realize that there is a viable market for traditonal games. Gah, third party companies really suck ***.

Actually, the whole ****ing industry sucks ***. Screw everything about the gaming industry. I am suprised that the NES generation and SNES generation was so good and that the 3D generation was decent by how all these companies think/act.

Papapaint

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6179914.html

For movies, you measure their opening weekend, as only so many people can be in a theater at one time. And like I said, Harry Potter Day 1 still beat Halo 2.
No, you don't. Limited availability does not stretch time. Day one means day one.

Also, very few of those Harry Potter books were sold at full price.

SiD

Smash Master
Very few? You're just assuming that.

And yes, you do. You always hear of opening weekends for movies, not day one. Virtually unlimited copies of software can be sold all at once. Limited availability because of literal physical limits does change it. It was the biggest launch in history, launch. Day one isn't a fair comparison across all mediums.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
sonic should help brawl's cause... alas it still probably can't take down the monster that is halo

Papapaint

Very few? You're just assuming that.

And yes, you do. You always hear of opening weekends for movies, not day one. Virtually unlimited copies of software can be sold all at once. Limited availability because of literal physical limits does change it. It was the biggest launch in history, launch. Day one isn't a fair comparison across all mediums.
No, I'm not. Check the NPD sales reports and do the math.

And no, when you say "This set a record for day-one entertainment sales," you're referring to "day-one." As in one. day.

If it's a matter of limited supply, then the Wii by far wins the prize, as it hasn't stopped being sold out since its release.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
Majority of games for all systems suck ***. That is the truth. All systems have casual games, but Wii has the most "non gamer" games. Xbox and PS3 have mostly ****ty gamer joe games.

How many good games do you know for the PS3? Not many right? Why is there good games for the Xbox360? It was obvious that "hardcore" gamers (really gamer joe) would buy this system compared to the PS3 and all third parties thought that Wii would lose so why bother and make some really bad budget games. They see the Wii as a success and then think it is these "non gamers" and "casuals" who want to play it and keep releasing crap. We might start to see good games next year when third parties realize that there is a viable market for traditonal games. Gah, third party companies really suck ***

Finally, a voice of reason.

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
I know that this thread is old, but I just want to post and say now that I've played both Brawl and Halo. Brawl is better. Easier to learn, more fun in groups, its just.... hands down, it will sell better. No doubt about that. Sales don't always determine the quality of the game, but in this case, methinks it does. Everybody wants their hands on this game.

Top Bottom