• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, you can't say its sold better because Japan is the only country that has it now. Wait till the world gets it and then you can state your sentence again, if its correct at all.

And are we basing sales on a week or day release or what? Not sure if that was clarified in this thread or not.

Plus with all the delays and anticipation, it very well could make a comeback.

brawlmaniac

Smash Lord
I'm going to be the Renegade here and say Brawl. And my opinion is going to be based on the growing Wii sells. The Wii is making a killing in markets every where and ****** PS3 and Xbox360 sells. Wii buyers are going to want a deep game and the games popularity will shift them to brawl. Also Snake fanboys might be drawn to Brawl. Halo will in no doubt in my mind be bought by all Xbox 360 owners. However from what i've seen Brawl has been in more popular disscussion that even Halo fans got in the midst of. Kiddie it may have been seen as in The 64 days but that imagine was changed in melee and the darker elements in Brawl will for sho bring an older adience to a greater scale. Which ultmately is Brawl's strong point, it has a much more distributed fanbase than Halo ever will. Even If Halo 3 gets better sales at first, I have no doubt that Brawl's overall sales will crush Halo.

And lets remember the one thing that determines whether Smash is better or not,.....Online. It's why Melee lost back then and why Brawl will succeed this time around.

Don't criticize me for my viewpoint, I'm not going with the crowd on this one. someone has to stand for brawl.
Great post. I agree with everything you mentioned here.

RyjinX

Smash Apprentice
I can't stand Halo anymore but it will still sell more than SSBB due to the fact of the reported shortages in Japan. Not sure how it's going to be over here in the states, but it still will be a ridiculously high selling game. You never know it might be insane and out sell halo in it's first week.

Best101

Smash Ace
Well, you can't say its sold better because Japan is the only country that has it now. Wait till the world gets it and then you can state your sentence again, if its correct at all.

And are we basing sales on a week or day release or what? Not sure if that was clarified in this thread or not.

Plus with all the delays and anticipation, it very well could make a comeback.
This is a year old thread

Habanero Pepper

Smash Apprentice
hmm, I'm not seeing how thi swill happen. At least if we base it off of First Day sales. That's because it would be determined off of those who reserved copies as opposed to just walk ins. I'd be more inclined to say that it may do better within two weeks to one month. Of course, considering how horribly Halo sold in Japan, it wouln't suprise me if combined sales world wide will outclass Halo3.

Biorhythm

Smash Rookie
Sorry to bump, but.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUST27165520080212

Thats just in Japan... methinks, Halo lost.
Halo 3 got well over a million sales in the first day.

Halo 1 sold 5 million copies

Halo 2 sold 6.3 million just in the US; 8 million worldwide.

Super Smash Bros Melee sold 6+ million worldwide.

Melee had 6 years to get all those sales, whereas Halo 2 had three.

If history keeps up this trend, Halo 3 will still lead in sales.

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace

Brawl thogh has officially become thge most anticipated game and even players who don't play smash or even know it exist want brawl and i know that almost everyone at my school wants brawl even the spanish people who don't speak english (No offense to anyone i'm spanish my self) want brawl the people who work in Microsoft want Brawl to so it most likely will be bigger than Halo 3

Flamin Roy

Smash Ace

Brawl thogh has officially become the most anticipated game and even players who don't play smash or even know it exist want brawl and i know that almost everyone at my school wants brawl even the spanish people who don't speak english (No offense to anyone i'm spanish my self) want brawl the people who work in Microsoft want Brawl to so it most likely will be bigger than Halo 3

ConeZone

Smash Ace
boo to halo...smash has more diversity, more music, more characters, better 1player, better pretty much everything. but i don't need to look at sales stats to tell me which is the better game. smash bros. has always been the better series, and brawl is the better game.

Mario77

Smash Apprentice

Yeah but, Waaay more people had X Boxes than Gamecubes, now more people have Wiis than X boxes,

I still think Halo is gona have more sales though =P

Tofu Beast

Smash Ace
Halo 3 broke records for the most revenue on opening day. This is mainly because the games cost 60 dollars, and many people bought the 80 or 120 dollar limited editions. Smash bros. most likely will not beat this record, but it has the potential to sell more copies in NA on opening day. Also take note that Halo 3 was launched worldwide on one day, while smash bros has different release dates for each region.

illphil

Smash Apprentice
SSBB most likely won't surpass Halo3 in sales because Halo has been much more hyped. That doesn't mean Halo is a better game though

TBL_Luis

Smash Apprentice
Opening Day Sales: No, Halo was mass-advertised and full of hype, Brawl has the hype, but none of the ads, so Halo will always beat Smash in this area.

Overall: Of course it will, this is the most anticipated game ever, in my opinion, and so many people have Wii's, since there is always a shortage, so overall Brawl will win.

In the US alone: Now that's a tough one. Halo's fanbase is mostly American and the US is full of Halo fan-boys, but so is the US for Brawl, so I really can't decide, although I think I will go for Halo, unfortunately.

In Japan alone: Halo 3 in Japan was nothing really, Brawl is a huge epic deal in Japan, Brawl wins this.

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
Way to call him on it early in the thread

Idiot
I see...

He posted it first, and then i posted it around 3 months later. That still doesn't make sense, nobody locked my thread becuase of ''This topic already exists'' So i had no idea, how was i supposed to know when this thread was way off the charts, that I was coping someone else.

I hope we can solve this peacefuly

I also saw that you were a n00b but really joined earlier, so when i saw ''Smash n00b'' as your title you could see how easily i got pissed for you posting the same topic, while i had no idea that I was really coping you. I apologise.

Ti11erTheKi11er

Smash Apprentice
I played halo 1 or 2 about then times i bought the 3rd one and i thought it was meh not that great and people that i know that played halo 2 and 1 alot thinks 3 was an upset

But i not sure about who will sell more i hope brawl beats them! but the wii shortages gonna hurt !

syvertsen

Smash Rookie
Sorry to bump, but.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUST27165520080212

Thats just in Japan... methinks, Halo lost.
Because Japanese people doesn't buy American games, no matter how good they are. I don't think there's any chance at all SSBB beating Halo, but will have good sale anyhow.

Ti11erTheKi11er:
Wrong, Halo 2 was **** - Halo 3 is good. Haven't seen anyone saying Halo 2 better, only wannabe-nostalgic ****s with no clue.

Zorrioh

Smash Rookie
NNID
Hyozans
3DS FC
1848-1766-0747
Brawl will beat Halo 3. Wii is selling hard, and because SSBB has a wider audience it can in-capture, it will sell more than Halo 3. At least eventually.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
Maybe not at first, but Brawl will catch up and pass Halo 3. There's so many more people that will buy it that don't like Halo 3. I'm not saying this because I like smash more than Halo, they're both really fun games.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Because Japanese people doesn't buy American games, no matter how good they are.
I don't see how that helps the Halo argument at all. Fact is, a game that is more widely accepted will have a potentially larger audience.

Anyway, on topic, if Brawl can get over a million sales in 10 days in Japan, you are easily looking at 2 million+ in the US. 3 million there, in two regions, that doesn't even count Australia and Europe, which will probably get at least 1.5 million total.

4.5 million, in around two weeks. Even if it's not higher than Halo in opening day, it will do better in the end.

The FPS market is over saturated and more and more FPS games are being released further pushing Halo aside. Notice that Halo 3s sales drastically dropped after most of the previous Halo fans got their copies. While that will happen with Smash, it won't have nearly the impact for one important reason:

Smash Bros is in a genre that doesn't get great games often, and on top of that because of how it's played it's almost in a genre of it's own. Because of that, it is a mainstay and won't be pushed aside nearly as quickly.

Forget Me Not

Smash Apprentice
I don't see how that helps the Halo argument at all. Fact is, a game that is more widely accepted will have a potentially larger audience.

Anyway, on topic, if Brawl can get over a million sales in 10 days in Japan, you are easily looking at 2 million+ in the US. 3 million there, in two regions, that doesn't even count Australia and Europe, which will probably get at least 1.5 million total.

4.5 million, in around two weeks. Even if it's not higher than Halo in opening day, it will do better in the end.

The FPS market is over saturated and more and more FPS games are being released further pushing Halo aside. Notice that Halo 3s sales drastically dropped after most of the previous Halo fans got their copies. While that will happen with Smash, it won't have nearly the impact for one important reason:

Smash Bros is in a genre that doesn't get great games often, and on top of that because of how it's played it's almost in a genre of it's own. Because of that, it is a mainstay and won't be pushed aside nearly as quickly.
QFT. Plus look at the current sales of the Wii compared to Xbox 360. I'm sure that every Wii owner will end up buying Brawl when it is released. Hell, when we get more Wii's in I always try to sell the people who get a Wii a Brawl preorder. Brawl will end up following the steps of it's predecessor and end up one of the best selling games ever.

Halo is simply another FPS. It's a good one, but there are so many other one's better (IMO). I'm sure Halo felt the hurt on sales when COD4 appeared.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I say Brawl/Halo 3 Battle will be the same as the Wii/360 battle
Halo 3 has a HUGE startout, MONTHS ahead of SSBB, being released first CAN make a difference.
But then, so did the Xbox360 have a date advantage over the Wii.
Now, the Wii has sold like hot cookies, and has 3 million more copies than the Xbox360.
So, I say the same with Brawl. Brawl will slowly climb up to have more copies out.
In all sence, The Wii is dominating the Market, therefore, so is Brawl

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
jay~B, can you not read? This thread has been here since September of 07. You started your thread after, which means you didn't search this thread out and a mod was careless and missed it.

Your thread will be locked. Post count and number of pages don't matter, its who made it first.

illphil

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if Brawl will outsell Halo 3. I personally hope that it will though..
Why? How does it affect you?

I'm glad SSBB isn't overhyped like Halo 3 was. I got ridiculously excited for Halo 3 a few weeks before it came out and I didn't even own a 360, I was just planning on playing it at a friend's house. I played it about twice before I lost interest and it just became something to play when my mind was numb.

rklamer

Smash Cadet
Honestly, I wish I could say Brawl is going to stomp on Halo 3's sales... but realistically, I seriously doubt it will. The advertising campaign behind Halo 3 was immense; even the most adept Nintendo fanboy will admit that this is true.

I really hope that I will be proven wrong by saying this, but Brawl will not outsell Halo 3.

Blu-ninja

Smash Journeyman
brawl is the obvious winner..why?

combine the sells of every popelar nintendo game, and BAM!

ultimate seller.

nintendos' fanbase is super dedicated. and very big.

theres absolutely no way halo wins.or gets close.

IKExFALCO

Smash Rookie
brawls gonna stomp a hole in halo because young and old gamers will be picking it up its the perfect party game

jay~B

Smash Journeyman
jay~B, can you not read? This thread has been here since September of 07. You started your thread after, which means you didn't search this thread out and a mod was careless and missed it.

Your thread will be locked. Post count and number of pages don't matter, its who made it first.
I never said they did, don't make it worse for me sugar. I know that mine will be locked soon, maybe

I tried not to come off offensive, but whatever, i don't even care any more.

and i did search it, this thread never popped up, back when i did

Top Bottom