• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Which gen is the best gen?

Which gen is the best gen?

• Gen I

Votes: 34 24.3%
  • Gen II

Votes: 50 35.7%
  • Gen III

Votes: 32 22.9%
  • Gen IV

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • and just for the sillies, Gen V

Votes: 13 9.3%

• Total voters

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Since I'm curious which gen people like the most, I decided to make this poll.

I'd have to say 2nd gen. It brought Celebi <3

Tacel

Smash Lord
The first gen. Since they could do anything they wanted to (it was the first one), all of the Pokémon were really creative. Even the names had a great deal of thought into them.

Of course, this is all in my opinion.

EDIT: Post 1,111! :bee:

WiyamMang

Smash Journeyman
I only chose Generation 1 because of the starters. They just had much more charisma and inspiration in the designs. I'm truly not a fan of any of the later starters. They all seemed bland and uninteresting. Just opinion, though.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
The first gen. Since they could do anything they wanted to (it was the first one), all of the Pokémon were really creative. Even the names had a great deal of thought into them.

Of course, this is all in my opinion.

EDIT: Post 1,111! :bee:
Seel... talk about creativity there.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
II

Pokemon silver is ranked #3 in the game I have the most hours on, third to Brawl and Melee, at 600 hours. It's like that for a reason.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Gen I. Contains my favorite Pokemon and it was the gen that started the Pokemon craze.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
Gen II is my favorite. It's my favorite region to explore, oddly enough (yeah, I even like it more than Hoenn), and all the stuff they added in Gen II was stuff that I could actually appreciate in full. Even if it was minor stuff and, in some cases, just a building block for what was later to come (such as the phone idea).

Gen III, am I the only one who thinks Johto is full of misfits?
And this is also why. I <3 misfits. :3

Bowser_Gangsta

Smash Lord
Gen.III. It was my most hyped Pokemon game and will always be my favorite region to explore, no matter what B/W bring to the table. The pokemon were diverse and... I guess everything else was too. You had a freaking DAD for petes sake.

I also think Johto had alot of "meh" pokemon. None can compare to Tropius <3 <3 <3

Spire

III
BRoomer
So far I love what we know about Gen V, but I just can't bring myself to vote for it. Gen III by far. It was the most imaginative and it had Tropius.

I just love the geographical variations and how the Pokémon felt so incredibly fresh and new compared to the first two generations. You know up until now, I kept wanting Pokémon designs to go back to the roots, but I'm happy that they're trying new stuff out with every couple generations. Gen I and II can be grouped together as the classicized "simplistic animal" generations and Gen III and Gen IV can be described as the "abstracted creature" generations. Gen V is abstracting them even moreso than before.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
Generation 2. Simply because it had all of Gen 1 in it and then the new Pokes for Gen 2 were pretty darn cool. Plus Gen 2 has my favorite Pokemon in it, Steelix.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Generation two brought my favorite Pokemon ever, Tyranitar. I can't diss on Gen 2. Some say sequels suck compared too . . .

Gen2 didn't

Spire

III
BRoomer
Generation two brought my favorite Pokemon ever, Tyranitar. I can't diss on Gen 2. Some say sequels suck compared too . . .

Gen2 didn't
Gen 2 was awesome though. It's like if after playing through Termina and beating Majora in Majora's Mask, you went back to Hyrule and played an alternate OoT: in the same land, temples, and such, but without the premise of defeating Ganondorf since he was sealed in the Twilight Realm.

finalark

SNORLAX
Gen II was the best in my opinion but I decided to go gen three just because of all of the nostalgia behind it for me.

finalark

SNORLAX
Gen II was the best in my opinion but I decided to go gen three just because of all of the nostalgia behind it for me. I met some of my best friends through those games, among other things.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Gen 2 was awesome though. It's like if after playing through Termina and beating Majora in Majora's Mask, you went back to Hyrule and played an alternate OoT: in the same land, temples, and such, but without the premise of defeating Ganondorf since he was sealed in the Twilight Realm.

Now that I'm almost done with Majoras Mask and beat OoT recently for my first time, I can say I agree.

It wasn't just the game though. The designs won it for me. Simple things like Lugia look so freaking cool. This is why I like Gen5, it seems they are going back to simple designs, which is very nice.

finalark

SNORLAX
It wasn't just the game though. The designs won it for me. Simple things like Lugia look so freaking cool. This is why I like Gen5, it seems they are going back to simple designs, which is very nice.
The reason why I'm actually pretty interested in Gen V is just because of how much they're shaking things up this time, even if it's just small things. Actual cities that look like cities rather than a bunch of buildings rather scattered all over the place? I'm okay with that! Roads and cars? It brings more realism to Pokemon which I'm pretty cool with. Older Protagonists? Now I don't have to run around as a ten-year-old the entire game.

Oh yeah, and the sprites are actually going to be animated beyond a simple opening animation. Two words: freaking. Awesome.

RuNNing Riot

Smash Lord
Gen. III was actually the one which really brought me into Pokemon, which is why it gets my vote (I'd played Red and Blue a little bit before, but I totally lost interest with Johto).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Gen two, but only just.

It added 2 new types
It added a whole new area plus the ability to go back to Kanto years later. Was cool seeing things like Cinibar Island being destroyed by a volcano.
It added Steelix
It had hold items
It had Mystery Gift and customisable bedrooms! Every day me and my brother would meet up with the friend next door so we could mystery gift. I got a Virtual boy!
Pokemon Stadium 2.
EDIT: First Female character with an awesome design, and animated sprites. REAL animated sprites, not two sprites moved around and distorted

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Poll's not even public?

Gen 1 for me, because I enjoyed the simplicity. The sprites were hilarious and I felt like it was solid in all aspects. Not because of sheer nostalgia, but because I can still have fun playing it today. My full list would probably be 1 -> 3 -> 4 -> 2.

Gen 2 for me. It had Pichu in, that is more then enough for me to love any gen.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Poll's not even public?
Hehe, that was my own slip up. This is my first poll, so I wasn't sure which option was the public one. I'll get it eventually

@sleepy god

Ewww, I don't like Gear :/. It just tells me that it'll be this gen's Bronzor :urg:

I prefered generation 2 for it's gameplay, but Pokemon-wise, I gotta go with gen-3. I love Swellow, Grumpig, Sceptile, Salamence and Metagross just for their looks. If you take out the Regis they had a fairly good legendary lineup too (and no birds that time around either lol).

I prefered generation 2 for it's gameplay, but Pokemon-wise, I gotta go with gen-3. I love Swellow, Grumpig, Sceptile, Salamence and Metagross just for their looks. If you take out the Regis they had a fairly good legendary lineup too (and no birds that time around either lol).

UberMario

Smash Master
In order from favorite to least favorite:

-Gen II (Daytime, Introduction of Color to the series, Epic Music, Awesome storyline, breeding, ability to go to Kanto, amazing animations in Crystal, Gen I trainer cameos, only two things I didn't like were the "lack" of original pokemon [The ones that were original were awesome, but there were a LOT of stage I and stage III "addons"] and the ridiculously short lifespan of the GBC cartridge batteries)

-Gen III (Amazing music, not one, but TWO new bad teams, introduction of abilities, a great storyline, a unique friendly rival triangle rather than your average "I hate your guts!" rival of the previous two generations, lots of new pokemon, introduction of contests [even if it was a little awkward, it showed Game Freak branching out more], only two things I didn't like that much were the lack of visible day changes and the lack of Pokemon Crystal-caliber animations which is quite . . inexcusable)

-Gen I (Awesome games, but the types are very imbalanced and the storyline is a little generic, the games were pretty badly glitchy also, to the point where you could actually damage the cartridge by performing some of the more infamous ones)

-Gen V (The animations and pokemon revealed already have me, but I don't know enough about the games themselves [as most of us don't] to readily place this higher YET, the 3D graphics are ok but don't really blend with the sprites and the map kind of looks like a giant jigsaw puzzle that was skewed everywhere)

-Gen IV (The MIDI-based battle cries ruined it for me, the pokemon were pretty unoriginal and other than the antics of the two rivals [who, like in Gen III, were friends, but these were more mischievous] it really didn't feel that original, plus the whole Arceus thing kind of screws around with the series, I mean shouldn't the world explode if a god (as in like a greek god) was captured from the rage of the others?)

xLeafybug =D

Smash Master
Gen 2 Brought Scizor and Tyranitar, two of my favourite Pokemon. Gen 1 had Vaporeon, and Gen 3 brought Breloom, my other two favourite Pokemon. So meh.

It was also the most enjoyable of the series for me, and it introduced new types.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
It's not that it sucks, it's just that people ignore the positive qualities and pick the other games.

Feocart

Smash Apprentice
Woah, didn't know gen II was this popular.

I'll just go with nostalgia, gen (freakin') I.

Top Bottom