• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which will sell better: Halo 3 or SSBB?

SiD

Smash Master
Yeah, but those are in the past. In this generation as well as the current one, hardcore gamers got left in the dust. Just look at the library of games on the Wii and the ones coming soon. Then do the same for 360 and PS3 and you'll see what I'm saying. You could do the same on the Gamecube, real gamers just aren't as into Nintendo as they were back in the day, plain and simple.

booster2

Smash Rookie
Yeah, but those are in the past. In this generation as well as the current one, hardcore gamers got left in the dust. Just look at the library of games on the Wii and the ones coming soon. Then do the same for 360 and PS3 and you'll see what I'm saying. You could do the same on the Gamecube, real gamers just aren't as into Nintendo as they were back in the day, plain and simple.
you cant say that nintendo doesnt at least have the largest hardcore fan base(and i wont get into the ps3(i would go into a HUGE rant on its faults if you make me))

SiD

Smash Master
you cant say that nintendo doesnt at least have the largest hardcore fan base(and i wont get into the ps3(i would go into a HUGE rant on its faults if you make me))
I don't like the PS3 either for the record.

But you're wrong, Nintendo doesn't have the largest hardcore fanbase. They just don't, get over it and move on.

Black/Light

Smash Master
. . . .Wth is up with all this "hard core" talk? Brawl is going to sell hella well for a hella long time no matter how many people you "think" only like the Wii for cas stuff.

Hell, smash isn't even only a "fighting game for the hard-core gamer", it's part party game with goofy items and crazy stages for pure fun that can very well attract the "non-gamer/ cas gamer". From my point of view smash is a series that can appeal to many people across the boad.

And can anyone define to me wth a "hard-core" gamer is? Is a "hard core" gamer someone who only plays hard a** games that reg people wouldn't be attracted to or does it mean that you have to play mostly non-mini game stuff?

From where I stand some people seem to think that non-mini game stuff will not sell well on the Wii which is a **** dirty lie.

(And Wii is getting tons of 3rd party support thank you very much. . . (-_-) )

SiD

Smash Master
First of all, we weren't talking about Brawl we were talking about Nintendo in general. And the Wii does not have tons of 3rd party support, look at it compared to the other systems. I never said "non-mini game stuff" wouldn't sell on the Wii, I said majority of Wii owners are casual gamers. Nintendo fanboys like yourself refuse to deal with the fact that Nintendo is not the force it used to be, sure the Wii is great but most of it's games are just casual games.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
halo will sell more(at least initially(likely in the long run too))
but nintendo pretty much owns the real hard core(though that is kinda changing)so they will likely get the most real gamers
Nintendo isn't about hardcore gamers. Wii is the furthest cry from hardcore in gaming history.

i dont think i could count how many people i have meet that considered themselves hardcore just because they liked GTA and halo(where was this poll anyway)i will agree that right now the 360 is ahead, but i am talking about the whole run of nintendos(there thousands of NES,SNES,N64,etc diehards)
It's not about liking Halo or GTA, it's about playing games that have substance. Wiifit doesn't have substance. Wii sports doesn't not have substance. Super Monkey Ball does not have substance. Rayman Rabid Rabbits does not have substance.

Wii has a bunch of ******** minigame oriented games flooding the system. If you call that hardcore I can't imagine what you call casual.

. . . .Wth is up with all this "hard core" talk? Brawl is going to sell hella well for a hella long time no matter how many people you "think" only like the Wii for cas stuff.

Hell, smash isn't even only a "fighting game for the hard-core gamer", it's part party game with goofy items and crazy stages for pure fun that can very well attract the "non-gamer/ cas gamer". From my point of view smash is a series that can appeal to many people across the boad.

And can anyone define to me wth a "hard-core" gamer is? Is a "hard core" gamer someone who only plays hard a** games that reg people wouldn't be attracted to or does it mean that you have to play mostly non-mini game stuff?

From where I stand some people seem to think that non-mini game stuff will not sell well on the Wii which is a **** dirty lie.

(And Wii is getting tons of 3rd party support thank you very much. . . (-_-) )
Black, ps2 ports from games that came out a year ago is not very good 3rd party support thank you very much.

Wii's sales come mostly from casual audiences. If Wii was Gamecube 2 without motion sensing it would sell as well as the GC.

Brawl may not be a hardcore game but it's on a casual system, the old people in nursing homes are not going to look out for Brawl like other gamers. The same goes for soccer moms, and the considerably younger aged kids that are into wii now

Black/Light

Smash Master
Black, ps2 ports from games that came out a year ago is not very good 3rd party support thank you very much.
Im talking about the future homs. We are getting crappy ports because 3rd party dev slept on the Wii and are trying to play catch-up so that they can get that money.
Theres a hella lot of good 3rd party games in the making and soon to come.

Wii's sales come mostly from casual audiences. If Wii was Gamecube 2 without motion sensing it would sell as well as the GC.
Well the Wii is the Wii and thats part of what Nintendo is aiming for. Besides, show me some proof to say that Wii owners aint getting "hardcore" games? Last time I checked like 1/3 of all Wii owners had TP (it was 50/50 at one point in time early in it's release).

Brawl may not be a hardcore game but it's on a casual system, the old people in nursing homes are not going to look out for Brawl like other gamers. The same goes for soccer moms, and the considerably younger aged kids that are into wii now
Well its a good thing that theres a crap load of people that are not "old folks/ soccer moms" that have a Wii right?

Brockman5

Smash Ace
its true that the wii has a lot of stupid mini games on the system but it too has hardcore games that people love and really get into...

And third party support for the wii is comming look at ea canada comming out with medal of honor heroes 2 for the wii..its opening a gate for the wii' wifi capabilities... with its 32 player online mode..

And any third party that is smart will start developing for the wii because they want the money...period

M.K

Level 55
Of course, when the Wii came out, Nintendo basically said "This Is For Everyone! Suck It Real Gamers"

Seriously, the stories about getting Grandma Apple to start playing video games were cute at first, but not now, it's just getting too...kiddy...

Mari0sPooPoo

Smash Journeyman
Meh... At least this thread inspired this sig I made.

Besides, if you ask this question on a site called "SMASHBOARDS.COM" your going to get an overwhelming majority on Brawl. :laugh:

But really, when you compare the fact that Halo 3 has almost unlimited boundaries considering hype and online play, to the fact Brawl will be a solid game with great new features along with being sold near christmas, you really can't draw upon a conclusion.

And it will be a while before we can safely say which sold more... I mean, Melee sold a big chunk of packages after almost a half-year after release. Halo 2? Well, not as much.

So what's my opinion? My opinion is of course Brawl. My supporting fact? Well, the game appeals to mostly all age groups. Halo3 doesn't. My 8 year old bro would rather play with Brawl much more than Halo3.

I guess I should end my rant... Nobody is probably reading halfway through. :chuckle:

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Im talking about the future homs. We are getting crappy ports because 3rd party dev slept on the Wii and are trying to play catch-up so that they can get that money.
Theres a hella lot of good 3rd party games in the making and soon to come.
I haven't heard of anything good. So far there's Tales of Symphonia 2 [can't remember the real title], Soul Calibur Legends [Namco's way of saying Wii isn't worthy of Soul Calibur 4 [SC4 is not for Wii]], No more Heros and that's about it.

Well the Wii is the Wii and thats part of what Nintendo is aiming for. Besides, show me some proof to say that Wii owners aint getting "hardcore" games? Last time I checked like 1/3 of all Wii owners had TP (it was 50/50 at one point in time early in it's release).
That's one game. What about those that don't like Zelda?

And third party support for the wii is comming look at ea canada comming out with medal of honor heroes 2 for the wii..its opening a gate for the wii' wifi capabilities... with its 32 player online mode..

And any third party that is smart will start developing for the wii because they want the money...period
EA gives support to just about everyone, that's nothing new. MoH isn't all it's cracked up to be as I've heard [just the other day one got poor reviews for awful controls].

Ubisoft is way ahead of you, they decided to make more minigame games for the Wii, they're making lots of money already. Unfortunately they confirmed that their profits from Wii are going towards PS3 and 360. It was in the Wii thread, if you're interested.

Impact009

Smash Journeyman
Impact009, you're asking that on a Smash Bros. forum. what do you think the answer will be?

Anyway, as climactic and finale-like as Halo 3 is going to be, all I really care about in that game is whether or not the aliens lose..
I think I will get a few "yes" answers. Are you trying to insinuate that not a single competitive Smasher plays Halo 2 competitively?

Black/Light

Smash Master
I haven't heard of anything good. So far there's Tales of Symphonia 2 [can't remember the real title], Soul Calibur Legends [Namco's way of saying Wii isn't worthy of Soul Calibur 4 [SC4 is not for Wii]], No more Heros and that's about it..
Well, I guess thats your opinion. My list of good 3rd party games to look forward to. . .
(includeing the ones you listed)
FFCC
"King Story"
Rygar
Da Blob
Zack & Wiki
Sonic Rush (yes, Im looking forward to playing that)
Oboro Muramasa (looks interesting and I like side strollers)
Dragon Blade (looks like a interesting hack&slash. Would be a nice used game)
Rise Jedi…Star Wars: The Force Unleashed

Plus some others Im keeping my eye on at the moment to see how they turn out.
(Oh, and SCL is Namco's way of saying that they aint too sure how to use Wii's motions controls to make a tight fighting game on the level of SC right now according to interveiws.)

That's one game. What about those that don't like Zelda?
My point was that, as of now, about 1/3 of Wii owners have gotten this "hard core" game. Meaning that yes, a "hard core" game can do well on the Wii and that theres a nice chuck of people who have a Wii for more than just "cas-games".

. . .Soo, is the "general Nintendo" talk going to focus into Brawl v Halo 3 talk anytime soon or what?

Black/Light

Smash Master
Can't edit so sorry for the 2x post. . .
SID- It's a fact that the Wii is way behind when it comes to hardcore gamers, as well as 3rd party support.
1, The Wii is a MASSIVE inprovement over the GC in terms of 3rd party support. Wii is getting some good 3rd party support if the "we are shifting more focus onto Wii devilopment" comments I see soo often are anything to go by. 3rd Parties just need time right now seeing as must of them slept on the Wii.

2, Whats your deal with "hard core" gamers? Is this or has this ever been you?

IDK what makes someone a "hard core gamer" nor do I know what makes someone a "cas-gamer" but I do know that Wii is doing what Nintendo wants it to do which is expanding the market/ getting the whole fam into gaming and changing the way we play games. And what are they nowing in the process? Selling more than the other guys. . .

Oh, and I would greatly appreacheate it if you would reframe from calling me a "Nintendo fanboy" as you did in your first reply to me after one post. . .
I perfer to refer to myself as a Nintendo loyalist ( aka a loyal Nintendo fan). I may love nintendo's games and systems but by no means will I start useless attacks on other systems in debates or will I blindly rant about w/e.
THIS is the meaning of the word Fanboy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fanboy
And THIS is a fanboy in action!!!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=25LceCPO1ys

And plus, I actually plain on getting a 360 once I get a job so that I can have the option to play games that are not on Nintendo's Wii with features the Wii leaks (strong online gaming).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Hardcore gamers don't only play mature rated games, they play whatever game they play to the limit, kind of like how people here play Smash competitively.

All Nintendo's 'expansion' is doing is neglecting the very people that supported them since the beginning. It's pretty clear which direction they will continue to go, they spent more time on Wiifit at E3 than they did with Brawl and Mario Kart wii.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Hardcore gamers don't only play mature rated games, they play whatever game they play to the limit, kind of like how people here play Smash competitively.
Well, I wasn't saying that thats a "hard core" gamer, just asking him if thats his views on what a hard core gamer is. Im pretty sure that other people have their own views of what a hard core gamer is just as you have yours seeing as I rearly hear the same meaning twice for it.

All Nintendo's 'expansion' is doing is neglecting the very people that supported them since the beginning. It's pretty clear which direction they will continue to go, they spent more time on Wiifit at E3 than they did with Brawl and Mario Kart wii.
How is nintendo "neglecting" their fans? I don't see people complaining about TP. . . we got a good LoZ game. I don't see people complaining about MP3. . . we got a good MP game. And we are getting a new Mario game plus brawl along with B:Wars soon. What, because they aint putting all their focus on us makes them "neglectful"?

And so what if they focused on WiiFit at E3.:ohwell:
We get Brawl news ever week day and Mario kart is a ways off from being released. Plus, the WiiFit game is the first game to use the "Wii Balance Board " which is a new thing for devs to play with. I have seen some good 3rd party thoughts on what they could do with the Wii Balance Board for thier games. (and it's not like E3 is the way it use to be anyway...it's clearyly more of a buss thing now)

Plus nintendo already said that they wanted to do their own event thats more focused around their fall stuff like Brawl and Mario back when E3 was happening. They are holding their own event on Oct 10th which is a few days before E4all which is also suppose to have a big Nintendo influance (according to what I read around E3 time atleast).
Theres a good chance that the nintendo games we look forward to will be playable there and we will get the attention we where looking for from that shell-of-a-E3 that dissapointed alot of fans for all systems.

blazer787

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't understand why everyone thinks Halo will win. I'm not being a fanboy, I'm being logical. The Wii is more popular than the 360. A lot more popular.
the wii is only more popular becuse of price. the 360 is more exspensive in america, but world wide it is struggling because it is even more exspensive in other countries. popularity has little to nothing to do with wii sales. if popularity was graded by games then the wii would get a big, fat, F!
because of the price of the wii, brawl MIGHT sell more, but i highly doubt it.

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Hmm.... Ya know, it's really hard to say. If it were any system other than the Wii I'd go off of console sales as an indicator, but since it IS the Wii, we have no idea what kind of reaction Brawl will get from the more casual audience, people who may never have seen Smash before. It could go either way. Personally I'm just glad the game is finally out and the X-Box owners are too busy playing the game to extol its virtues.

>.>;;

Conker1

Smash Ace
Halo sold 5 Million.

SSBM sold 6 million. - Highest selling GC game

Halo 2 sold 9 million. -Highest selling XBox game

I'm thinking Halo 3 will outsell SSBB. But game-starved Wii owners will close the gap a bit.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
****it I have Halo 3 in my hands right now...But I don't have a 360 yet...:(

Igneous42

Smash Ace
Halo 3 was just released... Anyone know what the sales are so far?
Well it's the fastest selling game ever (beating the record set by it's predecessor) so off to a pretty **** good start.

Bungie claims that it's first day even beat out harry potter and the deathly hollows and Spider Man 3's opening days, but like IGN I have to question the truth of those statements.

here is the article http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/823/823255p1.html

sugarpoultry

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well, Smash Bros. Melee is still the number one selling GC game out there, then again, the Halo's are all still very popular, so both have a fighting chance. I vote Brawl personally.
I agree. Both have their success, and both do well. Honestly though, with the Wii being so successful, I'd think Brawl will have a way better chance.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Well it's the fastest selling game ever (beating the record set by it's predecessor) so off to a pretty **** good start.

Bungie claims that it's first day even beat out harry potter and the deathly hollows and Spider Man 3's opening days, but like IGN I have to question the truth of those statements.

The statements are true. There was an article about it in my last edition of Business Week.

Halo 3 had revenues of $170 million in the first day and Spiderman 3 only had $104 million. Total revenue from the three Halo series is approaching $1 billion, but the Spiderman series has made around $2.5 billion.

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion

Out-beating Harry Potter?! No ****ing way!

Shuma

Smash Hero
Yeah, i can tottaly see Smash outselling Halo. I know i sayd in the first posts, and i say it again.

The_Smash_Champ

Banned via Warnings
Well i know a guy whose playing Halo3 right now and i asked him, you think Brawl will be able to beat Halo 3? he immedietly said "Yeah of course, smash bros brawl is just a totally diffrent game while Halo3 is an improved version.

Sir James

The Doctor
Halo 3 will have higher sales initially, but I believe Brawl will outsell it in the long run. Melee outsold Halo and I expect Brawl to outsell Halo 3. It may not happen right away, but over time Brawl will be the winner.

SiD

Smash Master
Halo 3 will have higher sales initially, but I believe Brawl will outsell it in the long run. Melee outsold Halo and I expect Brawl to outsell Halo 3. It may not happen right away, but over time Brawl will be the winner.
It may have outsold the first Halo, but not Halo 2.

And it's true, Halo 3 made the most money on it's first day than anything, including Harry Potter, because of how many copies of Harry Potter were sold at a discounted price. 170 million in 24 hours, and some of you expect Brawl to outsell it? It's not gonna happen.

Top Bottom